Fire the piece of garbage Francona!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Re: Fire the piece of garbage Francona!

Well burrito, my heart is broken.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Fire the piece of garbage Francona!:
    Two more little league baserunning errors tonight and during a season you really need a manager that can tell players when they've screwed up and not just say, "oh, that's in the past" all season long. I was complaining about Francona when we were winning because bad baseball is bad baseball, and it usually catches up with you. That's three times in recent years it's caught up with Francona. He gets more talent than anybody and does so little with it. A frog could've managed this team to 100 wins. Francona managed 90. Fire the clown.
    Posted by Scott8340

Francona's one of the best, who may have had too much of a country club atmosphere this yr; otherwise, this is a fickle thread.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Fire the piece of garbage Francona!:
    [QUOTE]Francona should have Pinch Hitted for Lavarnaway.  There is no excuse for that.  None. PH may have failed - but any coach with half a brain would have done that. He Pinch Runs for Papi - but doesn't PH with a lefty with bases loaded. Ridiculous.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

And yet the entire fanbase was practically calling for Francona's head coming into last night's game if Lavarnway WASN'T in the starting lineup!  You Monday morning quarterbacks are all geniuses in hindsight! Try doing it the other way around and I guarantee your respective track records would pale in comparison to "Francoma"

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Yes, after such a great game Lavarnway needed to start. To potentially miss a white-hot streak would have been moronic.

However, to ignore the situation of the game, score, outs, runners, pitcher...and let him hit in the 9th, 1st and 3rd, with 1 out is equally moronic. That's why people go to calling him 'FranCOMA', he falls asleep at times. He was 0-4 at that point. There was NO REASON to let him hit. And don't even talk about only having one catcher at that point, the season was on the line, as Pedroia said "All hands on deck." Well, Francona was still managing for the potential of the next day.

As for the base-running. Francona is culpable. Yes, the 3rd base coach waived him home. But Francona is the leader of the team, and having so many gaffes on the basepaths is a reflexion of him (Ortiz trying to stretch a single into a double and getting thrown out is a PERFECT example, even if he made it, that was a stupid, stupid move by Ortiz). Francona didn't have them ready to play at the beginnning of the season, he started resting guys a month ago before they were in the playoffs, and he never held anyone accountable for anything at any point during the season.

I can't belive there is a defense for anyone on this team. This is the worst regular season collapse in the history of MLB. The Rays didn't catch the Sox, the Sox did their best to get caught. Maybe the ONLY time a manager has to actaully DO SOMETHING is when the team is in a tailspin. And Francona could do nothing to get this team right. There was no urgency until the past day or two. Everyone coasting, still talking about how they WERE going to get in.

Pathetic. There are NO excuses to be had. 89 wins followed up by 90 wins and back to back playoff misses with a payroll this obscenely inflated? Epstein AND Francona need to go. A lot of the players as well, these guys have gotten fat and happy. With the exception of Pedroia, I have no beef with him. Anyone else should potentially be on the firing line. Lester and beckett failed down the stretch. Ortiz and Gonzalez didn't perform when it mattered. Crawford never did. Pap only had 3 blown saves all year, but 2 in the past week when we needed him at his best. What happened to Bard? An MVP caliber player makes the catch when he runs into a wall, and 'run' is being generous.

Go ahead and keep buying bricks. Red Sox Incorporated will continue to commercialize everything Red Sox, and the soul will continue to be sucked from this franchise.

I wish Henry would sell the team, I don't like what his 'team' does with the franchise now either. Unholy partnerships with a ticket scalper. Taking over public streets. Embarrassingly pitiful press releases telling the public to not discuss one of their players. It's not the Red SOx Nation anymore, it's turning into the fVcking Red Sox Reich.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]He was the Angels "Ace" for several years. I get your point, and I was not calling him an ace when we signed him, the globe was. The Angels just never had anyone better, but they still competed and went to a WS. He started several of their opening days. There was even discussion of him starting our opening day in his first year.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]
    Not to nit-pick, but no he wasn't. You could argue he was their "ace" in '07 when he went 19-9 (Escobar was 18-7). But other than that season, he never won more than 14 games or had an ERA better than 3.44. He was 12-5 his last year there.

But I get your point, he was much better with the Angels than he's been with us.

As for calling Francona "a piece of garbage," well, I understand where you're coming from. For those who don't understand the game, blaming the manager is the easy way out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiggy1239. Show jiggy1239's posts

Tito is among the greatest managers in Sox history. He doesn't go out there and play the games...that is up to the "professionals" to motivate themselves to go out there and do it. Terry is an asset to the team in helping to bring stronger players in. Yes, it was an epic collapse, but Gonzalez and Crawford will be good. One of the reasons is they will enjoy Boston and Tito helps in that- a players manager. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Go figure, Red Sox fans blaming the coach for a teams lack of effort. LOLROFLMA

This just proves Red Sox fans really do not understand what it takes to make a winner. All hype and no substance. Do most of you watch the games from the Ferris Wheel in RF?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

If Francona is in fact the fall guy (Theo Epstein) should precede him.     Whoever a new manager will be must be a qualified "yes man" to Larry Lucchino.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It took 2 perfect throws to get both guys out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have been a Tippy basher since 2009. He lost this team down the stretch in 2009 also! Hire the bench coach from Tampa,Dave Martinez. While you are cleaning house make sure that Bogar is the first to go. Young wasn't the end all beat all pitching coach either! Witness the 6.90 ERA of the vaunted pitching staff!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Scutaro's gaffe was not being sent home, it was stopping between 2nd and 3rd when it looked like the ball might be caught.  At that point, you may as well keep on going, because if he catches it, you are going to be doubled off first anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire the piece of garbage Francona! : You're kidding, right? Of course he's not responsible for the baserunning errors. That's why teams employ base coaches. It was Bogar who waved Scutaro ...what, you think Francona was singling from the dugout?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    LLOYD, right or wrong the person I blame most for this is Josh Beckett, he let himself get out of shape really bad & disappeared during the stretch run. Francona is the  manager & has to be accountable for this & must pay with his job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Josh Beckett is to blame????? 

How about John Lackey?

Beckett?  That's insane.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

[QUOTE]. Don't you wonder how Lackey was an ace for so long under Sciosia,[/QUOTE]

Lackey averaged 13-14 wins in a much weaker division, hardly an ace.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

If Tito goes,who you gonna hire? Oh! I know! Wacky Bobby Valentine who coudn't even make in Japan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Blame a coach for a bunch of underperformers...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]Josh Beckett is to blame?????  How about John Lackey? Beckett?  That's insane.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Beckett is stealing your money, 6 innings is all he can give in a must-win game. Give yourself a little education and watch Halladay or Lee pitch, they are looking to go 9 innings every time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]Josh Beckett is to blame?????  How about John Lackey? Beckett?  That's insane.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    No one is more to blame than Beckett for the September collapse. Say what you want, but   he is the stopper & the first half of the year he was great. It is his job to stop the slide & he didn't do it  just looked fat & out of shape on the mound

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]If Tito goes,who you gonna hire? Oh! I know! Wacky Bobby Valentine who coudn't even make in Japan.
    Posted by soxdawg08[/QUOTE]
    See, that's the thing: Don't get rid of somebody unless you know you can do better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire the piece of garbage Francona! : No one is more to blame than Beckett for the September collapse. Say what you want, but   he is the stopper & the first half of the year he was great. It is his job to stop the slide & he didn't do it  just looked fat & out of shape on the mound
    Posted by tc25[/QUOTE]

SO out of shape is on Francona? This is a consistent with Beckett, he folds in the second half when it matters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fire the piece of garbage Francona! : See, that's the thing: Don't get rid of somebody unless you know you can do better.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    where is spaceman I want his take on this

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

If you watch Boston you see bad baseball, usually even when they win. They don't know when to take the extra base and they don't know when not to. They can't hold runners on and many times there isn't even a throw by the catcher. They screw up just about every bunting play they try and the players used to openly admit that the coaching staff doesn't have them work on bunting. They routinely screw up throws from the outfield and don't hustle to back up plays that little leaguers are taught to. They walk way too many leadoff batters. It goes on and on all year long.

The thing is, when our guys screw up like this a manager should put an end to it. Tito didn't and hasn't for several years now. He cannot discipline players. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to hear it. The closest I've heard Tito mention that a player screwed up was last night when Tito said that Scutaro should have kept running after getting as far as he did no matter what. He said it very softly which is fine. At least he said it. He usually just makes an excuse for the player and let's the bad baseball continue.

Sections
Shortcuts