First honest report out of spring training

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: First honest report out of spring training

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Mea culpa.  I didn't realize the quote from that Extra Bases bit was a quote.  I thought it was forum conjecture.  OK, assuming the staff really has addressed this, shame on Felix.  

no problem space. usually if you see one of my posts with a link in it the paragraph before or after it was copied from said article. i could have been more clear on the matter.

Like i said, his conditioning shouldn't affect his pitching but it does flash some red lights on his work ethic.. especially considering his history

Agreed.  All the more troubling given the team's need for him to be hitting on all cylendars, and also given the crossroads of his own career.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Mea culpa.  I didn't realize the quote from that Extra Bases bit was a quote.  I thought it was forum conjecture.  OK, assuming the staff really has addressed this, shame on Felix.  

no problem space. usually if you see one of my posts with a link in it the paragraph before or after it was copied from said article. i could have been more clear on the matter.

Like i said, his conditioning shouldn't affect his pitching but it does flash some red lights on his work ethic.. especially considering his history

Agreed.  All the more troubling given the team's need for him to be hitting on all cylendars, and also given the crossroads of his own career.  

I feel morales could be just as good and possibly even better than Doobie so i would not object if Farrell decided to demote him to the Pen and give Morales or aceves a crack at the rotation

speaking of that, I would give Ace a legitimate shot at the rotation. after he had the rug pulled out from under him last season (best pitcher in ST and the last spot in the rotation was handed to the worst pitcher in ST) he deserves a long look. He is going to be a starter in the WBC for Mexico so it might be worth keeping an eye on him and see how he does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

100% agree with you Geo.

How can Debront not sieze the opportunity to set him and his family up for life, by get himself in shape to pitch well.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Really?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I thought he looked a little round in the waist...What a shame that he cant take being in MLB seriously. I doubt they sign lohse though. Morales and Aceves are being stretched out and maybe RDLR will be available soon...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I thought he looked a little round in the waist...What a shame that he cant take being in MLB seriously. I doubt they sign lohse though. Morales and Aceves are being stretched out and maybe RDLR will be available soon...

i don't see them giving up a pick now when they have starter depth they can turn to.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i'm eager to see RDLR in action, can't wait for some games to start up and check out how he looks. He could pitch his way into the mix if Farrell disciplines Doobie.

obviously Ace and Morales are the first options to supplant him.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

x

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

x

yeah hill?

tell us how you really feel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When I showed skeptisim towards Doubron'ts outlook this year based on what happened in 2011, and how it might expose a weakness of character, I was labelled a "pessimist" and "naysayer".

I may be wrong, but I think the author of this thread said he was going to Florida to watch all the games, so maye this report was his first hand report.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Sorry folks.  I did not mean to post and run.  I created the OP at work and came home to find a sweaty basement and hot water heater problems.  Not the way I want to spend a Friday night.

I don't understand why I am a troll for expressing concern over something that the staff is concerned about.

To selenium, the "first honest report" line is a bit tongue in cheek, but come on.  Everyone who follows baseball knows that every player shows up in the "Best shape of his career," and such.  Rarely is a guy called out for showing up out of shape.  My guess is that if Doubront had not done so in a previous year, he might not have gotten called out this time.  But after Beer and Chicken Gate and the huge disappointments of 2011 and 2012, and with the attempt to make over the team with high quality guys who have good chemistry and work ethics, Doubront's showing up to camp in poor shape made his lack of good judgement stick out all the more.

As for the injury part of it.  In 2011 Doubront spent time out for injury and his lack of conditioning was blamed post-fact.  In 2013 he is already an injury risk, as reported in the off-season by Finn and Cafardo, I believe (and on Bleacher Report possibly as well).  Any pitcher who increases his innings from one year to the next as much as Doubront did is considered an injury risk by baseball evaluators.

Lastly, as for attending the Spring Training games...I can only wish.  My info on this came from the Globe writers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lastly, as for attending the Spring Training games...I can only wish.  My info on this came from the Globe writers.

I must have confused you with someone else. Sorry.

(Cue: Pike's attack)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

When I showed skeptisim towards Doubron'ts outlook this year based on what happened in 2011, and how it might expose a weakness of character, I was labelled a "pessimist" and "naysayer".

I may be wrong, but I think the author of this thread said he was going to Florida to watch all the games, so maye this report was his first hand report.

this is what i dont understand about this board...you have a guy with a past who has done something similair that shows his lack of conditoning and preperation, and someone writes a post about it and is attacked for making stuff up....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

this is what i dont understand about this board...you have a guy with a past who has done something similair that shows his lack of conditoning and preperation, and someone writes a post about it and is attacked for making stuff up....

I was just asking for a picture or 3rd party verification.  I've seen no pictures, and the one article that was posted, did not mention Doubront.  When I'm on jury duty, and the DA says the defendent did it, fine, but show me some evidence.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

i don't see them giving up a pick now when they have starter depth they can turn to.

I haven't seen the pictures, but people are going way overboard.  No doubt that professional athletes should be in good shape.  But for a pitcher, you can still be in good pitching shape and be 10-15 pounds overweight.  I manage to be 15-20 pounds overweight all the time.  Sometimes I am working out seriously and just overeating.  Sometimes I can drop 15 pounds through dieting, but have no conditioning at all.