Fire Bobby V today

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Fire Bobby V today

In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today : Today you leave Doubront in: 1) Because he had pretty much dominated the whole game to that point. 2) He was only at 99 pitches (low enough to get through one more inning, likely). 3) He is one of the only bright spots on the entire pitching staff to this point. 4) And most importantly, the Sox DESPERATELY need a win. If the Red Sox have a winning record, then you probably make a more traditional choice and pull the pitcher.   I'm not calling for BVs head here.  After all the odds were still in the Red Sox favor with a 9-1 lead, just not as MUCH in their favor with this BP against a high powered offense.   I could care less about his tip of the cap to the crowd.....he's the opposite of Francona and those same boo birds likely got their wish when Francona was run out of town.  
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

No, you don't leave him in after 99 pitches and giving up a dinger in the 7th and a 9-1 lead.  You turn it over to the bullpen to get 9 more outs and hold onto an 8 run lead.  

I was a big Francona fan, but thought he was partially complicit in the September collapse, beer in the barracks, Lester and Beckett getting out of shape and gaining a bunch of pounds, etc.  He was hugely successful, but the trends were not good.

Bobby has been dealt a lousy hand, that's all. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Another fickle fan oriented manager gripe thread. The same was said over & over for TITO, a HOF caliber mgr. Bobby's general strategy is not the problem; see 2000 Mets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Fire Bobby V today": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today : The only person laughing was Bobby V .Whats up with that. A real manager would be taken this seriously. Tips his cap to fans while smiling ???  Laughing in dugout . Must be funny to him??? Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE] Fans were wrong to boo him. Nothing but fair rather fans who want Francona back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

In response to "Re: Fire Bobby V today": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today : Come on !!  You have to admit this whole Bobby Valentine thing has turned into a big fiasco. Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE] Even though I live outside US I hear WEEI as much as I can, and everything is about not liking BV personally. Not so much about baseball. Probably he will not make it because of the media pressure and his personal style. For instance, I like D&C but they are all over the guy. Now the job of BV as a manager making changes is going to be tested. If the team does not react by the end of next month, there could be a lot of changes including GM. Darn, THIS IS A WINNING TEAM

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Wait.  You mean that Bobby V can't turn this mess around?

I'm shocked.  I mean he seemed so special.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

How can Valentine be blamed for any of this? He played the hand he was dealt.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Fire Bobby V today": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Fire Bobby V today": Fans were wrong to boo him. Nothing but fair rather fans who want Francona back. Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE] No they werent he was hired by ownership over people the management wanted. Booing him is booing ownership and cheering for Youk and Pedroia.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today : No, you don't leave him in after 99 pitches and giving up a dinger in the 7th and a 9-1 lead.  You turn it over to the bullpen to get 9 more outs and hold onto an 8 run lead.   I was a big Francona fan, but thought he was partially complicit in the September collapse, beer in the barracks, Lester and Beckett getting out of shape and gaining a bunch of pounds, etc.  He was hugely successful, but the trends were not good. Bobby has been dealt a lousy hand, that's all. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

This to me is a continuation of last season, where this team (though some of the players are different) just find a way to lose.........dating back to the beginning of September, the Red Sox W-L must be one of the worst baseball stretches in history.  So yes, leaving Doubront in may seem a bit non-traditional, but the bottom line is, this gave the Red Sox the best chance to win, and to help try to buck this trend, IMO.  

I do agree with your Francona/Bobby V observations.  Bottom line is, the managers make choices and it's up to the players to execute.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Booing Valentine today the catcalls were ugly and uncalled for.

I felt sorry for the guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

even MSNBC thinks so...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/21/maybe-the-red-sox-really-should-fire-bobby-valentine/related/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Booing Valentine today the catcalls were ugly and uncalled for. I felt sorry for the guy.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

fans are fans, TWM booing is going to happen. flipping off red sox nation, with the owner a few feet away, wasn't the way to handle it. Youk was strike one, this was strike two. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

I don't really get the outrage, look at the holes this team has at every aspect. The record and and off the field junk that is happening is what I expect. Front office did nothing to improve this team, just hire BV to take the focus off the lack of a good team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

The bullpen is the problem, dude... not the manager...  I admit, I like Bobby V. He work with what he have.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

The front office just need and have to move! The RSox can't  continue like that.  Bobby V is not the problem man. The bullpen... That's it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd have taken out Doubront today, but so many of Valentine's decisions have simply unexplainable.  Just because some of the players have under-performed doesn't excuse the poor decision-making, it merely magnifies it.

0-0, bases loaded, a top-tier hitter up at bat, and how did Valentine warmed up in the BP to face Longoria?  Thomas and Albers, the two worst guys in the BP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today :  fans are fans, TWM booing is going to happen. flipping off red sox nation, with the owner a few feet away, wasn't the way to handle it. Youk was strike one, this was strike two. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Reading some of these posts how can anyone complain about removing Doubrant after 98 pitches?

How long should he have stayed in for 120?

Its only April the season isn't even started he can't burn out Doubrant in April.

I think the fans are expecting too much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today : Today you leave Doubront in: 1) Because he had pretty much dominated the whole game to that point. 2) He was only at 99 pitches (low enough to get through one more inning, likely). 3) He is one of the only bright spots on the entire pitching staff to this point. 4) And most importantly, the Sox DESPERATELY need a win. If the Red Sox have a winning record, then you probably make a more traditional choice and pull the pitcher.   I'm not calling for BVs head here.  After all the odds were still in the Red Sox favor with a 9-1 lead, just not as MUCH in their favor with this BP against a high powered offense.   I could care less about his tip of the cap to the crowd.....he's the opposite of Francona and those same boo birds likely got their wish when Francona was run out of town.  
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

non-sense. any manager would have thought the game was in the bag. at that point the manager had two responsibilities...
    1) remove the risk that doubront gets injured
    2) get the bp some real practice against good batters in an environment that is supposed to be pretty much under control.

how is the guy supposed to manage if he can't depend on the bp to hold on to an 8-run lead? hell today, they would not have held on to a 12-run lead. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]I'd have taken out Doubront today, but so many of Valentine's decisions have simply unexplainable.  Just because some of the players have under-performed doesn't excuse the poor decision-making, it merely magnifies it. 0-0, bases loaded, a top-tier hitter up at bat, and how did Valentine warmed up in the BP to face Longoria?  Thomas and Albers, the two worst guys in the BP.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe, how do you think the Yankee fans felt about who Girardi brought in to close todays game?

You have to go with the players you have and can't keep going to the same guys all the time or you won't have them fresh and you won't have them when need you them.

Girardi had to rest guys he's been using a lot of, Robertson, Wade and Mariano, Bobby V. has the same concerns both are looking at the big picture.

I don't agree with some of what Girardi does but in Bobby's case he is playing the players that he has.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire Bobby V today : Reading some of these posts how can anyone complain about removing Doubrant after 98 pitches? How long should he have stayed in for 120? Its only April the season isn't even started he can't burn out Doubrant in April. I think the fans are expecting too much.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it was the wrong move, TWM, the way Valentine handled it was. As the manager, you need to rise above it, especially with a fan base and market like Boston. Not gonna fly here. the fans expecting too much is a different discussion

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

If he has pitchers in his pen he has too use them, if they flop then it's up to management to improve the situation as the season progresses.

But Bobby has to send those guys out there sink or float thats what he has, thats what he has been given.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Look, I was against hiring Valentine from the start. He's self-aggrandizing, pompous, obnoxious, and I've never seen anything in his track record that warrants any of it.

That said, fourteen games into the season is insanely early to fire anyone. And though I'm not a fan in the least, he's nowhere near the biggest problem this team has now.

Sections
Shortcuts