Fireman/Softy time to own this

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Re: Fireman/Softy time to own this

In response to georom4's comment:

i thought we had a good shot until i saw their starting pitching...and the old saying is that pitching wins titles...well it didnt (unless you count our relief pitching) 

ive never seen a team lose a series like Tigers where their starters were so dominant and got beat like they did...weird but not shocking given this team of sox players

I didn't follow the tigers much this year, but I wonder if this has been the story of their season.  Their starting pitching has been great all year, but except when facing Cleveland the Tigers were just a little above average.  They finished the year 1 game ahead of the Indians with a 15-4 record on the year against them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Forget softy. 

What I think is this ALCS was closer and tougher than we want to admit.  Two 1-0 games split.  Two semi-miraculous grandslams by cold hitters basically won games 2 and 6.  I think Detroit's rotation was even better than advertised.  They set a playoff record with 32 K's in two games, 1 and 2.  They threw a 1 hitter in game 1.  Verlander gave up 1 run in game 3 and lost.  Only Sanchez stumbled in game 5.  Last night Scherzer was very good, but couldn't get through the 7th when Vic got the grandslam.  I think we were slightly helped by Cabrera's injury. 

The Sox earned this win for a lot of reasons, but it was absolutely no cakewalk. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You said the Sox wouldn't win this series they did. He keep taking about the fatal flaw but never said what it was. You said Drew shouldn't play. You claimed the Sox success was solely because of the lack of success by the Yankees. I think(I know you won't) you should ssy you were wrong.

you'd have a better chance of Fonzie saying it first :-)...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

i thought we had a good shot until i saw their starting pitching...and the old saying is that pitching wins titles...well it didnt (unless you count our relief pitching) 

ive never seen a team lose a series like Tigers where their starters were so dominant and got beat like they did...weird but not shocking given this team of sox players

Where you failed here Geo is that you just bought all the hype there was to buy, and didn't pay attention to what was actually happening.  Yeah, the Tigers starters are the best rotation in baseball.  But funny thing:  the Red Sox won the most games in the AL this year because, believe it or not, their starting pitching is pretty darn good too.  Yeah, Buchholz got bailed out by the Sox Grand Slam Magic and the decidedly weak Detroit pen.  But Jon Lester gave 2 hoss starts, Lackey outdueled the Unbeatable Best Pitcher Ever Might Has Well Be Koufax Justin Verlander.

Pitching does win titles.  The Sox pitching was great this series.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Where you failed here Geo is that you just bought all the hype there was to buy, and didn't pay attention to what was actually happening.  Yeah, the Tigers starters are the best rotation in baseball.  But funny thing:  the Red Sox won the most games in the AL this year because, believe it or not, their starting pitching is pretty darn good too.  Yeah, Buchholz got bailed out by the Sox Grand Slam Magic and the decidedly weak Detroit pen.  But Jon Lester gave 2 hoss starts, Lackey outdueled the Unbeatable Best Pitcher Ever Might Has Well Be Koufax Justin Verlander.

And too add, the Sox were a more complete team.

Better defense.

Better baserunning.

Better bench.

Better bullpen, which is part of pitching.

The Sox had strong advantages in all these categories.

No team had any significant advantage with the lineups. 

So Tigers' had an advantage in starting pitching, but not a significant one. Certainly Boston's was underrated. Buchholz didn't go deep in Game 6, but he still was lights out for five innings. Lester, Lackey and Buchholz all did enough to give Boston the chance for its other advantages to make a difference.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Sox had the better manager.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedBirds2013's comment:

Baseball is about offense and defense and management of the two. It's not about "pitching", which is a false old baseball adage. 

Right, and "hard nosed gamers" is meaningless. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

You have got to be kidding me.  Another softy thread.  The sox are going to the world series and some posters are still fixated on softy.  He really has a hold on some of you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Better defense.

Better baserunning.

Better bench.

So Tigers' had an advantage in starting pitching, but not a significant one. Certainly Boston's was underrated. Buchholz didn't go deep in Game 6, but he still was lights out for five innings. Lester, Lackey and Buchholz all did enough to give Boston the chance for its other advantages to make a difference.

That's how I see it too.  The sox won a lot of series, not a lot of sweeps because, in my opinion, they are a well balanced team.  They don't rely on one aspect like pitching or hitting to win games.

Compare the base running of the sox to the tigers. That fielder thing was a mess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Better defense.

Better baserunning.

Better bench.

That's how I see it too.  The sox won a lot of series, not a lot of sweeps because, in my opinion, they are a well balanced team.  They don't rely on one aspect like pitching or hitting to win games.

Compare the base running of the sox to the tigers. That fielder thing was a mess.

i was waiting for Greenpeace to show up :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

You have got to be kidding me.  Another softy thread.  The sox are going to the world series and some posters are still fixated on softy.  He really has a hold on some of you.

And you comment on everyone one of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

EASY, EASY there 37 ..... We are all in this together !!!   Go SOX......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

yeah dude.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

He's still got an aweful hold on you!

You love to praise him when he's singing from your hymnal.....  (i.e. slapping around your favorite whipping boys)  Now, you abandon him in his hour of need?  If he comes back & puts his stiffy back on with respect to your favorite theme song, you'll start stroking him as you always do.......  AD nauseum!!!!

et tu brutina?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

yeah dude.

Let Stiffy come back & start earning his namesake spewing his perseverant thoughts about 67 & his favorite subject, & 67 will not be able to contain her praise for his prescient thoughtfulness.  His "time-honored & timeless morality."   His "willingness to stand up for god's word."

Bahahahahahahahahaha    Bahhh   bahhhhh  bahahahahahahahahahah

Perhaps stiffy had one thing right this year?  He called many on here sheep.. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He was even wrong on top of being wrong.

He once claimed that the only chance the Sox had of making the playoffs depended on Middlebrooks having a great season from the 5 slot.

Then, when confronted with his own words, he starts a thread that claims our advancement in the playoffs was the direct result of Middy's hit. 

Folks, the clown actually thinks he was right: Middy led us to the WS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He was even wrong on top of being wrong.

He once claimed that the only chance the Sox had of making the playoffs depended on Middlebrooks having a great season from the 5 slot.

Then, when confronted with his own words, he starts a thread that claims our advancement in the playoffs was the direct result of Middy's hit. 

Folks, the clown actually thinks he was right: Middy led us to the WS.

Although it should be noted that Middlebrooks' hit was key and that's what has been great about this team's postseason run. Everyone contributed.

Napoli started horrible but had the big HR and finished strong.

Ortiz had just two hits but one of them was one of the biggest in the postseason.

Drew has been horrible at the plate but his defense has been suberb and key.

Victorino was as bad as Drew at the plate then had the grand slam.

Middlebrooks ended up being benched but before that, his double was hugely important. He had made another out, Victorinio's K would have ended the inning before Pedey's single and Papi's grand slam.

The list goes on and on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Farrell must be a good manager because he didn't bench Victorino when he probably had every reason to, he stuck with Gomes in a big game and Gomes doubles off the wall, he went to Xander, and there was Nava and Middlebrooks who each had tremendous Septembers going into the playoffs...He stuck with Drew, and Stephen made the big diving stop to end a Detroit threat...Farrell Manager of the Century. He took out Clay when he should, he removed Lackey, and Lester all at the right times.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

He's probably just sitting back enjoying the fact that even without posting for days, 3 of the top 7 threads on the front burner are about him.

If his posts bother you just ignore him and definitely don't start threads in his honor.

If you're like me and enjoy the comedy that is softy than just sit back, enjoy the ride and hope he comes back soon with more.

I say cut to the chase and call him the nastiest things you can get away with, circumventing the censors.  Go for it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

He's still got an aweful hold on you!

You love to praise him when he's singing from your hymnal.....  (i.e. slapping around your favorite whipping boys)  Now, you abandon him in his hour of need?  If he comes back & puts his stiffy back on with respect to your favorite theme song, you'll start stroking him as you always do.......  AD nauseum!!!!

et tu brutina?

There is no God

There is really no way if anyone to ever know. Why waste time worrying about it?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts