For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade

James Loney is a first baseman with a .646 OPS, which is to say he has no place in major-league baseball.  He is 28 - it's not going to get any better.

Allen Webster is a 22-year-old with a 1.45 WHIP at AA.  Maybe one day he'll be a fourth starter.

Ivan De Jesus is 25-year-old utility infielder / outfielder who could maybe give Ciriaco a run for his money as a bench player.

Rubby De La Rosa looked like a potential #3 starter in very limited innings before he underwent Tommy John surgery.  Who knows?

Jerry Sands is the most promising - a 24-year old without a natural position who might be an average first-baseman or slow, clumsy outfielder, but is a very good hitter.  Even Sands's numbers have dropped every year in professional baseball.

So basically, we're p1ssing Agon away to dump salary - there's no return here to jump up and down about.  And why are fans excited about dumping salary?  So we can go out and bid for a head-case like Zach Greinke, or an addict like Josh Hamilton?  Brilliant!  Perfect fits for the brightest spotlight in professional sports.

We don't need to blow up this roster - we need to stay healthy for a season.  We're not that far away from contending - this will set us back years!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade

Couldn't you have posted this in one of the 15 other threads on the trade rumor?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In Response to For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade:
    James Loney is a first baseman with a .646 OPS, which is to say he has no place in major-league baseball.  He is 28 - it's not going to get any better. Allen Webster is a 22-year-old with a 1.45 WHIP at AA.  Maybe one day he'll be a fourth starter. Ivan De Jesus is 25-year-old utility infielder / outfielder who could maybe give Ciriaco a run for his money as a bench player. Rubby De La Rosa looked like a potential #3 starter in very limited innings before he underwent Tommy John surgery.  Who knows? Jerry Sands is the most promising - a 24-year old without a natural position who might be an average first-baseman or slow, clumsy outfielder, but is a very good hitter.  Even Sands's numbers have dropped every year in professional baseball. So basically, we're p1ssing Agon away to dump salary - there's no return here to jump up and down about.  And why are fans excited about dumping salary?  So we can go out and bid for a head-case like Zach Greinke, or an addict like Josh Hamilton?  Brilliant!  Perfect fits for the brightest spotlight in professional sports. We don't need to blow up this roster - we need to stay healthy for a season.  We're not that far away from contending - this will set us back years!
    Posted by slomag

Yep, Moronic.......................

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade:
    Couldn't you have posted this in one of the 15 other threads on the trade rumor?
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

You mean the 15 circle-jerks of morons salivating over dumping one of the best players in the game?  I thought this would more effectively represent my particular slant.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

You think Punto is one of the best players in the game?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : You mean the 15 circle-jerks of morons salivating over dumping one of the best players in the game?  I thought this would more effectively represent my particular slant.
    Posted by slomag

You could have done it on an existing thread.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

In Response to For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : Yep, Moronic.......................
    Posted by 56redsox

Agreed....if youre gonna give away one of the best players in the game then at least get some proven talent... none of these guys are that....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade":
    In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : You mean the 15 circle-jerks of morons salivating over dumping one of the best players in the game?  I thought this would more effectively represent my particular slant. Posted by slomag
    I agree. Others seem to think king Felix and Hamilton are walking through that door. Not happening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I don't want AGon to go. I am thrilled if Beckett and Crawford go. I do not want the media here to dissect Josh Hamiltons every day and destroy him from within... so I guess we can't sign him. That sucks. 

In the end if we have to lose AGon to get rid of Beckett AND Crawford so be it.

Now back to AGon letting Shopach use his cell phone... maybe AGon was more of an issue to our lousy FO than we realise and this was part of the reason they were willing to trade one of the best first-basemen in all of baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

He did post it in another thread. 

I agree, slomag. Not a done deal yet. wonder if both sides will sleep on it and one will wake up, with a change of heart. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The real story about Agon will eventually be told.  If he was a great team guy - this deal would not be made.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Check all sources tomorrow and find one claiming this is a bad deal for the Sox.  Unfortunate that we are in rebuild mode-but you have to do this deal even if you were getting nothing in return.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The real story about Agon will eventually be told.  If he was a great team guy - this deal would not be made.

ghost, the real story is, they couldnt trade crawford and/or beckett without Gonzo. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : ghost, the real story is, they couldnt trade crawford and/or beckett without Gonzo. 
    Posted by J-BAY

We'll see.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Check all sources tomorrow and find one claiming this is a bad deal for the Sox.  Unfortunate that we are in rebuild mode-but you have to do this deal even if you were getting nothing in return.
    Posted by spewey

What if the Red Sox are sending the Dodgers $100 million as part of the deal?

I'll reserve judgment until I learn of all the details.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : What if the Red Sox are sending the Dodgers $100 million as part of the deal? I'll reserve judgment until I learn of all the details.
    Posted by hill55

Good point.  I stand corrected.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

There's no reason to sell low on Beckett - if he bounces back and has a solid 2013, you can trade him then, when there is only one year and change left on his contract, and you can actually get something for him, instead of paying somebody else to take him.  If he doesn't, the contract is almost up anyway, and there's nobody on the FA market that you would want to pursue anyway, so there's no salary cap consideration.

Same with Crawford - see how he does next year.  Ellsbury isn't tearing it up, if you haven't noticed - what if Crawford looks better than Ells when his contract is up?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The Sox should send no money.  This deal is all about salary dumping so the team can rebuild with different talent.  This deal is not even really about Agon.  It about getting rid of Beckett and CC and the contracts that are tying the Sox hands.  Once these contracts are gone the rebuilding can start.  The Sox have the money but they need to spend it the right, not the the way Theo did his last few years.  BC needs to impliment his plan on the team now and get out from under Theos mess.  Get it done.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

$60M in Payroll Relief, Repeat $60M.  With DiceK gone, Youk gone and Jenks gone, and Ortiz starting over, the team just relieved $103M in payroll.

$103M in payroll.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

No pitching no rings. Simple.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Not if you're feeling bad enough and want to get your own out there.

Slomag, I am afraid this is really not good ...

and I am generally positive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : Not if you're feeling bad enough and want to get your own out there. Slomag, I am afraid this is really not good ...    and I am generally positive.
    Posted by SinceYaz

And what they had was working?

Think about Agon's last 3 seasons:

1. Huge choke job with Padres in 2010
    2. Huge choke job with Red Sox in 2011
    3. Awful season for Red Sox in 2012

I'm talking about the team and not necessarily him.

Crawford is on the downhill slide and Beckett, addition by subtraction.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Sloman needs a seditive.
    This is the best day since the Sox won the World Series in 2007!
    All along, we've been told that the Sox were being crippled by Theo's big contracts.
    Now, in one fell swoop, their gone! Amazing!
    Payroll down to 45.5 million!
    I heard Bob Costas saying Magic Johnson fleeced the Sox.
    Another guy, along with Sloman, who can't see the big picture.
    The Sox rid themselves of two malcontents, and their worst signee ever, plus a zero performing utility infielder.
    How great is that?
    Now, they can sign Ellsberry, if they want, chase any free agent that they think may help them, or sit on the money and wait for the right player they need.
    A real win-win!

Sections
Shortcuts