Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : That's what I meant by "at least for now". The sophomore jinx is a cliche for a reason.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

exactly..I like prospects, but im also realistic about them..Until your able to make the adjustments at the MLB level........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : exactly..I like prospects, but im also realistic about them..Until your able to make the adjustments at the MLB level........
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I don't know how far back you go, but here's a few flashes in the pan:

Marv Throneberry, Duke Carmel, Steve Whitaker, Danny Walton, Joe Charboneau (ROY '80, done 2 yrs later), Joe Lefebvre, Kevin Maas, Shane Spencer (his first month was ridiculous) .. are a few.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : I don't know how far back you go, but here's a few flashes in the pan: Marv Throneberry, Duke Carmel, Steve Whitaker, Danny Walton, Joe Charboneau (ROY '80, done 2 yrs later), Joe Lefebvre, Kevin Maas, Shane Spencer (his first month was ridiculous) .. are a few.

Not sure what your getting at steve..I never said he was a sure thing or a bust..I realize there have been countless flashes in the pan over the years..trying to figure out why your associating lavarnway with said flashes in the pan players...hes only had a handful of MLB AB's..From what ive seen of him throughout his ML career and his small MLB sample size, its encouraging..thats all..nothing more, nothing less..I think Im pretty realistic when it comes to prospects...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]This thread should serve as a cautionary tale as to what happens when you say something too positive about a Sox player on Red Sox: On the Front Burner. The Yankee jackals who rule this board are all over it. Unreal posters still think that, not only is this cool here, but it's normal for a team's board. It's not.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

That's a great point.  This is a Red Sox forum yet Yankee fans can't handle when a Sox poster speaks highly of a player.  Pretty pathetic (that's directed at Mikey, mfymfy, Babe)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Here ya go, note the 1 full month gap between 11/7 and 12/7, all from link: http://www.boston.com/community/persona.html?plckPersonaPage=PersonaComments&plckUserId=862c62380273033ac029cfbfc17e2da0&UID=862c62380273033ac029cfbfc17e2da0&plckCurrentPage=316 Forum Post:  Re: What is Pittsburgh's Problem???   at 12/7/2009 7:28 PM EST I don't know.  All i can say is that they have the biggest c*ckiest D'bag in sports in Hines Ward.   Discussion Post:  Hey Kraft, how bout less money toward "Patriot Place" and more money toward payroll.   at 12/7/2009 7:23 PM EST 20th in payroll for a team that is arguably 4 defensive upgrades away from being the best team in the NFL is inexcusable.   Discussion Post:  Why not move Youkilis to 3rd and Lowell to 1st?   at 12/7/2009 7:16 PM EST I read this as a possibility the other day and i don't see why the Sox don't do this.  (assuming they don't acquire a big 1B bat)   Forum Post:  Re: IT DID NOT TAKE LONG.......   at 11/7/2009 12:50 PM EST Maybe he'll start showering in the 8th inning next year...   Forum Post:  Re: The Rays had a payroll one quarter the size of yours!! Didn't hear any this whining then.   at 11/6/2009 9:58 PM EST In Response to Re: The Rays had a payroll one quarter the size of yours!! Didn't hear any this whining then. : Whatever, i just wanted to stir something up.   Forum Post:  Re: The Rays had a payroll one quarter the size of yours!! Didn't hear any this whining then.   at 11/6/2009 9:42 PM EST In Response to Re: The Rays had a payroll one quarter the size of yours!! Didn't hear any this whining then. : You love getting hammered by dudes don't you.    Forum Post:  Re: The Philadelphia Phillies WILL win the World Series   at 10/28/2009 11:08 PM EDT The second coming of Notradamas is back again with his thoughts on game 1!  Without looking at lineups and just at the way these two teams have played thus far, the Phillies are the better team.  I'm not even trying to pick this apart too much but look at the way their players act on the field.  They look calm, cool, experienced; as if they know they are going to win this series.  They act like the better team. After the Phillies wrap this thing up (which they will of course), expect this team to be good for years to come.  This team has dynasty written all over them.

The Fanboy likes to make bold statements and in his little mind 5 for 11 means the world. He needs this really really really badly and again he loves to make bold statements even though many that he makes do not come true.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

So, Sox fans cant get excited about Lavarnaway but Yankee fans can give Granderson and his horrible batting average the MVP for the AL in mid August?
    Sox bad, Yankees good.
    Drivel.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]So, Sox fans cant get excited about Lavarnaway but Yankee fans can give Granderson and his horrible batting average the MVP for the AL in mid August? Sox bad, Yankees good. Drivel.
    Posted by habsno17[/QUOTE]

Thats not what we are talking about....we are discussing how quickly the fanboy goes over the top and how often he is wrong. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Not sure what your getting at steve..I never said he was a sure thing or a bust..I realize there have been countless flashes in the pan over the years..trying to figure out why your associating lavarnway with said flashes in the pan players...hes only had a handful of MLB AB's..From what ive seen of him throughout his ML career and his small MLB sample size, its encouraging..thats all..nothing more, nothing less..I think Im pretty realistic when it comes to prospects...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean it that way. He could be a superstar for all I know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : You're kidding, right? I've seen you start entire threads on this topic when posters have been gone a few days . Nice spin. And no, you've had no other gaps like this. Nice spin.

The fanboy just lies when he feels cornered.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

Re: The Philadelphia Phillies WILL win the World Series

posted at 10/21/2009 8:26 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=862c62380273033ac029cfbfc17e2da0&plckUserId=862c62380273033ac029cfbfc17e2da0">
    First: 4/11/2009
    Last: 8/22/2011

In Response to Re: The Philadelphia Phillies WILL win the World Series:

Red Sox fan hoping, praying, pleading.....the Yankees don't win because then its all over... all of it... Red Sox fan getting kind of pathetic
    Posted by massillon8

I'm not hoping, praying or pleading... im gauranteeing. Just remember that. I'm a little confused about the whole "because then its all over... all of it"

What's all over?

It doesn't matter because the Phillies will win the World Series. There's not a doubt in my mind and it WILL happen. Just remember this post when all is said and done.

Its all over for Lavarnway, he has received the kiss of death from the fanboy....he should just go become a mailman or something.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Thats not what we are talking about....we are discussing how quickly the fanboy goes over the top and how often he is wrong. 
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I am talking about too. Granderson to win the MVP in mid August isnt going over the top? Only difference is in this thread you are ripping the OP and in the Granderson thread you are supporting him.
    I know, I know
    Sox bad, Yankees good,.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Exactly what I am talking about too. Granderson to win the MVP in mid August isnt going over the top? Only difference is in this thread you are ripping the OP and in the Granderson thread you are supporting him. I know, I know Sox bad, Yankees good,.

I don't get why some of these posters don't go and post on say, The New York Post's website?  The YES Network website?  Maybe the NY Times?  They can't handle when Sox fans speak highly of one of their own players even though this is the Boston Globe's website.  It really is laughable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Exactly what I am talking about too. Granderson to win the MVP in mid August isnt going over the top? Only difference is in this thread you are ripping the OP and in the Granderson thread you are supporting him. I know, I know Sox bad, Yankees good,.
    I didn't say that Granderson should win the MVP based on his mid-august stats.  There is a long way to go....maybe AGon can find his power again...maybe not, maybe Bautista will win the award, I don't know what will happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : How did I lie just there.  I went a month without posting in the OFFSEASON.  Your'e the one that flooded this forum when the Sox started 2-9 and then once the Sox claimed first you vanished.  Now all of a sudden you are posting more than ever which all started like a week ago?  Give me a break.  You're a clown and everyone on this forum knows it.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

That is your act and we all know it.  When the Sox win SPC is here, when the Sox lose....SPC posts at 3 am and vanishes or you simply go AWOL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : You, me and many others agree SoxPat.  Only a select few posters thought Ryan wasn't ready to hit major league pitching. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I have yet to see him get good wood on the ball. The doulle off the wall was not hit that well, otherwise it would have been about 15 rows back as big as this kid is.
    His other hits have been bloopers at best.
    I'd like to see what he can do behind the plate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : And yet you supported the OP in that thread, but lay into the OP here. Double standard, just admit it. Sox bad, Yankees good.
    Posted by mikzor[/QUOTE]

As you and the fanboy go...logic bad, spin good.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready :   GOOD POST.... THEO AND I WERE JUST WAITING FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO BRING HIM UP AND GET HIM IN THE LINE-UP..... NEXT YEARS  D H  !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Think about the money Lavarnway could save management if he became the Sox DH next season "plus" back up catcher to Salty when needed even though we could bring Tek back if they really wanted.  Not only would we have the money to retain Pap but also have the likes of Drew, Cameron and Scutaro off the books when Adrians new salary takes affect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]The roster fit is a bit awkward, but Ryan Lavarnway is the absolute real deal and the Major Leagues is where he should be staying.  A patient hitter with tremendous power and is likely one of the smartest players in the Major Leagues (attended Yale).  I want to see this guy in the long-term plans of the Red Sox, but that may require some finagling with Salty and Ortiz.  We shall see.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Yeah, from I have seen I love the guy. Someone was mentioning on the air that his swing needs to be shortened, but I disagree. For a home run hitting, which we desperately need, it's pretty compact already. But sorry, the fact that he went to Yale doesn't add much. Baseball is a game of instinct, not intellect. I look forward to seeing what he has behind the plate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Proceed easy with Lavarnway.     He's only seen a few games.     Small sample size.   Too early to jump the gun and over hype him.    Every hitter has weaknesses and pitchers will eventually find his.      See how he does over months before passing judgement.  He seems to be on the right track.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Proceed easy with Lavarnway.     He's only seen a few games.     Small sample size.   Too early to jump the gun and over hype him.    Every hitter has weaknesses and pitchers will eventually find his.      See how he does over months before passing judgement.  He seems to be on the right track.    
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]

There has yet to be pitching at any level the kid hasn't figured out enough to succeed.  A good pitcher may see a weakness, but every good hitter has the ability to adjust.

Two things really stood out for me watching Ryan yesterday.  In one AB he swung very badly at a breaking ball that sunk out of the strike zone.  The very next pitch he laid off the same pitch and just watched it sink for a ball, even though he did SO once on a very bad judgement. 

The second thing I was really impressed with is how many pitches he fouled off before eventually flying out in one appearance.  He shows a great deal of plate discipline for a youngster and ability to adjust quickly.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Proceed easy with Lavarnway.     He's only seen a few games.     Small sample size.   Too early to jump the gun and over hype him.    Every hitter has weaknesses and pitchers will eventually find his.      See how he does over months before passing judgement.  He seems to be on the right track.    
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. A voice of reason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : I have yet to see him get good wood on the ball. The doulle off the wall was not hit that well, otherwise it would have been about 15 rows back as big as this kid is. His other hits have been bloopers at best. I'd like to see what he can do behind the plate.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

um, yeah.  http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=18285729
    the ball he hit down the line Sat night was scalded and only reason it wasn't an RBI double is that Moustakas is a stud 3B.

way to (try to) turn a positive into a negative.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Certainly is off to a good start, good for him and good for the team. Let's hope he keeps it up until Youk and Papi can get back.

Sections
Shortcuts