Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

W also has an MBA from Harvard, and flew jet fighters. Yeah, must've been a dope......
    Anyway, I really like Lavarnway. His approach seems the same as it was in Pawtucket.
    Keeps calm and has good plate discipline.
    Plus, he's a moose. In the old days, they'd give him a first baseman's mitt, but that won't work here.
    It should be interesting to see how this develops.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Lavarway could end up being our Bob Montgomery as a second catcher with some pop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

very dissapointed greetings boomer

Look at Montero, who has been handed the Yanks catcher slot for years and he can't even beat out Posada this year. Lavarnway has been the 2 time Redsox offensive minor league player of the year for the Sox and this year he will be again. He led the NCAA in hitting also. He's 24 years old now. What does he have to do to show that he can hit? Hello?
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I figured only SPC would actually knock a 21 yr old

for not making the first place yankees

why should he be here if he's not going to play everyday

our offense isn't all that bad without him

as far as lav goes

he's a big kid that looks like maybe he can hit

but  that's all we know so far

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

This kid will outhit Bob Montgomery.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]Lavarway could end up being our Bob Montgomery as a second catcher with some pop.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

How exciting.  Why not aim higher, like Mirabelli?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, maybe the next Bob Tillman? Or Tom Satriano. Or Gary Allenson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Didn't "W" attend Yale???
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

2 of my 5 sisters went to Yale. One was there for 2 years of GW. Her memories of him are not flattering to say the least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]very dissapointed greetings boomer   Look at Montero, who has been handed the Yanks catcher slot for years and he can't even beat out Posada this year. Lavarnway has been the 2 time Redsox offensive minor league player of the year for the Sox and this year he will be again. He led the NCAA in hitting also. He's 24 years old now. What does he have to do to show that he can hit? Hello? Posted by Boomerangsdotcom I figured only SPC would actually knock a 21 yr old for not making the first place yankees why should he be here if he's not going to play everyday our offense isn't all that bad without him as far as lav goes he's a big kid that looks like maybe he can hit but  that's all we know so far
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

I've never knocked Montero for not making the Yankees.  All I'm saying is that based on stats, Lavarnway has been the better catcher. 

You kind of have a double standard here... 

You use Montero's age as the excuse for why he's not on the Big League roster and for why he's not putting up big stats but,

Lavarnway is a big kid that looks like maybe he can hit

Last time I checked, Montero has rather unimpressive stats and has shown no evidence that he's going to break out.  You can say he's 21 all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that his stats aren't living up to the hype.

Last time I checked, Lavarnway has been getting better and better, hit 30 HR and drove in 85 runs in the minors, and has earned a spot on the big league roster.

why should he be here if he's not going to play everyday our offense isn't all that bad without

That may be part of it, but I think he's not there everyday simply because he hasn't proven that he deserves to be there everyday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]More BS about Bush.  Fine he was a bad President. Still went to Yale, Harvard and was successful businessman BEFORE politics. How about you?
    Posted by NegativeTrollsAbound[/QUOTE]

We've got another bad Ivy League President now from both Columbia and Harvard....what he did before....taught some classes and not much else.  Now hes President....look how much upward mobility a friendly press corps can bring!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Look at Montero, who has been handed the Yanks catcher slot for years and he can't even beat out Posada this year. Lavarnway has been the 2 time Redsox offensive minor league player of the year for the Sox and this year he will be again. He led the NCAA in hitting also. He's 24 years old now. What does he have to do to show that he can hit? Hello?
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boomer,

Are you saying he was handed the catchers spot for this year or he has caught for the Yankees before this, because he's not been on the roster in either 2009 or 2010 that I can find.

Hetchinspete.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I've never knocked Montero for not making the Yankees.

yes you did............the otherday

All I'm saying is that based on stats, Lavarnway has been the better catcher.

You kind of have a double standard here...

You use Montero's age as the excuse for why he's not on the Big League roster and for why he's not putting up big stats but,

Lavarnway is a big kid that looks like maybe he can hit

Last time I checked, Montero has rather unimpressive stats and has shown no evidence that he's going to break out. You can say he's 21 all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that his stats aren't living up to the hype.

Last time I checked, Lavarnway has been getting better and better, hit 30 HR and drove in 85 runs in the minors, and has earned a spot on the big league roster.

my post to boomer had nothing to do with lav

I already posted the otherday that lava clearly had the better  yr

and if you compare there yrs at 20 yr old they are pretty close

with the only difference was that lav was in A ball and montero was in AAA

you rank players by using  small windows and fail often

''why should he be here if he's not going to play everyday our offense isn't all that bad without''

That may be part of it, but I think he's not there everyday simply because he hasn't proven that he deserves to be there everyday.

no

it's because they don't  need him

and the sox needed a bat for this w.e.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Lavarnay looked good.  He could have been in a funk after leaving the bases loaded twice, but kept trying, and came up big for the Sox.  But honestly, where do you put him?   Papi will be back.   He is not going to catch in the bigs this year.  So he will pinch hit, and maybe spell Papi if needed.   

Too bad he can't stand in left like Gonzo did and just throw the ball back in LOL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

[QUOTE]Stephen Hawking could figure it out but I wouldn't want him playing 3rd :)  The whole 3rd base thing is something that defiantly needs addressing in the offseason.  Between injury's and shrinking range the shelf life on Youk is about to expire.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about a guy named Will Middlebrook at 3b!
    Hell, Theo had the guts to trade Nomar, maybe he would have the guts to trade Youk?  (That would really take a lot of guts!!  And, a very big return would be necessary to prevent a lynching in Boston Common!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]I've never knocked Montero for not making the Yankees.   yes you did............the otherday All I'm saying is that based on stats , Lavarnway has been the better catcher. You kind of have a double standard here... You use Montero's age as the excuse for why he's not on the Big League roster and for why he's not putting up big stats but, Lavarnway is a big kid that looks like maybe he can hit Last time I checked, Montero has rather unimpressive stats and has shown no evidence that he's going to break out. You can say he's 21 all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that his stats aren't living up to the hype. Last time I checked, Lavarnway has been getting better and better, hit 30 HR and drove in 85 runs in the minors, and has earned a spot on the big league roster. my post to boomer had nothing to do with lav I already posted the otherday that lava clearly had the better  yr and if you compare there yrs at 20 yr old they are pretty close with the only difference was that lav was in A ball and montero was in AAA you rank players by using  small windows and fail often ''why should he be here if he's not going to play everyday our offense isn't all that bad without'' That may be part of it, but I think he's not there everyday simply because he hasn't proven that he deserves to be there everyday. no it's because they don't  need him and the sox needed a bat for this w.e.
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

No, I never knocked Montero for not making the Yankees because I assumed that he'd be a September callup at best this season unless his bat went crazy.  Then again, there were rumors in spring training that he has a shot to make the big league club.

He's not there every day because he hasn't deserved to be there.  It's plain and simple.  If he was Major League ready, then he'd be up... especially with Posada's struggles.

How am I ranking these guys in a small window?  The window I'm using is based off of simple stats... and there was a large window between Lavarnway's stats and Montero's stats this season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

To paraphrase the big tuna, let's not put him in Cooperstown yet. Still Lavarnaway looks like a fine hitter who needs to learn the C position a little better. I would think that Tek has proven he can be the backup for another year. Maybe Gary Tuck could spend some time in Pawtucket working with Ryan. I really like his potential. I've liked big rangy catchers since Fisk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : No, I never knocked Montero for not making the Yankees because I assumed that he'd be a September callup at best this season unless his bat went crazy.  Then again, there were rumors in spring training that he has a shot to make the big league club. He's not there every day because he hasn't deserved to be there.  It's plain and simple.  If he was Major League ready, then he'd be up... especially with Posada's struggles. How am I ranking these guys in a small window?  The window I'm using is based off of simple stats... and there was a large window between Lavarnway's stats and Montero's stats this season. 
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]
    How far away from the bigs was Lavarnway at Montero's age?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Considering the hype that SPC et al have piled on this poor kid in just a week, anything less than the Triple Crown this year will be a disappointment. Well, we're all watching so let's see what he's got.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]To paraphrase the big tuna, let's not put him in Cooperstown yet. Still Lavarnaway looks like a fine hitter who needs to learn the C position a little better. I would think that Tek has proven he can be the backup for another year. Maybe Gary Tuck could spend some time in Pawtucket working with Ryan. I really like his potential. I've liked big rangy catchers since Fisk.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

That bat can't stay in Pawtucket.  He's Major League ready. 

I like Moon's idea.  Teach him the OF, especially if he started there in college.

Here are the options:

A.  Trade him due to lack of fit on the roster- big mistake at this point.
    B.  Keep him in Pawtucket to start next season to groom his catching skills.  This idea may lead to the biggest payout down the road if he's able to turn into a good fielding catcher and gamecaller.  Still, his bat is Major League ready.
    C.  Let Ortiz walk and keep him as the primary DH and 3rd string catcher- Very risky but could also pay off if he's able to put up similar stats.  Still, it's very risky and could backfire if he goes through a sophomore slump.
    D.  Teach him the OF and consider him for the starting job next season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : How far away from the bigs was Lavarnway at Montero's age?
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2[/QUOTE]

Let's reverse it and use an example from the Red Sox.  How close to the bigs was Lars Anderson at Montero's age?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Considering the hype that SPC et al have piled on this poor kid in just a week, anything less than the Triple Crown this year will be a disappointment. Well, we're all watching so let's see what he's got.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

What hype?  He's a Major League ready player.  I didn't say anything about awards and records being broken.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]Considering the hype that SPC et al have piled on this poor kid in just a week, anything less than the Triple Crown this year will be a disappointment. Well, we're all watching so let's see what he's got.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

I KNOW!! SPC has turned this kid into the most awesome prospect in baseball!! How many times has he said "he's major league ready"  SPC hes a kid...just like you only he has some athletic ability but you don't know how major league ready he is yet or if he is....give it time killer.  SPC knows after 4 games with the Royals how good this kid is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I like his approach at the plate and tend to agree with the OP.  However, a very small sample to date. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : I KNOW!! SPC has turned this kid into the most awesome prospect in baseball!! How many times has he said "he's major league ready"  SPC hes a kid...just like you only he has some athletic ability but you don't know how major league ready he is yet or if he is....give it time killer.  SPC knows after 4 games with the Royals how good this kid is.
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2[/QUOTE]

Lord, please forgive SPC for being a Homer Red Sox fan.
    Thank you for Mikey for preaching to him for being VAIN
    Next Episode of the SPC -Mikey Show is tomorrow
    Stay tuned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : That bat can't stay in Pawtucket.  He's Major League ready.  I like Moon's idea.  Teach him the OF, especially if he started there in college. Here are the options: A.  Trade him due to lack of fit on the roster- big mistake at this point. B.  Keep him in Pawtucket to start next season to groom his catching skills.  This idea may lead to the biggest payout down the road if he's able to turn into a good fielding catcher and gamecaller.  Still, his bat is Major League ready. C.  Let Ortiz walk and keep him as the primary DH and 3rd string catcher- Very risky but could also pay off if he's able to put up similar stats.  Still, it's very risky and could backfire if he goes through a sophomore slump. D.  Teach him the OF and consider him for the starting job next season.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]No way can you let Papi walk. I mean it's Big Papi, the guy with 4 or 5 of the biggest hits in Red Sox history. Would you really like to see the Red Sox coming into Yankee Stadium with Big Papi aiming for that short porch in RF for the other side? And he's still got it, which I've been saying all along. Plus David Ortiz is the face of the Boston Red Sox. Letting Ortiz go would be a bad baseball decision and a bad business decision. Trading Youk would be a better idea than letting Senor Octubre go to free agency. I think the ticket with Ryan Lavarnaway is some intensive work with Gary Tuck, the guy's only been catching full time for like waht, 5 years? If he works out at catcher then there's a trade to be made that should net a pretty nice starting pitcher. Not that many teams have strong catchers who can hit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : What hype?  He's a Major League ready player.  I didn't say anything about awards and records being broken.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

At 21 Anderson was in AA, whats your point?