Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

Player A 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 3 BB

Player A 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 1 BB

Tell me which player you'd prefer and why.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Iglesias is only 22.  Much too soon to say that he will not hit.  He has improved after starting slowly at each level.  We should not give up on him already.

[/QUOTE]

Rafeal Furcal Went From A Ball To The Bigs In 2000, Braves............

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Jose Iglesias 14 33 2 2 1 0 0 0 3 10 1 .061 .205 .091

What happened to Softy singing Iggy's praises????

the Iggy mirage is sad!  Softy is pathetic!

:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Player B 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 1 BB

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ciriaco has a .299 OBP in over 3,500 minor league PAs, yet based on a small sample size this year, some here are annointing him our next FT SS. In an even smaller sample size, Iggy is struggling, and many are writing him off for good.

Folks, Iggy has less than 50 career ML PAs. He is 22. Nobody should be writing this guy off this early, just as nobody should be making definitive judgements on Ciriaco based on just over 220 PAs this year and a .315 OBP. 

Ciriaco has more PAs in September of this year than Iggy has in his ML career, and these were his September numbers before tonight:

.179/.220/.232/.452 in 61 PAs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

A post of reason moon

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am very hopeful that Ciriaco will improve, but we should but heavily count on or write off either of these two based on small sample sizes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]

Player B 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 1 BB

[/QUOTE]

Are you for real?  We're not 4  year old kids, that's a stupid question.  Let me try, what would you prefer, $5 or $10 and tell me why?  Just make your point.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If all of you people bashing me read my post, it says nothing about getting rid of him. But honestly, if you look at the SS position in the Red Sox system, how far behind Iglesias do you think Bogaerts is? I would argue that he would hit much better than Iglesias right now at the major league level. Secondly, they drafted Marrero. Why? Does a team need multiple shortstops?

Again, the guy has two hits in 36 AB's? He's hitting .050 or thereabouts. And again, someone please tell me how many balls he's hit out of the infield? I think it's anywhere between 2-4.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am very hopeful that Ciriaco will improve, but we should but heavily count on or write off either of these two based on small sample sizes.

Agreed, but do you want either as a starter next year?  I am guessing that based on other players who have made the jump, Bogaerts will be invited to Spring Training and he has a very good chance of being the starting SS, at worst in July. Machado seems to be holding his own.

moon - If you had to guess, who is the Red Sox starting SS on August 1 next year? My money is strongly on Bogaerts. Ciriaco will be one of the utility guys and Iglesias probably will be in Pawtucket again or traded as part of a package.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Player A 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 1 BB

[/QUOTE]

i'll take the one that won ROY, MVP, and WS ring

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

From one of the 42 scouts at the Red Sox/Rays game:

Another said of Iglesias, “He’s special. He really is. I felt this way at the start of the year and I feel the same way now: I think the Red Sox wasted a year with him. He should have been in the big leagues all along getting used to major league pitching, because he’s a magician with the glove.

“He does things out there that are highlight shows. He a lot faster and quicker than you think also.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Prediction: If the Sox get rid of Iglesias , they will wind up regretting it.  Those here who want him gone , will have to find some way to spin it.   This kid can play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

Prediction: If the Sox get rid of Iglesias , they will wind up regretting it.  Those here who want him gone , will have to find some way to spin it.   This kid can play.

[/QUOTE]   Im with you Denny  !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]   Im with you Denny  !!!!
    Thanks, Bill.

[/QUOTE]

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It really is fair to give up on Ciriaco, at least as a starter.  He's had a great run (relatively speaking) in 226 PAs, but it's naive to think that's a better snapshot of his abilities going forward than his 3500 minor-leage PAs.  He's fun to watch, and could be our fourth infielder, and favorite pinch-runner, but he shouldn't be a part of anybody's long-term plans.  

Iglesias is four years younger than Ciriaco, is much better defensively, and has a higher career OBP in the minors (in 30% of the PAs).  You can't give up on him yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Secondly, they drafted Marrero. Why? Does a team need multiple shortstops?

Very often, SSs are moved to other positions ny the time they reach MLB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon - If you had to guess, who is the Red Sox starting SS on August 1 next year? My money is strongly on Bogaerts. Ciriaco will be one of the utility guys and Iglesias probably will be in Pawtucket again or traded as part of a package.

My guess is Bogaerts might get a look in September, so he keeps the arb clock from ticking.

I think Iggy will be the near FT SS on 8/1/13.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Secondly, they drafted Marrero. Why? Does a team need multiple shortstops?

Very often, SSs are moved to other positions ny the time they reach MLB.

I think it's more that the Sox draft the players with the highest value - starting pitchers, catchers and shortstops have the highest value.  If we have talented prospects knocking on the door at these positions, but are blocked, they can easily be traded to other teams for the pieces we need.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

<code>

My guess is Bogaerts might get a look in September, so he keeps the arb clock from ticking.

</code>

If Iggy is our FT SS, Pawtucket will be clear for Bogaerts.  If he's lighting it up, I wouldn't expect the Sox to wait long to bring him up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

</code>

If Iggy is our FT SS, Pawtucket will be clear for Bogaerts.  If he's lighting it up, I wouldn't expect the Sox to wait long to bring him up.

Since we wont be in a serious playoff run next year, I still think we hold off on the arb clock with Bogaerts.

I think it's more that the Sox draft the players with the highest value - starting pitchers, catchers and shortstops have the highest value.  If we have talented prospects knocking on the door at these positions, but are blocked, they can easily be traded to other teams for the pieces we need.

True, and there is a reason SSs get drafted so often: usually the best player or athelete on a team plays SS, even if he is not a good enough fielder to be ML quality, he still is the best IF'er on his team. It is also a position of great stature in HS and college, as well it should be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bogaerts ends up at 3B, 2B or even 1B (he is a tall guy). However, if Iggy, Ciriaco or any of the other several SS prospects we have don't show they can be a quality ML SS, Bogaerts may end up there anyways.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he needs to stay in mlb, not AAA....he is wasting time in the minors....either u hit or u dont....this is why i wanted him on the roster all yr...another wasted year of development due to sox policy of yanking prospects like yoyos and not letting stay on the roster til their 25