Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.

Here are the final Sox positional numbers (these are baseball reference numbers which are slightly different from fangraphs):

C:   .229  29   96 (.737 OPS, 10th in MLB & close to 5th place.)
    1B: .329  28 118 (.944 OPS, 4th in MLB & close to 3rd place.)
    2B: .308  21   93 (.862 OPS, 1st in MLB.)
    3B: .270  20  102 (.812 OPS, 3rd in MLB.)
    SS: .279  10    76 (.730 OPS, 7th in MLB)
    LF:  .258  16   75 (.723 OPS, 18th in MLB -behind TB!)
    CF: .316  34  112 (.925 OPS, 2nd in MLB.) 
    RF: .233  14    58 (.652 OPS, 28th in MLB)
    DH: .308  29  102 (.925 OPS, 1st in MLB)

With Drew gone, Papi and V'Tek Free Agents, and Scutty an option, there are some big decisions to make.

RF was clearly our beiggest weakness with LF close behind. Papi leaving will make DH a big question mark. Scutty leaving may change the results from that slot as well.

The big offesnive question looking towards 2012 is Papi, followed closely by Youk's health/bounce back ability and our RF outlook.

If Papi walks, it could be possible to lose .150 in OPS at DH, but gain .150 in RF to break even. If Youk becomes our DH or partial DH, how much will we lose in offense at the 3B slot with Aviles and Lowrie getting serious time there? How much help can Lavarnway give us at the DH or Catcher slots? Can we expect much from Reddick, Kalish, Middlebrooks, or Iglesias next year?

The bigger question might be: if we spend to address all of these slots, will our pitching suffer? Afterall, we do look to need 2 starters and at least 2-3 relief guys, especially if Papelbon walks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.

In Response to Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.:
    Here are the final Sox positional numbers (these are baseball reference numbers which are slightly different from fangraphs): C:   .229  29   96 (.737 OPS, 10th in MLB & close to 5th place.) 1B: .329  28 118 (.944 OPS, 4th in MLB & close to 3rd place.) 2B: .308  21   93 (.862 OPS, 1st in MLB.) 3B: .270  20  102 (.812 OPS, 3rd in MLB.) SS: .279  10    76 (.730 OPS, 7th in MLB) LF:  .258  16   75 (.723 OPS, 18th in MLB -behind TB!) CF: .316  34  112 (.925 OPS, 2nd in MLB.)  RF: .233  14    58 (.652 OPS, 28th in MLB) DH: .308  29  102 (.925 OPS, 1st in MLB) With Drew gone, Papi and V'Tek Free Agents, and Scutty an option, there are some big decisions to make. RF was clearly our beiggest weakness with LF close behind. Papi leaving will make DH a big question mark. Scutty leaving may change the results from that slot as well. The big offesnive question looking towards 2012 is Papi, followed closely by Youk's health/bounce back ability and our RF outlook. If Papi walks, it could be possible to lose .150 in OPS at DH, but gain .150 in RF to break even. If Youk becomes our DH or partial DH, how much will we lose in offense at the 3B slot with Aviles and Lowrie getting serious time there? How much help can Lavarnway give us at the DH or Catcher slots? Can we expect much from Reddick, Kalish, Middlebrooks, or Iglesias next year? The bigger question might be: if we spend to address all of these slots, will our pitching suffer? Afterall, we do look to need 2 starters and at least 2-3 relief guys, especially if Papelbon walks.
    Posted by moonslav59

moon, I feel decisions made on Lackey and Papi will dictate our needs most. 

In my perfect world getting a starter like Garza, for Lackey, Cash and a prospect if necessary would be a huge start.  Garza still has two arb years before becoming a FA so the Cubs probably won't budge.  If we can't trade Lackey and he ends up in our rotation it may be tough next season unless John has his best season yet for us.  We need two reliable starters in my opinion so Buerhle, Wang, CJ are also possibilities.  You know I like Madsen and Weiland as additions to the pen.  Mad Dog, could be a good fit so we don't have the same problem next season if we need Aceves to start a game.

#1 Beckett
    #2 Lester
    #3 Buccholz
    #4 Garza or Lackey
    #5 Wang, CJ or Buerhle
    #6 Aceves
    #7 Wake? Who knows but not in a position to pitch much.

Bard, Pap "unless the money is needed", Morales, Jenks, Madson, Weiland, Aceves, Albers?

Papi is the second most important decision,
    I think Papi wants to return and will, if we address the pitching.  He wasn't happy with the moves made down the stretch.  Bad pitching really took its toll on our offense and David was one of many that were frustrated.  Offer Papi two years with a third year team option.  I feel better about Youk staying healthy with Aviles on Board and Middlebrooks maybe late in the year.  Lowrie I'm on the fence with along with the SS position in general but thought Scuter played really well.  Iglesias later in the season and catching Lav and Salty.  If it doesn't work out and the Cards are struggling next season?  Make a move on Molina, it would round out a very strong team.  Jacoby?  Sign him, otherwise a trade needs to be made at some point.    

Positional additions?  Cuddyer or Beltran in RF

Anything more "if needed" will depend on Papi, Pap and Lackey decisions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon, I feel decisions made on Lackey and Papi will dictate what moves we really need. 

What happens to lackey is minimal. We won't get much for him if he is moved, and if he stays, he should not be counted on for anything more than a ST shot at becomming our 5th starter.

The biggest decisions are Papi and Paps. As I have said before, if we seriously want to upgrade our starting rotation and address RF, RP, and SS, we will probably have to let Papi or Paps walk. Depending on which one will determine which way we go. If we keep both, we will have serious issues at several key positions unless we increase payroll.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Great stuff as usual Moon.

It is ironic that the Crawford signing was laregly intended to at least get the RS halfway home in correcting the lack of offense from the OF and it did not make a dent.

Moving forward I think the RS have to count on getting better production from LF without making any changes there. They have no choice. RF may be a platoon with a non-tender or trade prior to non-tender. Not sure the RS are going to be all that crazy about forking out draft picks in exchange for a Cuddyer or a Willingham. I think the RS ride roll the dice with Reddick and/or Kalish and cross their fingers that one doesn't get hurt while the other fails at the MLB level.

I don't see Iggy starting the year in MLB and that pretty much makes Scoot's option very attractive.

Ortiz obviously is a domino on offense much like Papelbon is in the bullpen. Money and years will rule the day. I doubt the RS will just walk but assuming this operation does not change all that much when Theo hands the mantle over to Cherington, the RS have their valuation set and have plans to go either way. I think the RS won't let either guy fester until after the GM meetings and will have made their decision whether they are in or out before the winter meetings.

But overall if we look at the postion players from a stand point of offensive production this view tells us what I think we knew. Aside from the OF the RS are where they want to be, MLB average or above with lots of above average.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.:
    In Response to Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs. : moon, I feel decisions made on Lackey and Papi will dictate our needs most.  In my perfect world getting a starter like Garza, for Lackey, Cash and a prospect if necessary would be a huge start.  Garza still has two arb years before becoming a FA so the Cubs probably won't budge.  If we can't trade Lackey and he ends up in our rotation it may be tough next season unless John has his best season yet for us.  We need two reliable starters in my opinion so Buerhle, Wang, CJ are also possibilities.  You know I like Madsen and Weiland as additions to the pen.  Mad Dog, could be a good fit so we don't have the same problem next season if we need Aceves to start a game. #1 Beckett #2 Lester #3 Buccholz #4 Garza or Lackey #5 Wang, CJ or Buerhle #6 Aceves #7 Wake? Who knows but not in a position to pitch much. Bard, Pap "unless the money is needed", Morales, Jenks, Madson , Weiland, Aceves, Albers? Papi is the second most important decision, I think Papi wants to return and will, if we address the pitching.  He wasn't happy with the moves made down the stretch.  Bad pitching really took its toll on our offense and David was one of many that were frustrated.  Offer Papi two years with a third year team option.  I feel better about Youk staying healthy with Aviles on Board and Middlebrooks maybe late in the year.  Lowrie I'm on the fence with along with the SS position in general but thought Scuter played really well.  Iglesias later in the season and catching Lav and Salty.  If it doesn't work out and the Cards are struggling next season?  Make a move on Molina, it would round out a very strong team.  Jacoby?   Sign him, otherwise a trade needs to be made at some point.     Positional additions?   Cuddyer or Beltran in RF Anything more "if needed" will depend on Papi, Pap and Lackey decisions.
    Posted by craze4sox

Yeah, I can just see Theo trading Garza for Lackey to initiate his Cub's GM tenure.

Undecided

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great stuff as usual Moon.

It is ironic that the Crawford signing was laregly intended to at least get the RS halfway home in correcting the lack of offense from the OF and it did not make a dent.

Moving forward I think the RS have to count on getting better production from LF without making any changes there. They have no choice. RF may be a platoon with a non-tender or trade prior to non-tender. Not sure the RS are going to be all that crazy about forking out draft picks in exchange for a Cuddyer or a Willingham. I think the RS ride roll the dice with Reddick and/or Kalish and cross their fingers that one doesn't get hurt while the other fails at the MLB level. 

My choice is to find a cheap RH'd platoon guy who is a decent fielding RF'er (unlike DMac). Someone suggested Cody Ross.

I don't see Iggy starting the year in MLB and that pretty much makes Scoot's option very attractive. 

I like Scutty back as well, especially if we lose Papi and Youk DHs a lot.

Ortiz obviously is a domino on offense much like Papelbon is in the bullpen. Money and years will rule the day. I doubt the RS will just walk but assuming this operation does not change all that much when Theo hands the mantle over to Cherington, the RS have their valuation set and have plans to go either way. I think the RS won't let either guy fester until after the GM meetings and will have made their decision whether they are in or out before the winter meetings.

I agree, their plans are greatly effected by Papi and Pap's decisions.

But overall if we look at the postion players from a stand point of offensive production this view tells us what I think we knew. Aside from the OF the RS are where they want to be, MLB average or above with lots of above average.

I'd hate to lose Papi, but I really think that we can not drop off too much on offense fi we get a platoon RF'er who can hit lefties, get an uptick from CC, and let Aviles and Lowrie cover most of the 3B duties as Youk transitions to DH. Lavarnway may also contribute some to take up the slack.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs. : Yeah, I can just see Theo trading Garza for Lackey to initiate his Cub's GM tenure.                                    
    Posted by harness

If the Cubs want Theo anything could happen.  I love it when someone makes this kind of comment.  At the moment Theo isn't negotiating anything for the Cubs because isn't employed by them.  If he does want the Cubs position without waiting another year he may want to hope we do get some decent compensation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Aviles and Lowrie at 3rd base? Keep Reddick in RF?????
    Why not just join AAA, and replace Pawtucket.
    These are the Boston Red Sox, not the 1960 KC A's.
    They can afford to upgrade over the junk you want to put on the field.
    You act like it's your money and you're broke.
    It's not your money, and they're far from broke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It would be interesting if he was involved in determining his own compensation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

LOL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Aviles and Lowrie at 3rd base? Keep Reddick in RF????? Why not just join AAA, and replace Pawtucket. These are the Boston Red Sox, not the 1960 KC A's. They can afford to upgrade over the junk you want to put on the field. You act like it's your money and you're broke. It's not your money, and they're far from broke.
    Posted by GhostofTito

Lowrie has little value to the Sox or trade market.  Bring Scuter back along with Aviles, then bring Iglesias in towards the end of next season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It would be interesting if he was involved in determining his own compensation.
    Posted by moonslav59
    I don't know about compensation but I am sure his desire to bring staff with him is part of the negotiation. I can't imagine at this point Epstein is an active part of the RS workings on any matter and the Cubs certainly are limited in what they can do with him. He is for this brief period in limbo I would think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs. : I don't know about compensation but I am sure his desire to bring staff with him is part of the negotiation. I can't imagine at this point Epstein is an active part of the RS workings on any matter and the Cubs certainly are limited in what they can do with him. He is for this brief period in limbo I would think.
    Posted by fivekatz

Yeah, I was joking, but I suppose it is not out of the question that Cubs management might secretly ask Theo what prospect he'd prefer to give up for himself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs. : I don't know about compensation but I am sure his desire to bring staff with him is part of the negotiation. I can't imagine at this point Epstein is an active part of the RS workings on any matter and the Cubs certainly are limited in what they can do with him. He is for this brief period in limbo I would think.
    Posted by fivekatz

Yes. Theo is currently his own GM!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP is simple and therefore effective.  It reminds us the lineup was actually pretty good this year even with the hitting hole in RF.    I do like the idea of just assuming CC will get better in 2012.  And, as for RF, it seems to me almost any fix will be better than this year.  A solid righty bat in RF would be great, but maybe too hard to get. 

If would be nice to hang onto both Ortiz and Youkilis--with them plus Pedey, Jake, and AGon the Sox had five guys with terrific OPS's for a large chunk of 2011--but I agree with those who think maybe Youk needs a break at 3B, which would mean letting him DH a lot more and letting a lesser bat play there.  Unfortunately, that has the potential of losing OPS and production at both DH and 3B, as moonslav's OP makes clear. 

Keep Scutaro another year. 

Improve the pitching, which was the Sox downfall.  Every MLB team needs 5 starters and 7 relievers, and the Sox have three of each:  Beckett, Lester, Buchhholz, Papelbon (for a price), Bard, and Aceves.  Albers, Wheeler, Jenks, Miller, Weiland, Wakefield, etc are just the usual suspects. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The OP is simple and therefore effective.  It reminds us the lineup was actually pretty good this year even with the hitting hole in RF.    I do like the idea of just assuming CC will get better in 2012.  And, as for RF, it seems to me almost any fix will be better than this year.  A solid righty bat in RF would be great, but maybe too hard to get.  If would be nice to hang onto both Ortiz and Youkilis--with them plus Pedey, Jake, and AGon the Sox had five guys with terrific OPS's for a large chunk of 2011--but I agree with those who think maybe Youk needs a break at 3B, which would mean letting him DH a lot more and letting a lesser bat play there.  Unfortunately, that has the potential of losing OPS and production at both DH and 3B, as moonslav's OP makes clear.  Keep Scutaro another year.  Improve the pitching, which was the Sox downfall.  Every MLB team needs 5 starters and 7 relievers, and the Sox have three of each:  Beckett, Lester, Buchhholz, Papelbon (for a price), Bard, and Aceves.  Albers, Wheeler, Jenks, Miller, Weiland, Wakefield, etc are just the usual suspects. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

In our position I don't see us making a run at Reyes and from what I have read he may be the Brewers top choice.  Scuter needs to be brought back to ancor the SS position with Aviles backing up both SS and 3B.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they let Scuter go for the money in favor of Aviles at SS and Lowrie as back up.  An extra 5mil to play with never hurts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Do you guys really see anything more in Reyes than you did Crawford? His numbers thus far do not warrant a big contract... he and Crawford appear quite similar on paper, shockingly similar.

Reyes is 28 years old and averages 200 hits, 34 doubles, 15 triples, 12 homers, and 57 stolen bases. This is a 162 game average though he has not played in more than 133 games in 3 seasons.  .341 is his obp.

Crawford is 29 years old who averages 191 hits, 29 doubles, 13 triples, 14 homers, and 51 stolen bases.  His obp. average is .333 over the 162 averge.

Im sorry but anyone trumping Reyes is asking for double trouble, you know he would not come cheap either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A solid righty bat in RF would be great, but maybe too hard to get. 

Not if he stinks against righties and we platoon him with the winner of the lefty slot between Kalish and Reddick. We can get a cheap platoon bat that hits over .800 vs LHPs and perhaps gain 100-150 points in RF at very little cost.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do you guys really see anything more in Reyes than you did Crawford? His numbers thus far do not warrant a big contract... he and Crawford appear quite similar on paper, shockingly similar. Reyes is 28 years old and averages 200 hits, 34 doubles, 15 triples, 12 homers, and 57 stolen bases. This is a 162 game average though he has not played in more than 133 games in 3 seasons.  .341 is his obp. Crawford is 29 years old who averages 191 hits, 29 doubles, 13 triples, 14 homers, and 51 stolen bases.  His obp. average is .333 over the 162 averge. Im sorry but anyone trumping Reyes is asking for double trouble, you know he would not come cheap either.
    Posted by BurritoT

I agree. Stay away from Reyes. 

(By the way, CC's OBP was .337 before we signed him: almost the same as Reyes, except that Reyes is a SS and a .341 OBP by a SS is very very good thses days.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

For the millionth time, who in their right mind would want Reddick taking 80% of the at bats in RF?
    He's useless with men on base.
    As for Kalish, nobody knows when or if he'll be ready for the 2012 season.
    This team needs right handed power from somewhere, and Kalsih/Reddick and some jerkwater right handed platoon, ain't gonna cut it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For the millionth time, who in their right mind would want Reddick taking 80% of the at bats in RF? He's useless with men on base. As for Kalish, nobody knows when or if he'll be ready for the 2012 season. This team needs right handed power from somewhere, and Kalsih/Reddick and some jerkwater right handed platoon, ain't gonna cut it.
    Posted by GhostofTito

For the millionth time, you act like we can spend $220M+. I am assuming our budget stays about the same and we will have to go light somewhere. Of course I'd rather have better than reddick or kalish in RF. Tell us how you'd spend $30M and fill all these roles:

SP
    DH
    RF
    C
    SS
    SP
    RP
    RP

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

What Moon said; love how most posters have no idea about the value of roster slots, options remaining, and the notion of a budget.

Here's a tidbit for you: John Henry once made a lot of money from trading secondary securities.  HE LOST MUCH OF THAT MONEY.  Now his Fenway Sports Group income is generated by team operations.  Do you people know what that means?  It means we can't spend like the Yankees, even though our budget is huge compared to the Tampas and Arizonas.

Moon, I'd say the biggest initial question is whether one assumes that we can contend in 2012.  By betting self says no, but management must behave as if "yes," and of course as a fan I hope they do contend.

If so, it really boils down to whether or not Kevin Youkilis can contribute.  If he can, you fill the huge need for RH offense.  As far as alternate 3B goes, it's Aviles "or other;" Jed Lowrie can't stay on the field and don't think that's forgotten in the current KFC docudrama.  Aviles can also spell Scutaro at short; he will be renewed at $4.5M cost of roster slot.  Marco's contract length also provides flexibility in developing and evaluating Iglesias.  By next winter, we should know if he's our future.

If Youk comes back, hits and stays in the lineup, you can really direct the $30M or so to resigning Papelbon and Ortiz.  The latter should be much calmer once a manager is named.  Papelbon resigning will be a challenge.

Then you can pick up a cheap backup catcher - yes, Tek included - and simply expect that the team will improve it's performance. 

Ultimately, Ellsbury overproduced last year and CC underproduced.  Together, their cumulative #'s are likely to be similar, and that's fine.  RF doesn't HAVE to be an offense generator, not when you have Pedroia at 2nd and the other two outfielders.  If Ortiz walks, that might shift.

Simply, when Kevin Youkilis plays at 3/4 of his 2009 self, the RS need only one more thing to contend: a more mature clubhouse.  That's not a roster management thing.

Alternatively, if June rolls around and RS are in 3rd or 4th and the vibe isn't good (and some here may be very surprised at how possible this is), then a lot of changes are to be expected.

THAT is when I would expect to see Lackey's contract eaten.

To see Beckett shopped - very aggressively. 

Youkilis and/or Lowrie traded.

Tek "retiring" ... or being cut rather dispassionately if he won't go gently into that good night.

And the ultimate move that Cherington may have to make if the Sox aren't doing will in mid-2012: trade Ellsbury.

Because there is a real chance Jacoby is simply waiting to get out of town, and you would like to get something serious in return.

There are two scenarios, love to hear your thoughts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Lackey is seeing a specialist this week. Hopefully those results will shed some light on what to do with him next year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Oh yeah! John Henry and company are broke. Maybe we should pass the hat at the next sellout crowd at Fenway. Raffle off a weekend on John "Po Boy" Henry's 120 foor yacht.
    Must be why they were able to spend all kinds of millions on
    an English soccer team and race care acquisitions.
    They're sitting on a giant cash cow on Yawkey Way.
    They have NESN. Concessions to rob everyone attending games.
    Please! Don't think anyone is going to buy the poormouth pap.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Can you imagine if Carl was a short-stop, he would have melted like Renteria this year.

Sections
Shortcuts