Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey

There may be light at the end of the tunnel.This is from an article on signonsandiego.com:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/19/padres-exec-likely-heading-cubs-which-one/

The Padres have internally discussed the possibility of acquiring starting pitcher John Lackey from the Red Sox, if the Red Sox agree to eat most of Lackey’s contract. Lackey formerly pitched for Bud Black when the Padres manager was the Angels' pitching coach.

Lackey, 32, was 12-12 with a 6.41 ERA in 28 starts for the Red Sox in 2011 and recently came under criticism for his actions during games in the Boston clubhouse while between starts. Lackey has three seasons to go plus a vesting option for 2015 on a five-year, $82.5 million contract

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans

Best news we got was when Theo left Boston.
    Things can only get better now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I don't see how paying most of his salary is good news...unless they get something decent in return, which I had read previously that'd they want the sox to also take Orlando Hudson and his 6.5 million (?).  

I'd rather see them keep him until Spring Training, see if he can be a 5th starter, and if not than pay him to play elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans:
    [QUOTE]I don't see how paying most of his salary is good news...unless they get something decent in return, which I had read previously that'd they want the sox to also take Orlando Hudson and his 6.5 million (?).   I'd rather see them keep him until Spring Training, see if he can be a 5th starter, and if not than pay him to play elsewhere.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

He'll be hated in Boston if he stays.Not just because of his horrible seasons here,but also because of his participation in the clubhouse antics.If the Front Office can get him off the roster without having to pay 100% of his salary,it puts them in a better position salary cap wise to persue another pitcher.
      He might also benefit from a change in scenery.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see how paying most of his salary is good news...unless they get something decent in return, which I had read previously that'd they want the sox to also take Orlando Hudson and his 6.5 million (?).   I'd rather see them keep him until Spring Training, see if he can be a 5th starter, and if not than pay him to play elsewhere.

Like with most Theo Epstein blunders (see Julio Lugo, Renteria, Clement) sometimes its better to cut bait and take the loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Would be a pretty good thing to get rid of Lackey

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Totally agree.  So we pay Lackey to pitch for SD for 3 years and take on a 6 million dollar contract for our new backup 2B and this is exciting?  This is the kind of offer that is out there and that is why the best thing to do is bring him back, hope all this BS has motivated him and let him be the 5th starter.  What is the risk, that trade value gets worse?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Just get rid of this horrendous pitcher and teammate at any cost. He has to be #1 to go, if the Red Sox are to start rebuilding fan interest and any sort of positive vibe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Yep, can't see paying Lackey 15 mil to pitch for the Padres the next 3 years and adding a 6 mil contract that the Sox might not want...bad deal.  We laughed at the Yankees over their Pavano fiasco and now we want to get even worse by paying a pitcher to pitch for someone else at 15 mil for the next 3 years?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The article doesn't say anything about taking on anyone elses salary.It says that they'll take Lackey if the Sox are willing to eat most of his salary.No mention of any other player involved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Just have the Cubs take Lackey along with Theo and ask for nothing in return. Its Theo's signing. Since he is now with the Cubs (before his contract was up with Sox), make them take on Lackey and his contract with Theo.  That is fair compensation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Why not give Crawford to somebody and eat that contract too?  That would get rid of another bad apple on the team. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

McAdam is a lunatic. You don't pay Lackey to play elsewhere. You pitch him in 2012 and will almost surely get value improvement. As bad as he was, he still had a 2-1 record v. NY Yankees. In 2010 he was a very good #5 starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey:
    [QUOTE]There may be light at the end of the tunnel.This is from an article on signonsandiego.com: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/19/padres-exec-likely-heading-cubs-which-one/ The Padres have internally discussed the possibility of acquiring starting pitcher John Lackey from the Red Sox, if the Red Sox agree to eat most of Lackey’s contract. Lackey formerly pitched for Bud Black when the Padres manager was the Angels' pitching coach. Lackey, 32, was 12-12 with a 6.41 ERA in 28 starts for the Red Sox in 2011 and recently came under criticism for his actions during games in the Boston clubhouse while between starts. Lackey has three seasons to go plus a vesting option for 2015 on a five-year, $82.5 million contract
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I'd suspect that many teams would line up to take him off our hands if we pay the freight...in the end they'd have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he struggles then they just shut him down...the Sox have more than just San Diego to chose from if they eat 90% of his deal... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey:
    [QUOTE]McAdam is a lunatic. You don't pay Lackey to play elsewhere. You pitch him in 2012 and will almost surely get value improvement. As bad as he was, he still had a 2-1 record v. NY Yankees. In 2010 he was a very good #5 starter.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Really?A pitcher with a 6.41 ERA is a good 5th starter?I guess that would make Wakefield an Ace with a 5.12 ERA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey : I'd suspect that many teams would line up to take him off our hands if we pay the freight...in the end they'd have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he struggles then they just shut him down...the Sox have more than just San Diego to chose from if they eat 90% of his deal... 
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I agree. Plus, of all the bad-contract players we could swap Lackey for, Hudson seems like one of the least useful.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans : Totally agree.  So we pay Lackey to pitch for SD for 3 years and take on a 6 million dollar contract for our new backup 2B and this is exciting?  This is the kind of offer that is out there and that is why the best thing to do is bring him back, hope all this BS has motivated him and let him be the 5th starter.  What is the risk, that trade value gets worse?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  There's other options to me right now...even if he became the 2010 version of Lackey in Boston, not worth the contract, but better than paying his entire contract to play elsewhere.  If they have to eat most or all of his contract than you wait it out...in 2012, 2013, 2014 you can dump him and just pay his salary.

RSN is in total panic mode, and I don't think trading Lackey if you have to pay most or all of his salary is a level-headed thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Really?A pitcher with a 6.41 ERA is a good 5th starter?I guess that would make Wakefield an Ace with a 5.12 ERA

Learn to read. In 2010 he was a very good #5 starter. Timmy T-Ball was terrible in 2010 and 2011. Lackey, an Epstein mistake, was a good 2010 #5 starter and is about 50 years younger than Wastefield.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Lackey should get TJ surgery, rst and recoup a year, and come back in 2013.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Just get rid of this horrendous pitcher and teammate at any cost. He has to be #1 to go, if the Red Sox are to start rebuilding fan interest and any sort of positive vibe.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Fan interest?  Is there a big difference in attendance in games Lackey starts? No.  Fans are morons, if Lackey is in a Red Sox uniform next year and does well he will embraced and all we'll here about is what a great story his bounce back is.  Everybody loves a comeback.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If the Red Sox send enough money, the deal could benefit the Red Sox, the Padres and John Lackey.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans : Totally agree.  So we pay Lackey to pitch for SD for 3 years and take on a 6 million dollar contract for our new backup 2B and this is exciting?  This is the kind of offer that is out there and that is why the best thing to do is bring him back, hope all this BS has motivated him and let him be the 5th starter.  What is the risk, that trade value gets worse?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Pay the price here or Pay the price there and let SD suffer a season with him.Pay the price to watch that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The article doesn't say anything about taking on anyone elses salary.It says that they'll take Lackey if the Sox are willing to eat most of his salary.No mention of any other player involved.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

It seems like a good idea to me.  Not having Lackey pitching for the Red Sox next season should make them a better team.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Really good news would be that Lackey is scheduled for Tommy John surgery.  I believe that would give the Sox a cheap way out of the contract.

But this would be second place to that--a place willing to take Lackey if the Sox put up most of the money.  That is better than having to eat the entire contract, and I assume a minor leaguer would be a player coming in the other direction (someone has to be traded for MLB to approve the trasaction, I believe).

And I agree with the sentiment that this might help the Sox, the Padres AND Lackey.  Lackey pitching in PETCO will probably find it much easier.  Coming back to Boston for another season has to be something he dreads.  He will undoubtedly be hounded, despised and verbally abused.