Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.

The RF situation is going to be a platoon as others have said.  It is inexpensive and presents to opportunity to add an extra RH/LH bat against LH/RH pitching. 

What happens with Papi will determine a lot.  If he leaves, then Youk can do some DHing, play some 1st to let Agone DH and they can get Aviles/Lowrie starts at 3rd, although personally I hope I've seen Lowrie's last AB in a Red Sox uniform.

I think Tek has to go, so the 2nd catcher spot is vacant or they fill it with Lavaraway and the Red Sox have a 10 syllable catching platoon. 

SS is a pretty big decision.  I like Marco but defensively he is not a great ML SS.  My guess is they bring him back for another year because they are still in waiting on Iglesias mode and are not going to go spend big somewhere else. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What Moon said; love how most posters have no idea about the value of roster slots, options remaining, and the notion of a budget.

Yeah, like I really want Reddick  in Rf over someone like Holliday or Kemp. The reality is that Henry may spend more, but I doubt it will be a lot more than 2011's payroll budget. I figured we have about $30M to spend on many slots. It is a near certainty that one or more of the slots will be filled from within the system. Here are the choices: choose your poison...

Closer: Move Bard to closer and try like H3LL to replce Bard cheaply via free agency and guys like Aceves, Jenks, Doubront, Morales, Albers, Atchison...

DH: Move Youk to DH and fill 3B with an Aviles/Lowrie/Middlebrooks jumble, or use Lavarnway primarily as the DH, or use Youk and Lava.

SS: Use Aviles/Lowrie/Iggy or take Scutty's option at about a $4.5M differential
    (12:$6M club option/$3M player option ($1.5M buyout))

RF: Use Reddick or Kalish vs RHPs and get a cheap RH'd platoon FA.

SP: Go with Lackey as the #4 and hope Dice-K can come back to form by late July. Other options? Doubront, Tazawa, Weiland or cheap FAs like Bedard, Wake, Wang, or Webb.

Here's a tidbit for you: John Henry once made a lot of money from trading secondary securities.  HE LOST MUCH OF THAT MONEY.  Now his Fenway Sports Group income is generated by team operations.  Do you people know what that means?  It means we can't spend like the Yankees, even though our budget is huge compared to the Tampas and Arizonas.

We (Henry) could spend big, but I doubt it will happen. GhostofTito wants to think we can fill each and every slot with top dollar players. I wish we could. I have asked him to provide his ideas instead of blasting every suggestion brought up here. Nothing but crickets... 

Moon, I'd say the biggest initial question is whether one assumes that we can contend in 2012.  By betting self says no, but management must behave as if "yes," and of course as a fan I hope they do contend.

This is actually the first question to be answered. While henry would never admit to 2012 being a "bridge year" or rebuilding year, they could decide to push hard for 2013 not 2012, but give the fans the impression we are trying for 2012. Jacoby probably walks for the 2014 season, so one could think our window is 2012-2013. Beckett, Youk, and a few others are getting old, but still are good enough to help get a ring in the next couple years. However, they could also bring in some nice top prospects via trade (as would Ellsbury).

I choose to believe we will go for a ring in 2012, but no go "for broke". We have a great nucleus of players.

If so, it really boils down to whether or not Kevin Youkilis can contribute.  If he can, you fill the huge need for RH offense.  As far as alternate 3B goes, it's Aviles "or other;" Jed Lowrie can't stay on the field and don't think that's forgotten in the current KFC docudrama.  Aviles can also spell Scutaro at short; he will be renewed at $4.5M cost of roster slot.  Marco's contract length also provides flexibility in developing and evaluating Iglesias.  By next winter, we should know if he's our future.

I actually think Aviles/Lowrie at 3B, with Aviles backing up Scutty and lowrie backing up Pedey, makes for a decent "go light" possibility. Youk could still play some 3B and 1B, and his health be "saved" by primarily playing DH. There's also a chance Middlebrooks could contribute by year's end. I only say this as a choice if the money saved on letting Papi walk is used to upgrade our staff or RF. I have mentioned how bad our RF OPS was this year. It wouldn't take much money to bring our RF OPS up to about .800. That's a .150 gain and could more than compensate for the drop off at DH and 3B.

If Youk comes back, hits and stays in the lineup, you can really direct the $30M or so to resigning Papelbon and Ortiz.  The latter should be much calmer once a manager is named.  Papelbon resigning will be a challenge.

If we go with Youk at DH and Papi walks, I think we can keep Paps and still build up RF, keep Scutty, and add a nice starting pitcher.

Then you can pick up a cheap backup catcher - yes, Tek included - and simply expect that the team will improve it's performance.  

Ultimately, Ellsbury overproduced last year and CC underproduced.  Together, their cumulative #'s are likely to be similar, and that's fine.  RF doesn't HAVE to be an offense generator, not when you have Pedroia at 2nd and the other two outfielders.  If Ortiz walks, that might shift.

Yes, see above.

Simply, when Kevin Youkilis plays at 3/4 of his 2009 self, the RS need only one more thing to contend: a more mature clubhouse.  That's not a roster management thing.

Alternatively, if June rolls around and RS are in 3rd or 4th and the vibe isn't good (and some here may be very surprised at how possible this is), then a lot of changes are to be expected.

THAT is when I would expect to see Lackey's contract eaten.

To see Beckett shopped - very aggressively.  

Youkilis and/or Lowrie traded.

Tek "retiring" ... or being cut rather dispassionately if he won't go gently into that good night.

And the ultimate move that Cherington may have to make if the Sox aren't doing will in mid-2012: trade Ellsbury.

Because there is a real chance Jacoby is simply waiting to get out of town, and you would like to get something serious in return.

All very real possibilities.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Tell us about Adam Dunn.
    Tell us about how wonderful Lowrie is.
    Tell us how wonderful Wakefield is.
    Tell us how wonderful Varitek is.
    Tell us how the Sox are broke or under some imaginary(your imagination) salary cap.
    Hey, if you want to spend night and day pretending you're the Sox GM/CPA, that's your business.
    Show me where I said every position should be manned by superstars?
    What I have said, and you seem deaf and blind to is:
    THIS TEAM NEEDS RIGHT HANDED POWER.
    If you think putting crap in RF is an answer, then you are a fool. If you think giving Gags Reddick 80% of the at bats with a scrub right handed hitter off the trash heap, you don't know baseball.
    This team had the worst corner OF production in MLB and the worst in modern Sox history. FACT!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Final Sox Season Positional Numbers and Our 2012 Needs.:
    [QUOTE]Tell us about Adam Dunn. Tell us about how wonderful Lowrie is. Tell us how wonderful Wakefield is. Tell us how wonderful Varitek is. Tell us how the Sox are broke or under some imaginary(your imagination) salary cap. Hey, if you want to spend night and day pretending you're the Sox GM/CPA, that's your business. Show me where I said every position should be manned by superstars? What I have said, and you seem deaf and blind to is: THIS TEAM NEEDS RIGHT HANDED POWER. If you think putting crap in RF is an answer, then you are a fool. If you think giving Gags Reddick 80% of the at bats with a scrub right handed hitter off the trash heap, you don't know baseball. This team had the worst corner OF production in MLB and the worst in modern Sox history. FACT!
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]What's your answer? What is your budget?

We can't assume that the RS will or won't spend more than they did last year so go ahead spend what you want and tell us who is this RH power bat that is going to fix the run scoring problem that highest scoring team in MLB last year had?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Lackey was your answer to improving the rotation. I noticed you didn't give a specific starting pitcher name to improve rotation. I also noticed, on another thread, you have Wakefield down as the #5 starter for 2012.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Yeah, moon is delusional with continuing to put Wakefield as an option. They are moving on without the 46 year old knuckleballer who is, as they say an "innings eater". Who cares.  He requires someone to catch his knuckle ball. There is a reason why there are only 2 of them in all of baseball. 

Bedard won't be back either. He's always hurt and he can't pitch in pressure situations. That's why he went from Baltimore (laughing stock) to Seattle (laughing stock).

Wake is done in Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]For the millionth time, who in their right mind would want Reddicktaking 80% of the at bats in RF? He's useless with men on base.As for Kalish, nobody knows when or if he'll be ready for the 2012 season. This team needs right handed power from somewhere, and Kalsih/Reddick and some jerkwater right handed platoon, ain't gonna cut it.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

He's yet to play a full M.L.season and yet you already draw this conclusion. Brilliant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Schilling is correct. Zero leadership in clubhouse. Varitek is useless. New leadership is on the way, and whoever was the clubhouse de jure leader should not be offered a FA major league contract. Good bye and good riddance to Wakefield and Varitek.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Tom Brady should visit the Red Sox clubhouse once in a while and give a motivational speech.    lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Let's hope Obama doesn't give his hope and change kiss of death speech.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Tell us about Adam Dunn. 
    I wanted him for 2009-2010 at $10M/yr 
    (.264  76 HRS  208 RBIs -.910 OPS)
    What's your point?

Tell us about how wonderful Lowrie is. 
    You mean "No Pop Jed"? Still one of the worst fielders in MLB. Still awesome vs LHPs. What's your point?

Tell us how wonderful Wakefield is. 
    Been there: done that. Better than more than 50 MLB starters, most of which are 3-5 starters, while Wake was our 6/7 starter. So, what's your point?

Tell us how wonderful Varitek is. 
    You mean the back-up catcher that had a better OPS than 14 of 30 FT catchers in MLB this year? What's your point?

Tell us how the Sox are broke or under some imaginary(your imagination) salary cap. 

It's not imaginary. It's pretty obvious the sky is not the limit. We've been pennies away from the luxury tax for year, but yeah, you're right, that must be just my imagination.

Hey, if you want to spend night and day pretending you're the Sox GM/CPA, that's your business. 

Better than you spending your day and nights blasting others and offering no alternative plans or ideas of your own.

Show me where I said every position should be manned by superstars? 

You seem to deny we need to "go light" at any open slot. You assume because I come up with an idea that upgrades several slots and leaves us with Reddick or Kalish platooning with a cheap RH'd RF'er, I am saying I prefer Reddick to someone more costly and better. It's a trade off. Denying that is what GMs do, is delusional. 

What I have said, and you seem deaf and blind to is: THIS TEAM NEEDS RIGHT HANDED POWER. If you think putting crap in RF is an answer, then you are a fool. 

I've been hammering away at our weakness against LHPs longer than anyone here. That's one reason I slammed the CCsigning. He stinks vs LHPs.  Picking up a platoon RH'd righfielder with an .850+ OPS vs LHPs could boost our RF OPS by 100-150 points next year at a low cost. In one of my ideas, I had Youk (RH'd by the way) to DH (replacing a LH'er in Papi), and trying to get david Wright (RH'd). 

Besides, this team need pitching more than RH'd power, fool. 

If you think giving Gags Reddick 80% of the at bats with a scrub right handed hitter off the trash heap, you don't know baseball. 

First of all, if you knew anything about baseball, you'd know that we are facing more than 20% left-handed pitchers. In 2011, we faced 34% left starters, and 32% LHPs in overall PAs. Plus, there will be some pitchers that our RH'd cheap platoon guy will have a better record against than Reddick or Kalish, so it is likely he will start in 35-40% of the games, not 20%. 

Secondly, I'm not a Reddick fan. I warned fans during his hot streak not to get giddy. I actually think Kalish could beat him out for the platoon role, but I'm pretty confident one of them (or both) can have a .750+ OPS playing only vs selected RHPs.

Thirdly, I'm Ok with sacrificing offense for pitching. We led the league in offense last year. Where did that get us?

This team had the worst corner OF production in MLB and the worst in modern Sox history. FACT!

And, we still led the league in hitting. What's your point?

Better yet, what's your plan, other than saying we need RH'd power... at what expense? At what trade off? 
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He requires someone to catch his knuckle ball. There is a reason why there are only 2 of them in all of baseball. 

Yeah, because it's such an awesome pitch that not only do hitters swing and miss it, but most catchers have trouble seeing it too and drop strikes. 

There's more than 2, just like there are 50 MLB starters equal or worse than Wake, while you said there were none. 

Wake is but one of many options I have mentioned. He did better than your winter of 2009 Ben Sheets & Erik Bedard picks. He did better than your Weiland, Miller and Wally picks of 2011.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey was your answer to improving the rotation. I noticed you didn't give a specific starting pitcher name to improve rotation. I also noticed, on another thread, you have Wakefield down as the #5 starter for 2012.  
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Your lies never cease.

Lackey was not "my answer". When they signed him, I joined you and others praising the deal as being too much money but filling a big need.

I have mentioned many pitchers this year. Who do you want? Sheets? Colon? Garcia? Weiland? Miller? Wally?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Been there: done that. Better than more than 50 MLB starters, most of which are 3-5 starters,

There is nothing remotely awesome about the pitch that T-Ball Timmy throws.

I listed my entire active roster, minor league FA contracts and total contract costs on another thread.

No MLB team would want T-Ball Timmy as #5 starter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

You mean that great offense that couldn't do anything against the mighty Orioles relievers, and were shut down by the Rays in September?
    The great hitters that anyone pitching left handed in September, caused
    this team to die at the plate? You mean that great offense?
    BALANCE. Look at the four teams that were in the LCS.
    All had balanced lineups.
    As for Reddick, I watched him at Pawtucket during the past two seasons.
    Just not impressed with anything about his hitting approach. After July, he regressed to his AAA norm. Maybe a 4th OF at best. Maybe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Been there: done that. Better than more than 50 MLB starters, most of which are 3-5 starters, There is nothing remotely awesome about the pitch that T-Ball Timmy throws. I listed my entire active roster, minor league FA contracts and total contract costs on another thread. No MLB team would want T-Ball Timmy as #5 starter.

Yeah, I saw your fantasy on the other page and saved it for an October 2012 laugh-O-rama.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When did I say Reddick was good?

Balanced line-ups? 

You mean nearly worse than ours from top to bottom by a balanced amount?

That TB line-up was scary too!

St. L? No, highly unbalanced and worse than ours top to bottom.
    1) .661 OPS (nice .310 OBP)
    2) .743
    3) .915
    4) .906
    5) .881
    6) .763
    7) .744
    8) .724
    9) .521 (Pitcher)

Texas? Yes, nicely balanced.
    1) .838
    2) .704
    3) .858
    4) .832
    5) .830
    6) .898
    7) .793
    8) .760
    9) .668

Brewers? No way, it's like having 5 CCs from the 5 to 9 slots.
    1) .852
    2) .733
    3) .961
    4) .971
    5) 627
    6) .639
    7) .685
    8) .739
    9) .489

Boston...
    1) .903
    2) .827
    3) .916
    4) .861
    5) .885
    6) .695
    7) .778
    8) .629
    9) .757

Your baseball knowledge is stunning.

BTW, we scored 46 runs in 7 games vs Baltimore in September. What's your point? Oh yeah, you have none with any substance, just bashing away at others.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just as I suspected: 

cue crickets...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]Let's hope Obama doesn't give his hope and change kiss of death speech.

Here’s the lastest lyrics to Hank Williams Jr.’s new song:

“Are you ready for some doucheebag?!”

“A real doucheebag party?!”

“We got Softlaw, and Hank, and LesPaul”

“They’ll get the douchyiness started”

It kinda goes on and on like that. (I don’t want to leak all of them! as you can tell, they're pure gold )

He’s truly a lyrical genius that Hank Williams Jr.

What an artist that guy is!

How does he do it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's even better in interviews.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

By balance, I meant lefthanded to right handed balance, especially in the heart of the batting order.
    Duh!
    Every one of the four teams in the LCS had killer right handed power hitters.
    Braun, Hart, Cabrera, Pujols, Holiday, Beltre, and Cruz.
    Sox? Zero. The team of Rice, Evans, Tony C, Nomar, Petrocelli et al, has not a single right handed hitter who ever hit 30-100. Youk came close a few years ago, but his HR numbers have declined as his injuries piled up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]By balance, I meant lefthanded to right handed balance, especially in the heart of the batting order. Duh! Every one of the four teams in the LCS had killer right handed power hitters. Braun, Hart, Cabrera, Pujols, Holiday, Beltre, and Cruz. Sox? Zero. The team of Rice, Evans, Tony C, Nomar, Petrocelli et al, has not a single right handed hitter who ever hit 30-100. Youk came close a few years ago, but his HR numbers have declined as his injuries piled up.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]I don't think anybody here doesn't get the concept. But with budget constraint and the fact that this supposed weakness did not prevent the RS from generating the best offense in MLB last year, platoon is one way to get there.

Because there are more RH pitchers in the game, RH hitters that can't hit them well are typically much more affordable than LH hitters with weakness against LH pitchers.

While this thread is about position players let's keep in mind this probably is not and really should not be the top priority for 2012. If we assume that Lackey will be dumped or was so bad that he can't be counted on, the RS go into the off season with only three quality starters under their control, Beckett, Lester and Buch. They will need 5 and would like to have some insurance on the 40 man roster too. No matter what happens with Papelbon, the BP will need to be looked at, any year a team doesn't it comes back to haunt them.

Then there is the whole issue beyond budget of what the market can provide. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

All right handed hitters come through the minors hitting against both left and right handed pitchers.
    Left handed hitters are usually at a disadvantage when facing lefty pitching, because they just didn't see them much over the year. Of course, there are many exceptions.
    The AL batting champ and the NL runner up are both right handed hitters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

moon - good stuff, as always.

The Papi situation and the outfield corners should be top of mind when dealing with positional players.  (Pitchers are another story and another thread, IMO). 

Dilemma #1 - replace Papi and his 30+ HR and 90+ RBI or keep him and hope history repeats?  Possible solution - Let Papi go.  Sign Ryan Doumit for DH, backup C. Platoon at DH with Youk.

Dilemma #2 - outfield corners; move Crawford to RF, where his speed will help him get to the ball - even if his arm is a liability - and hope he rebounds offensively. Bid for Juan Bautista and put him in LF.  (You'll need a true thunderstick in the lineup to protect A-Gon.)   Bautista's output replaces Papi's.  

Dilemma #3 - Bid Tek adieu - send Lavarnway down for one more year; have Gary Tuck groom him as best as possible. Salty takes 3/4 of the crouches; Ryan Doumit takes the other 1/4.

Dilemma #4 - watch for declining skills for Youk at 3B - platoon Youk with Iglesias, Lowrie or trade for 3B before ST.

Advantages to this scenario - only requires two FA signings - $$$ are covered by not re-signing Drew ($15.95 mil) and Papi ($12.5 mil) and  Tek ($2 mil).  Offense is improved over 2011, if possible.   Open question - is $30 mil/year enough to sign Doumit and Bautista?  I would think so.

Disadvantages - defense is not as good as 2011 - oy - but hopefully offset by offense. Like him or not, Drew was adequate in RF.  (Where is the next Dewey Evans, btw?) 

What think?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

[QUOTE]moon - good stuff, as always. The Papi situation and the outfield corners should be top of mind when dealing with positional players.  (Pitchers are another story and another thread, IMO).  Dilemma #1 - replace Papi and his 30+ HR and 90+ RBI or keep him and hope history repeats?  Possible solution - Let Papi go.  Sign Ryan Doumit for DH, backup C. Platoon at DH with Youk. Dilemma #2 - outfield corners; move Crawford to RF, where his speed will help him get to the ball - even if his arm is a liability - and hope he rebounds offensively. Bid for Juan Bautista and put him in LF.  (You'll need a true thunderstick in the lineup to protect A-Gon.)   Bautista's output replaces Papi's.   Dilemma #3 - Bid Tek adieu - send Lavarnway down for one more year; have Gary Tuck groom him as best as possible. Salty takes 3/4 of the crouches; Ryan Doumit takes the other 1/4. Dilemma #4 - watch for declining skills for Youk at 3B - platoon Youk with Iglesias, Lowrie or trade for 3B before ST. Advantages to this scenario - only requires two FA signings - $$$ are covered by not re-signing Drew ($15.95 mil) and Papi ($12.5 mil) and  Tek ($2 mil).  Offense is improved over 2011, if possible.   Open question - is $30 mil/year enough to sign Doumit and Bautista?  I would think so. Disadvantages - defense is not as good as 2011 - oy - but hopefully offset by offense. Like him or not, Drew was adequate in RF.  (Where is the next Dewey Evans, btw?)  What think?
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE] Bautista is signed to a 5 year deal,the only way to get him is via a trade and the only trade possible would involve sox untouchablies that they would never trade.The youk's,reddick,kalish,doubrant etc. nonesense is a non-starter