For Some Reason I'm Getting Excited Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

For Some Reason I'm Getting Excited Again

I don't know. Maybe it's the Farrell presence. Ortiz and Pedroia feeling like they have a team to come back to. Or maybe John Lackey showing some sort of excitement of being a key SP for the Sox again. Hearing JD Drew reminding people that his brother did play 150 games a year at SS before breaking his leg. I was very despondent about the team's plight for 2014 let alone 2013. Now I'm not saying the team is making the playoffs anytime soon, but if Lester rights his ship, Lackey returns healthy, Dempster simply throws his career average, Doubront pitches quality top 4 rotation type of starts, the relief staff gets rejuvenated by Uehara with Bard returning and Aceves back and Miller. The Sox offense is going to be frustrating I believe, but good pitching allows for the offense to simply be more clutch than simply producing 11 runs a game. It's about timing the offense. They had no clutch hitting last year at all, and that's what this team needs. Fire in the 7th,8th,9th innings of close games. 

So I'm excited again. I'm ready to return to be my usual Sox fan self. And while I think Cherington is a little nuts in regard to overpaying marginal to average type players, it's those guys who could make some clubhouse difference--Victorino, Drew, Dempster. Lackey is my guy to rebound though. He's the guy who must step up and show that maybe some of that 82 million was worth it. Maybe this is that year he gets the 2nd chance. Bard too. 

Go Sox!!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: For Some Reason I'm Getting Excited Again

It helps that Bobby V is gone...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftymcrighty. Show Leftymcrighty's posts

How can anyone get excited about Ben signing a bunch of 32 year old plus, has-beens?

I'd rather they brought up Bogaerts, Bradley and Brentz, and been honest with the fans and said they were rebuilding. At least it would have been interesting to watch.

Would you rather see Brentz and Bradley than Victorino and Gomes? Bogaerts instead of Drew?

Also, has been been told the only way he can improve his team is through free agency? How about a trade? Nah!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How can anyone get excited about Ben signing a bunch of 32 year old plus, has-beens?

I'd rather they brought up Bogaerts, Bradley and Brentz, and been honest with the fans and said they were rebuilding. At least it would have been interesting to watch.

[/QUOTE]

Oh please, not the 'be honest with the fans' malarkey again.  Look, if fans are too stupid to understand what's going on, especially with the vast amount of information and commentary that's available, that's their problem.  Stupid can't be fixed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Would you rather see Brentz and Bradley than Victorino and Gomes? Bogaerts instead of Drew?

If Brentz, Bradley, and Bogaerts were major league ready, I'd love nothing more. But Brentz has played all of 5 games in AAA and struggled. The other two haven't played a game above AA. I can't wait to see these guys and the others at Fenway, but in all likelihood they need more seasoning in the minors first. I'm pretty sure the team knows their prospects and their readiness better than anyone here.

For years the BDC whine brigade has been telling us how much the team and the fans overrate our prospects...and now, suddenly, people are upset because we're not fielding an entire team of minor leaguers. Unbelievable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

Oh please, not the 'be honest with the fans' malarkey again.  Look, if fans are too stupid to understand what's going on, especially with the vast amount of information and commentary that's available, that's their problem.  Stupid can't be fixed.

[/QUOTE]

HappyMcSunshine is just another superannuated pessimist.  He hates everything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

That's what's great about being a fan. The excitement of a new season. Thanks for reminding us what is really all about.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, has been been told the only way he can improve his team is through free agency? How about a trade? Nah!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that would make sense because Brentz, Boegarts and Bradley are all clearly ready for the Majors!  If you want to see these guys play, you might want to head to Portland and Pawtucket this summer and avoid watching the Boston club altogether...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Enough with Brentz and Bradley.  A youth movement is probably better cultivated by not throwing your Double A all-stars to the major league wolves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This team isn't a bad team if it stays healthy and the pitching performs up to capability.

Both are big if's but this team is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Brentz, Bradley, and Bogaerts were major league ready, I'd love nothing more. But Brentz has played all of 5 games in AAA and struggled. The other two haven't played a game above AA. I can't wait to see these guys and the others at Fenway, but in all likelihood they need more seasoning in the minors first. I'm pretty sure the team knows their prospects and their readiness better than anyone here.

For years the BDC whine brigade has been telling us how much the team and the fans overrate our prospects...and now, suddenly, people are upset because we're not fielding an entire team of minor leaguers. Unbelievable.

[/QUOTE]

we had that last season and look how it turned out? at one point 2/3+ of our team consisted of minor leaguers..

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

The Sox could be a decent club, unfortunately, they're in the AL East and all the other teams in the division look much stronger than the Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We'll see how excited you are when we end up with 80 wins.  Cheerleaders area dime a dozen people that know anything about baseball are rare.

[/QUOTE]

Based on your posts, you are clearly not in the minority...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

We'll see how excited you are when we end up with 80 wins.  Cheerleaders area dime a dozen people that know anything about baseball are rare.

[/QUOTE]

Blowhards who think they know something about baseball are a dime a dozen.  

To wit, anyone who thinks fielding 90+ win teams year in and year out is easy, they don't know much about baseball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'm excited too Danny.  Yes, Vic was an overpay , but he had 39 steals in only 45 attempts last year.  That doesnt scream washed up to me.  Thats very impressive.  He's a GG outfielder.  15+ HR's (he hit 17 in 2010 and 2011) isnt bad for a speed/def guy.  Yes , we overpaid; however, he is a very well rounded ball player.  He;s better than Damon was in any of Damon;s boston years.  Judging by his 2012 SB numbers, I would speculate that the 2012 power outage had more to do w/ his broken hand than sudden / rapid decline.

Napoli is a great RH hitter.  .863 OPS doesnt lie.  Yes, Im a bit concerned about his hip; however, the fact that the sox are trying to work through the deal (as opposed to moving on entirely), shows me that the issue they found is more of a sign that something may go wrong as opposed to something that has already gone wrong.  Also: the sox medical staff was wrong about JBAY (his knees were fine) and they were wrong about JD (his shoulder was fine).

De La Rosa throws Verlander heat, and Im curious to see what Lackey looks like after TJ.  Doubie's K numbers suggest that he has room to improve.  Ells in a walk year.  If we can get the 2011 Ortiz back, we should be alright.

The bullpen also looks like a strength.  And the new playoff format will help.  Everything that could go wrong last year did, and we were still a hot streak away from being in contention deep into Aug.

The fact that we still have all of our prospects and still have financial flexibility will give us an opportunity to be buyers at the deadline.  And if we fall out of contention and have to be sellers, the guys who we brought in can be flipped for prospects.  Teams give up prospects for overpaid players all the time, because teams are desperate at teh deadline.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talk to fans of the Royals, Pirates, and Padres.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

The 2013 Sox look neither cheap nor smart. But they still look like the worst team in the American League East.

Time to get going on the slogans.

How about, “We can’t win, but we can still spin?’’Dan Shaughnessy   Some Red Sox people do know baseball. 

[/QUOTE]

So you want to go on record and say they will be the worst team in the AL East? What do you think the record will be?

I think they will win 84 games or so. What do you think?  Then at the end of the year we can all be impressed at how smart you are.

Sections
Shortcuts