For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people

There have been some posters saying Aceves should go to the rotation but no way. He has saved this team more than the 5 bullpen wins he has. 

Aceves is 5-0 with a 2.50 earned run average in 25 relief appearances.

Not only does he save the games he's pitching but what about the 1-2 games afterwards when he saves the bullpen.

He has been unreal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people

In Response to For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people:
    There have been some posters saying Aceves should go to the rotation but no way. He has saved this team more than the 5 bullpen wins he has.  Aceves is 5-0 with a 2.50 earned run average in 25 relief appearances. Not only does he save the games he's pitching but what about the 1-2 games afterwards when he saves the bullpen. He has been unreal.
    Posted by ADG

Aceves could probably be more effective than Miller, Wake or even Lackey but he has been our middle inning stopper in the pen.  Tough call!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

His greatest value to us is in the pen...

That said with Miller's recent struggles (last three starts all have been lackluster). I think it's fairly certain that we're looking for another arm and if we get a guy to replace Aceves and we're certain that Buccholz will be back to pitch "meaningful games". Miller's who's probably on a short leash now, could be replaced by Aceves in a the short term?

I've not heard a ton of news about Doubront (health/results). Weiland did pitch much better in his last outing and aside from the 6 he gave up in the 1st inning of his debut has shown signs of being ableto compete...which gives us options...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people:
    In Response to For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people : Aceves could probably be more effective than Miller, Wake or even Lackey but he has been our middle inning stopper in the pen.  Tough call!
    Posted by craze4sox

jim palmer, right now, would be more effective than those 3 clowns.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

His greatest value to us is in the pen... That said with Miller's recent struggles (last three starts all have been lackluster). I think it's fairly certain that we're looking for another arm and if we get a guy to replace Aceves and we're certain that Buccholz will be back to pitch "meaningful games". Miller's who's probably on a short leash now, could be replaced by Aceves in a the short term? I've not heard a ton of news about Doubront (health/results). Weiland did pitch much better in his last outing and aside from the 6 he gave up in the 1st inning of his debut has shown signs of being ableto compete...which gives us options...
    Posted by Beantowne

I agree beantowne, Doubront probably won't be ready to help anytime soon.  I really believe Theo should either trade for another competent SP "maybe Karoda" because we may not need to give up as much, or look for a guy who can replace Aceve's in the pen so he can start over Miller.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

At this point, the Sox have 4 #5 pitchers and no #3.  Going into the post season with Lackey, Wake, Miller, Aceves filling in the #3 and #4 spots in the rotation is a recipe for disaster. If the Sox play Philly or SF, in the WS, they could easily complete the first 2 games wirth a 1-1 record, with two of the 4 question marks pitching in the next 2 games.

If Buch comes back and regains his form, then they still have 4 #5 pitchers trying to fill 2 spots in the rotation. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

At this point, the Sox have 4 #5 pitchers and no #3.  Going into the post season with Lackey, Wake, Miller, Aceves filling in the #3 and #4 spots in the rotation is a recipe for disaster. If the Sox play Philly or SF, in the WS, they could easily complete the first 2 games wirth a 1-1 record, with two of the 4 question marks pitching in the next 2 games. If Buch comes back and regains his form, then they still have 4 #5 pitchers trying to fill 2 spots in the rotation. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Is Josh Beckett a #5 starter? You are crazy if you think so. We have 2 #1s and 3 #5s going out there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

At this point, the Sox have 4 #5 pitchers and no #3.  Going into the post season with Lackey, Wake, Miller, Aceves filling in the #3 and #4 spots in the rotation is a recipe for disaster. If the Sox play Philly or SF, in the WS, they could easily complete the first 2 games wirth a 1-1 record, with two of the 4 question marks pitching in the next 2 games. If Buch comes back and regains his form, then they still have 4 #5 pitchers trying to fill 2 spots in the rotation. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Hey DirtyWater, we need another arm either way not a RF.  Reddick wants the job, is working hard for it and deserves the position right now.  SS is my only other concern but hopefully we can at least get Lowrie back before the PS to give us another option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

There have been some posters saying Aceves should go to the rotation but no way. He has saved this team more than the 5 bullpen wins he has.  Aceves is 5-0 with a 2.50 earned run average in 25 relief appearances. Not only does he save the games he's pitching but what about the 1-2 games afterwards when he saves the bullpen. He has been unreal.
    Posted by ADG

The real question here is whether Aceves or Atcheison is better equipped for the long role.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Posted by ADG

I agree with this. Aceves has been a saviour in the pen. Albers has been a pleasant surprise as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people : I agree with this. Aceves has been a saviour in the pen. Albers has been a pleasant surprise as well.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Agreed, except I'm not sure 'pleasant surprise' is strong enough praise for Albers.  He has been tremendous.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Aceves has been good in his role as the long relief man.    Putting him in the starting rotation creates a hole in the bullpen and taking chances that the bullpen gets overworked.
    Damned if you do   - damned if you don't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I wouldn't mess with Aceves or Albers or Bard or Pap at this point. Continue to use Morales and Wheeler in spot relief. I would move Wake and/or Miller out of the rotation and use Weiland and Doubrount for a couple of starts each to compete for one of two openings.

We can't be giving leads away and giving big innings up to teams two times a week by Wake and Miller.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I know John Lackey is everyone's favorite whipping boy and loves to focus in on his season ERA, but I don't think he should be considered a No. 5 at this point.

We'll know even more after tonight, but his ERA in his last five starts is 3.99. That's plenty good for a No. 4 or even a No. 3. And his ERA in his last three starts is 1.86. Yes, like everyone else, I sort of hold my breath still when he pitches but he has separated himself from Wake, Miller, et .al.

So right now, I'd say the Sox have a No. 1, No. 2 (or two No. 1s), a No. 4 and two No. 5s.

As a No. 5 starter, I'm comfortable with Wake. I know people like to point to the seven runs last game and a 5.15 ERA, but if it weren't for the big lead, he'd likely been taken out sooner and his ERA would be under 5 and in a perfect range for a No.5 starter. And he has shown he's capable of a lights-out effort.

Miller has been regressing, so I'm not as hopeful about him right now. He seems to need to go back to Pawtucket and work on his stuff a bit more.

As for Aceves, the focus on the thread to start, I say leave him in the bullpen. It's too much of an unknown on how he'd do and you'd be creating a hole in the bullpen. The bullpen is emerging as a decent strength. Aceves, Albers, Bard and Papelpon have been very consistent in close games, and even Wheeler seems to have turned it around since coming off the DL. I say don't mess with success.

Oh, and even Morales has been decent overall. He's allowed earned runs in just three of 13 games (allowed runs in four games overall) and has allowed runs in just two of his last 11. And in the the three games he's allowed runs, the games were already blowouts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people : Aceves could probably be more effective than Miller, Wake or even Lackey but he has been our middle inning stopper in the pen.  Tough call!
    Posted by craze4sox

Aceves as a starter:     1-1  5.14 ERA  1.571  WHIP
    Aceves as a reliever: 5-0 2.50 ERA  0.993 WHIP

Career wins as a starter:
    Wake:   189
    Lackey: 124
    Aceves:    2

Yeah, that's a real tough call...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people : Aceves as a starter:     1-1  5.14 ERA  1.571  WHIP Aceves as a reliever: 5-0 2.50 ERA  0.993 WHIP Career wins as a starter: Wake:   189 Lackey: 124 Aceves:    2 Yeah, that's a real tough call...
    Posted by harness

That is a biased way to show stats to prove a point. Aceves has had very few opportunities to start. Why not look at the overall ERA?  Aceves could very possibly take the same stuff to a starting role as he does for a relief role.  Showing career wins as a starter is meaningless. Why not show career losses?   What is Aceves career won/loss record? 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

clowns???????? wake is 6-3 with a 5.15 era. Lackey has won his last 4 starts and Miller had one bad game but is 4-1. I know who the clown is in here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people : That is a biased way to show stats to prove a point. Aceves has had very few opportunities to start. Why not look at the overall ERA?  Aceves could very possibly take the same stuff to a starting role as he does for a relief role.  Showing career wins as a starter is meaningless. Why not show career losses?   What is Aceves career won/loss record? 
    Posted by dgalehouse

Would you prefer it if I said Aceves spent 7+ years in AAA - that his ERA in AAA was 4.02? He is being deployed in the proper capacity. As a starter, he is exposed.
    That's why he is in the pen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

NY knows Aceves for all the good work he did as a long man.Was able to step in and throw two, three, or four solid innings.

We also know him as a guy with a chronic bad back. As soon as the Yanks asked him to start when one of the rotation was down, his back went out. Yanks loved him, but it's why Cashman didn't offer him a major league contract.

Be happy where you have him. He's very effective in the role, and his back seems to handle it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

He was/would be great in the starting rotation, but he has much more value in the BP. He has saved the BP arms in every Miller start, when a starter blows up and only goes 2 he can give you starter length from the pen. He can be your extra innings starter in long extra innings games, he doesnt get as taxed as other relievers so he can be used on consecutive days and his numbers relieving are dominant.

Question. Who is the alfredo aceves type relief pitcher when Aceves Starts and goes 2 1/3?

Aceves is much more useful out of the Pen

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He was/would be great in the starting rotation, but he has much more value in the BP. He has saved the BP arms in every Miller start, when a starter blows up and only goes 2 he can give you starter length from the pen. He can be your extra innings starter in long extra innings games, he doesnt get as taxed as other relievers so he can be used on consecutive days and his numbers relieving are dominant. Question. Who is the alfredo aceves type relief pitcher when Aceves Starts and goes 2 1/3? Aceves is much more useful out of the Pen
    Posted by redsoxlaxer12

No, Aceves was never great in the starting rotation.
    He was decent in the Mexican League, but a .500 pitcher 4.36 ERA in M.L. AAA affiliation. That's why he spent 7+ years in AAA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He only has 9 career MLB starts in 4 ML seasons. 

(2-1  4.18 / 1.394)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He only has 9 career MLB starts in 4 ML seasons.  (2-1  4.18 / 1.394)
    Posted by moonslav59

For very good reason. He is exposed as a starter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

In Response to Re: For the "Put Aceves in the rotation argument " people : For very good reason. He is exposed as a starter.
    Posted by harness

all the more reason he should stay in the pen

Sections
Shortcuts