First Base Situation - What about Ortiz / Gomez / Kotchman

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: First Base Situation - What about Ortiz / Gomez / Kotchman

His contract was a thank you to Ortiz from JH and TW; I would say unlikely BenC wanted that size  contract. I hope he can play at least this season; if there is any question about his health they need to sign Nap or someone as a DH.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

I'll be surprised if Ortiz makes it through more than one year of that last contract, and it won't suprise me if he breaks down in 2013. I think he has permanent wheel damage and will be lucky to produce 75% of what he did in 2012 when he hit the DL for the last segment of the season.

I agree yet there are the ortiz lovers who think this guy will hit 40 homers and most of them in clutch situations.

And you can back up that claim, right?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I'll be surprised if Ortiz makes it through more than one year of that last contract, and it won't suprise me if he breaks down in 2013. I think he has permanent wheel damage and will be lucky to produce 75% of what he did in 2012 when he hit the DL for the last segment of the season.

I agree yet there are the ortiz lovers who think this guy will hit 40 homers and most of them in clutch situations.

You said the Ortiz was about to go bankrupt after the 2011 because he isn't going to get a contract and all his other business operatunties are going to fail. Your a bit bias.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You said the Ortiz was about to go bankrupt after the 2011 because he isn't going to get a contract and all his other business operatunties are going to fail. Your a bit bias.

Jackbu only shows up to bash Ortiz.  Maybe he is a Yankee fan who still isn't over 2004.  There are a lot of posters on here with "agendas" against certain players, managers, executives, etc. They never come clean with an explanation as to why, but a "Sox fan" having a vendetta against a guy like Ortiz, who has done so much for that organization, on and off the field, is a little strange to say the least. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Jackbu only shows up to bash Ortiz.  Maybe he is a Yankee fan who still isn't over 2004.  There are a lot of posters on here with "agendas" against certain players, managers, executives, etc. They never come clean with an explanation as to why, but a "Sox fan" having a vendetta against a guy like Ortiz, who has done so much for that organization, on and off the field, is a little strange to say the least. 

Not strange at all.  A lot of posters on this board only care about one stat.  Age.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Not strange at all.  A lot of posters on this board only care about one stat.  Age.

Jackbu's obsession seems to go well beyond "age" with Ortiz, but I agree that certain posters think players are completely useless after the age of 32...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

On the political board, anyone who disagrees with some bloggers is called a liberal.  Here when one disagrees, they are called a yankee fan.

I am not a yankee fan.  Went to my first sox game in 65. Grew up near fenway and travelled between the pawsox and fenway for years.  I used to be a huge ortiz fan but his time came and went several years ago.  The sox have not won with him in years and will not win this year either.

Ortiz will not have a good year.  Some how he will put up decent numbers, but once again as I keep saying, his homers will mostly come off triple a pitchers and when it does not matter.

So which is it? Have the courage of your convictions. If he puts up decent numbers that will be a good year. That's how it is measured in baseball, especially for a DH.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

On the political board, anyone who disagrees with some bloggers is called a liberal.  Here when one disagrees, they are called a yankee fan.

I am not a yankee fan.  Went to my first sox game in 65. Grew up near fenway and travelled between the pawsox and fenway for years.  I used to be a huge ortiz fan but his time came and went several years ago.  The sox have not won with him in years and will not win this year either.

Ortiz will not have a good year.  Some how he will put up decent numbers, but once again as I keep saying, his homers will mostly come off triple a pitchers and when it does not matter.

So which is it? Have the courage of your convictions. If he puts up decent numbers that will be a good year. That's how it is measured in baseball, especially for a DH.

It is more about decent numbers.  It is about the winning RBI's and ortiz has not had a lot of those in recent years.  Look at his playoff stats the last two times.  He whines and has already given intervies that his foot is still not right.

He is terrible on the bases and last year proved that he still takes a long time to recover from injuries.

Have to take off soon, it has been fun

How many players meet your standard? This kind of stat tends to change from season to season. Good teams have players that contribute in many ways. If Ortiz contributes to run production, this helps win games, whether the RBI's are "game winning" or part of the scoring that leads to a win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

It is more about decent numbers.  It is about the winning RBI's and ortiz has not had a lot of those in recent years.  Look at his playoff stats the last two times.  He whines and has already given intervies that his foot is still not right.

He is terrible on the bases and last year proved that he still takes a long time to recover from injuries.

How many players meet your standard? This kind of stat tends to change from season to season. Good teams have players that contribute in many ways. If Ortiz contributes to run production, this helps win games, whether the RBI's are "game winning" or part of the scoring that leads to a win.

He just remembered he has an important appointment. ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Admit it!

You're Tom Werner!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You keep missing the point.  For the last several years, many of Ortiz;s RBI's have not been clutch.  They come when the pressure is off with the game out of hand.  When the game is 4 to 2  with the sox down and men on, David has not been as productive as 07 and before.

While true, he has been pitched around in the clutch like never before.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

You keep missing the point.  For the last several years, many of Ortiz;s RBI's have not been clutch.  They come when the pressure is off with the game out of hand.  When the game is 4 to 2  with the sox down and men on, David has not been as productive as 07 and before.

Last year Ortiz had decent clutch stats. Just checked baseballreference.com. The entire team had lousy clutch stats hitting because they lost 93 games. Hard to accumulate game winning hits in a losing season.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Last year Ortiz had decent clutch stats. Just checked baseballreference.com. The entire team had lousy clutch stats hitting because they lost 93 games. Hard to accumulate game winning hits in a losing season.

last year he only played half the season, or are you forgetting that.  Check to see how many game winning RBI's he had and get back to me.  But I like your last statement about the losing season.  He WAS part of the problem and not the solution, so another reason he should have been shown the door.

Just think!

You've got 2 more years to complain about him!

That'll make things easier for you.

25. This post has been removed.