First honest report out of spring training

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: First honest report out of spring training

I like our depth, too, carnie.  Just worried about not getting enough innings out of our top 4.

And thanks for the citation.  Everything's debatable.  But my money is on Doubront getting injured in 2013 (if he is not already).  His not even showing up in shape is just the last nail in the coffin for me.  I would want to send a message to everyone else almost as much as I would want that draft pick (though, as you point out, with the new rules this year their 2nd round pick is more like a sandwich pick for the Sox)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

So true.  This is why I personally believe that sometimes too much emphasis is placed on 'numbers', and not enough value placed on intangibles.

As far as other posts concerning weight, CC Sabathia, David Wells, Mickey Lolich, El Guapo, Fernando Valenzuela etal  seemed to do pretty well?  If I'm not mistaken, isn't Wells the last Yankee to pitch a perfect game?  He was outspoken, but what I read is that his teammates loved him and enjoyed playing behind him.   Ya know, something like the bias that Schilling endures from his playing days to the present from narrow-minded fans/writers who don't agree with his political philosophy.

I hope this year's Red Sox team can create a positive and winning environment. 

Remember the 2004 team?  They had fun, played their a**es off, and won. 

Something that Valentine and some of our fans never understood.  You want to have players that want to be at the ballpark.  You want to have players that want to hang out in the clubhouse after the game.  You don't want to have players being questioned about what the manager said yesterday.  You want to encourage comraderie, not have players seeing how quickly they can get to their cars.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Doubront has been diagnosed with a "weak shoulder". Nothing more - nothing less.  I will wait for further updates before I jump off of the Tobin Bridge.

it's not an issue of whether he is injured or not. But whether he has the work ethic and determination to play his best. Which is in serious question since he showed up to camp out of shape 2 of the last 3 seasons.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i'm eager to see RDLR in action, can't wait for some games to start up and check out how he looks. He could pitch his way into the mix if Farrell disciplines Doobie.

obviously Ace and Morales are the first options to supplant him.

I read somewhere that they are going to take their time and stretch him out this year and only use him if absolutely necessary. Try and get him about 120IP this year and work his way back up. Before his TJS he compiled about 110IP that year.

Hes still young and has a ton of upside so they dont want to take any chances with him.

They have enough depth to fill in if needed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I thought he looked a little round in the waist...What a shame that he cant take being in MLB seriously. I doubt they sign lohse though. Morales and Aceves are being stretched out and maybe RDLR will be available soon...

i don't see them giving up a pick now when they have starter depth they can turn to.

I haven't seen the pictures, but people are going way overboard.  No doubt that professional athletes should be in good shape.  But for a pitcher, you can still be in good pitching shape and be 10-15 pounds overweight.  I manage to be 15-20 pounds overweight all the time.  Sometimes I am working out seriously and just overeating.  Sometimes I can drop 15 pounds through dieting, but have no conditioning at all.

I saw a video of him throwing and it was pretty noticable. Thats how injuries happen and can cause a lack of stamina.

Im not positive on this, just giving my opinion of what I saw.

His weak shoulder is from throwing almost twice the amount of innings that he threw the year before. That i understand and am concerned about with good reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I hope De LaRosa can end up being in the rotation.  I think he has all the tools and desire, whereas Doubront may have all the tools, but apparently lacks the desire (and discipline that accompanies such desire).  But De LaRosa will also not pitch a full slate of starts in 2013. 

The Sox currently have just two pitchers on the team (Lester and Dempster) who have been able to pitch full seasons in recent years.  They really need a 3rd.  Who do you suggest that to be?  Having passed on other options, I think the Sox should be considering Lohse (even if by all accounts they are denying any such interest).

Doubrant isn't a skinny guy. Neither is Lester. Are you worried about Lester not being in shape? Lackey will pitch 200 innings this year. He has shown he can pitch in tons of pain and he wants to prove something.

I wouldnt guarentee Lackey giving us 200IP this year. He didnt pitch all of last year. Now, Im not saying he cant or wont...I just wouldnt say he def will so easily like that.

Personally, I think hes a real gamer and will give this team everything hes got. I also believe he does have a good chance at 200IP, but I cant say that for sure.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I like our depth, too, carnie.  Just worried about not getting enough innings out of our top 4.

And thanks for the citation.  Everything's debatable.  But my money is on Doubront getting injured in 2013 (if he is not already).  His not even showing up in shape is just the last nail in the coffin for me.  I would want to send a message to everyone else almost as much as I would want that draft pick (though, as you point out, with the new rules this year their 2nd round pick is more like a sandwich pick for the Sox)

I share your concerns about the top 5....I expect Lackey to be healthy, but who knows after TJ?  Buch's back is a worry, etc.

But in terms of getting another pitcher, I'm not so sure.  Here's why:

• Ace or 1/2 starter:  virtually never available
    • Solid 2/3/4 starter:  very expensive, if available
    • Decent 4/5/6 starter:  Is there really someone available better than de la Rosa, Tazawa, Aceves, etc?

I just think in practical terms there is little the Sox can do about it right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And I also think the Sox do not need to go crazy looking for a new starter, if they are ok with waiting until 2014.  With Wright, De LaRosa, Barnes and Webster waiting in the wings, they may be more than fine in a year or two, whether or not Lackey and Lester return to form and Buchholz can stay healthy.  But for 2013, if they signed Lohse, they would be vastly improved in the rotation.  Lohse would then provide another year or two of solid #3 pitching while the youngsters developed around him.

In any case, I think Dounbront's days in the Sox rotation are numbered.  He may not even make it out of ST with a spot.  In the next year or two there will be others with better MiL credentials and potential looking to bypass him.  And it is not unreasonable to expect every one of them to show more self-discipline and commitment to coming into camp ready to prove they belong.

Sections
Shortcuts