Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : No way can you let Papi walk. I mean it's Big Papi, the guy with 4 or 5 of the biggest hits in Red Sox history. Would you really like to see the Red Sox coming into Yankee Stadium with Big Papi aiming for that short porch in RF for the other side? And he's still got it, which I've been saying all along. Plus David Ortiz is the face of the Boston Red Sox. Letting Ortiz go would be a bad baseball decision and a bad business decision. Trading Youk would be a better idea than letting Senor Octubre go to free agency. I think the ticket with Ryan Lavarnaway is some intensive work with Gary Tuck, the guy's only been catching full time for like waht, 5 years? If he works out at catcher then there's a trade to be made that should net a pretty nice starting pitcher. Not that many teams have strong catchers who can hit.
    Posted by carnie

I hear ya, but as of right now there's no guarnatee that Ortiz will be back.  Trading Youk would be an awful idea because Will Middlebrooks is not yet ready.

Another option would be letting Salty walk, but that would also be a mistake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : No way can you let Papi walk. I mean it's Big Papi, the guy with 4 or 5 of the biggest hits in Red Sox history. Would you really like to see the Red Sox coming into Yankee Stadium with Big Papi aiming for that short porch in RF for the other side? And he's still got it, which I've been saying all along. Plus David Ortiz is the face of the Boston Red Sox. Letting Ortiz go would be a bad baseball decision and a bad business decision. Trading Youk would be a better idea than letting Senor Octubre go to free agency. I think the ticket with Ryan Lavarnaway is some intensive work with Gary Tuck, the guy's only been catching full time for like waht, 5 years? If he works out at catcher then there's a trade to be made that should net a pretty nice starting pitcher. Not that many teams have strong catchers who can hit.
    Posted by carnie

Trading Youk?!?  I respect your opinion. But wow.

While we are at it, let's trade Tom Brady and replace him with Brett Farve. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

No, I never knocked Montero for not making the Yankees

yeah you did

because I assumed that he'd be a September callup at best this season unless his bat went crazy. Then again, there were rumors in spring training that he has a shot to make the big league club.

yeah he did, I'm guessing that's what boomer meant

He's not there every day because he hasn't deserved to be there. It's plain and simple. If he was Major League ready, then he'd be up... especially with Posada's struggles.

they don't need him

people in yankeeland are quite happy with martin

and posada is no longwer a catcher and  has nothing to do with montero

How am I ranking these guys in a small window? The window I'm using is based off of simple stats...

you do it all the time

after a couple of months we had

''the great '' reddick

he is doing what in the 2nd 1/2

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=reddijo01&year=2011&t=b#half

how bout  this guy being so much better than jeter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

My point was that trying to replace Big Papi's bat is a bad idea. Ryan Lavarnaway is a very nice hitter, but he's no David Ortiz. I like Lavarnaway a lot as a catcher, especially if he can make defensive progress under Tuck. If he works out the way I think he might then Salty is trade bait in a year, and maybe he can net a pitcher like the one many people here were calling for the RS to give up for him a couple of years ago. David Ortiz wants to come back, and I think he's earned the right, not only to retire with the Red Sox, but to have his number enshrined with Yaz, Teddy Ballgame, Jim Rice ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Why do Red Sox fans need to defend being Red Sox fanatics / Homers in their forum? I don't get it. We hope that Lavarnway does well. He looks good so far with 5-11. End of story. Stop the childish bickering. If Yank fans feel like debating or venting then go to a Yankee forum and discuss Girardi and Burnett , that should be much more interesting than small stuff such as a Red Sox prospect. Harness wants this bickering to stop on his forum. A word to the wise should be sufficient or else a late night phone call to BDC Dottie will be forthcoming.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

To paraphrase the big tuna, let's not put him in Cooperstown yet. Still Lavarnaway looks like a fine hitter who needs to learn the C position a little better. I would think that Tek has proven he can be the backup for another year. Maybe Gary Tuck could spend some time in Pawtucket working with Ryan. I really like his potential. I've liked big rangy catchers since Fisk.
    Posted by carnie

Or to paraphrase Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction, "Let's not start (blanking) each other's (blanks) just yet."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

No, I never knocked Montero for not making the Yankees   yeah you did because I assumed that he'd be a September callup at best this season unless his bat went crazy. Then again, there were rumors in spring training that he has a shot to make the big league club. yeah he did, I'm guessing that's what boomer meant He's not there every day because he hasn't deserved to be there. It's plain and simple. If he was Major League ready, then he'd be up... especially with Posada's struggles. they don't need him people in yankeeland are quite happy with martin and posada is no longwer a catcher and  has nothing to do with montero How am I ranking these guys in a small window? The window I'm using is based off of simple stats... you do it all the time after a couple of months we had ''the great '' reddick he is doing what in the 2nd 1/2 http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=reddijo01&year=2011&t=b#half how bout  this guy being so much better than jeter
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Uhhh Posada has a lot to do with Montero.  Weren't you paying attention when rumors emerged about the Yankees bringing up Montero to DH?  Besides, isn't the general consensus that Montero is a future 1B/DH, not a catcher?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : How far away from the bigs was Lavarnway at Montero's age?
    Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2

Not really a fair comparison seeing as Lavarnway went to college

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Cater is also a huge Harvey Kietel fan. What a coincidence.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Uhhh Posada has a lot to do with Montero. Weren't you paying attention when rumors emerged about the Yankees bringing up Montero to DH? 

I repeat

they don't need him

they have other guys to DH on the team already

Besides, isn't the general consensus that Montero is a future 1B/DH, not a catcher?

you mean outside of RSN ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Uhhh Posada has a lot to do with Montero. Weren't you paying attention when rumors emerged about the Yankees bringing up Montero to DH?  I repeat they don't need him they have other guys to DH on the team already Besides, isn't the general consensus that Montero is a future 1B/DH, not a catcher? you mean outside of RSN ?
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Right... but it's very simple.  If he was Major League-ready, he'd be up in the Majors.  End of story.  You can't spin it any other way.

I've heard the Montero as 1B/DH through many media outlets over the past several months.  That has been the looming debate of the guy's future.  Either A.  You're ignoring those stories or B.  You don't take the time to look into that stuff.

The same can be said for Lavarnway.  Last I heard he was a much improved but average catcher.  His future may very well not be as catcher.

Why don't you open your eyes a bit more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

A Sox fan that is content over Lavarnway being 5-11 can't come here and gloat. What is wrong with Harness's forum. Too many posters here are bent on dividing it and ruining it for loyal Sox fans, Kim is right and has been right all along. The forum is reeking with closet Yankee fans who want to rain on the parade of Red sox fans. You think that it is bad on weekends? Try it on weekdays when Babe and Yazzer are ten times worse. The exodus out of this forum numbers in the thousands and Harness doesn't care as long as his fraternity is intact.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Where I'm coming from is I've been advocating Lavarnway for a couple years now as an underated prospect. Everyone thought that Montero was better. Everyone. Yankee fans in particular wouldn't even consider it. Of course Montero might still be a better prospect, but then again he may not. Even I didn't know but at this point I'm giving my edge to Lavarnway. Montero does not look like he will ever be a very good defensive catcher at all. Lavarnway looks like he has a small edge in that department plus his approach is solid. I think he's going to hit very well at the mlb level. He has consistently hit at every level.

Even Sox Prospects has been very reluctant to back Lavarnway. He was rated around 11 or 12 even going into this year after being their 2 time offensive player of the year. Even after a lot of controversial discussion, and after hitting .380 for 120 AAA AB, he was recently moved up to only #5. Even soxprospects has been behind the curve regarding Lavarnway IMO. Way behind.

The guy can hit. It's a very small sample but it looks to me from his numbers and his adjustment so far that it is pretty likely he has a solid mlb bat. His defense must be God Awful to not be rated higher as a prospect because the guy has put up tremendous numbers and look at the respect he has been getting from mlb level pitchers already.

Zac - I've been agreeing with most Yankee fans about Montero as being more likely to be the better prospect overall due to his age but I've always thought Lavarnway was in the discussion. This year seems to be confirming that assessment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from )Show )

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : I KNOW!! SPC has turned this kid into the most awesome prospect in baseball!! How many times has he said "he's major league ready"  SPC hes a kid...just like you only he has some athletic ability but you don't know how major league ready he is yet or if he is....give it time killer.  SPC knows after 4 games with the Royals how good this kid is.

Posted by Mikeyinthebronx2

Well, once again, mongo the fanboy is experiencing premature ejaculation.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Right... but it's very simple.  If he was Major League-ready, he'd be up in the Majors.  End of story.  You can't spin it any other way. I've heard the Montero as 1B/DH through many media outlets over the past several months.  That has been the looming debate of the guy's future.  Either A.  You're ignoring those stories or B.  You don't take the time to look into that stuff. The same can be said for Lavarnway.  Last I heard he was a much improved but average catcher.  His future may very well not be as catcher. Why don't you open your eyes a bit more.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

This is not really a relevant issue for the Yankees; Burnett is; they feel compelled to pitch him due to their investment in him; they won't accept the fact that stuff isn't everything (recall Weaver), as well as the fact he flat out hopelessly stinks, and won't cut bait until the PS or next year. On another topic, you're disingenuine about your disappearances. You know it, and I know it; that is, unless you're in denial.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from )Show )

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : This is not really an issue for the Yankees; Burnett is; they feel compelled to pitch him due to their investment in him, and won't cut bait until the PS or next year. On another topic, you're disingenuine about your disappearances. You know it, and I know it; that is, unless you're in denial.

Posted by nhsteven

Well, as much as you and I don't see eye to eye, we both agree on this. mongo the fanboy is the biggest disappearing poster on here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : I read somewhere he didn't start catching until his senior year when the starting catcher went down to injury.
    Posted by craze4sox

Hey craze,
    Lavarnway started catching his sophmore year at Yale..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : This is not really a relevant issue for the Yankees; Burnett is; they feel compelled to pitch him due to their investment in him; they won't accept the fact that stuff isn't everything (recall Weaver), as well as the fact he flat out hopelessly stinks, and won't cut bait until the PS or next year. On another topic, you're disingenuine about your disappearances. You know it, and I know it; that is, unless you're in denial.
    Posted by nhsteven

It's getting old steven... it really is.  I'm always supporting the Red Sox through the ups and downs.  I'm optimistic yet also critical when I see reason to critic.  I'm one of the most realistic posters on this forum.  We all know the true disappearing acts (i.e. Mikey). 

Then you have guys like Babe who's the complete opposite of disappearing act.  He's the "Post 24/7 while doing nothing else with his time" act.  A homer in his own way that is NEVER critical of his own team and just comes here to bash the Red Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : It's getting old steven... it really is.  I'm always supporting the Red Sox through the ups and downs.  I'm optimistic yet also critical when I see reason to critic.  I'm one of the most realistic posters on this forum.  We all know the true disappearing acts (i.e. Mikey).  Then you have guys like Babe who's the complete opposite of disappearing act.  He's the "Post 24/7 while doing nothing else with his time" act.  A homer in his own way that is NEVER critical of his own team and just comes here to bash the Red Sox.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

They(Mikey and Babe) Do it because they like to get passionate sox fans, such as yourself, all heated up...Even if you were making perfect sense all the time, it wouldnt matter to them..They would find another angle to get under your skin..Thats what they do..If you keep the back and forth going with them, they win...
    as for Lavarnway..hes been MLB ready with the bat for a year now..defensivly, not so much..He could be very valuable..hes able to play 1b, c ,DH(obviously), and has played OF up to his sophmore year at Yale..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : This is not really a relevant issue for the Yankees; Burnett is; they feel compelled to pitch him due to their investment in him; they won't accept the fact that stuff isn't everything (recall Weaver), as well as the fact he flat out hopelessly stinks, and won't cut bait until the PS or next year. On another topic, you're disingenuine about your disappearances. You know it, and I know it; that is, unless you're in denial.
    Posted by nhsteven

I never said it was an issue.  I'm just being realistic by saying that if the guy was Major League-ready, he'd be in the Majors... but he's not.  This didn't stem from a debate between the Yankees and Red Sox issues right now.

I expect the Yankees to try and trade him while eating a majority of the contract.  There's only 2 years left on his deal.  Someone will give him a shot in a city that can support headcases.  Which is exactly what he is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Hey craze, Lavarnway started catching his sophmore year at Yale..
    Posted by southpaw777

Lavarnway is the real Yale man.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Lavarnway is the real Yale man.
    Posted by harness

Lavarnway looks real calm and relaxed in the box..like hes been there before..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Lavarnway looks real calm and relaxed in the box..like hes been there before..
    Posted by southpaw777

That's a good sign, at least for now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : That's a good sign, at least for now.
    Posted by nhsteven

He always looked comfortable in the box..Its behind the plate that needs to catch up a bit IMO..he could use 1 more year at AAA to work on the catching skills..It def is a good sign that he will hit MLB pitching..When ML pitchers have seen Lavarnway a few times and make their adjustment on him, thats when we will see if he is able to make those counter adjustments.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : He always looked comfortable in the box..Its behind the plate that needs to catch up a bit IMO..he could use 1 more year at AAA to work on the catching skills..It def is a good sign that he will hit MLB pitching..When ML pitchers have seen Lavarnway a few times and make their adjustment on him, thats when we will see if he is able to make those counter adjustments.
    Posted by southpaw777

That's what I meant by "at least for now". The sophomore jinx is a cliche for a reason.

Sections
Shortcuts