Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

The roster fit is a bit awkward, but Ryan Lavarnway is the absolute real deal and the Major Leagues is where he should be staying.  A patient hitter with tremendous power and is likely one of the smartest players in the Major Leagues (attended Yale).  I want to see this guy in the long-term plans of the Red Sox, but that may require some finagling with Salty and Ortiz.  We shall see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

I agree. Let's find a way to get this guy on the playoff roster, maybe in Matsuzaka's slot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

If only Lavarnway could learn 3B... Him and Youk could split time between 3B and DH next season while letting Ortiz walk.  Hey, he went to Yale so he's definitely smart enough to figure it out!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]I agree. Let's find a way to get this guy on the playoff roster, maybe in Matsuzaka's slot.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If only Lavarnway could play LF vs LHPs...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]4 games against the Royals is all anyone needs to see before they begin making long term plans.
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2[/QUOTE]

Look at Montero, who has been handed the Yanks catcher slot for years and he can't even beat out Posada this year. Lavarnway has been the 2 time Redsox offensive minor league player of the year for the Sox and this year he will be again. He led the NCAA in hitting also. He's 24 years old now. What does he have to do to show that he can hit? Hello?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Stephen Hawking could figure it out but I wouldn't want him playing 3rd :)  The whole 3rd base thing is something that defiantly needs addressing in the offseason.  Between injury's and shrinking range the shelf life on Youk is about to expire.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Soc fan have the right to look forward t what their prospects might do. That is why they are Sox fans. Is that a crime?
    Here are a link to what to look forward to down the road.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/813939-boston-red-sox-5-prospects-worth-getting-excited-about#/articles/813939-boston-red-sox-5-prospects-worth-getting-excited-about

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Wait, what?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

He can be added to the playoff roster if he takes a guy's place who is on the DL. I'd like to see his bat be available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Look at Montero, who has been handed the Yanks catcher slot for years and he can't even beat out Posada this year. Lavarnway has been the 2 time Redsox offensive minor league player of the year for the Sox and this year he will be again. He led the NCAA in hitting also. He's 24 years old now. What does he have to do to show that he can hit? Hello?
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]
    Handed the catching spot for the Yanks for the last 2 years?  What are you talking about??  The kid is 21 years old, I'm not knocking Lavarnway who is 2 years older than Montero.....I was just saying to the fanboy that it is a bit early to be making long term plans after 4 games against KC.  The fanboy often makes bold statements that come back to bite him, he lets his emotions get the best of him and he doesn't have a lot of knowledge of the game....hes young.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]If only Lavarnway could learn 3B... Him and Youk could split time between 3B and DH next season while letting Ortiz walk.  Hey, he went to Yale so he's definitely smart enough to figure it out!

Kids in t-ball can figure it out, so I don't how much a Yale education factors into anything, if he doesn't have some natural ability no matter how much be practices or how smart  he is will matter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Another columnist who is high on Lavarnway.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view/2011_0821will_well_on_way_to_bigs_middlebrooks_on_minors_roll/srvc=sports&position=recent_bullet

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Handed the catching spot for the Yanks for the last 2 years?  What are you talking about??  The kid is 21 years old, I'm not knocking Lavarnway who is 2 years older than Montero.....I was just saying to the fanboy that it is a bit early to be making long term plans after 4 games against KC.  The fanboy often makes bold statements that come back to bite him, he lets his emotions get the best of him and he doesn't have a lot of knowledge of the game....hes young.
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2[/QUOTE]

At the end of the day, Lavarnway is the better prospect right now.  The stats don't lie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]If only Lavarnway could play LF vs LHPs...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Hey now there's an idea.  He seems like he moves okay for his size.  Perhaps they can consider that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]The roster fit is a bit awkward, but Ryan Lavarnway is the absolute real deal and the Major Leagues is where he should be staying.  A patient hitter with tremendous power and is likely one of the smartest players in the Major Leagues (attended Yale).  I want to see this guy in the long-term plans of the Red Sox, but that may require some finagling with Salty and Ortiz.  We shall see.

You, me and many others agree SoxPat.  Only a select few posters thought Ryan wasn't ready to hit major league pitching. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

he will prove too good to keep out of the lineup. we need all teh help we can get. once he acclamates, he will be better thna he is now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : You, me and many others agree SoxPat.  Only a select few posters thought Ryan wasn't ready to hit major league pitching. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

He has hit at every level.  Until he proves otherwise, he belongs in the Bigs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : He has hit at every level.  Until he proves otherwise, he belongs in the Bigs.

Agreed, whether Ryan eventually becomes Papi's replacement or Teks I think his offense will speak for itself.  The rest will come through a strong work ethic and from what people say that shouldn't be an issue.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : At the end of the day, Lavarnway is the better prospect right now.  The stats don't lie.

So you say.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : He has hit at every level.  Until he proves otherwise, he belongs in the Bigs.

5-11 so far - not a bad start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

guys, does there always need to be a comp?....he'll make it on his own merits, not gonna dump on a guy i know nothing about because of laundry...Mikey and SPC, neither of them is affecting the others' future...maybe it's just me but more people should be happy to see kids make it... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

Yalies are not always so smart. My third ex was a Yalie and she left me--how smart can that be??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Didn't I read somewhere that he played OF at Yale?  If that's the case, get him out there shagging flies right away!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Didn't I read somewhere that he played OF at Yale?  If that's the case, get him out there shagging flies right away!
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere he didn't start catching until his senior year when the starting catcher went down to injury.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Yalies are not always so smart. My third ex was a Yalie and she left me--how smart can that be??
    Posted by ronho[/QUOTE]

Didn't "W" attend Yale???

Sections
Shortcuts