For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade

In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade:
    [QUOTE]Sloman needs a seditive. This is the best day since the Sox won the World Series in 2007! All along, we've been told that the Sox were being crippled by Theo's big contracts. Now, in one fell swoop, their gone! Amazing! I heard Bob Costas saying Magic Johnson fleeced the Sox. Another guy, along with Sloman, who can't see the big picture. The Sox rid themselves of two malcontents, and their worst signee ever, plus a zero performing utility infielder. How great is that? Now, they can sign Ellsberry, if they want, chase any free agent that they think may help them, or sit on the money and wait for the right player they need. A real win-win!
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

It's good that the Dodgers think they fleeced us.  I haven't been this excited since Pap's save in G4......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I have to say most of the fans who were excited about this big blockbuster to get rid of money had the following traits:
    1. They hated Tito
    2. They for some bizarre reason think BV is better than Tito
    3. They hated the players so much that they would rather watch a 
    glorified Pawtucket Clown Car roster over a competitive team.

To me, it's another example of how spinning things the right way will always get the Sox fans to "buy in." 2010 came with the Bridge Year to show fans that we were not going to have a chance to make the playoffs that year. All this year has been the seeds planted to make sure that fans really hated AGON, Pedroia  not just the usual suspects of Beckett and Lackey and CC. It worked, fans are holding parties tonight to celebrate the savings in mony by the Sox organization. The only people who won tonight are John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchinno. That's it. But fans for whatever reason are enamoured at having worse players on the Sox. James Loney was an absolute cancer on the Dodgers, FYI. The Sox are ready to go back to the days of pre-Henry...I guess he went full circle. And fans are literally drooling that Ellsbury and Ortiz are the next two to say see ya. I don't want to watch the Pawtucket Red Sox and BV and a 73-89 team. I really don't. You guys do, obviously.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Gonzalez has shrivelled down to 15 HRs and will not be missed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade:
    [QUOTE]James Loney is a first baseman with a .646 OPS, which is to say he has no place in major-league baseball.  He is 28 - it's not going to get any better. Allen Webster is a 22-year-old with a 1.45 WHIP at AA.  Maybe one day he'll be a fourth starter. Ivan De Jesus is 25-year-old utility infielder / outfielder who could maybe give Ciriaco a run for his money as a bench player. Rubby De La Rosa looked like a potential #3 starter in very limited innings before he underwent Tommy John surgery.  Who knows? Jerry Sands is the most promising - a 24-year old without a natural position who might be an average first-baseman or slow, clumsy outfielder, but is a very good hitter.  Even Sands's numbers have dropped every year in professional baseball. So basically, we're p1ssing Agon away to dump salary - there's no return here to jump up and down about.  And why are fans excited about dumping salary?  So we can go out and bid for a head-case like Zach Greinke, or an addict like Josh Hamilton?  Brilliant!  Perfect fits for the brightest spotlight in professional sports. We don't need to blow up this roster - we need to stay healthy for a season.  We're not that far away from contending - this will set us back years!
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Loney is a waste. He's a poor mna's Casey Kotchman. With the mono.

Jerry Sands is the Lars anderson of the PCL.

DeJesus is too good to be a utility, but not erally good enough to start

But do not knock Rubby DLR, who does have serious potential....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : You are an endless and hopeless broken record.  We get you think the Sox problems would all be cured if Tito was still here.  Tito was part of the problem, every bit as much as Valentine has not been the solution.  The answer is to start over with a sound business plan of focusing on development, then augment that with short term free agent contracts to fill holes.  This bold move accelerates a process that needs to happen:   A Gon:  .300/20/100 is a nice player at $10M.  At $20M with declining power and advancing age, he is not good value.  Period.    CC:  Signing was always a mistake, he was never worth the $.  Considering       his injuries and contract, the Sox should jump at the offer. Beckett:  good return on the initial trade, terrible return on his second contract.  Addition by subtraction. Punto:  blocking Iglesias, and at $6M Ortiz:  he will end at .300/30/80.  Good, but not irreplaceable.  Ellsbury:  No need to sell low at his point.  Let's see how he plays in 2013. This team as currently constructed was not going to win.  Let the youth movement begin.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

and you and geo spent way too much time salivating over a "real manager" and seem to relish going full throttle after players and absolving management for its complete mishandling of everything Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why are you whining about Loney?  He is a FA at the end of the year anyhow.

Why can't people understand that saving 250 million dollars means the team can actually add players in the off season?

Forget Loney - He has nothing to do with this deal

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In Response to For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade:
    [QUOTE]James Loney is a first baseman with a .646 OPS, which is to say he has no place in major-league baseball.  He is 28 - it's not going to get any better. Allen Webster is a 22-year-old with a 1.45 WHIP at AA.  Maybe one day he'll be a fourth starter. Ivan De Jesus is 25-year-old utility infielder / outfielder who could maybe give Ciriaco a run for his money as a bench player. Rubby De La Rosa looked like a potential #3 starter in very limited innings before he underwent Tommy John surgery.  Who knows? Jerry Sands is the most promising - a 24-year old without a natural position who might be an average first-baseman or slow, clumsy outfielder, but is a very good hitter.  Even Sands's numbers have dropped every year in professional baseball. So basically, we're p1ssing Agon away to dump salary - there's no return here to jump up and down about.  And why are fans excited about dumping salary?  So we can go out and bid for a head-case like Zach Greinke, or an addict like Josh Hamilton?  Brilliant!  Perfect fits for the brightest spotlight in professional sports. We don't need to blow up this roster - we need to stay healthy for a season.  We're not that far away from contending - this will set us back years!
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, slomag...What gives with RSN and this forum that they embrace this trade...Even Moon...I tell you..RSN will eventually curse the day they let A-Gon go gone-gone....And when CC and maybe even Beckett (the back-in-the-NL AJ Burnett effect) have bounceback years, the weeping and gnashing of teeth will be endless...If it goes through, the Red Sox could be rebuilding for a while in 3rd or even 4th place...Especially if some of that JH money gets pipelined Liverpool's way....If that EPL football team does not turn it around soon, JH will have another fan rebellion on his hands...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Why are you whining about Loney?  He is a FA at the end of the year anyhow. Why can't people understand that saving 250 million dollars means the team can actually add players in the off season? Forget Loney - He has nothing to do with this deal
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Loney will probably be the only one most of them see this year.   The others won't clear waivers, but Loney most definitely will.

Really, though, Loney was probably only added to this deal in exchange for Punto...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]I have to say most of the fans who were excited about this big blockbuster to get rid of money had the following traits: 1. They hated Tito 2. They for some bizarre reason think BV is better than Tito 3. They hated the players so much that they would rather watch a  glorified Pawtucket Clown Car roster over a competitive team. To me, it's another example of how spinning things the right way will always get the Sox fans to "buy in." 2010 came with the Bridge Year to show fans that we were not going to have a chance to make the playoffs that year. All this year has been the seeds planted to make sure that fans really hated AGON, Pedroia  not just the usual suspects of Beckett and Lackey and CC. It worked, fans are holding parties tonight to celebrate the savings in mony by the Sox organization. The only people who won tonight are John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchinno. That's it. But fans for whatever reason are enamoured at having worse players on the Sox. James Loney was an absolute cancer on the Dodgers, FYI. The Sox are ready to go back to the days of pre-Henry...I guess he went full circle. And fans are literally drooling that Ellsbury and Ortiz are the next two to say see ya. I don't want to watch the Pawtucket Red Sox and BV and a 73-89 team. I really don't. You guys do, obviously.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Missed your post until now dannycater..I could not agreee more...And remember...JH has a potential fan base rebellion brewing in Liverpool, a team without a serious offensive threat that got embarrassed by lowly West Brom on opening day...Don't be surprised if some of that saved payroll dinero goes towards getting a striker for the EPL-sinking Reds...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Slo, if the Dodgers do indeed pay 95% of the contracts, I'd trade these 4 for nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : Loney is a waste. He's a poor mna's Casey Kotchman. With the mono. Jerry Sands is the Lars anderson of the PCL. DeJesus is too good to be a utility, but not erally good enough to start But do not knock Rubby DLR, who does have serious potential....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

de la Rosa hit 96 the other day (post Tommy John), but I heard Toronto claimed him, so he can't be part of the deal.

Webster is probably the best prospect of them all. You left him out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Why are you whining about Loney?  He is a FA at the end of the year anyhow. Why can't people understand that saving 250 million dollars means the team can actually add players in the off season? Forget Loney - He has nothing to do with this deal
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with Schump...OH NO!

Maybe I need to re-evaluate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What gives with RSN and this forum that they embrace this trade...Even Moon...I tell you..RSN will eventually curse the day they let A-Gon go gone-gone....And when CC and maybe even Beckett (the back-in-the-NL AJ Burnett effect) have bounceback years, the weeping and gnashing of teeth will be endless...

Yes, even moon!

Even if Beckett and CC do well in LA, it won't mean they would have done the same here. I won't whine. I know AGon will do well, but to me just getting rid of CC's contract is worth handing AGon and his $22M/yr deal away for free.

The prospects are just icing on the cake, and fodder for a winter tradefest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]What gives with RSN and this forum that they embrace this trade...Even Moon...I tell you..RSN will eventually curse the day they let A-Gon go gone-gone....And when CC and maybe even Beckett (the back-in-the-NL AJ Burnett effect) have bounceback years, the weeping and gnashing of teeth will be endless... Yes, even moon! Even if Beckett and CC do well in LA, it won't mean they would have done the same here. I won't whine. I know AGon will do well, but to me just getting rid of CC's contract is worth handing AGon and his $22M/yr deal away for free. The prospects are just icing on the cake, and fodder for a winter tradefest.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Given the extent to which Cherrington, Lucchino and the Red Sox management team has been fleeced up to this point, I would not have a lot of confidence in more trades bringing salvation...As for some King Felix-like free agent signing, who will be rushing to come to Boston? ...Not many...I think this is actually a sad day for the Red Sox franchise...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...this from the guy who said it was impossible to trade CC.

Just think, no more $30M OF jokes.

No more fat Beckett jokes.

No more defending the silent leader who whines about playing day-night doubleheaaders like a "spoiled union slug".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" RSN will eventually curse the day they let A-Gon go gone-gone....And when CC and maybe even Beckett (the back-in-the-NL AJ Burnett effect) have bounceback years, the weeping and gnashing of teeth will be endless..."

not for me - I consider this trade a reprieve, a gift from the baseball gods, a do-over. I'm used to seeing players who didn't pan out here succeed in the soft national league. 

If the Dodgers do indeed take back 95 percent of the money on these contracts this is a huge chance for the Sox to do it better than they have been doing it, better and different. 

". Selling his assets and liabilities from a position of weakness"

Actually it's not a position of weakness, he can pull back these guys from waivers at any time he wants. I guess you don't understand leverage very well. The Sox have a rare and fleeting moment of leverage that will be gone again if they don't consummate this. The Dodgers badly want AGon and will roll the dice on two other players taking up huge salary. They are in a buying mood, are the only team in the entire league that has the means and motivation to do this, and once they sign other players they won't be able to afford it any more. This is the time to strike. If the Sox miss this chance, then they do go back to the position of weakness you describe because no other team in the league wants these bloated contracts.

As for assets, I would ask you what assets? A Gon is clearly overpriced, unhappy in Boston, was helping to ferment a revolt against the manager in some way from what we can tell, didn't have the power we were hoping for.....

I don't see a big asset there. Don't get me wrong, if he was the worst contract on the team I'd support keeping him around, but to get a team to take on Crawford, a contract impossible to trade, and Beckett also? You have to give up something that hurts a tad. 

I'm shocked you would be upset by this, you have been railing against Crawford and his contract through at least four screen names and this is the one and only chance to get out from under him and you are feeling sorry for yourself. Maybe it's because you didn't see this one coming.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AGon is not easily replaced, but at $22M, we can fill 3 slots.

AGon has the 7th best 1B OPS the past 5 years combined at .904.

The thing about 1B is that the differentiak between the 5th to 7th best 1Bmen and the 12th to 14th best 1Bmen is not all that much.
    .831 to .838.

Even #18 is over .800. The Adam LaRoches are a dime-a-dozen. Well, $8M x 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]And they incompetence of Cherry is about to go to another level. Selling his assets and liabilities from a position of weakness. The guy is an idiot.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    OMG...I agree with you softy...Exactly...What about waiting and seeing if CC can regain some of his form in 2013, and then you have the option of keeping  him or at least getting a few DECENT prospects in return..The obvious "future of John Henry's liquidity" aspects of this sell-off seem to be lost on much of RSN represented in this forum....This is almost like a baseball version of the movie "Margin Call"...Maybe they should do a sequel and dub it "Bad Call".  However, the fact that John Henry's pitch is so far out of the building-an-MLB-contender strike zone is apparently lost upon all the fantasy traders in here....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OMG...I agree with you softy..

Teilhard would knock you on the side of the head if he were still around. 

This is blasphemy

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]OMG...I agree with you softy.. Teilhard would knock you on the side of the head if he were still around.  This is blasphemy
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Now that is the first accurate thing you have said all night moon...In fact I just finished slapping myself silly...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

This is addition by subtraction, I make this trade today tomorrow and yesterday all day long.  If the Dodgers are willing to pick up 260 of 271 million I also make this deal twice on Sunday.  The media nitwits that think the Dodgers and Magic Johnson are "fleecing" the red sox are the same geniuses that reported all of the clubhouse dissension and that A Gon was chief whiner who ran to management to complain about Bobby V.  Bob Costas and crew are showing their irrelavence with these ridiculous quotes.  Yes A Gon is a great hitter but he is no leader and has made some of the more assinine comments in recent seasons demonstrating his selfishness and as I have seen time and time again, not anything resembling a true christian.  Hey A Gon a true christian would take the time and effort to attend Johnny Pesky's christian funeral!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For the love of God, don't make this idiotic trade : You are an endless and hopeless broken record.  We get you think the Sox problems would all be cured if Tito was still here.  Tito was part of the problem, every bit as much as Valentine has not been the solution.  The answer is to start over with a sound business plan of focusing on development, then augment that with short term free agent contracts to fill holes.  This bold move accelerates a process that needs to happen:   A Gon:  .300/20/100 is a nice player at $10M.  At $20M with declining power and advancing age, he is not good value.  Period.    CC:  Signing was always a mistake, he was never worth the $.  Considering       his injuries and contract, the Sox should jump at the offer. Beckett:  good return on the initial trade, terrible return on his second contract.  Addition by subtraction. Punto:  blocking Iglesias, and at $6M Ortiz:  he will end at .300/30/80.  Good, but not irreplaceable.  Ellsbury:  No need to sell low at his point.  Let's see how he plays in 2013. This team as currently constructed was not going to win.  Let the youth movement begin.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

and money has no meaning in LA, who juSt signed a tv deal worht what is it 3 or 4 BILLION WITH A "B".
    i truly hope wqe are nto giving them salary relief. they need NO SALARY RELIEF!