First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses

What a bust out. At least he didn't make excuses last night.
    Worst ERA in all of baseball for any starter.

His record is 12-12, and his ERA of 6.30 is the highest in the majors among qualifying pitchers.

Lackey set the tone by allowing a three-run homer to the weak-hitting Jaso in the second inning on a 3-and-1 pitch that was just awful.

Lackey didn’t come out for the fourth, his calf having swelled up. Though he was limping, he didn’t seem to think he’d miss his next start.

“I obviously wasn’t pitching very well,’’ Lackey said. “First inning was good, threw all fastballs. Made one bad pitch on the home run and things went south. In the third inning, I started to mix in some other stuff and it didn’t work out.’’

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses

But really, the burden of picking up this team should fall on a veteran pitcher who accepted a huge contract. We know the pressure on Lackey must be enormous and his personal issues have surely made this a year he would love to forget.

So much more was expected of him and he expected more from himself.

But this is not the time for finding one’s self. It’s the time for action. It’s almost mid-September and the Sox have no idea whether Lackey can be depended on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lackey’s season is historically awful. For more than $16 million, he has compiled the worst ERA by a Sox starter with at least 140 innings. Ever.

In fact, his 6.30 mark is far and away the winner. Jack Lamabe’s 5.89, in 1964, rates second.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Lackey set the record for worst era among Red Sox pitchers ever.  That is certainly very discouraging. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

If Lackey fif not blame any one else in any fashion, that is a step forward.

Unfortunately, for those of us who had been trumpeting his turn around now sit and wait with a fair amount of angst wondering if his ship will once again find a rudder.

Personally, I was quite pleased that John had started to make us all eat crow.  I thought perhaps it was his seasoning getting ready for the playoffs.

Now ... your comments become to close to real.  Without run support and the pen acting like they are the Salvation Army at Christmas, John is in serious trouble.  Those three issues combined mean there is real trouble.

If, I am thinking, this is the Tito/Theo save the guys for the last segment of the season, a thought that doesn't really matter when considering the last 4(?) poor perfomances by John ... I hope they decide to goose it up a bit real soon. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He sounds depressed.... Eor depressed.

What happened to the people who said Lackey was doing so much better since July 4?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, SinceYaz just spoke up, but we haven't heard from harness about Lackey recently. There's not much to say in his defense. It goes beyond small sample sizes, but TB is a weak hitting team and TB is a pitcher's park...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Don't be surprised if he goes 16-6 next year with a 4.00 era.... however that does not help this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

In Response to Re: First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses:
    [QUOTE]He sounds depressed.... Eor depressed. What happened to the people who said Lackey was doing so much better since July 4?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I guess that those posters were right for awhile and were hopeful that he had turned it around. It seems that you are happy that Lackey has reverted back to his old self. Are you a Boston fan or do you have bets that you are hoping to collect on?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

In Response to Re: First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses:
    [QUOTE]Don't be surprised if he goes 16-6 next year with a 4.00 era.... however that does not help this season.

Lackey will never see a 16-6 record.    He's as good as he'll ever get.    He won't suddenly change what he does on a pitching mound.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Really, isn't about time to stop jumping down Lackey's throat and exorcise your demons with Theo who pushed him on the staff and on Tito, who I guess feels he has to start him every 5th day, rain shine, 6.30 ERA, 10 hits in 5 IP, etc, etc, etc...I really was pulling for him to help the team...Bottom line, he really hurts the team especially in a pennant race. Not saying Wake has been 15x better, but under the circumstances he's more reliable to throw a decent start than John.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He made a mistake in location to Jaso on a 3-2 count.

Obviously this guy, Jaso, with only 5 homeruns, doesn't often make pitchers pay for mistakes.

If not for that 3 run blast and the liner off his shin, Lackey may have hung in there long enough to get a quality start. But, with the team not hitting, he would have a hard time getting wins unless he throws a shutout.

If this makes me a "Lackey apologist" in the eyes of most of you, I don't care.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses : Lackey will never see a 16-6 record.    He's as good as he'll ever get.    He won't suddenly change what he does on a pitching mound.
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]

They were discussing Lackey on the MLB network and said they definitely believe he is having mechanical problems.  Isn't that what a pitching coach is for?   He is also having personal problems this year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Well, SinceYaz just spoke up, but we haven't heard from harness about Lackey recently. There's not much to say in his defense. It goes beyond small sample sizes, but TB is a weak hitting team and TB is a pitcher's park...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon - Unfortunately, he will be part of this team, unless the Red Sox can get someone to take him and eat half the contract. 

This could be one of the worst free agent signings ever, up there with Hamption, Kevin Brown, etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Don't be surprised if he goes 16-6 next year with a 4.00 era.... however that does not help this season.

In what uniform?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In Response to First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses:
    [QUOTE] “I obviously wasn’t pitching very well,’’ Lackey said.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    What else is new?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Burrito,
    Even if Lackey did go 16-6 next year he would never be there in big games.  He can't pitch on that level.  For the two years he has been less than useless.  His lack of grace and has him even more hard to take.  I wonder how it is so many do not view the signings of Crawford and Lackey as so detrimental to the team and its chemistry. It is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]He made a mistake in location to Jaso on a 3-2 count. Obviously this guy, Jaso, with only 5 homeruns, doesn't often make pitchers pay for mistakes. If not for that 3 run blast and the liner off his shin, Lackey may have hung in there long enough to get a quality start. But, with the team not hitting, he would have a hard time getting wins unless he throws a shutout. If this makes me a "Lackey apologist" in the eyes of most of you, I don't care.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Good pitchers with good stuff who make mistakes to hitters like John Jaso usually don't pay like Lackey did. Conclusion: He is not a good pitcher who throws softballs up there

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]He sounds depressed.... Eor depressed. What happened to the people who said Lackey was doing so much better since July 4?

Lackey up to July 4th: 5-8  7.50 ERA
    Lackey after July 4th:  7-4  5.13 ERA

Whatever happened to a fan base supportive of their players?
    Some low-lifes actually want to ride them out of town on a rail. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Time In His Red Sox Career John Lackey Didn't Make Excuses : They were discussing Lackey on the MLB network and said they definitely believe he is having mechanical problems.  Isn't that what a pitching coach is for?   He is also having personal problems this year. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know why pitching coach Curt Young gets a free ride amidst all the pitching issues...while the board was all over Farrell last year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Well, SinceYaz just spoke up, but we haven't heard from harnessabout Lackey recently. There's not much to say in his defense. It goes beyond small sample sizes, but TB is a weak hitting team and TB is a pitcher's park...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Ever try being heard over a crowd of vultures? What's the use.
    I think I made it pretty clear what we have. Whether he's completely healthy (beyond latest calf issue) is anybody's guess (steep WHIP regression since end of June. Red flag warning).
    I think it remarkable that he went down with elbow inflammation, took two cort. shots, and was able to make his allotted starts ever since.
    Especially in a year where pitchers are falling like dominos...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I give Lackey credit for showing up for virtually every start on a staff where almost everybody is a no show for parts of the each year with some ailment or other.  I don't especially care for the results, but the I don't question the work ethic like I do with Beckett, or the what the hey it has been with Dice-K since they signed him.  He gives what he has and while that is not good enough for most in Boston - oh well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Anyone else notice how parky Fenway Park has become recently?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I only notice a spoiled fan-base not thankful for having a contender to root for in Sept.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tookme55. Show tookme55's posts

Fan base allows Theo to spend $180M in payroll. So called spoiled fan base is intelligent enough to know bad signings.