For those who remember how close in talent was Sizemore to Ellsbury back when he was healthy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: For those who remember how close in talent was Sizemore to Ellsbury back when he was healthy

Terrific thread.  Thanks everyone, especially notin and flapjack.  One reminder about Ellsbury.  He was a virtual certainty to depart at the first opportunity.  

Also, and I am stealing from the Globe writers here, the mostly likely way to compensate for Ellsbury's offense is at other positions, not CF.  Given his humongous history of injuries, Grady is a size less.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Re: For those who remember how close in talent was Sizemore to Ellsbury back when he was healthy

In response to proftom2's comment:

Two different type players. Jacoby has more speed that disupts the game both offensively and on defence. Brady, is less disruptive. 

Untrue. You could argue Els has better average, but Sizemore never had a hitter like Pedroia hitting behind him. The only advantage I'd give to Els(and I'm a Jacoby fan) is stolen bases. Defensively, Els takes bad angles but can use speed to recover and has a weaker arm. 

Brady plays for the Pats, no?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

i think they were they were real similar..Grady probably had a better arm, maybe a bit more consistent pop, but they both wreaked havoc when playing well.. 

They were very similar.  Grady before the injuries stack up was considered a top 5 in all of baseball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

i think they were they were real similar..Grady probably had a better arm, maybe a bit more consistent pop, but they both wreaked havoc when playing well.. 

They were very similar.  Grady before the injuries stack up was considered a top 5 in all of baseball.

agree....man, could he bust up a game in a hurry...he was a wrecking ball in spikes...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

agree....man, could he bust up a game in a hurry...he was a wrecking ball in spikes...

Before his rash of injuries Sizemore was more consistent.  Ellsbury had a good 2011, Sizemore put up a season that good or better for 4 straight years.  Similar players? yes.  But if you stack up Ellsbury's top 4 seasons with Sizemores top 4, then Grady Sizemore blows Ellsbury away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Back problems are tricky. I know that since blowing out my back in my twenties. Last three times it has gone out were... a) pushing in a chair after students left. B) tossing and turning in my sleep, so that a blanket wormed it's way under me. C) when, the fiancé put her hand under my back while asleep. None of these come close to playing a sport for a living...

but by god, I hope he does return to 80~90%. Means the Sox have reproduced Ells, but for a fraction of the cost.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think Sizemore was better in his prime.  His average over four years was-

41 2Bs, 8 3Bs, 27 HRs, 29/8 SB, with a .281/.372/.496/.868, with GG CF defense.

Of course, that ended in 2008.  The top-10 in offensive WAR that year included Kinsler, Quentin, Roberts and Youkilis.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to FantaSox's comment:

Expecting Sizemore to be 100 percent of what he was is a dream but I wonder how close to Ellsbury he was.

In Grady's prime he was more successful than Ells against RHP and Ells better againat lefties but you wouldn't see Grady hitting 70 weak ground ball outs to the IF like Ells.  Grady was also the more natural CF in my opinion and still may be better all round if he stays healthy and regains his power stroke because he can produce a very high OPS. 

Grady also had four seasons where he scored more than 100 runs "one year" at 134 which is incredible so I don't think the fact Ellsbury steals more bases means that much either.  Ells had one good HR year and scored over 100 once that same year. 

Finally, looking at age and salary Sizemore could be a steal over Ells even though Jacoby should "in theory" hit more HR's in Yankee stadium like Damon did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- New York Yankees center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was scratched from the starting lineup for Sunday's game against Atlanta because of slight tightness in his right calf.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- New York Yankees center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was scratched from the starting lineup for Sunday's game against Atlanta because of slight tightness in his right calf.

They probably want to keep his right calf in the best shape. I'm sure they're counting on him running all over the bases when the games start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

I realy enjoyed the years of Ellsburylooked forward when he came to the plate. After reading all this posts I am excited about Sizemore especially after today. I hope he stays healthy we could be in for a special exciting year. The next guy to watch for is Manuel Margot. Maybe Stanton can be had with a package of players that would make big Papi happy and the Yankees sceared for sure. An outfield of Stanton Sizemore and Victorino would make things way more interesting and exciting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

It seems very unlikely Sizemore will remain healthy. 
    Based on what we have seen so far, if he does, he's better than Ellsbury. 
    The scary thing is if you go back to 2011 there are reports of him coming back and feeling great, running great. 
    IF he stays healthy? WOW!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The problem is, if Sizemore is healthy he is clearly one of our best outfielders and maybe even the best and that means either an outfielder is optioned/traded/released or it means one of our best outfielders is playing Pawtucket so we can keep Carp on this team and JBJ in the majors.

I prefer to start Sizemore in Pawtucket, only to buy time and make sure he is healthy.  Because if we are wrong, and he goes down and someone like Carp is already out of town, then the depth in the outfield takes a HUGE blow.

Either way at some point you will have to roll the dice, because if Sizemore stays healthy and looks good the health questions will remain.

But that is why I prefer to start him off slow because I want to make sure. 

If you want to argue with me that I'm wrong and Grady Sizemore should start in CF I won't argue with you, because truth be told I'll try to block out all the injury concerns from my head and just try to get excited about what a healthy Grady could do, but that is my opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The problem is, if Sizemore is healthy he is clearly one of our best outfielders and maybe even the best and that means either an outfielder is optioned/traded/released or it means one of our best outfielders is playing Pawtucket so we can keep Carp on this team and JBJ in the majors.

I prefer to start Sizemore in Pawtucket, only to buy time and make sure he is healthy.  Because if we are wrong, and he goes down and someone like Carp is already out of town, then the depth in the outfield takes a HUGE blow.

Either way at some point you will have to roll the dice, because if Sizemore stays healthy and looks good the health questions will remain.

If you want to argue with me that I'm wrong and Grady Sizemore should start in CF I won't argue with you, because truth be told I'll try to block out all the injury concerns from my head and just try to get excited about what a healthy Grady could do, but that is my opinion.

You make a valid point. Not knowing if Grady will stay healthy is a real concern. I prefer if he clearly wins the starting job he plays and deal with a set back if and when it occurs. JBJ in that case starts in Pawtucket and Carp remains as a 4th outfielder.

If Grady can stay on the field he will have as productive a year as Ell's, for a whole lot less salary.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Carp, however, is really only suitable for LF, and we already have Nava and Gomes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

if he will inevitably get injured, why not use him up in the MLB helping the big club instead of AAA?  a couple extra wins in April/May....

if he keeps on his current pace this spring there is no chance he is sent down. that catch into the wall yesterday and then 3 hits (could have been 4 as his first AB was a nice play by LF) almost puts him on the no looking back track.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Reading up on micro-fracture surgery and it may be Sizemore could make a strong comeback. 

There are a lot of bad outcomes with that type of surgery, but it seems as if the problems come when guys are either very large and play on hard surfaces, and particularly when people try and rush back rather than properly rehabbing. 

The surgery entails drilling a lot of tiny holes into the bones in the affected area. It's a minimally invasive surgery which leaves the athlete feeling much better than expected and often pain free immediately following the surgery. 

The danger is the bone is fragile because of all those micro-fractures caused by the drilling. Take it easy and let the bone fill in and fully heal and the outcome can be very good. Push things and the weakened bone can not stand the stress. 

The sport being baseball as opposed to basketball is also a huge plus. Grass instead of a hard surface and far less constant pounding. 

Keeping my fingers crossed. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Oh no, don't ruin the excitement about a healthy Grady. You're always right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

As I don't post much anymore,it's probably already been posted. If Sizemore has 500 at bats they win again.

If that happens .Cherrington becomes Belichick 10 years ago of baseball. How good is this guy as GM.  ,Unbelievable actually, He's a winner. 

Sections
Shortcuts