Flashback: 10 things that still amaze me about the 2004 ALCS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Flashback: 10 things that still amaze me about the 2004 ALCS

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherished memory yes, great entertainment, not so sure, pike. The first three games were losses, game 3 a heartbreaker which seemed at the time, a back breaker, as well.  Game 4 was, at least we weren't swept. Game 5 was at least we made it respectable.  game 6 and 7, were so nerve racking, I felt sick. 2007 was more entertaining, if not as memorable and historic

[/QUOTE]

Yes, 2004 was incredibly nerve-wracking, one of the most stressful experiences of my life, honestly.  It was only when I watched the games again on DVD that I was able to enjoy them, knowing the outcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you thought the Yankees choked then you thought they had the better team

The Yankees had the better team. The Red Sox had the better middle of the lineup. The Yankees don't win the division with 100 plus wins and go up 3-0 unless they were the better team. It took the greatest choke job in MLB playoff history. The Red Sox pulled the greatest choke job in regular season history. The two teams are locked in history in a way that it's impossible not to think of one without the other.

[/QUOTE]

If they were the better team because of 100 wins and going up 3-0 does that not make the RS the better team due to winning the next 4 games? Also how did the NYY choke? They were out played there was nothing they did or did not due that shows any type of chocking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I've never looked at the 2004 ALCS as a big choke by the Yankees.  I don't think you can have both a great comeback and a big choke.  It's one or the other, and I think it was a great comeback.

If Mariano Rivera closes us out in Game 4 it's a sweep and that's the end of that.  And Rivera is not a choker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Javier Vasquez was the MVP for game 7 of the 2004 ALCS.   LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I know this isn't PC to mention ...

but I loved watching Manny and Big Papi slinging lumber one after another .... always felt a tough of excitement and always felt the game was winnable ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

During the 7th inning of game 7, the security guys at Yankee stadium allowed us to sit closer to the field (especially since many Yankee fans left the stadium).

7th inning chant: "WHO'S YOUR DEALER?!?" to Sheffield. 

8th inning chant: "YANKEES SUCK!!!"

9th inning chant: Fans were singing, "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS~~~"

But after the game, the walk back to the subway but ugly and I am glad to be unhurt.  LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Yankees had the better team. The Red Sox had the better middle of the lineup. The Yankees don't win the division with 100 plus wins and go up 3-0 unless they were the better team. It took the greatest choke job in MLB playoff history. The Red Sox pulled the greatest choke job in regular season history. The two teams are locked in history in a way that it's impossible not to think of one without the other.

[/QUOTE]

If they were the better team because of 100 wins and going up 3-0 does that not make the RS the better team due to winning the next 4 games? Also how did the NYY choke? They were out played there was nothing they did or did not due that shows any type of chocking.

[/QUOTE]

Jim, The Yankees had plenty of chances to close out that series. They failed each time. When the series was 3 games to 2 heading back to NY you could see the pressure building on the players. IMO the yankee players got away from their game and played tight,nervous baseball. In a way they made it easy for the trash talking idiots. Mo didn't get a standing O at Fenway on opening day 2005 for nothing.

2007 was different. The Sox were clearly the best team in baseball that year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The 2007 ALCS was somewhat of a great escape too.  Good thing Beckett brought his A game to Cleveland for Game 5 and Sabathia was not at his best.  Game 7 was a little too interesting at times too.

But that's baseball, right?  It's usually not an easy ride for the champs.  The Giants swept the Series this year but they were also down 2-0 to Cincy and 3-1 to St. Louis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jim, The Yankees had plenty of chances to close out that series. They failed each time. When the series was 3 games to 2 heading back to NY you could see the pressure building on the players. IMO the yankee players got away from their game and played tight,nervous baseball. In a way they made it easy for the trash talking idiots. Mo didn't get a standing O at Fenway on opening day 2005 for nothing.

[/QUOTE]

The 2004 ALCS is a great example of why I abhor the 5 game series.

The short series gives the advantage to the weaker team.

All you need is a couple of decent starters and a few guys to get hot.

If the ALCS was a 5 game series the Yankees would have prevailed shutting out the Sox 3-0.

A 7 game series gives the stronger team more of an opportunity to get things going, which is what happened in the 2004 ALCS. Especially an advantage to a team with a deeper pen.

Then the Red Sox went on to destroy the Cardinal 4-0 in the World Series, winning 7 games in a row against two of the best teams in the game, but I suppose the Cards choked too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the ALCS was a 5 game series the Yankees would have prevailed shutting out the Sox 3-0.

A 7 game series gives the stronger team more of an opportunity to get things going, which is what happened in the 2004 ALCS. Especially an advantage to a team with a deeper pen.

Then the Red Sox went on to destroy the Cardinal 4-0 in the World Series, winning 7 games in a row against two of the best teams in the game, but I suppose the Cards choked too.

[/QUOTE]

In the end the 2004 Yankees fatal flaw was that they had built a team with a predominant righthaded middle of the lineup and they had no lefties in their rotation either. I'd say that in hindsight letting Petitte leave for Houston. Might well have tipped the scales in our favor too...Conversly the Red Sox lineup was better suited to play in Yankee stadium and without a lefthanded starter and not enough lefthanded arms in the pen. They couldn't nuetralize our line-up with Damon, Belhorn, Nixon, Ortiz, Varitek and Mueller all hitting from the leftside...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In the end the 2004 Yankees fatal flaw was that they had built a team with a predominant righthaded middle of the lineup and they had no lefties in their rotation either. I'd say that in hindsight letting Petitte leave for Houston. Might well have tipped the scales in our favor too...Conversly the Red Sox lineup was better suited to play in Yankee stadium and without a lefthanded starter and not enough lefthanded arms in the pen. They couldn't nuetralize our line-up with Damon, Belhorn, Nixon, Ortiz, Varitek and Mueller all hitting from the leftside...

[/QUOTE]

I agree BT.

But would add the injury to and loss of the left handed bat of first baseman Jon Olerud who was replaced by righty Tony Clark served to make matters worst for the Yankees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Greetings BT

With all due respect to your analysis, the Yankees pounded the stuffing out of us the first 3 games and had Mariano on the mound to close out the sweep in Game 4.  Our hopes in Game 4 were hanging on the shot arm of Curtis Leskanic at one point.  We were extremely fortunate to even get to the stage of having our advantages show.

I think it was 2 very evenly matched teams.  Games 4, 5 and 6 were hard-fought battles that could have gone either way.  In Game 6 Mark Bellhorn hit a 3-run homer to the opposite field.  How does that happen?

By Game 7 the Yankees had run out of pitchers and D-Lowe was our ace in the hole.  In retrospect the Yanks probably should have started Loaiza. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Greetings BT

With all due respect to your analysis, the Yankees pounded the stuffing out of us the first 3 games and had Mariano on the mound to close out the sweep in Game 4.  Our hopes in Game 4 were hanging on the shot arm of Curtis Leskanic at one point.  We were extremely fortunate to even get to the stage of having our advantages show.

I think it was 2 very evenly matched teams.  Games 4, 5 and 6 were hard-fought battles that could have gone either way.  In Game 6 Mark Bellhorn hit a 3-run homer to the opposite field.  How does that happen?

By Game 7 the Yankees had run out of pitchers and D-Lowe was our ace in the hole.  In retrospect the Yanks probably should have started Loaiza. 

[/QUOTE]

I am not dismissing the events that led to us winning the series and in the end it was the depth of our rotation and bullpen with a huge tip of the cap to Schilling, Wake, Lowe and Foulke who's performances in pivotal games proved to be the difference and let's not dimiss the fact that we pretty much pounded the Yankees into submission once the series moved to Yankee stadium...

What I was alluding to was that after game 5 when the series shifted to Yankee stadium. The Yankees flaw was that they weren't constructed to take advantage of their home park. While it took a gutsy performance from Schill and then Lowe in game seven, fact is that aside from Posada and Matsui there lineup was heavily leaning right and in the house that Ruth built not having a lefthanded starter to nuetralize our leafty leaning lineup proved fatal...Look no further back than 2009 when the Yanks with Sabathia & Petittie with a huge tip of the cap to Marte shutdown the middle of the Phillies lineup and rendered Utely, Howard and Ibanez all but useless. Not that the Yank's bats fared all that much better but you can't dismiss the fact that the pitching matchups favored the Yanks...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I am not dismissing the events that led to us winning the series and in the end it was the depth of our rotation and bullpen with a huge tip of the cap to Schilling, Wake, Lowe and Foulke who's performances in pivotal games proved to be the difference and let's not dimiss the fact that we pretty much pounded the Yankees into submission once the series moved to Yankee stadium...

I don't think we did much pounding in Game 6.  Lieber pitched a good game for the second time in the series.  The one mistake was the pitch to Bellhorn.  But Bellhorn is kind of an unlikely candidate to take you over the fence opposite field in cold wet conditions.

In Game 7 we pounded Brown and Vazquez. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The 2007 ALCS was somewhat of a great escape too.  Good thing Beckett brought his A game to Cleveland for Game 5 and Sabathia was not at his best.  Game 7 was a little too interesting at times too.

But that's baseball, right?  It's usually not an easy ride for the champs.  The Giants swept the Series this year but they were also down 2-0 to Cincy and 3-1 to St. Louis.

[/QUOTE]

Very good point Hfxsoxnut.   :)

The Rockies also had too long of a break before the World Series. 

Didn't the Rockies win 25 out of their last 26 games (including the playoffs) before facing Boston?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not at all.  The Cards were a very good team who had the misfortune to step in front of a rolling freight train.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

Sox were a better team than the Cards. Having their ace on the shelf didn't hurt either.

How bout them cowboys.

One playoff win (wild card) in 15 years.

Romo being Romo again last night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will chime in. I was in Pt. St. Lucie, Florida rebuilding my Mother's home after Hurricane's Frances and Jeanne had hit in almost the exact same spot approximately 3 weeks apart from each other. Frances on the 5th of Sept. and Jeanne on the 25th.  My mother was in NY for the summer and I brought her home several weeks later, once we knew no more storms were developing.  I stayed in Florida, literally rebuilding her home for 5 weeks. While down there, the Sox broke my heart, but the next day as I was walking through the community that my Mama's home was in and saw the complete destruction of homes & lives, I finally realized that it is just a game and I never mourned the 2004 series.

Congrats to the 2004 Sox for a wondeful run and great championship.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Do you guys think that the Red Sox would still win it all in 2004 if they did not trade Nomar?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I will chime in. I was in Pt. St. Lucie, Florida rebuilding my Mother's home after Hurricane's Frances and Jeanne had hit in almost the exact same spot approximately 3 weeks apart from each other. Frances on the 5th of Sept. and Jeanne on the 25th.  My mother was in NY for the summer and I brought her home several weeks later, once we knew no more storms were developing.  I stayed in Florida, literally rebuilding her home for 5 weeks. While down there, the Sox broke my heart, but the next day as I was walking through the community that my Mama's home was in and saw the complete destruction of homes & lives, I finally realized that it is just a game and I never mourned the 2004 series.

[/QUOTE]

That was a nice thing you did for your Mom. Port St.Lucie is approx. 3 hours north of where I purchased a place in 2002. I got a little spash over but no structure issues. The one thing about Florida is new construction can handle some pretty stiff storms. Sandy showed us all around the NE that we are not as prepared. You're right,sports are nothing more than an outlet for some fun. It amazes me how so many take it to heart. The 2004 championship meant a lot more to my Dad and his Dad than to my generation.  I enjoyed the 2007 championship more because they clearly were the best team in baseball that year. I don't expect to see another one for a few years if then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

HH - Pt. St. Lucie (home of the Mets S.T. facility never fully recovered from those storms and we are now 8 years later. The value on the homes dropped by almost 85%. Finally sold it last year for basically pennies.

Living in Queens, NY and being part of an incident response team for the city, the disaster that Sandy brought needed to be seen up close and personal. I was in Cancun when Hurricane Gilbert hit in 1988 - saw for the first time what Mother Nature could do.

Since 1988, I take sports for what it is; entertainment and nothing more.

Wishng all here a very Happy New Year. Stay safe!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you guys think that the Red Sox would still win it all in 2004 if they did not trade Nomar?  

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we would have...Nomar was dragging us down...and Cabrera played some great baseball for us.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BombBuster. Show BombBuster's posts

Didn't see it mentioned.

Count the run totals of both teams during the 2004 Sox-Yanks 7 game series (on way to the only Red Sox World Series Championship in 86 years) and you get 86 runs scored. Put that with the comeback and I don't think the Sox were going to be stopped.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice story Jessey.    I know I have a tendency to take some Red Sox losses really hard, to the point that I have lost sleep over some of them, but I think we all realize that there are things far more important in life than a baseball game.  It's hearing things like this that help us to keep things in perspective.

Happy New Year to your and your family.

Happy New Year to everyone!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice story Jessey.    I know I have a tendency to take some Red Sox losses really hard, to the point that I have lost sleep over some of them, but I think we all realize that there are things far more important in life than a baseball game.  It's hearing things like this that help us to keep things in perspective.

Happy New Year to your and your family.

Happy New Year to everyone!

[/QUOTE]

Back at you Kimmi - my cousins Granddaughter was one of the 1st Graders in Sandy Hook that the teacher Soto put in the closet before the maniac came into the room killing her and 6 other kids. You get to be grateful even during tragedy.

If we take Sports disappointments to seriously, what will we do when real tragedy strikes. Plus, I am a Jets fan - who knows more about losing than us; except for maybe Cubbie fans.

Sections
Shortcuts