1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: For Some Reason I'm Getting Excited Again

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

he will be better than dempster for the next 2 years...for about the same money,,,,

ben has choked again

[/QUOTE]

hate to break it to you, but you might want to bone up on your accounting.  2/26 is a far cry from 5/80.  Not at all the same money.  What about the 3 years beyond these next two?  They don't matter?

[/QUOTE]

I know...I think geo is a teacher...I sure hope it's not math.

[/QUOTE]

Geometry is math...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know. Maybe it's the Farrell presence. Ortiz and Pedroia feeling like they have a team to come back to. Or maybe John Lackey showing some sort of excitement of being a key SP for the Sox again. Hearing JD Drew reminding people that his brother did play 150 games a year at SS before breaking his leg. I was very despondent about the team's plight for 2014 let alone 2013. Now I'm not saying the team is making the playoffs anytime soon, but if Lester rights his ship, Lackey returns healthy, Dempster simply throws his career average, Doubront pitches quality top 4 rotation type of starts, the relief staff gets rejuvenated by Uehara with Bard returning and Aceves back and Miller. The Sox offense is going to be frustrating I believe, but good pitching allows for the offense to simply be more clutch than simply producing 11 runs a game. It's about timing the offense. They had no clutch hitting last year at all, and that's what this team needs. Fire in the 7th,8th,9th innings of close games. 

So I'm excited again. I'm ready to return to be my usual Sox fan self. And while I think Cherington is a little nuts in regard to overpaying marginal to average type players, it's those guys who could make some clubhouse difference--Victorino, Drew, Dempster. Lackey is my guy to rebound though. He's the guy who must step up and show that maybe some of that 82 million was worth it. Maybe this is that year he gets the 2nd chance. Bard too. 

Go Sox!!!!

[/QUOTE]

DC, I think we have depth offensively "only if" Pede, Ells and David have big years and stay healthy.  If the injury bug hits again we have way too may one dimensional platoon hitters to keep up the run production.

I do agree Lackey needs to prove himself along with Dempster and you have more faith in them than I do.  Can we be competitive?  Maybe but I'm not that excited with all the short term "high priced" mediocre signings in hopes we have the next breed of greats on the farm. 

Still no long term comfort in my mind!

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

he will be better than dempster for the next 2 years...for about the same money,,,,

ben has choked again

[/QUOTE]

hate to break it to you, but you might want to bone up on your accounting.  2/26 is a far cry from 5/80.  Not at all the same money.  What about the 3 years beyond these next two?  They don't matter?

[/QUOTE]

I know...I think geo is a teacher...I sure hope it's not math.

[/QUOTE]

Geometry is math...

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I like this.  Whenever Geo's logic goes awry, its "georometry".

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon started a positive-themed thread as well. It must be getting closer to when pitchers and catcher report...oh wait, it's the Holidays...No Bruins for me thanks to greed, Patriots all I got to cling on (and maybe a Super Bowl if Brady wills it) and the Celtics..I forgot who they are....Go Sox!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftymcrighty. Show Leftymcrighty's posts

I don't know who Edith is, but I certainly wasn't banned. I was sleeping, waiting for the Sox to do something significant this off season.

Now I'll go back to sleep, until that happens. I might be able to beat Rip Van Winkle's record, as long as Ben is in charge.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

So, looking forward to 2013:

Sox won 69 games in 2012. They were unlucky and probably should have won 74 or so. 

Replacing Gonzolez, Aviles and Ross (the 2012 version) with what might be a reasonable approximation of Victorino, Napoli and Drew (based on 3 years, skipping 2012 for Drew) probably adds about 3 wins to the Sox, since none of them are great players. Dempster is probably another 2. that gets the Sox up to 79 wins. 

You can't bet on pedroia being significantly better - he's already the best player on the team. If healthy, Ortiz adds another win. A healthy Ellsbury probably adds between 2 and 5 wins. Lester and Buccholz coming back would be another 6-8 wins. 

So, that (crude) analysis puts the sox at between 88 and 93 wins, which is right in the middle of things. Healthy Will Middlebrooks would help some, Doubront developing will help, Lackey coming back strong would help a lot, getting production from Bard/Aceves/Bailey/Melancon would help a lot. 

More likely, of course, is that one of the FA pickups is a total bust, the rotation continues to have control issues and Ellsbury gets hurt and the Sox end up somewhere around 75-80 wins. The nice thing about Christmas time, though, is that we can hope :)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hanrahan being acquired further enhances my excitement....queue the viagara.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The pressure falls squarely on the following pitchers

Lester, Lackey, Dempster, Doubront, Buchholz

These 5 guys have to throw in a BETTER than quality start mode, at least 3 ER or less per 6 IP, and get that far each start (average wise need to more like 2.5 ERA over 6 IP). If they get that kind of consistency, the bullpen does its job, the team won't need as many runs. However, lots of ifs. Still, I'm guessing the Sox are or have been searching and biding their time to see what SP shows up on the radar by July, 2013. Then they will swoop in and make a deal for probably a front-line ace from some team that has given up on the wildcard chase. But, I still think the 5 guys I listed aren't exactly chopped liver, and while maybe not the top-heavy ace staffs of the glory years--Schilling, Pedro...this one seems to have some legitimate strength from 1-to-5. Not about the star names, it's about production. Lackey, to me, is the key to the success. If he bounces back to be the Angels type SP, now we're talking. I have full confidence in Lester and Clay to do the job and be healthy, same with Doubront. Dempster has proven to be mostly consistent, he just has to provide the 200 IP that he's done so often in the past.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Again, Farrell and the way the team has completely changed the atmosphere already is giving me this feeling that the team is not so far away from being a possible WC contender.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts