Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

Maybe Iggy simply can't hit lousy pitching. He's 2-for-2 so far against Price. Go figure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Although there is a lot of promise here, and is seems like a few people here have hopes that all will suceed, it still would be a AAA line-up (at least for 2013):

C   Lavarnway/Swihart

1B Bogaerts/Shaw

DH Gomez/Sands

2B Ciriaco/DeJesus

3B Middlebrooks/Valencia

SS Iglesias/Marrero/Vinicio

LF Linares/Nava

CF Bradley/Lin

RF Brentz/Kalsih

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Although there is a lot of promise here, and is seems like a few people here have hopes that all will suceed, it still would be a AAA line-up (at least for 2013):

C   Lavarnway/Swihart

1B Bogaerts/Shaw

DH Gomez/Sands

2B Ciriaco/DeJesus

3B Middlebrooks/Valencia

SS Iglesias/Marrero/Vinicio

LF Linares/Nava

CF Bradley/Lin

RF Brentz/Kalsih

First of all, I'd put Linares in right as he probably has the best arm of your outfielders outside of maybe Bradley. I'm fine with Iglesias at SS until Bogaerts starts destroying AAA pitching. I'm just hoping Iglesias can play up his value before Bogaerts forces Ben's hand. Call me a rose colored glasses Sawx fan, but I believe Bradley and Bogaerts both have sure thing tattoed on their bums or something. As for Barnes, I'm not so sure, and Brentz will need to show something in Pawtucket beyond a September hot streak before I'm sold on him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And when did I ever say I didn't like Salty? Does anyone else miss edit?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:

I don't really miss EDIT.

I sometimes miss ignore though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

And when did I ever say I didn't like Salty? Does anyone else miss edit?

When did anyone say you said you didn't like Salty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:

When did anyone say you said you didn't like Salty.
    Oversensitive I guess. :(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

I know it's only 33 MLB at bats, but he's had enough at the minor league level where this guy will not hit major league pitching. I've seen the comparisons to Mark Belanger, but Belanger his .220 and above. This guy is the worst hitter I have seen since I started watching baseball in 1967.

The good thing is the Red Sox have been able to evaluate him down the stretch and should have a good idea of where he stands for next year.

When Belanger was Iglesias age, he had a career OPS of .409.   OPS.  Four Oh Nine.

Also, if fans are going to repeatedly compare Iglesias to no-hit Belanger, shouldn't they quantify it somehow by stating Belanger did play in the World Series four times and therefore did not drag his team all the way down?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias three for tonight, with a long fly. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Iglesias three for tonight, with a long fly. 

He's juicin'. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Player A 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 3 BB

Player B 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 1 BB

Tell me which player you'd prefer and why.

Are you for real?  We're not 4  year old kids, that's a stupid question.  Let me try, what would you prefer, $5 or $10 and tell me why?  Just make your point.

The reason for asking the question is to force people to think.

If the only reason for getting rid of Iggy is because he's had a bad week, then I assume you also wanted to get rid of pedroia.  It is stunningly stupid to want to get rid of a prospects because he had a bad week.

So now that he went 3-4 with a HR, should we sign him to an extensive?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Nice game by Iggy. Way happy for him after he hit that home run.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:

It is best to read all of the posts and threads that are started by ADG over the months and then decide whether he is a Red Sox fan.

If you did that with everyone on this board not too many would look like Sox fans this year...

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Nice game by Iggy. Way happy for him after he hit that home run.

Short term memory who doesn't have a clue what SS defense talent is. Aviles is a bum, despite Valentine cheerleader session for one of his current players.

Iglesias doesn't have to hit to deserve the opening day active roster spot that Aviles did not deserve.

Pedroia, Ciriaco and Iglesais should be the middle infield for 2013. But, Cherry is incomptent and will probably keep the bum Aviles or chase the past of Tulo.

You seriously hate the Red Sox yeah?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Like Ive stated before, Iggy is only 22 and was starting to show signs in Aug in Pawtucket that he was "getting it" offensively. This was only one game, but it was against one of the best pitchers in the league. Does he hit better against LHP no matter what the skill level? maybe, most RHH do.

Either way, I believe Iggy can have a decent average in MLB and also learn to recognize off-speed pitches and lay off of them a little better.

He could be a .260avg, .320obp, around low 700 Ops guy with GG defense. that certainly wouldnt kill this offense...

• This post has been removed.

Never said he had to, just stated I think he can...

I need an edit button again...I read it wrong.. I though you said ave not obp. my bad.

But i do think he can and will have a 320+ obp

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Yazzer is now WallyisDead. Banned again."

That you pikey? Fenway Jimmy seems a lot like our pike!

"Iglesias doesn't have to hit to deserve the opening day active roster spot"

Right because runs scored isn't that important, it's all about pitching and defense. Hypocrite much? Seriously, I'd love to  hear your explanation on why pitching isn't important but someone who can fetch a ball that went past the pitcher is. I'm sure you will be able to come up with something really fascinating to explain the absurdity of that position. 

As for Iggy, I don't think you can give up on him. I'd say keep  playing him but tell Bobby V he doesn't get to jerk him in the middle of an at-bat in a meaningless game (thanks Bobby!)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Looked goooood last night...... A winter of extra work/instruction/strength wil pay big dividends !!  The Kid can flat out flash the leather !!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Player A 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 3 BB

Player B 4-39, 3 singles, a double and 1 BB

Tell me which player you'd prefer and why.

Are you for real?  We're not 4  year old kids, that's a stupid question.  Let me try, what would you prefer, $5 or $10 and tell me why?  Just make your point.

The reason for asking the question is to force people to think.

If the only reason for getting rid of Iggy is because he's had a bad week, then I assume you also wanted to get rid of pedroia.  It is stunningly stupid to want to get rid of a prospects because he had a bad week.

So now that he went 3-4 with a HR, should we sign him to an extensive?

I'm not sure I understand.....but there is no comparison between Iggy and Pedroia when it comes to hitting. I admit that I wanted Pedroia sent back to the minors when he had his bad start. I was wrong. I don't believe Iggy will ever be a decent ML hitter, he has no history of being a hitter. Pedroia hit well in college, in the minors and he is a good ML hitter.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He doesn't have to have a .270 OBP, like Aviles, to be starting SS material in MLB.

Iglesias and Ciriaco are showing what a joke it was to carry Aviles all season long. Now, both CBA and talent and fit say it's time to stick Aviles back in his dumpster.

Mike's OBP is .281 not .270. His career OBP is over .300 not .270. You can tell us what his "median average" is, but I bet it is nt .270.

Aviles turned out to be a better than decent fielder with more range than I expected. He did better in the field than the guy you bashed, then praised- Scutaro did in his 2 years here. 

No, Aviles is not the answer at SS, but there is no need to lie about his numbers to make your point- which is valaid, and I actually agree with.

A middle IF or Iggy, Ciriaco & Pedey will be fine next year as we await the develoment of Bogaerts, and the determination of which position he is best suited for.

Aviles will be traded this offseason. I give it a 90% chance.  If he does return, it will be as our utility IF'er. I know your idea of a good utility IF'er is to be great on defense, and that is the traditional sterotype, but if we do have Iggy, Chriaco, Pedey and Middlebrooks on the 25 man roster, there aren't many defensive utility players that you'd want to replace these guys with late in a game- more likely, we would want to PH for Iggy late in a game, and I suppose Aviles could be a candidate for that since he could then play the position capably after PH'ing.

As I said last spring, if Iggy can save 50-75 hits over the average MLB SS, we shouldn't worry about even a .250 OBP (or less).

• Sections
    Shortcuts