First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias

"They know what they're doing, what's best for my development and my career,"   -- Jose Iglesias

This young man does not deserve prevaricating Cherry! Iglesias is never going to be more than a career average weak overall plate profile, but that isn't what SS is about. There is nothing for Iglesias to learn from a few more months of minor league baseball. This decision was made to use the CBA and capture lower cost labor cost from Iglesias. The Red Sox will need the best defensive SS they can get, behind the pitching staff they have. Iglesias is already one of the better defensive SS in MLB.

Games in April are just as important as games in September. The 25 man active roster decisions should never be made by bean counters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias

In Response to Re: First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]In Response to First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias : $$$$$$$$$$
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

what happened to your two days of protest and no posting?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]"They know what they're doing, what's best for my development and my career,"   -- Jose Iglesias This young man does not deserve prevaricating Cherry! Iglesias is never going to be more than a career average weak overall plate profile, but that isn't what SS is about. There is nothing for Iglesias to learn from a few more months of minor league baseball. This decision was made to use the CBA and capture lower cost labor cost from Iglesias. The Red Sox will need the best defensive SS they can get, behind the pitching staff they have. Iglesias is already one of the better defensive SS in MLB. Games in April are just as important as games in September. The 25 man active roster decisions should never be made by bean counters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

softball,

I guess this is the new dead horse you will beat this season since you've already started 2 threads on it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]"They know what they're doing, what's best for my development and my career,"   -- Jose Iglesias This young man does not deserve prevaricating Cherry! Iglesias is never going to be more than a career average weak overall plate profile, but that isn't what SS is about. There is nothing for Iglesias to learn from a few more months of minor league baseball. This decision was made to use the CBA and capture lower cost labor cost from Iglesias. The Red Sox will need the best defensive SS they can get, behind the pitching staff they have. Iglesias is already one of the better defensive SS in MLB. Games in April are just as important as games in September. The 25 man active roster decisions should never be made by bean counters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been said many ways and many times - I agree with u.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtap66. Show jtap66's posts

More likely because at this point he can't hit a lick, and bringing him up too soon to bat sub-.200 would destroy his development.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

point from softlaw is that Iggy may NEVER be a good hitter, pay attention dude

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

But Burrito, there are degrees, right?  There are people posting things along the lines of "if he can hit .230, get some walks, etc."....the concern is that he cannot do that right now nor even come close.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

the poster above me used "destroy his development".  I am sure the rest of us have a bit more grasp on the matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]"They know what they're doing, what's best for my development and my career,"   -- Jose Iglesias This young man does not deserve prevaricating Cherry! Iglesias is never going to be more than a career average weak overall plate profile,

Why is it that no other human has ever written "career average weak overall plate profile"?  My guess is that all the others realize it is wiser just to write "poor hitter". 

This decision was made to use the CBA and capture lower cost labor cost from Iglesias.The 25 man active roster decisions should never be made by bean counters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hanky, do you understand how IFA works yet?  Tell us when does Iglesias become a FA if he comes up for good in April? I could explain it to you again if you still don't understand, I'm used to dealing with incompetent lawyers. 

I could recommend a few ten year olds to teach you how to stop double posting your OPs.

If budgets were limitless you might have a point, because they aren't you have put forward a weak argument. One more year of control is worth way more than the difference between Aviles and Iglesias until July.

Speier:

THE FUTURE: KEEPING IGLESIAS FOR HIS BEST YEARS 

The Red Sox are extremely mindful of the value of having players in the middle of their prime years. A player peaks offensively in his late 20s, slightly earlier defensively. In terms of overall value, the Sox still consider a player's prime years to be the ages of 27-31. 

The best way to build a team capable of perennial contention is to have a player development system from which players graduate on a steady basis in order to spend their prime years in Boston.

If the Sox would have opened the year with Iglesias in the majors and he never looked back, then he would be eligible for free agency after the 2017 season, at a time when he will have just concluded his age 27 season. With them allowing him at least a couple months in the minors, then not only will it help to fill out his experiential database a bit, but it will also delay his free agency for another year -- and not just any year, but an age 28 season that will lie squarely in his prime.

So, even if the Sox concluded that Iglesias was an obviously better candidate for the starting shortstop job than Aviles right now, the team would have had to weigh the benefit of two months of Iglesias in the majors (the Sox could call up Iglesias in May or June and push back his service clock enough to delay his free agency until the 2018 season) at the start of his age 22 season for a full year of his services at age 28.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias : Hanky, do you understand how IFA works yet?  Tell us when does Iglesias become a FA if he comes up for good in April? I could explain it to you again if you still don't understand, I'm used to dealing with incompetent lawyers.  I could recommend a few ten-year olds to teach you how to stop double posting your OPs. If budgets were limitless you might have a point, because they aren't you have a weak argument. One more year of control is worth way more than the difference between Aviles and Iglesias until July. Speier: THE FUTURE: KEEPING IGLESIAS FOR HIS BEST YEARS   The   Red Sox   are extremely mindful of the value of having players in the middle of their prime years. A player peaks offensively in his late 20s, slightly earlier defensively. In terms of overall value, the Sox still consider a player's prime years to be the ages of 27-31.  The best way to build a team capable of perennial contention is to have a player development system from which players graduate on a steady basis in order to spend their prime years in Boston. If the Sox would have opened the year with Iglesias in the majors and he never looked back, then he would be eligible for free agency after the 2017 season, at a time when he will have just concluded his age 27 season. With them allowing him at least a couple months in the minors, then not only will it help to fill out his experiential database a bit, but it will also delay his free agency for another year -- and not just any year, but an age 28 season that will lie squarely in his prime. So, even if the Sox concluded that Iglesias was an obviously better candidate for the starting shortstop job than Aviles right now, the team would have had to weigh the benefit of two months of Iglesias in the majors (the Sox could call up Iglesias in May or June and push back his service clock enough to delay his free agency until the 2018 season) at the start of his age 22 season for a full year of his services at age 28.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]
    Tom, very good post, however Softlaw will either not get it or ignore it, either way his sad game will continue on forever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If budgets were limitless you might have a point, because they aren't you have put forward a weak argument. One more year of control is worth way more than the difference between Aviles and Iglesias until July.

Even a 1st grader could do better than that. Tell us more, like how Iglesias couldn't be traded until one year after he was signed. Look, childish man who is so obscessively fixated creepy as to post a teenager's high school picture, a team who spends a half a billion with no playoff wins in 3 years, trying to save what amounts to pocket change, is proof positive that you are trolling this thread with a feeble mind. It's like someone paying for a Rolls Royce and buying cheap tires to save a few hundred dollars.

By the way, how is that elite MLB SS doing in Houston!

Anyone want to bet what this poster's highschool photograph looked like? Wearing an Army surplus jacket, all glassy eyed from getting doped up and talking about a utopian collectivist State where it's Wards live the life of a 60's intoxicated pig farmer before investing in Apple to seek enough money to live the life of the Big Dirty and Greedy and Hateful and Against the Poor Live and Let Live, Big Oil Executive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox always extend there players, so it is not like they are trying to be cheap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

With them allowing him at least a couple months in the minors, then not only will it help to fill out his experiential database a bit, but it will also delay his free agency for another year -- and not just any year, but an age 28 season that will lie squarely in his prime.

Whoever wrote this an idiot who is unable to advance one prevaricating claim without contradicting himself with another claim. But, let's assume this idiot knows the CBA, which he doesn't, and let's assume that one more year, years down the road, at age 28, is the key retention mission that keeps the great Boston Red Sox from becoming a team that can't win a playoff game in 3 years after spending a half a billion dollars. No one in there right mine views this "one year, years down the road, saved at cheaper cost" as doing anything significant towards running a quality farm system or a value driven performance MLB team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One has to be truly incompetent to advance such a prevaricatingly hollow bugaboo, and then go out and pay nearly 30 million a year for Crawford and Ellsbury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness-envy. Show harness-envy's posts

Aviles has been tearing itt up in Sspfing training this year and earned the start, or you got something against earning your keep.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Since when has spring training exhibition minor league player loaded pitching type games had anything to do with baseball performance?

The very essence of "extending players" decision making litmus test is penny wise pound foolish cheap!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

" No one in there right mine views this "one year, years down the road, saved at cheaper cost" as doing anything significant towards running a quality farm system or a value driven performance MLB team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Now who's contradicting himself?  Are you honestly saying that a year at cheaper cost does not help the value driven performance of the major league team in said year?

I'm not happy that he's being sent down, but I understand it.  It helps that his skillset (all glove, no bat) doesn't pay well in arb, so the increased cost of super 2 status is minimal if he continues hitting in the low .200's

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to First Act of GM Idiocy! Bean Counting With Iglesias : Hanky, do you understand how IFA works yet?  Tell us when does Iglesias become a FA if he comes up for good in April? I could explain it to you again if you still don't understand, I'm used to dealing with incompetent lawyers.  I could recommend a few ten year olds to teach you how to stop double posting your OPs. If budgets were limitless you might have a point, because they aren't you have put forward a weak argument. One more year of control is worth way more than the difference between Aviles and Iglesias until July. Speier: THE FUTURE: KEEPING IGLESIAS FOR HIS BEST YEARS   The   Red Sox   are extremely mindful of the value of having players in the middle of their prime years. A player peaks offensively in his late 20s, slightly earlier defensively. In terms of overall value, the Sox still consider a player's prime years to be the ages of 27-31.  The best way to build a team capable of perennial contention is to have a player development system from which players graduate on a steady basis in order to spend their prime years in Boston. If the Sox would have opened the year with Iglesias in the majors and he never looked back, then he would be eligible for free agency after the 2017 season, at a time when he will have just concluded his age 27 season. With them allowing him at least a couple months in the minors, then not only will it help to fill out his experiential database a bit, but it will also delay his free agency for another year -- and not just any year, but an age 28 season that will lie squarely in his prime. So, even if the Sox concluded that Iglesias was an obviously better candidate for the starting shortstop job than Aviles right now, the team would have had to weigh the benefit of two months of Iglesias in the majors (the Sox could call up Iglesias in May or June and push back his service clock enough to delay his free agency until the 2018 season) at the start of his age 22 season for a full year of his services at age 28.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

so what you're saying you're worried about free agency at 27 v 28? This is worth delaying his mlb exprience 2 months (1/3 season) and starting a journeyman player as ss? How many games did we lose the playoff spot by last year? How about using your best ss out there, regardless of contract scenarios five years from now? Why did the go with Bobby V. if the new GM was going to be a replica of Theo's sabermatric, go slow baloney style of leadership? Just play the best players withy the most upside. There is nothing that I have seen out of Aviles this spring, or last year, that would justify him starting as shortstop.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Exactly right Chillster. He needs more time, and it has very little to do with managing his MLB playing time to lengthen the control we have over him. He's just completely out matched at the plate. I don't care if he becomes the greatest fielding SS to ever play, if he hits below .200 we simply can't use him at the major league level. Give him another year to strengthen his body. His bat speed and control require greater hand/wrist/arm/shoulder strength. In the meantime, we have decent defensive and above average offensive talent at SS now. Everyone just needs to be patient. Now, if Lavarnway gets sent down you'll hear me scream. The man needs to be named our starter IMO and we should send Kelly Shoppach packing. Lave backed up by Salty....that's the ticket!

[QUOTE]But Burrito, there are degrees, right?  There are people posting things along the lines of "if he can hit .230, get some walks, etc."....the concern is that he cannot do that right now nor even come close.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]point from softlaw is that Iggy may NEVER be a good hitter, pay attention dude
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

In that case, why would any shortstop play in the minors?

I mean, if you didn't care about his offensive development, why not jump to the pros when you're 18?

Escobar had 950 PAs in the minors, Andrus 1789, Janish ~ 2700, Iggy 671.  If all these good glove, low hit type SS's spent longer in the minors than Iggy, what separates Iggy from these guys?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Iglesias doesn't have to become a great hitter - he just needs to work on his pitch selection.  If he can learn to lay off the bad pitches, he'll get a ton of balls to hit.  2 months in AAA with the bat on his shoulder is better for the team long-term than bringing him up right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nggaplz61. Show Nggaplz61's posts

Why does everyone assume they sent Iggy down to save money? Doesn't anybody realise that arbitration and overall market value doesn't treat those who can't hit too kindly? If management decided to send Iglesias down it was because he really needs more time, not to save a negligible amount of money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Nice, we have people on here claiming it wasn't about the money, and we have others claiming it was smart to save the money about a half a decade down the road. Idiocy!

Bean counting pennies in a half a decade should have nothing to do with constructing a roster. And it's absolutely insanity to claim that a couple more months of AAA is "the key to Iglesias becoming the hitter he needs to become to play in the majors". LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

In that case, why would any shortstop play in the minors?

Wake up, Joe! Iglesias has already played in the minors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts