Flashback: 10 things that still amaze me about the 2004 ALCS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Flashback: 10 things that still amaze me about the 2004 ALCS

In 2004, I was hoping for the Red Sox to play the Astros and Roger Clemens.  Imagine, Clemens starting game one of the World Series vs. Boston at Fenway Park.  The Red Sox line-up would have ended his day by the 4th inning.  LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Copy the post that you wish to respond to, paste it, and then respond below it. Even a caveman can do it..

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you thought the Yankees choked then you thought they had the better team

The Yankees had the better team. The Red Sox had the better middle of the lineup. The Yankees don't win the division with 100 plus wins and go up 3-0 unless they were the better team. It took the greatest choke job in MLB playoff history. The Red Sox pulled the greatest choke job in regular season history. The two teams are locked in history in a way that it's impossible not to think of one without the other.

[/QUOTE]

If they were the better team because of 100 wins and going up 3-0 does that not make the RS the better team due to winning the next 4 games? Also how did the NYY choke? They were out played there was nothing they did or did not due that shows any type of chocking.

[/QUOTE]

Jim, The Yankees had plenty of chances to close out that series. They failed each time. When the series was 3 games to 2 heading back to NY you could see the pressure building on the players. IMO the yankee players got away from their game and played tight,nervous baseball. In a way they made it easy for the trash talking idiots. Mo didn't get a standing O at Fenway on opening day 2005 for nothing.

2007 was different. The Sox were clearly the best team in baseball that year.

[/QUOTE]

The 2004 ALCS is a great example of why I abhor the 5 game series.

The short series gives the advantage to the weaker team.

All you need is a couple of decent starters and a few guys to get hot.

If the ALCS was a 5 game series the Yankees would have prevailed shutting out the Sox 3-0.

A 7 game series gives the stronger team more of an opportunity to get things going, which is what happened in the 2004 ALCS. Especially an advantage to a team with a deeper pen.

Then the Red Sox went on to destroy the Cardinal 4-0 in the World Series, winning 7 games in a row against two of the best teams in the game, but I suppose the Cards choked too.

[/QUOTE] 

Sox were a better team than the Cards. Having their ace on the shelf didn't hurt either.

How bout them cowboys.

One playoff win (wild card) in 15 years.

Romo being Romo again last night.

[/QUOTE]

Cowboy defense decimated by injuries.

Last night without 5 starters on defense, starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff, DE Kenyon Coleman the two great young inside line backers Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, starting safty Barry Church.

Demarcus Ware playing situational downs because of a shoulder and elbow issues he needs off season surgery for.

I'm surprised they hung in the standings as long as they did, the defense was shot.

Even if they won there is no way they beat Seattle. Feeling cocky about the Pats?

If they get out of the AFC whoever they face from the NFC will destroy them.

Jets, Dolphins and Bills is the worst division in football. There's 6 wins.

How about them Celts? No Celtic talk out of you this season I noticed.

[/QUOTE]

For starters Pop's it wasn't the Cowboy's defense that threw 3 picks. It was your boy Tony OH-NO.  In elimination games he is 1-7. He's a total fraud and Jerry Jones is an owner who plays GM and only hires coaches he can control. That's why in 15 years they have been nobody's.

Every team suffers injuries. It's the nature of the sport. Good teams have depth which is why the Pat's have back-ups at every position. TE only being one. The cowboys blow their payroll on a few studs and like the Jets are very thin on reserves.

I don't know how deep the Pat's will go this season. I do know every year there in the mix. They lost 4 regular season games. 3 by a total of 4 points. That included a 1 point loss in Seattle.

FYI the Pat's in there 2 SB losses were not destroyed.

BTW they won 3 since 2001.

The C's are a lot like your yanks.

Best days are in the rear view mirror.

One of your new year goals should be to stop living in the past and try to grasp what is currently happening in the world of sports.

That and retire before it's too late.

[/QUOTE]

Pats play in a division with 3 of the worst teams in football.

Pats played how many teams during the 2012 season that have moved onto the play-offs 3?

Baltimore, SF and Seattle.

And how many of those games did the Pats win?

Answer 0-3.

They played 3 NFC teams this season and lost to two.

You sound like Brady's wife.

[/QUOTE]

"Pats played how many teams during the 2012 season that have moved onto the playoffs?"

Your answer TWM was 3. (Seattle,SF and Baltimore)

WOW.

What happened to Indy,Houston and Denver?

"you sound like Brady's wife"

You sound llke a fool.

2013 and yet again I'am forced to school you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Yankees had the better team. The Red Sox had the better middle of the lineup. The Yankees don't win the division with 100 plus wins and go up 3-0 unless they were the better team. It took the greatest choke job in MLB playoff history. The Red Sox pulled the greatest choke job in regular season history. The two teams are locked in history in a way that it's impossible not to think of one without the other.

[/QUOTE]

If they were the better team because of 100 wins and going up 3-0 does that not make the RS the better team due to winning the next 4 games? Also how did the NYY choke? They were out played there was nothing they did or did not due that shows any type of chocking.

[/QUOTE]

Jim, The Yankees had plenty of chances to close out that series. They failed each time. When the series was 3 games to 2 heading back to NY you could see the pressure building on the players. IMO the yankee players got away from their game and played tight,nervous baseball. In a way they made it easy for the trash talking idiots. Mo didn't get a standing O at Fenway on opening day 2005 for nothing.

[/QUOTE]

If the ALCS was a 5 game series the Yankees would have prevailed shutting out the Sox 3-0.

A 7 game series gives the stronger team more of an opportunity to get things going, which is what happened in the 2004 ALCS. Especially an advantage to a team with a deeper pen.

Then the Red Sox went on to destroy the Cardinal 4-0 in the World Series, winning 7 games in a row against two of the best teams in the game, but I suppose the Cards choked too.

[/QUOTE] 

Sox were a better team than the Cards. Having their ace on the shelf didn't hurt either.

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

Last night without 5 starters on defense, starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff, DE Kenyon Coleman the two great young inside line backers Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, starting safty Barry Church.

Demarcus Ware playing situational downs because of a shoulder and elbow issues he needs off season surgery for.

I'm surprised they hung in the standings as long as they did, the defense was shot.

Even if they won there is no way they beat Seattle. Feeling cocky about the Pats?

[/QUOTE]

For starters Pop's it wasn't the Cowboy's defense that threw 3 picks. It was your boy Tony OH-NO.  In elimination games he is 1-7. He's a total fraud and Jerry Jones is an owner who plays GM and only hires coaches he can control. That's why in 15 years they have been nobody's.

Every team suffers injuries. It's the nature of the sport. Good teams have depth which is why the Pat's have back-ups at every position. TE only being one. The cowboys blow their payroll on a few studs and like the Jets are very thin on reserves.

I don't know how deep the Pat's will go this season. I do know every year there in the mix. They lost 4 regular season games. 3 by a total of 4 points. That included a 1 point loss in Seattle.

One of your new year goals should be to stop living in the past and try to grasp what is currently happening in the world of sports.

[/QUOTE]

Pats played how many teams during the 2012 season that have moved onto the play-offs 3?

Answer 0-3.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Patriots play in the worst division in football.

They should be in the play-offs if the Cowboys Giants or Eagles traded places with them and played the Dolphins, Jets and Bills any of those three teams would be in the play-offs too.

Pats are like a lot of other teams in football with the team built around a few great players the game has changed a lot the past 20 years the Pats are not a super team by any stretch of the imagination, they would have had a much more difficult time over in the NFC where there is better balance.

But we'll see how good they are within a few weeks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Answer 0-3.

[/QUOTE]

"Pats played how many teams during the 2012 season that have moved onto the playoffs?"

WOW.

You sound llke a fool.

[/QUOTE]

You know all about sounding like a fool.

[/QUOTE]

It took the astute hh 4 or 5 days to formulate his response.

Maybe his dial-up was down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see more similarities between the Pats and Yanks then the Celts and Yanks btw.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Answer 0-3.

[/QUOTE]

WOW.

You sound llke a fool.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Still sticking with the number of teams (3) the Pats played that made it to the play offs?

Even when you get schooled you can't admit you were wrong.

You're a phony. Now get back to work and leave this board to the educated sport fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Answer 0-3.

[/QUOTE]

WOW.

You sound llke a fool.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Still sticking with the number of teams (3) the Pats played that made it to the play offs?

You're a phony. Now get back to work and leave this board to the educated sport fans.

[/QUOTE]

Educated?

Spell potato.

Even a blind squirrel finds nuts.

I love it how you dwell on perceived victories because they happen so infrequent.

By nice to me and I'll post a photo of the Cowboys 5 Lombardi trophies so you can see how impressive that many look clustered together. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Answer 0-3.

[/QUOTE]

WOW.

You sound llke a fool.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Educated?

Spell potato.

I love it how you dwell on perceived victories because they happen so infrequent.

By nice to me and I'll post a photo of the Cowboys 5 Lombardi trophies so you can see how impressive that many look clustered together. 

[/QUOTE]

Stop living in the past TWM. The Cowboys have been a joke for 15 years.

The Pat's are a very good team year in and year out.

I never predicted they would win the SB this year or even get there.

What I do know is they are strongly in the mix as always.

BTW you  really don't want to be connected with a loser like Ben.

I guess you will take support no matter how foolish a person it comes from.

"EDUCATED"

Last I looked you're the one still trying to make ends meet.

At 66 years of age no less.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Answer 0-3.

[/QUOTE]

WOW.

You sound llke a fool.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Educated?

Spell potato.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cowboys are a joke?

Who stole who's uniforms?

The silver helmet right down to the star on it.

Cowboys blue away jersey and silver pants.

A long way from the team colors of red and white isn't it?

John Hannah 8x10 Photo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Have a potatoe for lunch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't eat lunch.

Go for brunch everyday around 10am.

Snack around 3 and dinner @ 8.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Answer 0-3.

[/QUOTE]

WOW.

You sound llke a fool.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Educated?

Spell potato.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cowboys are a joke?

Who stole who's uniforms?

The silver helmet right down to the star on it.

Cowboys blue away jersey and silver pants.

A long way from the team colors of red and white isn't it?

John Hannah 8x10 Photo

[/QUOTE] "Cowboys a joke"

That you got right.

Jones says there will be big changes coming.

Yet Romo OH-NO will stay.

Let me know how that works for you.

"uniforms"

Pat's are America's Team after all.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They should be in the play-offs if the Cowboys Giants or Eagles traded places with them and played the Dolphins, Jets and Bills any of those three teams would be in the play-offs too.

Pats are like a lot of other teams in football with the team built around a few great players the game has changed a lot the past 20 years the Pats are not a super team by any stretch of the imagination, they would have had a much more difficult time over in the NFC where there is better balance.

[/QUOTE]

"Pat's built around a few great players"

How many teams had 7 players voted to the Pro Bowl?

You really should do some homework before posting stupid stuff.

" we'll see how good they are in a few weeks"

That's the difference between us.

You will be in your house watching. Why I don't know. Hoping Pat's lose I guess.

I will be in Australia celebrating life.

Hope Pat's win but not atop of my to do list.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Might want to spring for spell check.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Might want to spring for spell check.

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha.

Now you're going to deny that you were spelling potato the same way Dan Quayle did?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You will be in your house watching. Why I don't know. Hoping Pat's lose I guess.

[/QUOTE]

Pro bowl means very little especially considering the fans are also voting.

The game isn't watchable and now to further detract from it they play it before the SB.

The game today has been ruined by the cap and expansion, too many teams the talent in the old days was more concentrated, better rivalries. But i agree the best football of the year is coming up.

I grew up watching the great Giant teams, Johnny U., Jimmy Brown, Gale Sayers and the great Packer - Cowboy games. That was football.

I went with the Cowboys because I was a big fan of Bullet Bob Hayes from Florida A&M, he was really the first speedy receiver to play the game.

What I don't understand is why you keep coming back here to be abused almost like you really enjoy it. Coming here for you is masochistic.

You remind me of a guy from the project I grew up with who got beat up everyday, he ran his mouth and didn't know when to stay down.

The only people he could beat up were his girl friends.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually one of my sisters married an Italian from N. Boston who is a big Sox and Patriot fan they own a great local bar and Italian restaurant, recipes from his family who immigrated from Italy I go there and kick back and enjoy the games kind of like everyone else does.

Lot of folks from the old neighborhood.

The place will be packed SB Sunday, really great food and I'm in a few pools to boot.

Australia not a country I would go out of my way to visit and it will be nice not being stalked while you're there, hope you're not driving flipper.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1 David Ortiz.  Walkoff HR in G4.  Walkoff single in G5.  Including the last game of the ALDS, over a span of 6 postseason games the Red Sox had 3 wins, and they all came on walkoff hits by Ortiz.  He also had a key HR in the 8th inning of G5 and another in the 1st inning of G7.  For the 2004 postseason, Ortiz hit a mind-boggling 400/515/764 with 5 HR and 19 RBI in 14 games.

2 Joe Torre crucial error in G5.  The Yankees led 4-2 going to the bottom of the 8th inning.  Torre opted to open the inning with Tom Gordon instead of Rivera.  Rivera had thrown 2 innings and 40 pitches in G4 and Torre didnt want to ask him to do it 2 games in a row.  But Gordon gave up a home run, a walk and a single without retiring a batter.  Then Torre brought in Rivera.  Rivera allowed a game-tying sac fly, then closed out the rest of the inning, and the 9th inning as well, with no further damage.  So yes, he ended up throwing the 2 innings anyway.  Thanks always, Joe.

3 Curt Schilling G6.  The Bloody Sock has come to overshadow Schillings performance.  But even if you leave out the Sock and the strange saga of how Dr. Bill Morgan was able to get him out on the field, it was a masterful clutch performance at the most crucial time.  7 innings of 1-run ball on a cold miserable night in Yankee Stadium, in front of 50,000 Yankee fans there to see the Red Sox comeback and the hopes of their fans crash and burn one more time.

4 Umpiring crew G6.  I still cant believe this.  First they correctly reversed the original call on Bellhorns HR which was called a double at first.  That was a one run turnaround.  Then, even more incredibly, they correctly reversed the original call on the A-Rod slap play, with 50,000 fans booing and throwing stuff on the field.  That was at least a one run turnaround.  Both reversals were based solely on the umpires assembling and discussing what they had seen-no replays.

5 Yankee bats silenced after G3.  In G3 the Yankees were a wrecking machine, hitting scorching line drive after towering bomb en route to a merciless 19-run barrage that left the Red Sox staff in shreds.  Then, magically, in G4-7, the Red Sox pitching was suddenly stellar and the Yankee big bats, A-Rod, Sheffield, and Matsui, were virtually shut down.  How can you explain such things?  How can a pitcher like Curtis Leskanic record 4 straight outs in the extra innings of G4 after giving up 3 runs and getting only one out in G3?  Those 4 outs, by the way, were the last pitches of Leskanics career.

6 Keith Foulke G4-6.  Foulke somehow managed to throw 5 scoreless innings and 100 pitches in 3 nights.  He was truly running on fumes by the time Tony Clark swung and missed the final pitch of G6. One of Franconas greatest moves was using Foulke to get 8 outs in G4 while the Red Sox were still trailing by a run.  Foulke went on to a lights-out World Series.  Unfortunately, it appears he paid the price for his magnificent postseason with the health of his arm.

7 Derek Lowe G4, G7.  Here is a pitcher coming off a truly awful season, so bad that he was pushed out of the postseason rotation and only the G4 starter because of the dire condition of the staff.  Lowe turns in a clutch performance in G4, then another in G7.  He ends up as the winning pitcher in the deciding games of all 3 postseason series for the Sox.  And then, of course, is cut loose by the team.  It's a strange game.

8 Tony Clark ground-rule double in 9th inning of G5.  Often pointed to as the moment that made many people think the baseball gods were on the Sox side for once.  If Clarks ball doesnt hop the fence, Sierra scores, and Rivera probably closes things out for a 5-4 Yankee win and the end of the series.

9 Francona near-critical error in G5.  Cant let you off the hook on this one, Terry.  In the top of the 6th inning the Yankees took a 4-2 lead on Jeters 2-out, bases-loaded double off Pedro.  It was a dagger, another big blow by Captain Clutch.  Following that, Pedro hit A-Rod and walked Sheffield to re-load the bases.  Up steps Matsui, who to this point in the series already has a ridiculous 12 hits and 10 RBI.  This would be the correct time to pull Pedro, who is clearly at the end of his rope, having reached 107 pitches.  Surely Tito remembers the lessons of 2003 ALCS G7 when Pedro was left in too long.  Surely he knows the stats on how Pedro loses effectiveness at 105 pitches and will not let him face the smoking-hot Matsui.  Well, actually, no.  Tito leaves Pedro in, and on a 2-1 pitch Matsui hits a deadly-looking sinking liner to right field.  Miraculously, Trot Nixon, whose misplay on a Jeter fly ball in that same 2003 ALCS G7 contributed to the Yankee rally, runs in and makes a fine catch to keep the score at 4-2.     

10 Tim Wakefield G5.  Tim Wakefield somehow threw 3 scoreless innings, the 12th, 13th and 14th, and became the winning pitcher.  All this with Varitek catching him instead of his usual catcher Mirabelli.  The 13th inning was the classic, as no less than 3 passed balls by Varitek resulted in an extra out for the Yankees and 3 bases advanced by the runners.  It all came down to Wakefield striking out Sierra with the bases loaded on a 3-2 count, his 34th pitch of the inning.  You can't make this stuff up.

Yes, I know, I'm leaving out things like the Roberts steal and Damons HRs.  Others would likely have much different lists.  That's how much stuff happened in that one incredible series.   

[/QUOTE]

Sheffield calling our players a bunch of "want to be's" didn't help the Yankees cause either.  After the game 3 thrashing and years of frustration it was just a matter of time but still the greatest comeback I have ever witnessed.