Re: First Base Situation - What about Ortiz / Gomez / Kotchman

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

On the political board, anyone who disagrees with some bloggers is called a liberal.  Here when one disagrees, they are called a yankee fan.

I am not a yankee fan.  Went to my first sox game in 65. Grew up near fenway and travelled between the pawsox and fenway for years.  I used to be a huge ortiz fan but his time came and went several years ago.  The sox have not won with him in years and will not win this year either.

Ortiz will not have a good year.  Some how he will put up decent numbers, but once again as I keep saying, his homers will mostly come off triple a pitchers and when it does not matter.

So which is it? Have the courage of your convictions. If he puts up decent numbers that will be a good year. That's how it is measured in baseball, especially for a DH.

It is more about decent numbers.  It is about the winning RBI's and ortiz has not had a lot of those in recent years.  Look at his playoff stats the last two times.  He whines and has already given intervies that his foot is still not right.

He is terrible on the bases and last year proved that he still takes a long time to recover from injuries.

Have to take off soon, it has been fun

How many players meet your standard? This kind of stat tends to change from season to season. Good teams have players that contribute in many ways. If Ortiz contributes to run production, this helps win games, whether the RBI's are "game winning" or part of the scoring that leads to a win.

You keep missing the point.  For the last several years, many of Ortiz;s RBI's have not been clutch.  They come when the pressure is off with the game out of hand.  When the game is 4 to 2  with the sox down and men on, David has not been as productive as 07 and before.

Last year Ortiz had decent clutch stats. Just checked baseballreference.com. The entire team had lousy clutch stats hitting because they lost 93 games. Hard to accumulate game winning hits in a losing season.

last year he only played half the season, or are you forgetting that.  Check to see how many game winning RBI's he had and get back to me.  But I like your last statement about the losing season.  He WAS part of the problem and not the solution, so another reason he should have been shown the door.

He was the one consistant producer until the AT injury, which was the only problem...But they werent going anywhere anyway.

Im not sure how Papi will do this year. If hes healthy I see 30hr 100RBI, just like he was headed for last year. Problem is, I also believe that heel will be an issue at some point this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

If Papi was part of the problem, that doesn't say too much about the rest of the team. Who exactly was part of the solution? They certainly didn't lose games because of Papi.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Papi was part of the problem, that doesn't say too much about the rest of the team. Who exactly was part of the solution? They certainly didn't lose games because of Papi.

You can analyze the rest of the team.  You never did get back to me on Ortiz's winning RBI's from last season.  Yes, the sox did lose a few games last season due to Ortiz's poor base running skills.   One could easily argue that his muliple 0 for 20 slumps, cost the team some games.  I see you have a pink hat for an avatar.  Ortiz's signing was to please the pink hats and boost ratings.

Actually, Ortiz never had an 0 for 20 stretch last season,  let alone "multiple"...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to notin's comment:

You can analyze the rest of the team.  You never did get back to me on Ortiz's winning RBI's from last season.  Yes, the sox did lose a few games last season due to Ortiz's poor base running skills.   One could easily argue that his muliple 0 for 20 slumps, cost the team some games.  I see you have a pink hat for an avatar.  Ortiz's signing was to please the pink hats and boost ratings.

Actually, Ortiz never had an 0 for 20 stretch last season,  let alone "multiple"...

You're crazy and he had a few 0 for 20's before his injury. I was on twitter talking to some of the beat writers, asking them when they were going to use the "slump" work.  The radio guys did use the "slump" word when ortiz went 0 for 23.

Last season Ortiz's numbers were the second highest they've been of his career. There were no 0 for 20 slumps.  Look it up if you don't believe it. You must be confused with 2009-2010.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You're crazy and he had a few 0 for 20's before his injury. I was on twitter talking to some of the beat writers, asking them when they were going to use the "slump" work.  The radio guys did use the "slump" word when ortiz went 0 for 23.

You can of course document this. I find it pretty surprising that a guy with an OPS > 1.000 had multiple 0 for 20's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No.  His longesy drought was an 0 for 15 stretch from May 21 thru May 26.  Thr man did get on base over 41% of the time last year and had at least 1 hit in every game he played after July 1

Please check his gamelog, whicis a better source than Twitter...

I

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

My pink hat avatar is used to confuse fans who have trouble with facts.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Post the dates he was 0-22? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

ok, my bad.  0 for 15 and 2 for 23, that really makes a difference.  For a guy who likes stats, you still have not told me how many game winning rbi's ortiz got last season. I'll even settle for clutch hits at this point.

You realize 0 for 15 is like three games without a hit. That is hardly a slump.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

ok, my bad.  0 for 15 and 2 for 23, that really makes a difference.  For a guy who likes stats, you still have not told me how many game winning rbi's ortiz got last season. I'll even settle for clutch hits at this point.

Go look yourself. Baseball-Reference.com clutch stats. Where do you get your numbers from?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Go look yourself. Baseball-Reference.com clutch stats. Where do you get your numbers from?

doesn't take you long to respond.  Your living next to your computer has an advantage over me.  Just post the number.

-----------------------------

It was 23 game-winning RBIs last year....got it off Instagram.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

doesn't take you long to respond.  Your living next to your computer has an advantage over me.  Just post the number.

-----------------------------

It was 23 game-winning RBIs last year....got it off Instagram.

i get my stats off of myspace. unfortunately, the only numbers they provide are BA, RBI, HR and ERA, W/L

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ok, mef and I have Instagram and MySpace covered.  Notin, you check Facebook, Joe, you have Bebo and Moon has LinkedIn.  We can all share notes later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Ok, mef and I have Instagram and MySpace covered.  Notin, you check Facebook, Joe, you have Bebo and Moon has LinkedIn.  We can all share notes later.

Stiffy can check Chatroulette :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Stiffy can check Chatroulette :)

Why not Gaydar?  He can combine business with pleasure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Since we all know how much jackbu loves Big Papi, I thought he might enjoy this article.