Flashback: 10 things that still amaze me about the 2004 ALCS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Flashback: 10 things that still amaze me about the 2004 ALCS

It was the most remarkable series as a fan I have ever seen in my lifetime and I don't expect that to ever change. Thanks for the memories.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What does the moniker of BostonTroll Spanker mean? Please elaborate?

Are you a Boston native who wants to spanks trolls in general?

Are you a non-resident to wants to spank Bosox fans?

Big difference.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds kind of kinky.  Here's a suggestion for an avatar.

Now if you could just photoshop it and include the Prudential Building, the State House, or Fenway in the background.  A Red Sox cap on the troll will fit nicely as well.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you thought the Yankees choked then you thought they had the better team

The Yankees had the better team. The Red Sox had the better middle of the lineup. The Yankees don't win the division with 100 plus wins and go up 3-0 unless they were the better team. It took the greatest choke job in MLB playoff history. The Red Sox pulled the greatest choke job in regular season history. The two teams are locked in history in a way that it's impossible not to think of one without the other.

[/QUOTE]

If they were the better team because of 100 wins and going up 3-0 does that not make the RS the better team due to winning the next 4 games? Also how did the NYY choke? They were out played there was nothing they did or did not due that shows any type of chocking.

[/QUOTE]

Jim, The Yankees had plenty of chances to close out that series. They failed each time. When the series was 3 games to 2 heading back to NY you could see the pressure building on the players. IMO the yankee players got away from their game and played tight,nervous baseball. In a way they made it easy for the trash talking idiots. Mo didn't get a standing O at Fenway on opening day 2005 for nothing.

2007 was different. The Sox were clearly the best team in baseball that year.

[/QUOTE]

The 2004 ALCS is a great example of why I abhor the 5 game series.

The short series gives the advantage to the weaker team.

All you need is a couple of decent starters and a few guys to get hot.

If the ALCS was a 5 game series the Yankees would have prevailed shutting out the Sox 3-0.

A 7 game series gives the stronger team more of an opportunity to get things going, which is what happened in the 2004 ALCS. Especially an advantage to a team with a deeper pen.

Then the Red Sox went on to destroy the Cardinal 4-0 in the World Series, winning 7 games in a row against two of the best teams in the game, but I suppose the Cards choked too.

[/QUOTE] 

Sox were a better team than the Cards. Having their ace on the shelf didn't hurt either.

How bout them cowboys.

One playoff win (wild card) in 15 years.

Romo being Romo again last night.

[/QUOTE]

Cowboy defense decimated by injuries.

Last night without 5 starters on defense, starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff, DE Kenyon Coleman the two great young inside line backers Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, starting safty Barry Church.

Demarcus Ware playing situational downs because of a shoulder and elbow issues he needs off season surgery for.

I'm surprised they hung in the standings as long as they did, the defense was shot.

Even if they won there is no way they beat Seattle. Feeling cocky about the Pats?

If they get out of the AFC whoever they face from the NFC will destroy them.

Jets, Dolphins and Bills is the worst division in football. There's 6 wins.

How about them Celts? No Celtic talk out of you this season I noticed.

[/QUOTE]

For starters Pop's it wasn't the Cowboy's defense that threw 3 picks. It was your boy Tony OH-NO.  In elimination games he is 1-7. He's a total fraud and Jerry Jones is an owner who plays GM and only hires coaches he can control. That's why in 15 years they have been nobody's.

Every team suffers injuries. It's the nature of the sport. Good teams have depth which is why the Pat's have back-ups at every position. TE only being one. The cowboys blow their payroll on a few studs and like the Jets are very thin on reserves.

I don't know how deep the Pat's will go this season. I do know every year there in the mix. They lost 4 regular season games. 3 by a total of 4 points. That included a 1 point loss in Seattle.

FYI the Pat's in there 2 SB losses were not destroyed.

BTW they won 3 since 2001.

The C's are a lot like your yanks.

Best days are in the rear view mirror.

One of your new year goals should be to stop living in the past and try to grasp what is currently happening in the world of sports.

That and retire before it's too late.

[/QUOTE]

Patriots play in the worst division in football.

They should be in the play-offs if the Cowboys Giants or Eagles traded places with them and played the Dolphins, Jets and Bills any of those three teams would be in the play-offs too.

Pats are like a lot of other teams in football with the team built around a few great players the game has changed a lot the past 20 years the Pats are not a super team by any stretch of the imagination, they would have had a much more difficult time over in the NFC where there is better balance.

But we'll see how good they are within a few weeks.

[/QUOTE]

"Pat's built around a few great players"

How many teams had 7 players voted to the Pro Bowl?

You really should do some homework before posting stupid stuff.

" we'll see how good they are in a few weeks"

That's the difference between us.

You will be in your house watching. Why I don't know. Hoping Pat's lose I guess.

I will be in Australia celebrating life.

Hope Pat's win but not atop of my to do list.

[/QUOTE]

Actually one of my sisters married an Italian from N. Boston who is a big Sox and Patriot fan they own a great local bar and Italian restaurant, recipes from his family who immigrated from Italy I go there and kick back and enjoy the games kind of like everyone else does.

Lot of folks from the old neighborhood.

The place will be packed SB Sunday, really great food and I'm in a few pools to boot.

Australia not a country I would go out of my way to visit and it will be nice not being stalked while you're there, hope you're not driving flipper.

[/QUOTE]

One of your earlier quotes TWM.

"Pats play in the worst division in football"

That would be the AFC West. Schooled once again.

As for the North End of Boston it is a great place to eat. Nothing fancy just good food and nice people. I may at one time or another been in your sisters place. Some of the best Italian food in Boston is the area around Boston Garden.

As for Australia it's there summer and it's one of the places my wife would like to visit. It will be my second time and why you don't see it as a great destination surprises me. Growing up in the projects clearly has lowered your ceiling of expectations.

Sounds like you expect the Pat's to be playing in the SB again this year, so enjoy your roadtrip to Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Yankees had the better team. The Red Sox had the better middle of the lineup. The Yankees don't win the division with 100 plus wins and go up 3-0 unless they were the better team. It took the greatest choke job in MLB playoff history. The Red Sox pulled the greatest choke job in regular season history. The two teams are locked in history in a way that it's impossible not to think of one without the other.

[/QUOTE]

If they were the better team because of 100 wins and going up 3-0 does that not make the RS the better team due to winning the next 4 games? Also how did the NYY choke? They were out played there was nothing they did or did not due that shows any type of chocking.

[/QUOTE]

Jim, The Yankees had plenty of chances to close out that series. They failed each time. When the series was 3 games to 2 heading back to NY you could see the pressure building on the players. IMO the yankee players got away from their game and played tight,nervous baseball. In a way they made it easy for the trash talking idiots. Mo didn't get a standing O at Fenway on opening day 2005 for nothing.

[/QUOTE]

If the ALCS was a 5 game series the Yankees would have prevailed shutting out the Sox 3-0.

A 7 game series gives the stronger team more of an opportunity to get things going, which is what happened in the 2004 ALCS. Especially an advantage to a team with a deeper pen.

Then the Red Sox went on to destroy the Cardinal 4-0 in the World Series, winning 7 games in a row against two of the best teams in the game, but I suppose the Cards choked too.

[/QUOTE] 

Sox were a better team than the Cards. Having their ace on the shelf didn't hurt either.

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

Last night without 5 starters on defense, starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff, DE Kenyon Coleman the two great young inside line backers Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, starting safty Barry Church.

Demarcus Ware playing situational downs because of a shoulder and elbow issues he needs off season surgery for.

I'm surprised they hung in the standings as long as they did, the defense was shot.

Even if they won there is no way they beat Seattle. Feeling cocky about the Pats?

[/QUOTE]

For starters Pop's it wasn't the Cowboy's defense that threw 3 picks. It was your boy Tony OH-NO.  In elimination games he is 1-7. He's a total fraud and Jerry Jones is an owner who plays GM and only hires coaches he can control. That's why in 15 years they have been nobody's.

Every team suffers injuries. It's the nature of the sport. Good teams have depth which is why the Pat's have back-ups at every position. TE only being one. The cowboys blow their payroll on a few studs and like the Jets are very thin on reserves.

I don't know how deep the Pat's will go this season. I do know every year there in the mix. They lost 4 regular season games. 3 by a total of 4 points. That included a 1 point loss in Seattle.

One of your new year goals should be to stop living in the past and try to grasp what is currently happening in the world of sports.

[/QUOTE]

They should be in the play-offs if the Cowboys Giants or Eagles traded places with them and played the Dolphins, Jets and Bills any of those three teams would be in the play-offs too.

Pats are like a lot of other teams in football with the team built around a few great players the game has changed a lot the past 20 years the Pats are not a super team by any stretch of the imagination, they would have had a much more difficult time over in the NFC where there is better balance.

[/QUOTE]

You will be in your house watching. Why I don't know. Hoping Pat's lose I guess.

[/QUOTE]

Actually one of my sisters married an Italian from N. Boston who is a big Sox and Patriot fan they own a great local bar and Italian restaurant, recipes from his family who immigrated from Italy I go there and kick back and enjoy the games kind of like everyone else does.

The place will be packed SB Sunday, really great food and I'm in a few pools to boot.

Australia not a country I would go out of my way to visit and it will be nice not being stalked while you're there, hope you're not driving flipper.

[/QUOTE]

As for the North End of Boston it is a great place to eat. Nothing fancy just good food and nice people. I may at one time or another been in your sisters place. Some of the best Italian food in Boston is the area around Boston Garden.

As for Australia it's there summer and it's one of the places my wife would like to visit. It will be my second time and why you don't see it as a great destination surprises me. Growing up in the projects clearly has lowered your ceiling of expectations.

Sounds like you expect the Pat's to be playing in the SB again this year, so enjoy your roadtrip to Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Whether the AFC west or east is the worst in football is debatable.

My sister's restaurant in located in the capital district of upstate NY.

If I travel I spend most of my vacation time in the mountains fishing the streams and rivers of Alaska, the rockies primarily Montana and Idaho but colorado is nice too.

Wherever I can wet a fly.  I have no idea who will make it to the SB.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hope a dingo drags you out to the Outback.

[/QUOTE]

If his wife was smart she'd get him on a cruise slip him a mickey and then push him overboard.

Save herself a few years of grief. Could you ever imagine how it would be listening to him all day long?

Insufferable.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If his wife was smart she'd get him on a cruise slip him a mickey and then push him overboard.

Save herself a few years of grief. Could you ever imagine how it would be listening to him all day long?

Insufferable.

[/QUOTE]

1) the sharks would throw him back.

2) He would leave a slime ring around the Barrier Reef.

[/QUOTE]

He is so waspy.

He has this noble vision himself that he is better than everyone else.

He was brought up to look down his nose at the working class it seeps out in all his posts.

Comes to a baseball site to flaunt his wealth for acceptance.

His grandfather owned a car dealership somewhere and left him some money so he thinks of himself as a Bonnie Prince Charles.

My family left Ireland to get away from all that bs.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Insufferable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is so waspy.

He was brought up to look down his nose at the working class it seeps out in all his posts.

His grandfather owned a car dealership somewhere and left him some money so he thinks of himself as a Bonnie Prince Charles.

[/QUOTE]

and he can't spell potato?

[/QUOTE]

Last site he was on he spelled it potatoe.

Like Dan Quayle.

He denies it.

We had fun with it.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Insufferable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is so waspy.

[/QUOTE]

and he can't spell potato?

[/QUOTE]

Last site he was on he spelled it potatoe.

Like Dan Quayle.

He denies it.

We had fun with it.

[/QUOTE]

Guess the Hammer like potatoe salade for his brunch.

What a goof.

[/QUOTE]

He'll be back for more, he loves punishment.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Insufferable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is so waspy.

[/QUOTE]

"grandfather owned a car dealership"

That was many,many years ago and just the beginning of the story.

If I flaunted as you suggest, you would know much more. You don't.

He too came to this country from Ireland and married a girl from London.

BTW both are alive and well.

"look down his nose at the working class"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

TWM, you are the only one that applies to.

Look at you. 66 years old and still working for the man.

Pretty clear the best 9 years of your life were high school.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] 

How bout them cowboys.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Insufferable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is so waspy.

[/QUOTE]

"grandfather owned a car dealership"

That was many,many years ago and just the beginning of the story.

He too came to this country from Ireland and married a girl from London.

BTW both are alive and well.

"look down his nose at the working class"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

TWM, you are the only one that applies to.

Look at you. 66 years old and still working for the man.

Pretty clear the best 9 years of your life were high school.

[/QUOTE]

There are quite a few wasps in Ireland.

Not surprising you have no sense of irish history being the selfish clod you are.

And a lot of similarities between you and the pikester.

Both of you go off on these fantasies describing posters you have never met or will.

Folks you know absolutely nothing about.

You say you don't look down your nose at the middle class and then in the very same breath go into a diatribe demeaning someone who believes in an honest day's work. 

How many of the wealthiest people in this country do you suppose continue to work despite having no need for monetary gain?

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

This thread is the #1 example of why the current REPLY TO function has to be retooled.  Each post has become a page long and repeats 95% of what was already read on preceding posts.

[/QUOTE]

Knowing it annoys you pleasures me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People, please, don't keep copying entire posts like that.  It really makes a mess. 

[/QUOTE]

It really does make a mess.  The length of some of the responses is ridiculous, especially since the actual response in most cases is only a few lines.

Very good thread topic Bob.  Sorry it got derailed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This thread is the #1 example of why the current REPLY TO function has to be retooled.  Each post has become a page long and repeats 95% of what was already read on preceding posts.

[/QUOTE]

Knowing it annoys you pleasures me.

[/QUOTE]

Hehe

25. This post has been removed.