Folks in NE ok? J-Bay? Steven? Hugh? Pike? Et al.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Folks in NE ok? J-Bay? Steven? Hugh? Pike? Et al.......

Hope everyone in NE is ok after the storm. I havent been on here much either lately, so if some of you have checked in, I missed it. All we got here was wind gusts in western Indiana, no rain. Bad time of the year to lose everything you have, as if there is a good time. But right before the holidays is especially bad, and the cold weather is setting in. God speed to everyone, and hang in there.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Folks in NE ok? J-Bay? Steven? Hugh? Pike? Et al.......

Thanks, exam. Check. More wind than rain in Southern CT, but the shorelines were devastated along the East Coast, coupled with high tide and the full moon. NY/Staten Island got hit hard. NJ looks like a bomb hit it. Pike and Steven have been here. Still haven't seen Jete or Jess, who both live in NY and are still without power. Hope all is well everyone. Let us know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

If NYY had made the series, game 6/7 might have been opposite NFL football on Thanksgiving! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

BTW, I know what hurricanes are all about, I've been in three. Two smaller ones in Fla., and then Hugo in SC in 88. If youve never been in one, its impossible to describe. It makes a sound unlike anything else. Very memorable! We got out of it ok, but Hugo was a bad storm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I live in White Plains, NY and this area seems fine. 

I hope everyone is safe and sound. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hey gang - just got off work which basically lasted a full 6 days. I cannot fully tell you the devastation that has happened here and all surrounding areas. Pix and news don't tell the whole story. 

Thanks for the post Examiner

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Today, I had to wait an hour and a half for gas.  The lines at the gas stations are insane. 

While waiting, I read almost every single baseball-related article in ESPN and MLB.   LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BTW, I know what hurricanes are all about, I've been in three. Two smaller ones in Fla., and then Hugo in SC in 88. If youve never been in one, its impossible to describe. It makes a sound unlike anything else. Very memorable! We got out of it ok, but Hugo was a bad storm.

[/QUOTE]

I went through four hurricanes in 2004 -- Charlie, Francis, Jeannie and I forget the other one. My biggest impression was how incredibly boring it was. All hit late in the day so when the power went off -- all four times -- there was nothing to do. Tried reading a bit, but doing that by candlelight -- tried to conserve battery power on other lighting -- you get a headache.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I went through four hurricanes in 2004 -- Charlie, Francis, Jeannie and I forget the other one. My biggest impression was how incredibly boring it was. All hit late in the day so when the power went off -- all four times -- there was nothing to do. Tried reading a bit, but doing that by candlelight -- tried to conserve battery power on other lighting -- you get a headache.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. After its over, if you and your house survive, beyond the thankfulness for that, it can get dull. My lingering memory is not being able to flush the toilet every time you used it beause of water/power issues. You had to pick your times wisely! LOL To this day, when I smell a toilet thats not been flushed that is beginning to ripen, yet not quite to the point of being obscene, I think of Hugo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

Hope everyone in NE is ok after the storm. I havent been on here much either lately, so if some of you have checked in, I missed it. All we got here was wind gusts in western Indiana, no rain. Bad time of the year to lose everything you have, as if there is a good time. But right before the holidays is especially bad, and the cold weather is setting in. God speed to everyone, and hang in there.......

[/QUOTE]

Hi Ex, Lots Of Wind And Some Rain Here In Portland Maine, Lost Some Tree Branches About It.

My Hart Go,s Out To All South Of Us Very Tough To go through...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey gang - just got off work which basically lasted a full 6 days. I cannot fully tell you the devastation that has happened here and all surrounding areas. Pix and news don't tell the whole story. 

[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear youre ok. Anyone hear from Jete? Those poor folks that lost their houses will have no Thanksgiving and Christmas at home. Wonder where they will go? It would be nice if someone could organize neighborhood holiday dinners in those areas, so that all those who lost thier homes in each neighborhood could have dinner with other friends in the same situation if they had no other place to go. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

My house in NH is OK, although I heard it was quite windy. I've been in Pittsburgh, where I've had 4 days of heavy rain & wind, but otherwise beyond some minor flooding  it's been OK.

Thx for asking, Exam.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I also went through  the 3 Florida hurricanes in 04. All I saw was a bit of gusty winds. Yet they knocked my power out for 8-5-3 days respectively. I think it might be time to bury power lines.

With that being said, the worst hurricane I went through was hurricane Andrew in 1992. That one knocked my power out for 29 days. Walked out doors in the eye. Dead calm. There is zero comparison between that experience and the 3 central Florida hurricanes. My marble floor in my apartment tickled my bare feet because of the winds vibrating the two story cinder block building. The 160-200 MPH winds sounded just like your own hum would sound sustained, with the gusts sounding like your own roar does if you pretended to be a lion. It was only scary the 20 minutes before and after the eye. My brothers trailer had every wall knocked down so that all that was left was the floor. Interestingly, the trailers facing into the wind held up  a bit better. Just like a boat would facing a big wave. I will never forget those 40 minutes.

Anyway, sorry for those suffering. Get some ice and you will get used to the situation. The first few days are the worst.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also went through  the 3 Florida hurricanes in 04. All I saw was a bit of gusty winds. Yet they knocked my power out for 8-5-3 days respectively. I think it might be time to bury power lines.

With that being said, the worst hurricane I went through was hurricane Andrew in 1992. That one knocked my power out for 29 days. Walked out doors in the eye. Dead calm. There is zero comparison between that experience and the 3 central Florida hurricanes. My marble floor in my apartment tickled my bare feet because of the winds vibrating the two story cinder block building. The 160-200 MPH winds sounded just like your own hum would sound sustained, with the gusts sounding like your own roar does if you pretended to be a lion. It was only scary the 20 minutes before and after the eye. My brothers trailer had every wall knocked down so that all that was left was the floor. Interestingly, the trailers facing into the wind held up  a bit better. Just like a boat would facing a big wave. I will never forget those 40 minutes.

Anyway, sorry for those suffering. Get some ice and you will get used to the situation. The first few days are the worst.

[/QUOTE]

Yip. I know that sound.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I lost power for 5 days....went and stayed with my parents as they have a generator.  It was really nice spending time with them.  I feel so bad for everyone along the shore.  I have a few friends who have lost their house.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Glad everyone is safe,  thankful it wasn't worse in CT. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost so much. Stay strong NY and NJ

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I waited an hour today for gas.  The gas station charged $5.25 for regular.  This was in White Plains, NY. 

What's worse, I had to wait in line with a bunch of NY Giant fans.  I should have worn my Tom Brady shirt today.  LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear youre ok. Anyone hear from Jete? Those poor folks that lost their houses will have no Thanksgiving and Christmas at home. Wonder where they will go? It would be nice if someone could organize neighborhood holiday dinners in those areas, so that all those who lost thier homes in each neighborhood could have dinner with other friends in the same situation if they had no other place to go. 

[/QUOTE]
    Examiner,
    Great post.  I feel so bad for residents of NY and New Jersey.  The situation is very sad and my prayers are with them.  I know that they had fundraisers, but this is where some of the wealthier professional athletes, actors and actresses need to help the effort.  Didn't some of them contribute a substantial amount of money when New Orleans experienced Hurricane Katrina? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Getting gas here in NY is like going to the DMV again.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would it be easier to come to CT, Ice? I know it somewhat defeats the purpose, but may save time, money and aggrevation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've been hearing from some friends that LOT of people are coming over the border and filling up in Greenwich CT, now they are worrying about gas shortages over the border here as well. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been hearing from some friends that LOT of people are coming over the border and filling up in Greenwich CT, now they are worrying about gas shortages over the border here as well. 

[/QUOTE]

Someone from NYC was arrested yesterday in Greenwich, for filling up several gallon drums, to transport back. What is ironic, the gas has dropped 35 cents a gallon in some parts of Ct, due to less demand, with less driving.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would it be easier to come to CT, Ice? I know it somewhat defeats the purpose, but may save time, money and aggrevation.

[/QUOTE]

Hello J-Bay, long time no see.   :)

I went to Greenwich once to fill up gas.  The line is shorter (30 to 45 minutes).  

Many people from NYC and the Bronx are coming to Westchester (Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, Port Chester, etc.) to fill up gas.  So the lines are like the DMV.  LOL

I hope you and your family are safe and sound from the hurricane.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hello J-Bay, long time no see.   :)

I went to Greenwich once to fill up gas.  The line is shorter (30 to 45 minutes).  

Many people from NYC and the Bronx are coming to Westchester (Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, Port Chester, etc.) to fill up gas.  So the lines are like the DMV.  LOL

I hope you and your family are safe and sound from the hurricane.  :)

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the dispositions are, as well,;) We are ice, thanks for asking. Few went without power for several days, but compared to what others are going through, hard to complain.

Sections
Shortcuts