For Sale: Ellsbury and Drew

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: For Sale: Ellsbury and Drew

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Iglesias has proven himself, even if he returns to weak hitting like S. Drew.

Ellsbury has 5 steals that didn't produce a single run, but should infatuate some NL GM's.

Great time to sell these two soon departing players. Some GM will pay a substantial portion of S. Drew's remaining contract, and some GM will offer a solid prospect with proven upper level minor league numbers, for Ellsbury.

Ya know, you're probably right about Drew and Ellsbury, but how many times must you say it?  Please turn the page?  After all, we have bigger problems..like Eric Holder, for example.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you weren't so intent, over the last several years, to call them names and complain about their salaries this might have been one of a handful of good observations you've made about Drew and Ells.

Most of the contributors are so tired of reading your constant complaints they don't pay attention any more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ellsbury =draft pick.  No way we trade away an outfielder when we are thin in the outfield and we are in the playoff picture.  

be could be wrong, and I'm not all opposed to Ellsbury being used as trade bait, but I'm betting he stays on the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Sox are in first place, why not try to win now?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Wills, Brock, Henderson. Wonder how many games they stole multiple bases and didn't score a run. Lets be real. Maybe its the batters job, to bring them in.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

When Ellsbury is on and stealing he's disrupting the pitcher. I do believe that he did score the first Sox run last night. As long as he's hitting and he's trying his best, I got no complaints. The season is long and who knows if he ends up hitting .290 or .300. right now he's got 21 stolen bases and that's good enough for me. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ellsbury has 5 steals that didn't produce a single run, but should infatuate some NL GM's.

Great time to sell these two soon departing players. Some GM will pay a substantial portion of S. Drew's remaining contract, and some GM will offer a solid prospect with proven upper level minor league numbers, for Ellsbury.

First-place teams generally don't trade away their starting centerfielder and shortstop midseason.

Could you offer specific trade proposals that make sense on both (or all) sides?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I believe Drew is not yet tradeable.  Ellsbury might be, but the FO understands his value better than softlaw does.  He doesn't just help win games--forget the SB's and focus on that gamewinning double the other night--he helps bring fans back to Fenway.  The smart move right now is to keep both of them. 

softlaw keeps comparing Iglesias to Drew, but in fact the comparison should be to Middlebooks and his bad back.  Drew is disgustingly healthy and has yet to form that nasty habit of making errors that Middlebrooks seems to have embraces.  The smart move is to keep Middlebrooks at Pawtucket as long as Iglesias continues to thrive at 3B. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I believe Drew is not yet tradeable.  Ellsbury might be, but the FO understands his value better than softlaw does.  He doesn't just help win games--forget the SB's and focus on that gamewinning double the other night--he helps bring fans back to Fenway.  The smart move right now is to keep both of them. 

softlaw keeps comparing Iglesias to Drew, but in fact the comparison should be to Middlebooks and his bad back.  Drew is disgustingly healthy and has yet to form that nasty habit of making errors that Middlebrooks seems to have embraces.  The smart move is to keep Middlebrooks at Pawtucket as long as Iglesias continues to thrive at 3B. 

The UZR/150 rankings for the Red Sox this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=3&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ellsbury appears to have set or tied a record for most SB in one game without scoring.

The record for SB in a game by one player is 6, held by Eric Young, Otis Nixon and Carl Crawford (against Boston).  All 3 scored at least 3 runs.  Eddie Collins stole 6 twice in his career, but I have no data on his runs scored in those games.

The record for SB futilty in a game is held by the 2000 Marlins, who stole 10 bases in a game against the Padresand catcher Wiki Gonzalez.  Three SB from both Luis Castillo and Cliff Floyd plus 2 each from Mark Kotsay and Preston Wilson in a game in which the Fish scored 2 runs, both by Castillo.

Record? Probably.  But I am not so sure I would hold Ellsbury accountable...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Unless you expect Ells to steal home, then I have no idea how its his fault he didnt score. That honor would go to the guys hitting after him.

Iggy has done good at 3b, with minimal issues. But, its too small a sample size to think he isnt going to revert back to his sub 600 OPS.

Trading your CF and SS in favor of 2 unproven rookies who have failed in their prior attempts, in the middle of a would be pennant race right now is pretty much unheard of.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

ATTENTION ALL MLB OWNERS AND GM'S:  Ben Charrington is no longer calling the shots.  Softlaw is now conducting all Red Sox front office operations.  Please submit all offers for Jacoby Ellsbury and Stephen Drew through him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

First-place teams generally don't trade away their starting centerfielder and shortstop midseason.

Could you offer specific trade proposals that make sense on both (or all) sides?

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Unless you expect Ells to steal home, then I have no idea how its his fault he didnt score. That honor would go to the guys hitting after him.

Iggy has done good at 3b, with minimal issues. But, its too small a sample size to think he isnt going to revert back to his sub 600 OPS.

Trading your CF and SS in favor of 2 unproven rookies who have failed in their prior attempts, in the middle of a would be pennant race right now is pretty much unheard of.

Substitite "ridiculous", but only because the S word would probably be censored.   

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrylfries. Show darrylfries's posts

Good Idea if we give up on this season and go for a total rebuild.

Just because were playing .600 ball and leading the division is no indication we have a good team.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrylfries. Show darrylfries's posts

Trading Ellsbury and S. Drew is the opposite of "give up and total rebuild". Neither one of those short timers makes up the leadership and performance leaders on this team. They will not be missed when they leave, with both having problems showing up for work and playing well when they do show up for work.

Both have been playing well the past few weeks and to my knowledge have ben showing up for work evey day

Like Hill said name some names.

Just give me one

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

"the past few weeks". LOL!

When a player is for sale, the names come from those who want to buy the players. They don't come from me, I"m not buying.

My "reserve" for S. Drew is any GM who will pay about 80% of his remaining contract.

My "reserve" for Ellsbury is any GM will send 1 top 100 ranked prospect with proven current numbers at the AA or higher level of the minors.

Hill is a trolling catatonic load of statistical mundanity, who occassionally posts something beyond "WAR" that has some merit.

Ask Hill what he specifically suggested when Carp was "for sale". The answer is "nothing".

This "trolling catatonic load of statistical mundanity" suggested outfielder Manuel Margot for Mike Carp ... and was terribly wrong:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=622534

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts