Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey:
    Really good news would be that Lackey is scheduled for Tommy John surgery.  I believe that would give the Sox a cheap way out of the contract. But this would be second place to that--a place willing to take Lackey if the Sox put up most of the money.  That is better than having to eat the entire contract, and I assume a minor leaguer would be a player coming in the other direction (someone has to be traded for MLB to approve the trasaction, I believe). And I agree with the sentiment that this might help the Sox, the Padres AND Lackey.  Lackey pitching in PETCO will probably find it much easier.  Coming back to Boston for another season has to be something he dreads.  He will undoubtedly be hounded, despised and verbally abused.
    Posted by parhunter1

Does Lackey have a clause in his contract that if he gets TJ surgury his contract is voided?  I don't get how Lackey getting TJ is a "cheap way out" for the Red Sox. 

Gammons said in June Lackey needed TJ.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey : Does Lackey have a clause in his contract that if he gets TJ surgury his contract is voided?  I don't get how Lackey getting TJ is a "cheap way out" for the Red Sox.  Gammons said in June Lackey needed TJ.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

If he has TJ surgery, they should definitely eat the rest of the contract and not invest another penny in him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey : If he has TJ surgery, they should definitely eat the rest of the contract and not invest another penny in him.
    Posted by ADG

What does that mean? You don't think they should offer him an extention after 2014.... I don't know, tough call.

They still have to pay him for the next 3 years.  Am I missing something? How is Lackey having TJ in any way beneficial to the Red Sox. Is there some secret trade market I don't know about where teams want 15 million a year, washed up starters who need TJ surgury? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

I think the assumption is that the Sox have insurance on Lackey, which is not uncommon for large multi-year deals, especially pitchers.  If so, I guess it would depend on how the policy is written weather it applys to season ending or career ending injury.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey : What does that mean? You don't think they should offer him an extention after 2014.... I don't know, tough call. They still have to pay him for the next 3 years.  Am I missing something? How is Lackey having TJ in any way beneficial to the Red Sox. Is there some secret trade market I don't know about where teams want 15 million a year, washed up starters who need TJ surgury? 

One would have to read the exact details of Lackey's contract, right. The news here is that there is a possibility that with him needing TJ surgery that the RS might benefit. There is no given that they owe him for three more years unless you are a lawyer who is privy to the exact contract. You must be aware that some contracts have such provisions or include insurance in them. I would think that such a possibility would make a Red Sox fan like you happy. Am I wrong?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey : One would have to read the exact details of Lackey's contract, right. The news here is that there is a possibility that with him needing TJ surgery that the RS might benefit. There is no given that they owe him for three more years unless you are a lawyer who is privy to the exact contract. You must be aware that some contracts have such provisions or include insurance in them. I would think that such a possibility would make a Red Sox fan like you happy. Am I wrong?
    Posted by UticaClub

Exact details state that if he misses time with TJ the Red Sox get a free year in 2015.  Well that should make a fan like you happy, right?  I'm privy to Google, are you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why didn't you spell that out on your last post instead of being combative?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Why not give Crawford to somebody and eat that contract too?  That would get rid of another bad apple on the team. 
    Posted by traven

And when did Crawford become a bad apple? HE HAD A DOWN YEAR and so many want to crucify him..... the same people said the same thing about Papi and what does he do? he makes you all look like fools with a season like he had this year....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

No matter what happens they are eating his contract.  I say better to eat his contract and let him pitch elsewhere.  That is how bad he is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans:
    I don't see how paying most of his salary is good news...unless they get something decent in return, which I had read previously that'd they want the sox to also take Orlando Hudson and his 6.5 million (?).   I'd rather see them keep him until Spring Training, see if he can be a 5th starter, and if not than pay him to play elsewhere.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth

I agree with you... so the Sox pay millions for him to pitch elsewhere, get nothing or perhaps another bad contract in return and then what? sign another starter for millions? so now youre paying Lackeys salary, plus millions for another starter to replace him with no guarantee of this new starter doing any better ? makes no sense to me.... i say wait as well

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Many forum participants want instant results. They have no patience. After all their forum ego must be contested and reviewed daily and they have a tendency because of their ego to paint themselves into a corner with their statements. They are quick and live day to day. They come to the forum mot to be a fan of the team but instead to be a fan of themselves. At stake is their forum ego and who cares about the team. It is a sad situation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I don't like to see players traded away, but if Lackey is going to get all the abuse that Drew got, then I hope he is traded.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I think all players really try their hardest to do a good job. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. I've never understood the abuse they get for not living up to people's expectations. I'm sure they feel bad enough as it is without the constant beatdowns. And it certainly doesn't help their performance by putting more pressure on them. Common sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

anywhere else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lackey's ERA of 6.41 is the worst EVER by a Red Sox pitcher who went over 130 innings in their 103 years of existence.EVER.That's historically horrible.Add that to his displays of disgust with his teammates while he's pitching,his unwillingness to accept responsibility for his own failures and showing up Francona when he was being pulled from a game and any way you can get him off the roster without paying 100% of his salary is a plus.I won't even mention his off the field issues.No matter who replaces him in the starting rotation,it'll be an upgrade in talent and attitude.How can it be any worse?
       Some players can't handle playing in the Boston market and Lackey has shown that he's one of them with his results and actions.If he's still in a Red Sox uniform next year,he'll be absolutely crucified by fans and media alike.It'll be like Julio Lugo times 5.
      Like it or not,or whether you think it's fair,he's become the poster child for the 2011 Red Sox collapse.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

No matter what happens they are eating his contract.  I say better to eat his contract and let him pitch elsewhere.  That is how bad he is.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

I also believe that Lackey will be a much better pitcher for another team.  He just can't handle the pressure of pitching in Boston.  He wouldn't have been acquired by the Red Sox if he wasn't a good pitcher. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He was a very good pitcher but his velocity is down, his weight is up, and he's totally lost his mind. 

I had hope for him through the entire end of this season.  But too many things have happened to allow him back on the team.  If we could get rid of him, save 15% of his salary, and pick up a mid-level prospect in exchange it would be a huge win for us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans : Like with most Theo Epstein blunders (see Julio Lugo, Renteria, Clement) sometimes its better to cut bait and take the loss.
    Posted by OurMan

Like so many blunders, he also was in the chair when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007.

Nuff said.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

They can't bring him back to Boston...it would just be a disaster. They need to make a move after this whole debacle, and he's the scapegoat. You've got people calling for Beckett to be shipped out for a bag of balls for crying out loud. Lackey needs a change of scenery, and still could be a competitive pitcher somewhere else, especially in the NL.
    I say you have to see what the Padres are willing to give up. If they really want to get rid of Hudson, they may do a Beckett/Lowell deal and have a useful cheap player involved too. Or Hudson may not even be involved. They may do a sign and trade for a Bell or Ludwick. There's a lot of ways this can play out, and there's a lot of teams out there who would love a John Lackey if he was cheaper.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans :    Like so many blunders, he also was in the chair when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007.    Nuff said.   
    Posted by SinceYaz

Like so many refrained posts about how Tito and Theo were great because the Sox won two WS while they were "in the chair", this one fails once again to distinguish cause from effect. THEO WAS AROUND FOR THE WS WINS, BUT HE DID NOT PLAY THE GAMES. HE WAS, ON THE OTHER HAND, DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE (DIRECT CAUSATION) FOR SIGNING A LOT OF UNPERFORMING PLAYERS. THAT IS THE ONLY MEASURE OF HIS SUCCESS/FAILURE. HE DID HAVE SOME SUCCESSES, BUT HE HAD A LOT OF REAL FAILURES. ON BALANCE, HARDLY A WONDERKID.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Unless Lackey want to leave, the RS should retain his services. he may have had a bad year, but still had a winning season (albeit .500), and  how many starts did he miss? He is durable and we need guys we can depend on the take the ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the best thing would be for Lackey to be moved, but not if the team has to pick up most of his salary....what is the downside of bring him back and seeing if he improves....if he doesnt you could just cut him loose and it would cost you the same....if he does improve....maybe you could get a little more for him.....unless San Diego is willing to give  us a good prospect.....which I doubt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Finally,some good news for Red Sox fans concerning Lackey : Does Lackey have a clause in his contract that if he gets TJ surgury his contract is voided?  I don't get how Lackey getting TJ is a "cheap way out" for the Red Sox.  Gammons said in June Lackey needed TJ.

John Lackey rhp
    5 years/$82.5M (2010-14), plus conditional 2015 option
    • 5 years/$82.5M (2010-14), plus conditional 2015 option
      • signed by Boston as a free agent 12/16/09
      • $3.5M signing bonus
      • 10:$18M, 11:$15.25M, 12:$15.25M, 13:$15.25M, 14:$15.25M
      • 2015 club option at Major League minimum salary if Lackey misses significant time with surgery for pre-existing elbow injury in 2010-14
      • $0.5M assignment bonus if traded
      • award bonuses: $0.5M for MVP ($0.1M for 2nd-5th in vote); $0.1M for WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 each for All Star, Gold Glove
      • perks: suite on road, right to buy 6 premium seats for home games

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Unless Lackey want to leave, the RS should retain his services. he may have had a bad year, but still had a winning season (albeit .500), and  how many starts did he miss? He is durable and we need guys we can depend on the take the ball.
    Posted by Alibiike

He killed the bullpen this season and barely made it out of the fifth in way many games. At least dice would leave in 5th only giving up 0-2 runs!

Sections
Shortcuts