Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

As to Iggy's performance last night:

One swallow doesn't make a summer, but it could be a harbinger of spring!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Had to check in, couldn't stand it any longer.

Iglesias will win several GGs, that is evident, and that alone is a reason to keep him as the starting SS. If you watch him closely at the plate, you can see he is fundamentally sound in his swing mechanics and I feel that he will contribute offensively as well. He also has great speed and if he works on some bunting, chill be a great weapon to bunt for hits and squeeze when needed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Nice game by Iggy. Way happy for him after he hit that home run.

Short term memory who doesn't have a clue what SS defense talent is. Aviles is a bum, despite Valentine cheerleader session for one of his current players.

Iglesias doesn't have to hit to deserve the opening day active roster spot that Aviles did not deserve.

Pedroia, Ciriaco and Iglesais should be the middle infield for 2013. But, Cherry is incomptent and will probably keep the bum Aviles or chase the past of Tulo.

Why do you think I wouldn't be happy for Iggy to hit a home run?  All I said was I didn't think he should start this year and needed another year in AAA.  that doesn't mean I don't like him or wish him well.  Not everyone is insane like you are my friend.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

You are wrong and have a short memory. Iglesias didn't need another year of AAA, and AViles had no business being the Red Sox starting SS.

Either way that's what happened and it is impossible to say whether he needed another year at AAA or not.  He had one.  I said in the spring that I thought Iggy needed more time at AAA and should be the starting ss in 2013. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wanted Iggy to start this year. I want him to start next year.

But, to say Aviles is a bum and a poor fielder is total nonsense.

4th in RangeR (Jeter is again in last place- softy's a Jete apologist)

2nd in DPR (Jete is 3rd from last)

6th in UZR at +8.0 (Jete is last again at -13.4)

7th in UZR/150 at +9.5 (Jete last again at -15.9)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

Jose Iglesias should have the inside track to start at shortstop for the Red Sox next season, but it’s way too late to regret not having him there throughout 2012. Blaming Mike Aviles for the Red Sox finishing at or near the bottom of the AL East is way too harsh.

Unfortunately, it appears that Aviles might’ve played himself off the Red Sox roster and possibly out of the Majors due to his prolonged hitting problems after April and the Sox having several younger players available to replace him in Boston in 2013. He played better in the field in 2012 than most people expected, and he had a decent hitting month in August, but hitting well only in months that begin with the letter "A" probably won’t be enough to keep him in Boston, and could have him back in the Minors in 2013.

Can’t see the Red Sox offering Aviles an MLB contract for 2013, unless they low-ball an offer in arbitration and the arbitrator rules for the club, because they probably can’t afford to pay a utility infielder as much as or more than he earned in 2012. Not sure if he would accept a contract with Pawtucket for 2013, unless he finds no other offers with MLB teams. He may need to get with an organization that has some good hitting instructors to help him correct some bad habits at the plate, but he has proved he could be a decent utility infielder and he’s apparently a good teammate and a hard worker.

His trade value may not be very high. So the Red Sox could consider packaging Aviles with come other players and hope to get a good A-level or AA-level prospect in return.

Rumor was that Oakland claimed Aviles on waivers, but the Red Sox asked for too much in return, so the A’s added Stephen Drew from Arizona. Wonder if Seattle might consider taking Aviles and one or two of the Red Sox relievers in exchange for Patrick Kivlehan, a 4th round draft pick in 2012 who had played football in college at Rutgers, but was Big East Player of the Year in 2012 in his first season of college baseball. He had a decent season at Short-Season Class A Everett in the Northwest League (12 HR, 52 RBI, .883 OPS in 72 games, mostly at 3B.) Another Rutgers alum, Todd Frazier, has done pretty well for the Reds this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think the Red Sox need to decide if they are going to commit to Iglesias at SS. If they are they need to get Bogaerts playing some right field this winter, because we need Bogaerts' bat in Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Key2Delock's comment:

Jose Iglesias should have the inside track to start at shortstop for the Red Sox next season, but it’s way too late to regret not having him there throughout 2012. Blaming Mike Aviles for the Red Sox finishing at or near the bottom of the AL East is way too harsh.

Unfortunately, it appears that Aviles might’ve played himself off the Red Sox roster and possibly out of the Majors due to his prolonged hitting problems after April and the Sox having several younger players available to replace him in Boston in 2013. He played better in the field in 2012 than most people expected, and he had a decent hitting month in August, but hitting well only in months that begin with the letter "A" probably won’t be enough to keep him in Boston, and could have him back in the Minors in 2013.

Can’t see the Red Sox offering Aviles an MLB contract for 2013, unless they low-ball an offer in arbitration and the arbitrator rules for the club, because they probably can’t afford to pay a utility infielder as much as or more than he earned in 2012. Not sure if he would accept a contract with Pawtucket for 2013, unless he finds no other offers with MLB teams. He may need to get with an organization that has some good hitting instructors to help him correct some bad habits at the plate, but he has proved he could be a decent utility infielder and he’s apparently a good teammate and a hard worker.

His trade value may not be very high. So the Red Sox could consider packaging Aviles with come other players and hope to get a good A-level or AA-level prospect in return.

Rumor was that Oakland claimed Aviles on waivers, but the Red Sox asked for too much in return, so the A’s added Stephen Drew from Arizona. Wonder if Seattle might consider taking Aviles and one or two of the Red Sox relievers in exchange for Patrick Kivlehan, a 4th round draft pick in 2012 who had played football in college at Rutgers, but was Big East Player of the Year in 2012 in his first season of college baseball. He had a decent season at Short-Season Class A Everett in the Northwest League (12 HR, 52 RBI, .883 OPS in 72 games, mostly at 3B.) Another Rutgers alum, Todd Frazier, has done pretty well for the Reds this year.

Once again, a little perspective is needed. Although the SS position has become a more offensive position over the years, Aviles still ranks highly in many offensive categories among MLB SSs:

9th in HRs

12th in 2Bs

7th in RBIs

19th in OPS out of the top 33 is not that bad.

Also, he is currently 6th in the fielding component rating in WAR.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Player A 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 3 BB

Player B 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 1 BB

Tell me which player you'd prefer and why.

Are you for real?  We're not 4  year old kids, that's a stupid question.  Let me try, what would you prefer, $5 or $10 and tell me why?  Just make your point.

The reason for asking the question is to force people to think.

If the only reason for getting rid of Iggy is because he's had a bad week, then I assume you also wanted to get rid of pedroia.  It is stunningly stupid to want to get rid of a prospects because he had a bad week.

So now that he went 3-4 with a HR, should we sign him to an extensive?

I'm not sure I understand.....but there is no comparison between Iggy and Pedroia when it comes to hitting. I admit that I wanted Pedroia sent back to the minors when he had his bad start. I was wrong. I don't believe Iggy will ever be a decent ML hitter, he has no history of being a hitter. Pedroia hit well in college, in the minors and he is a good ML hitter.

The thing is, he isn't supposed to be Pedey.  If he developes into an average SS overall, at minimum wage, he is a great asset to us.  We'll never be good unless we can develop one insider for each outsider.

And, of course, we can't be sure he won't be another Pedey either.  How many thought Ozzie would be in the HOF?  When Vizquel had a .534 OPS in his first year, how many people thought he'd pass Babe Ruth in hits?

Here's another one for you-

Player A 59 PAs .204 avg -0- HRs 20/3 K/W .445 OPS

Player B 54 PAs .156 avg  1 HR 12/4 K/W .514 OPS

Player A is ARod.  So far, Iglesias is better than ARod for about the same number of PAs.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

moonslav59:

Understand the importance of perspective. Not saying that Mike Aviles has performed poorly. Just that from the end of April, when he was at or near the top of many hitting statistics for MLB shortstops, until now, his offensive stats have declined considerably.

No question that he could be a useful utility infielder somewhere in the Majors. He might even be a decent starter on a team that is loaded with power, is willing to sacrifice some on-base percentage from bottom-of-the-order hitters, and could use a steady, if not spectacular, fielder at short; but his salary and age might dictate where he’ll play in 2013.

If the Red Sox are going to begin rebuilding and will set 2014 as a target season for contending for the playoffs again, then I’m not sure that you can expect them to go with a shortstop who will be 32 next season, and who is not considered an All-Star or Gold Glove caliber player, especially when they have several younger players who would command a lower salary and who might be considered better risks for SS on a rebuilding team.

He has been a good soldier for a somewhat dreadful Red Sox team. He seems like a good guy. Hope he can land in a better situation next season. And if he winds up in Pawtucket as an insurance policy for the Red Sox, then that wouldn’t be so bad for the organization.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't think that Aviles is a bum. He is a solid utility player who has given a good account of himself.  However , Iglesias should be our shortstop.  I have no doubt about that.  Bogaerts looks like a future All Star, but he can be moved to first , third, left field or right field. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

OT: New to this site, so sorry about text of my previous posts having funky marks where apostrophes are supposed to appear.  Is there some magic code that allows an apostrophe to be inserted?  Any help?

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

One  good game with the bat and suddenly everyone says we need Iglesias as our shortstop.  Yes, he had one helluva night last evening but he is hitting 128---and he is going to have to show a lot more of this to claim such a spot.  Ciriaco is starting to fade but he does have a good bat, can play anywhere in the infield and could be a great utility man and occasional starter, but right now he is a better bet with the bat at short  than Iggy is.  Next year, barring unforseen circumstances, we have Middlebrooks and Pedroia solid at second and third.  We most certainly need a new first baseman because underachiever and no power Loney will never do, and SS is open.  If Iggy can show he can hit decently he has the inside track.  If not it is Ciriaco with Boegarts moving up fast.

I always hear that the old bromide that you can carry a weak bat in a strong lineup, but I never hear that those strong Red Sox lineups always seen to have two or three g uys having off years.  Keep in mind that even in 2007, our last World Series title year, we had Ortiz (332), Lowell (324) and Pedroia (317) all with big years.  However, Crisp was terrible, Lugo worse, Varitek fading badly, Ramirez decent but an off year for him, and Youk holding his own with an above average season but nothing spectacular.  A 200 hitter would not have been much help but rather a hindrance to that club.  Iglesias is going to have to show he can hit better than that if the Red Sox are going to risk the season on him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I think the Red Sox need to decide if they are going to commit to Iglesias at SS. If they are they need to get Bogaerts playing some right field this winter, because we need Bogaerts' bat in Boston.

You keep Boegarts at SS until he can't play there anymore.  There's no down side.  If both Iggy and Boegarts play great at SS, one will make a great trade chip.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I don't think that Aviles is a bum. He is a solid utility player who has given a good account of himself.  However , Iglesias should be our shortstop.  I have no doubt about that.  Bogaerts looks like a future All Star, but he can be moved to first , third, left field or right field. 

You also might be able to move Aviles in the winter.  We got Mortensen for Scutaro, and that worked out pretty well.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moonslav59:

Understand the importance of perspective. Not saying that Mike Aviles has performed poorly. Just that from the end of April, when he was at or near the top of many hitting statistics for MLB shortstops, until now, his offensive stats have declined considerably.

Almost every player has a big month. Almost every player has a poor month or two here and there. I've never been one to make definitive judgements based on either one or both. Of course I'd rather have a player who is very consistent, but I have never thought that it is a big negative for a player who gets his hits in bunches as long as overall, the numbers end up decent or better. 

No question that he could be a useful utility infielder somewhere in the Majors. He might even be a decent starter on a team that is loaded with power, is willing to sacrifice some on-base percentage from bottom-of-the-order hitters, and could use a steady, if not spectacular, fielder at short; but his salary and age might dictate where he’ll play in 2013.

As I have said, I think he will be traded this winter. I'd prefer to have Iggy even if Aviles was hitting a consistent .285 with a .315 OBP.

If the Red Sox are going to begin rebuilding and will set 2014 as a target season for contending for the playoffs again, then I’m not sure that you can expect them to go with a shortstop who will be 32 next season, and who is not considered an All-Star or Gold Glove caliber player, especially when they have several younger players who would command a lower salary and who might be considered better risks for SS on a rebuilding team.

Singing to the choir here.

He has been a good soldier for a somewhat dreadful Red Sox team. He seems like a good guy. Hope he can land in a better situation next season. And if he winds up in Pawtucket as an insurance policy for the Red Sox, then that wouldn’t be so bad for the organization.

He won't be in AAA even though he still has one option left.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

To say that Aviles isn't a bum and terrible fielder is pure nonsense.

Aviles is a bum, and needs to be put back in the dumpster he came out of. 

+1

softy also called Scoot a "bum" and "horrible fielder" before flip-flopping worse than Obama & Romney. 

Aviles is a better fielder than Scoot ever was. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

There are two reasons why you are 100% wrong. One is the comments, and evaluations, made by the people who have see and worked with him for the last two years. Second, and mor importantly, is the very little that I have seen of him the last two years. This kid wil make it BIG, and you can take that to the bank.

I could sit here and name All Stars, yes and HOF players, that progressed (that's the key word) in the vary same manner. He should (and probably will) be our shortstop next year.

Keep an open mind.

"You talkin' to me?"

• Sections
    Shortcuts