Flighty Fans Strike Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Flighty Fans Strike Again

A few days ago, the Sox were going to catch the Yankees. After 3 losses, the season is over. The reality is they're 5 games out of the WC, which is where the experts picked them to finish. While this may not happen, it's still feasible.

The only thing that this year has proved IMO is that the RS Mgr position is the 2nd toughest job in America.

Whenever this job becomes available, it might actually be a little harder to fill than in the past.

It wouldn't also surprise me if the team is put up for sale; John Henry treats it like a mistress he got bored with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Flighty Fans Strike Again

They saw what the Dodgers got, have put 300mm into the park, brought 2 WSC to Boston after 86 yrs...They could DOUBLE what they paid for this team and just walk away, which I think they are going to do...
    It brings up another discussion...is there a name that could and would buy this team?
    Haha...Imagine if Mark Cuban bought the Sox...Far fetched? I think not...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

..and this is news?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

They could find a suitor -- easily.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think people are simply not looking outside the box (batter's or otherwise)...
    There are probably some 100 people right now that could be named manager and it in my opinion would improve the morale of the team. There is no guarantee that the Sox would win under a new manager--there is a guarantee, however, that who really cares if BV is given enough time to turn it around. This team has never been this low in Win Pct. THIS LATE IN A SEASON as far back as Jimy Williams. Heck, it could be farther back. I just don't see the love affair for BV--it's not working, fire him. With the extra wildcard, lousy teams are always in the race--COUNT the Sox as one of the lousy teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I heard this recently, and it's so true:
    New York fans hate their coaches and managers upon arrival but come to love them. Boston fans do the exact opposite.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I've heard this too, and it's not recent. If you have a manager who cannot handle the media pressure in Boston, whether it be a head coach in any of the 4 major sports---Rick Pitino probably the closest to matching BV--then it's time to go. Jimy, bless his heart was great with the media, so was Grady, and certainly Tito. Bellichick knows how to "play" the media, Rivers is terrific with the media, Julien is a master with the media, knows exactly what to say, and has a way to call out players when he has to--but does so without it being overly dramatic--players respect him. I think BV wants to do this--he wants to simply manage the team, he loves the in-game part of the game and that's why he wants to manage--but he can't deal with everything else. And that my poster friends is a major component of being a Boston sports leader--he just can't figure out what to do with the media and with the organization that clearly has no clue either at this point. The FO lost its way, and poor BV is being eaten alive, but tough turkey. You want the job, then win, baby, just win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Flighty Fans Strike Again:
    [QUOTE]I've heard this too, and it's not recent. If you have a manager who cannot handle the media pressure in Boston, whether it be a head coach in any of the 4 major sports---Rick Pitino probably the closest to matching BV--then it's time to go. Jimy, bless his heart was great with the media, so was Grady, and certainly Tito. Bellichick knows how to "play" the media, Rivers is terrific with the media, Julien is a master with the media, knows exactly what to say, and has a way to call out players when he has to--but does so without it being overly dramatic--players respect him. I think BV wants to do this--he wants to simply manage the team, he loves the in-game part of the game and that's why he wants to manage--but he can't deal with everything else. And that my poster friends is a major component of being a Boston sports leader--he just can't figure out what to do with the media and with the organization that clearly has no clue either at this point. The FO lost its way, and poor BV is being eaten alive, but tough turkey. You want the job, then win, baby, just win.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    If Doc Rivers knew anything about baseball, he'd be a terrific hire. Exactly the type we need, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Do you think BV wold make a better bench coach? He knows the game and IMO can handle in game situations well...Just wont have to deal with the media...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i think bobby handles the media pretty well...its the players who seem to resent him...or at least some...and thats managements fault for allowing that

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]i think bobby handles the media pretty well...its the players who seem to resent him...or at least some...and thats managements fault for allowing that
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    You don't think that just maybe Bobby is a little to blame, too?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No, geo, if he handled the media, there would be none of this he said-she said, and snitches, and 15 stories that he lost the team's confidence--FO and players. That is far from "handling the media well."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

to geo's credit, he was dying for Tito to be fired and hoped for BV to be the instigator or the guy who calls out the players...well, he sort of did that..didn't work, did it? Nope.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If you wanted Tito fired on this board, my guess is all of those posters will defend BV for the rest of the season, and or will defend him even if the team finished 10 under .500. And it's perfectly understandable. No one wants to say the obvious--the team really is worse than at any point in Tito's command here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]If you wanted Tito fired on this board, my guess is all of those posters will defend BV for the rest of the season, and or will defend him even if the team finished 10 under .500. And it's perfectly understandable. No one wants to say the obvious--the team really is worse than at any point in Tito's command here.
    I'll say it. People point out the massive injury list this season, and that's certainly true. But the 2010 team had it even worse, and it finished 16 games over .500.
    Again, I'm not saying Valentine's the sole reason for this disappointing season. But he's certainly part of it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You can't fire the players, too. Sorry, BV must go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]If you wanted Tito fired on this board, my guess is all of those posters will defend BV for the rest of the season, and or will defend him even if the team finished 10 under .500. And it's perfectly understandable. No one wants to say the obvious--the team really is worse than at any point in Tito's command here.

The team is worse because the PLAYERS are worse. Tito was one of the most mediocre, do-nothing managers during regular season games that I have ever seen. In the playoffs he was better, more active at managing, but during the regular season he failed to remove pitchers in a timely manner, failed to pinch hit for slumping batters for fear of hurting their feelings, failed to bench slumping players, failed to use the full arsenal of offensive weapons available to him, and allowed the clubhouse to be turned into a circus run by buffoons like Beckett and Lackey. He made these mistakes over and over and over again because he never learned from his mistakes. Firing him was absolutely the right thing to do, and hiring Valentine was absolutely the right thing to do. The mistake was made when, after he was hired, Valentine was neutered by the FO. They should just have stayed clear and let him do his job of cleaning out the Aegean Stables that the clubhouse had become.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You can't fire the players in MLB the way you fire players in the NFL. It's far easier to cut an NFL player than to "cut" a MLB player. Two different things.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bellichick could never get away with his style of player personnel in MLB due to the rules. NFL? It's a perfect place. Releasing a guy has no impact on the team, except for positive impacts on salary caps. If Bellichick had CC and 142 mil and 7 years, nothing he can do, nothing.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

encinitas, the team never thinks outside the box. and would never sit a pitcher--look at Lester, even at his worst, they stuck with him in the rotation--and he then threw 2 better starts. BV has sat guys--Youks and Salty--but to what success??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flighty Fans Strike Again : The team is worse because the PLAYERS are worse. Tito was one of the most mediocre, do-nothing managers during regular season games that I have ever seen. In the playoffs he was better, more active at managing, but during the regular season he failed to remove pitchers in a timely manner, failed to pinch hit for slumping batters for fear of hurting their feelings, failed to bench slumping players, failed to use the full arsenal of offensive weapons available to him, and allowed the clubhouse to be turned into a circus run by buffoons like Beckett and Lackey. He made these mistakes over and over and over again because he never learned from his mistakes. Firing him was absolutely the right thing to do, and hiring Valentine was absolutely the right thing to do. The mistake was made when, after he was hired, Valentine was neutered by the FO. They should just have stayed clear and let him do his job of cleaning out the Aegean Stables that the clubhouse had become.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]
    Don't you see the double standard in that argument? You're blaming Francona for how his players performed last year, yet you're giving Valentine a pass for how his players are performing this year. And however bad the clubhouse atmosphere was last year, it certainly seems no better this year.
    As for Tito not removing pitchers in a timely manner, Valentine left Doubront in at least one batter too long, if not two, last night.
    Valentine was a horrible fit for this team, and in saying that I am not blaming Valentine.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Francona created this entitlement culture.

One bad month out of 8 years.  We fired a top-5 manager and a top-5 GM, because LL thought he could do better.

This was entirely predictable.