First Place Will Be a Distant Memory

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: First Place Will Be a Distant Memory

In Response to First Place Will Be a Distant Memory:
    [QUOTE]The upcoming schedule does no favors to the Sox.  While they are playing the Rays (3), the Royals (4), the Rangers (4). and the A's (3), the Yankees will face the Royals (4), the Twins (3), the A's (3), and the Orioles (5).  The way the Sox have been playing, they'll be lucky to go 7-7, while the Yanks could easily achieve 12-3 and a 4 game lead going into September.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

Who do you expect the Red Sox to play? The Malibu Beach Bunny Sand Volleyball team?  The NYC Old Farts Squash League?

Whine, whine, whine.

Show a little internal fortitude.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: First Place Will Be a Distant Memory:
    [QUOTE]Well, I woke up this morning and i got myself a beer The future's unknown, and the end is always near
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
    So I had one more for dessert.
    Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes,
    And found my cleanest dirty shirt.
    An' I shaved my face and combed my hair,
    An' stumbled down the stairs to meet the day.
    Put ESPN on and heard Boston lost 5-3 to Seattle

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Place Will Be a Distant Memory : Good points.  Verlander scares me in a short series, and the Rangers would be a tough series for anybody.  Bottom line is the Sox are going to have to perform to get to the World Series.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

wouldn't this be even more of a reason to finish in first and get home field?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Place Will Be a Distant Memory : wouldn't this be even more of a reason to finish in first and get home field?????
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Sure, but my point was that no matter where the Sox land in the playoffs, it isn't going to be a cakewalk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Place Will Be a Distant Memory : Good teams win the division.
    Posted by CHUBBIE99[/QUOTE]

Good teams also make the playoffs!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Non-division winners also win the WS more often than not

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Winning a division just is not an insurance of anything. Making the playoffs insures you can have the opportunity to beat a team head-to-head. Playing on the road or at home, the best team will win out. The loser will lose based on not getting the job done, not executing. No wildcard has ever looked at his opponent and thought "Oh my god, they won their division, so we're done for." Yawn.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I just talked to my Yankee-foil-here-at-work, Roy from the mailroom.  He is the biggest Yankee fan I know personally, in fact, that I suspect exists in the world today. Eats and breathes Yankees and is at most games.   I gave him my usual temperature-in-the-Empire prod - ""Roy, whats good?  1/2 game back, whats the deal?"  Roy: " Eh, you know, its hard to get too emotional about things.  We're both going in, so, hard to feel real excited about the division or whatever".  Point taken Roy.  It just doesn't matter very much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ray called it right. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox want to win the East as a matter of pride I would hope.They're still in first and playing some pretty decent baseball.But even if they don't and get the wild card,so what.They'll still be playing in the postseaon and that's really all that counts.   Kind of sad when you have to try and find fault with the team who has the best record in the AL and 2nd best record in baseball.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Well, our pitching has been better on the road; more than 1/2 ER better. But the offense is hitting nearly 50 points lower on the road.
    So, maybe it does not make much difference, but I sure like the last AB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from )))TheBabe(((. Show )))TheBabe((('s posts

[QUOTE]Non-division winners also win the WS more often than not

Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Really? Only three wild card teams have won the WS.....hardly more often than not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to First Place Will Be a Distant Memory:
    [QUOTE]The upcoming schedule does no favors to the Sox.  While they are playing the Rays (3), the Royals (4), the Rangers (4). and the A's (3), the Yankees will face the Royals (4), the Twins (3), the A's (3), and the Orioles (5).  The way the Sox have been playing, they'll be lucky to go 7-7, while the Yanks could easily achieve 12-3 and a 4 game lead going into September.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how much sense that makes.  The two teams are pretty even, but the RS will be lucky to go 7-7 and the NYY could easily go 12-3?  Why can't we easily go 12-3 and them go 7-7?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The wild card is a fall back option. Of course it is better to win the division. Home field matters. This is not arguable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to First Place Will Be a Distant Memory : I'm not sure how much sense that makes.  The two teams are pretty even, but the RS will be lucky to go 7-7 and the NYY could easily go 12-3?  Why can't we easily go 12-3 and them go 7-7?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

The Sox have a losing record vs. Rays, Royals, and Rangers while the Yankees play .750 ball vs. the dregs of the American League.  I hope I am wrong.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Spaceman eephus:
    I just talked to my Yankee-foil-here-at-work, Roy from the mailroom.  He is the biggest Yankee fan I know personally, in fact, that I suspect exists in the world today. Eats and breathes Yankees and is at most games.   I gave him my usual temperature-in-the-Empire prod - ""Roy, whats good?  1/2 game back, whats the deal?"  Roy: " Eh, you know, its hard to get too emotional about things.  We're both going in, so, hard to feel real excited about the division or whatever".  Point taken Roy.  It just doesn't matter very much.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think Roy might speak for some fans, but I'd virtually guarantee there are no Yankee players (and hopefully no Sox players) who think that way. Too many veterans in the clubhouse who think winning is the only thing. Both Jeter and Girardi were in the paper today saying winning the division is the only goal--home field, advantage, etc. even if it means facing Verlander twice.
    No one ever accuses the Yankees of dogging it, and I'd expect them to keep driving.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Spaceman eephus: I just talked to my Yankee-foil-here-at-work, Roy from the mailroom.  He is the biggest Yankee fan I know personally, in fact, that I suspect exists in the world today. Eats and breathes Yankees and is at most games.   I gave him my usual temperature-in-the-Empire prod - ""Roy, whats good?  1/2 game back, whats the deal?"  Roy: " Eh, you know, its hard to get too emotional about things.  We're both going in, so, hard to feel real excited about the division or whatever".  Point taken Roy.  It just doesn't matter very much. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I think Roy might speak for some fans, but I'd virtually guarantee there are no Yankee players (and hopefully no Sox players) who think that way. Too many veterans in the clubhouse who think winning is the only thing. Both Jeter and Girardi were in the paper today saying winning the division is the only goal--home field, advantage, etc. even if it means facing Verlander twice. No one ever accuses the Yankees of dogging it, and I'd expect them to keep driving.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Yeah, MFY, I agree.  I expect the Sox keep driving too.  And I think Tito's reluctance to point to the division as the be all end all is just because, organizationally, these guys put a premium on health lining up for the post-season.  So, if it came down to getting someone much-needed rest or riding them into the ground for the paper title of AL East champ, the Sox would choose health.  But, of course, homefield means a lot.  As does momentum and consistency.  So, I expect both clubs to drive hard through the stretch as well.  That is common sense.  I think Roy expects that as well.  His point is just that all eyez should be on frying bigger fish than bragging rights.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

give me wildcard, or give me a playoff spot!!!!