FO ego forces themselves out of Ells signing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

FO ego forces themselves out of Ells signing

FO of RS dislike Scott Borat (sic) that they hate to lose to him. We all know he will cost a fortune. Who cares? The Sox have the money and of course will raise tix again- allready the highest in MLB. I believe in just a short time that you cannot doubt his ability to play D. Naturall the injury thing will come out. Watch! Ells will get close to $150 mill.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: FO ego forces themselves out of Ells signing

Even if we offer Ellsbury as much as the highest bidder, it is my opinion that Jacoby will choose to play anywhere but here. 

Why should he choose Boston?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There is going to be a breaking point soon on long-term, high priced contracts to free agents.

Recent long-term contracts to big name, big money players have mostly gone sour and real fast.

I expect Ellsbury and Josh Hamilton to be the next. Or maybe this is when GMs finally get smart and stop throwing millions away on long-term contracts for players nearing the end of their usefulness. Players who should be getting 3 years contracts instead of 7-10 year contracts. Anyone seriously think the Angels are going to regret signing Pujols in about 3 years?....they will still have him for about 6 more years after that! How about Texiera? ...who is already slowing down? Yankees will have to unload him before his contarct runs out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I firmly believe that a deal could have been done after the 2007 season, when it was clear to any decent MLB talent scout that Ells is, was, & will be the real deal as an MVP / All-Star player over the next decade.  The only thing that Ells clearly lacks, is a strong arm.  It must be conceded, as it is manifest.  His arm is sub-par.  Setting that aside, he is still an All-Star caliber player, and WILL BE for the forseeable future.

NOW???  Considering the issues that took place surrounding his injuries, and how the team botched it.  Not to mention the complete dysfunction surrounding the entire organization.....  We likely have ZERO chance of keeping Ells after next year, even if we were inclined to "break the bank (AGAIN)" to get a deal done. 

I agree with Moon!  He will sign with any other team!!! My guess is somewhere on the West Coast. Ells screams West Coast mentality to me. More laid back. Less pressure. Fits his personality. Haven lived on both coasts, there certainly is a major difference. Ells is simply not a Boston type of guy. Too quiet. Even without the dysfunction, he would likely choose to play elsewhere. Not knocking the guy, it simply is what it is. Not the best fit for his personality!

The best we can do is deal him toward the end of the regular season.  At least we get something for him!!!

He will be sorely missed!!! He's gonna be a potential Hall Of Fame Player for someone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Scott Boras doesn't just scare the Sox FO, he scares everyone. 

I agree Ells ain't staying because of what went before and not so much because of Boras, although he is a factor.

I also think it's too late to trade him and get much in return.  He's had one great year and two good years, 2008 and 2009--in 2009 he led MLB in SB's and the Sox in hits.  He's also missed half of this year and all of 2010. And right now he does not at all look like the 2011 almost-MVP.  Plus I contend he is basically not interested in stealing bases anymore, a trend that goes back to last season when he basically shut down after May. 

Me, I'd keep playing him and then bring in Bradley who hopefully will be ready by the end of 2013. When he signs as a free agent, the Sox draft picks as compensation. Meanwhile Ellsbury will be busting his buns to do well in a contract year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: FO ego forces themselves out of Ells signing:
    There is going to be a breaking point soon on long-term, high priced contracts to free agents. Recent long-term contracts to big name, big money players have mostly gone sour and real fast. I expect Ellsbury and Josh Hamilton to be the next. Or maybe this is when GMs finally get smart and stop throwing millions away on long-term contracts for players nearing the end of their usefulness. Players who should be getting 3 years contracts instead of 7-10 year contracts. Anyone seriously think the Angels are going to regret signing Pujols in about 3 years?....they will still have him for about 6 more years after that! How about Texiera? ...who is already slowing down? Yankees will have to unload him before his contarct runs out.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zill: Josh H is a major risk and many teams would certainly not want to give him a chance. I believe his best shot is to stay in Texas and play for a so called discount.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox have dealt with Scott BorA$$ as much or more than most MLb teams.

Dice-K  (Not a great deal for us.)
    Ellsbury (not much negotiations when it comes to arbs)
    Drew  (Not a great deal for us.)
    VTek  (Showed Borass up when Vtek lost millions)
    Beltre (Have to say we did pretty good on this 1 year deal)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'd probably take the plunge on Hamilton whose talent is prodigious.  Ellsbury, not so prodigious.  In terms of risk, I see them as about equal. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ellsbury has some work to do between now and the end of 2013 to show that 2011 wasn't an outlier career season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: FO ego forces themselves out of Ells signing:
    Ellsbury has some work to do between now and the end of 2013 to show that 2011 wasn't an outlier career season.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Ellsbury's "contract year" of 2013 could be his best, or the pressure could hurt. 

Sections
Shortcuts