Fixing the strike zone ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Fixing the strike zone ...

Aside from apparently changing on 3-0 and 0-2 counts, the strike zone changes slightly based upon the stature of the player.

"The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the bottom of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

When I see the zone as drawn by PitchFX, I really have little idea as to how this compares to the one the umpire has in his head.

Is the strike zone the width of the plate or the plate plus the width of a baseball on either side?

I've also read various definitions of what part of the baseball must be over the plate for a strike.

Any part of the ball or seams?

The entire ball and seams?

The strike zone has changed before and I'm not opposed to seeing it change again.

What if, in order to generate a more standardized strike zone, we could make changes that would equalize one another and in the end have a "one size fits all" strike zone?

Ballplayer average height across position seems to be in a relatively narrow range:

http://sportsologist.com/baseball-player-height-by-position/

Would it be so hard to develop a strike zone that didn't change, and it wouldn't matter if someone wanted to install Eddie Gaedel in the ballgame as a strike zone stunt.

A uniform strike zone would certainly change the game, but I think in more good ways than bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Re: Fixing the strike zone ...

It mainly changes when the umpires grew up as Yankee fans. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They need to computerize it with a lazer box and take the human element out of it.Tired of seeing a strike called in a certain location one day, then called a ball the next.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

They need to computerize it with a lazer box and take the human element out of it.Tired of seeing a strike called in a certain location one day, then called a ball the next.

sounds a lot like this guy

''Someone in here develop the way to call balls and strikes without that stupid idea of having human error," xxxxxxx   told the crowd at a seminar this month. "Who wants human error? I don't. So just get a plate with lasers.

"Seriously, figure it out. Have the lasers come up in front of the plate, have the lasers come from the side for the height of the batter. When it passes through, have the umpire know it passes through and have them go, 'Strike!' And when it doesn't, it's a ball."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120828&content_id=37468304&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

bobby V and al on the same page

nuff said

Sections
Shortcuts