Forget Ells, the real problem ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Forget Ells, the real problem ...

...  are those weak righty bats, especially Napoli and Pedroia with RISP.  Opposing lefty starters, no matter how bad their seasondepend rely on our weakness.  The White Sox took 2 of 3 starting three lefties.  Now Kazmir looks entirely two comfortable despite that ERA od 6.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Forget Ells, the real problem ...

DFA Ciriaco, let Holt have UI duties and put Brentz on the 40-man.. Hes got power from the right side. If anything just to give him a look while Vic is out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

...  are those weak righty bats, especially Napoli and Pedroia with RISP.  Opposing lefty starters, no matter how bad their seasondepend rely on our weakness.  The White Sox took 2 of 3 starting three lefties.  Now Kazmir looks entirely two comfortable despite that ERA od 6.

Nothing wrong with your post except that the facts don't agree.

Pedey is batting .333 overall and higher (.339) w/RISP.

Napoli is batting .262 overall and is also higher w/RISP at .283, which is respectable. His OPS w/RISP is .877, which is also higher than is season OPS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Meanwhile, with all these problems, they're 8-3 in the last 11 games with 62 runs scored.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Gomes and Middy have definately not produced and Naps power has gone south but we can't excuse a lefty like Ells either, he is really struggling. 

Like I said in notins thread, you have Carp to play against righties so play him.  Gomes going into today had 47 AB against lefties who he is supposed to hit but isn't.  He also had another 40 AB against righties who he has never hit?

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

Dustin the Bearded Midget, the 'Leader When Things are Goin' Good' had better figure out where his power went. 

He had 2 doubles today, including the game-winning hit.  He's got an OPS of .861.  Are you a Yankee fan, a troll or what?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Pedroia is having a terrific year, no question, but he is not the answer in the 3 slot even though he is currently the best answer available.  He would be much more valuable in the 2 slot, but only if the Sox had a really good bat, preferably a righty bat, for the 3 slot.  Pedroia has a solid OPS, the most hits on the team, the most games played, etc, etc, but he is only 4th in rbi's behind Napoli, Ortiz, and even Nava. 

And Napoli's rbi total is a little misleading.  He had a great April and four big rbi's on May 1, but since then has struggled to drive in runs. 

I started this thread because I think opposing managers realize they can send lefty starters against the Sox with impunity, and at least once the first lefty reliever after a left starter was used because the opposing manager saw how weak our righty bats are. 

Yesterday the Sox scored just 2 runs in 5 innings against a lefty starter.  They got the other four against Cleveland's bullpen, mostly righties, and two of them were the result of an incredible misplay by the Indians' leftfielder and SS. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

What's the difference between a 2-run single and a 2 run HR?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Just another runner on base otherwise equal

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Bill Buckner had a season with 16HRS and 110 rbi's.

Stop falling in love with HRS. Hitting in the clutch is more important.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Pedroia is having a terrific year, no question, but he is not the answer in the 3 slot even though he is currently the best answer available.  He would be much more valuable in the 2 slot, but only if the Sox had a really good bat, preferably a righty bat, for the 3 slot.  Pedroia has a solid OPS, the most hits on the team, the most games played, etc, etc, but he is only 4th in rbi's behind Napoli, Ortiz, and even Nava. 

I started this thread because I think opposing managers realize they can send lefty starters against the Sox with impunity, and at least once the first lefty reliever after a left starter was used because the opposing manager saw how weak our righty bats are.  

I wholeheartedly concur; in fact I wrote a thread on Pedroia in the 2 slot just recently.  At the risk of being accused of redundancy, please note the comparison in stats that support Pedroia in the 2 slot and Nava batting in the 3 slot.

Pedroia       196 AB,  .337 BA,  .422 OBP,  .439 SLG,  2 HR,  25 RBI

Nava           140 AB,  .300 BA,  .408 OBP,  .486 SLG,  6 HR,  31 RBI 

I submit that Nava, a switch hitter, offsets the lefty-righty issue, and is more apt to hit the long ball in the #3 slot than Pedroia.  This is no slam toward Pedey, but I just believe that he is a natural #2 hitter and would be even more productive in that spot.

Pedroia reminds me so much of Nellie Fox, second baseman for the White Sox, who had a 19-year career.   Just check out his stats in his prime years from 1951 through 1959. 

He too was the consummate #2 hitter.

www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/foxne01.shtml

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Three base

Is this a trick question?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'll rephrase this so it's easier for some to understand. Bottom of the Ninth 1-0 score, guy drives in 2 runs with a single, and another guy hits a 2 run HR, what will be final score. Will the team win in both situations.
    So all HR does is help the individual stat thats all. Single did the same job as the HR, for the team.
    Guess what happened today, single was just as effective as HR. What mattered was doing it in the clutch, and the team won.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

The difference is that after a two-run single you still have a runner on 1st who can possibly score on another double, whereas after a two-run homer you don't. 

Now, if you want to compare the value of a single vs a HR, each with two people on base, that's another story!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Considering the fact that Pedroia is T6 in the AL in Offensive WAR, I think he's actually doing pretty well.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Lester and Pedroia are two of the veteran players that managment should be busy working on extension offers.

Saved for future exposing the flip flopper.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I believe Lester still has an option for 2014. Id wait until the year is over, see how everything is at that point and go from there. I thnk a 4yr extension would be in order on top of 2014 where he would turn 34 in january of his last year. maybe a team option with buyout too. Pedey has another year and then an option, but his market value could go way up by then. Hes proved hes not a greedy guy already, but business wise, it would be smart to work out an extension after the season with him as well. a 4yr deal added to 2014 would mean he would turn 35 in august of his last year of the deal. Lock these 2 cornerstone players up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Funny how this thread has drifted away from the original topic, lack of good righty bats. 

Let me make it clear again, I think Pedroia is having a terrific year at bat and in the field.  He is indispensable to the lineup.  But the fact he is batting 3d underscores Farrell's dilemma. 

Yesterday's great win underscores the problem.  In the amazing 9th inning rally all the hits were by lefty bats--Ortiz, Drew, and Ellsbury.  Napoli once again went hitless in a game when hits were needed, and Gomes wasn't much better.  Best righty knock was probably Iglesias sac fly to deep left. 

That said, I think it is also fair to note this team has a terrific attitude, so I still like that thread about how Upton hitting dingers for Atlanta has "resulted" in wins for the Sox.  There is no connection of course, but the point is the Sox are winning without a solid righty bat (other than Pedroia).  Napoli was supposed to be one of those bats, but is mired in a slump.  Ditto Middlebrooks.  Ditto Gomes.  So lefty starters will continue to plague the Sox. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts