Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Globe this morning said that despite Avilles wanting to play that the Sox want to take a good, long look at Iglesias. It sounds reasonable to me. however if ADG wants to turn it into a forum pizzing contest then that is his right.

Fenway Jimmy - Why did you change your name from JimFromFlorida. You read like that poster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Globe this morning said that despite Avilles wanting to play that the Sox want to take a good, long look at Iglesias. It sounds reasonable to me. however if ADG wants to turn it into a forum pizzing contest then that is his right.

Fenway Jimmy - Why did you change your name from JimFromFlorida. You read like that poster.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I enjoy watching him play SS and there aren't many other reasons to tune in these days. Hopefully he get some hits and feel better about himself this winter. I'm not going to paint myself into a corner and make any authoritative statements about next year.

[/QUOTE]

Good!!  You like to see him play shortstop and more power to you.  You have that right.  I don't happen to like the way he doesn't hit and that is my perogotive.  As for predictions we are all allowed to make them.  Whether they turn out true or not the value is if that prediction turns out to be wrong  the guy who made it is obligated if he has any class at all to issue a mea culpa and admit he was wrong.  If Iggy shows he can hit I will be more than happy to admit I was all wet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

moon - If you had to guess, who is the Red Sox starting SS on August 1 next year? My money is strongly on Bogaerts. Ciriaco will be one of the utility guys and Iglesias probably will be in Pawtucket again or traded as part of a package.

My guess is Bogaerts might get a look in September, so he keeps the arb clock from ticking.

I think Iggy will be the near FT SS on 8/1/13.

If Iggy is our FT SS, Pawtucket will be clear for Bogaerts.  If he's lighting it up, I wouldn't expect the Sox to wait long to bring him up.

Since we wont be in a serious playoff run next year, I still think we hold off on the arb clock with Bogaerts.

I think it's more that the Sox draft the players with the highest value - starting pitchers, catchers and shortstops have the highest value.  If we have talented prospects knocking on the door at these positions, but are blocked, they can easily be traded to other teams for the pieces we need.

True, and there is a reason SSs get drafted so often: usually the best player or athelete on a team plays SS, even if he is not a good enough fielder to be ML quality, he still is the best IF'er on his team. It is also a position of great stature in HS and college, as well it should be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bogaerts ends up at 3B, 2B or even 1B (he is a tall guy). However, if Iggy, Ciriaco or any of the other several SS prospects we have don't show they can be a quality ML SS, Bogaerts may end up there anyways.

I don't think we should give up on 2013 - the A's, White Sox and Orioles all looked like unlikely contenders at the start of the year.  If we add a Jake Peavy to the rotation, and have a few guys bounce back to career norms, we'll be in the hunt.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

I enjoy watching him play SS and there aren't many other reasons to tune in these days. Hopefully he get some hits and feel better about himself this winter. I'm not going to paint myself into a corner and make any authoritative statements about next year.

[/QUOTE]

I will tell you what: at most I would give him one more year to show some improvement. So far he has been offensively insipid. Since next year is a rebuilding year anyway, thats the time for him to show that he fits in. If not, I would jettison him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I will tell you what: at most I would give him one more year to show some improvement. So far he has been offensively insipid. Since next year is a rebuilding year anyway, thats the time for him to show that he fits in. If not, I would jettison him.

[/QUOTE]

He is only 22 years old.  A defensive wizard.  He has only had 35 at bats.  You want to give him one last chance ?  I think a little more patience is needed here.  He has adapted at every level so far.  I think he will become at least a .250 hitter in MLB. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is only 22 years old.  A defensive wizard.  He has only had 35 at bats.  You want to give him one last chance ?  I think a little more patience is needed here.  He has adapted at every level so far.  I think he will become at least a .250 hitter in MLB. 

[/QUOTE]

Not one more chance, one more YEAR. If he still cannot show any signs of improving then yeah, I would jettison him. We should be aiming to compete for the playoffs in 2014.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not one more chance, one more YEAR. If he still cannot show any signs of improving then yeah, I would jettison him. We should be aiming to compete for the playoffs in 2014.

[/QUOTE]

How good does he have to be?  I keep going back to Omar Vizquel - he didn't post an OBP over .302 until he was 25, but he kept taking the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

How good does he have to be? I keep going back to Omar Vizquel - he didn't post an OBP over .302 until he was 25, but he kept taking the field.

Improved. Thats all. I don't expect him to bat .280, but I want to see him better than he is now.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Tough to see if he is improved unless you play him and that is what Cherrington is telling BV to do. By the way has anyone here complimented Ben for getting Ciriaco last winter? Has anyone now realized that Baily is good and that the trade for him just might work out?  Some of the forum bozos were saying that the trade was terrible because Reddick was healthy and playing and Baily was injured, how intelligent is that? Give me a break.

[/QUOTE]

Bailey will probably work out fine IF he can stay healthy. I was never a critic of that trade. There was, at the time, no place for Reddick here. And you are right: Iggy is going to have to play to show us what he can do, both now, in ST, and next year. If he fails then I would try to trade him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That's pretty fair I think. It could be a pretty interesting experiment, because Iglesias could really be your defensive stud on the field.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think we should give up on 2013 - the A's, White Sox and Orioles all looked like unlikely contenders at the start of the year.  If we add a Jake Peavy to the rotation, and have a few guys bounce back to career norms, we'll be in the hunt.  

Every move I have suggested, save trading Ellsbury for prospects is about helping us in 2014 and beyond, however, they will also help in 2013 as well. I do think we coulkd be competitive in 2013, but not a "serious" one. Plus, the prospects we'd get for Ellsbury could be flipped and added to for a nice starter or a solid RH'd power bat that can help us in 2013 and beyond.

Since this team is going to count on young players to contribute, my guess is we should have a better shot in 2014 than 2013, but then again, I thought the same about 1975 and 1976 as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's pretty fair I think. It couldbe a pretty interesting experiment, because Iglesias could really be your defensive stud on the field.

[/QUOTE]

If the final production is in the neighborhood of an OPS around .720 or so I would take it. Not under .700 though. He is now hitting .083. He has to do better to be on a contending team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

People that didn't know Bailey was a good closer were, and are, hilarious.

As far as Iggy goes, yes he may end up being able to hit 250. He may be able to do that next year.  Until he can actually hit 250 it's just conjecture. When he can then maybe he will have value.  Right now he doesn't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have seen all of Iglesias' at bats this year. He has had some pretty good swings, without any luck.  The kid is an athlete , with quick hands and reflexes. There is no reason why he can't become at least a decent , bottom of the order hitter.  Maybe more than that. It would be a mistake to give up on him.  Bogaerts will move to another position.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

They shouldn't give up on him.  Give him the job next year, fine with me.

With that said if its' the end of May and he is hitting 160 everyone in Boston is going to be calling for his head.

Because that's how it goes around here.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I have seen all of Iglesias' at bats this year. He has had some pretty good swings, without any luck.  The kid is an athlete , with quick hands and reflexes. There is no reason why he can't become at least a decent , bottom of the order hitter.  Maybe more than that. It would be a mistake to give up on him.  Bogaerts will move to another position.
    Right Field might be Bogaerts' best position in Boston if Iglesias sticks at shortstop. I say that only because Bogaerts has such an excellent arm.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They shouldn't give up on him.  Give him the job next year, fine with me.

With that said if its' the end of May and he is hitting 160 everyone in Boston is going to be calling for his head.

Because that's how it goes around here.  

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but some fans will realize what next year is all about. Its not going to be about competing for a ring, thats nearly a certainty. Its going to be about trying to make a team that can compete for 2014. If he is hitting .260  in August then everyone should be calling for his head.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

I can live with Ciriaco or Iglesias hitting .260.

[/QUOTE]

That was a typo...I mean .160. If he is down there next Aug then its time to give up on him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That was a typo...I mean .160. If he is down there next Aug then its time to give up on him.
    He probably won't be. He has pretty quick hands and he'll eventually catch up to major league fastballs. I think .260 is a lot more likely for Iglesias than .160.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He probably won't be. He has pretty quick hands and he'll eventually catch up to major league fastballs. I think .260 is a lot more likely for Iglesias than .160.

[/QUOTE]

I can live with him hitting .260 and an OPS around .720. Part of the problem is with him being blown away by ML fastballs; another part, from what I have seen, is plate discipline.

Sections
Shortcuts