Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

Guys take time to develop, if we only went for immediate results we probably would have traded pedey several years ago for a bullpen arm that would no longer be wih us.  Iggy would not be too age advanced if he was still in AA, he needs time and his defense is an asset NOW......and it's not like we are competing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

What's important is to demonise players for underperforming plus aggressively abuse them for deliberately performing badly.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Iglesias' last 7 games:

1 for 23, 0R, 0 RBI, 0 BB, 6K

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

23 ABs does not make a player good or bad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How many 22 year olds can hit at the MLB level? he showed improvement at AAA this year, and there is no reason to doubt he can improve more.  Even if he can become a .260 hitter I would be happy with his defense. 

All he has to do is become a good contact hitter, which he has the mechanics and hands for.  I see him easily hitting the ball enough to be a decent hitter with his speed.  He will not hurt us in the #9 hole

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Pedey's first full year he hit .182 in April/March and he was TWO!! years older than Iggy is now.  We gave him a chance and look at the dividends.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

23 ABs does not make a player good or bad.

Correct, but don't you think there would be an RBI, an extra base hit sprinkled in there?

He's up to 70AB's and yes, fantastic glove, but I haven't seen anything in his AB's that have shown me he will be able to hit. He can get stronger, but all scouts say that will take away from his fielding.

I may eat crow next spring, but I haven't seen anything yet and as good as his glove is, he's an automatic out when he comes up. 

Depending on who's pitching and how good of a hitter he is, they could always DH for Iggy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Depending on who's pitching and how good of a hitter he is, they could always DH for Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

hahahaha.  they should do this tonight.

Dice-K hits better than he pitches.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Pedey's first full year he hit .182 in April/March and he was TWO!! years older than Iggy is now.  We gave him a chance and look at the dividends.

True, Hugh, but Pedroia had a history of hitting at every level.  At Iggy's age (22) in AAA his OPS was .810 vs .624 for Iggy.  Overall MiLB OPS though age 22:  .844 vs .626.

Also, Pedroia's slow start in 2007 was an OPS of .518 from 68 PAs in 21 games from 2 April to 1 May.  He started hitting in the next game on 3 May (and never stopped).  Even that poor performance dwarfs Iggy's .402 from 74 PAs over 24 games.

Of course, both are small sample sizes...but one of them had always hit well, and the other has always hit poorly.

I'm not prepared to write Iggy off at this point....but I don't think he's even close to being ready to play with the big boys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think they should start him next year and let him learn while hes here. This team should be able to make up for his weak bat. There is nobody ready in the minors, Bogaerts and Marrero being the closest. At least Iggy will save a bunch of runs to partially make up for his lack of offense. And who knows, come may or June he could surprise is a little...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

True, Hugh, but Pedroia had a history of hitting at every level.  At Iggy's age (22) in AAA his OPS was .810 vs .624 for Iggy.  Overall MiLB OPS though age 22:  .844 vs .626.

Also, Pedroia's slow start in 2007 was an OPS of .518 from 68 PAs in 21 games from 2 April to 1 May.  He started hitting in the next game on 3 May (and never stopped).  Even that poor performance dwarfs Iggy's .402 from 74 PAs over 24 games.

Of course, both are small sample sizes...but one of them had always hit well, and the other has always hit poorly.

I'm not prepared to write Iggy off at this point....but I don't think he's even close to being ready to play with the big boys.

I'm not trying to exactly compare Iggy to Pedrioa, maybe more out of a sense of perception.  I don't think anyone expects Iggy to hit as well as Pedey.  I'm merely trying to point out that Iggy is still very young.  Even prospects who are projected out for the offensive production are normally in AA Myabe AAA at this stage in their careers. Defensively he is there, but I think if you throw him in there we will see what he can do by the end of next season.

Also Pedey got better because we stuck with him,  It's hard to say but is it hard to imagine how things might of turned out differently if we got frustrated and sent him down in the summer of 2007, who knows how that would have effected his career.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

A better benchmark might be Mark Belanger.  His career MiLB OPS was .656 (he was promoted after his age 22 season) and his career MLB OPS was .580.  That's terrible, and it was only that high because he walked a fair bit (.228 BA, .300 OBP, .280 SLG).

Iggy's career MiLB OPS is .626 after his age 22 season.....

I hope I'm wrong and will happily admit to being so in the extremely unlikely case Iggy learns to hit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

Rebuilding at Short Starts in Spring Training 2013

The Jose Iglesias 2012 Experiment ends tonight with no evidence that he's capable of hitting Major League pitching. We'll never know whether it would have been beneficial to keep him in the Majors with the Red Sox for the entire 2012 season.

It may be presumptuous to expect the Red Sox to go from worst to first or even to the playoffs next season. So, as hard it will be to suffer through it, let the rebuilding process begin.

They apparently have no plans to keep Mike Aviles, though it’s uncertain how low they’ll go in accepting any trade compensation for him before they would have to just release him, instead of risking an arbitration-based salary that might be too high for an infielder who won't be a starter. So, barring any trades for a starting shortstop, next Spring Training will determine whether Jose Iglesias, Pedro Ciriaco or Xander Bogaerts will be the next Red Sox Opening Day starter at short. And that might be only for the short term; but it just appears that we may have to live with that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to judy2006's comment:

His hands are magic. He hit in the minors, 350 Lowell, 285 in Portland, 266 in Paw..the skill set is there, he isn't going to lose it...he just needs to get the mental part of the game going. Bobby V didn't help that.  He's adjusted at every level even though he was rushed thru the system. I really don't even care if he hits, watching him field is fun.

Yes i do agree. His hands are like magic..... When he bats his hands disappear.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If played a full season, Iggy would be on pace for 50 defensive runs saved.  So yeah, he is for real.  Even if you don't subscribe to defensive metrics you can use your eyes to see how much value this kid adds in the field. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Rey Ordonez.

ask Metropolitans fans how excruciating it was to have a "defensive" ss....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

Re: TrotterNixon's Cruel Meme of Calling People Bums

Enough already with your player bashing. It's apparent that Iglesias and Ciriaco will have the edge at winning the starting SS position when the Red Sox return to Spring Training. You probably won't have Mike Aviles to kick around anymore.

What pleasure can you get from criticizing a good soldier who might not have performed as well as his April statistics suggested he might?  Mike Aviles stayed healthy all season, except for a few games in late July and early August. Though he suffered through the worst hitting slump of his Major League career during September, until the All Star break, he was among the leaders for Major League shortstops in several offensive statistics, and his defense was respectable, even though not at the level of Ozzie Smith or Jose Iglesias. He never looked like the player whom TrotterNixon Nation might have expected to be the worst starting shortstop in the history of the galaxy.

Nevertheless, you may have a point in hinitng that he'd be suited for the Minors.  If Aviles were given the chance to spend next season at Pawtucket to try to recover some of the hitting skills he displayed as a rookie in Kansas City and during April of 2012, learn how to draw more walks, and maintain fairly steady fielding skills, he may have better trade value at next year's trade deadline than he has now.

I understand that he's eligible for arbitration, so he might have to be released, if the Red Sox aren't going to offer him a contract for 2013.  But if he can't get any other invitations to a Major League Spring Training Camp for 2013, I would see nothing wrong in offering him a contract with Pawtucket and some incentives to get back to his 2012 salary if he can return to the Majors and improve on his 2012 stats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lavanway is the one can't hit (or catch). Iglesias will save more games than aby other player will win with his bat. He's a kid! He'll come back next year, and he'll win this job with ease!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If Iggy can hit 220 he will be the best thing the RS have had at SS since Nomar.

If he hits 220 like Mark Belanger did in Balt. I'll be damn happy. Belanger's ability to play SS allowed the O's to never worry about SS and the pitchers knew he would save more runs than any other SS allowing the pitchers to pitch and not worry about defense.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

If Iggy can hit 220 he will be the best thing the RS have had at SS since Nomar.

If he hits 220 like Mark Belanger did in Balt. I'll be damn happy. Belanger's ability to play SS allowed the O's to never worry about SS and the pitchers knew he would save more runs than any other SS allowing the pitchers to pitch and not worry about defense.

Give your head a shake

I did OK what do you mean? Where am I wrong

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

What about .220 with no walks and no power?  I doubt he's capable of even that little offense.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

I haven't seen him play yet. Pedroia was pretty bad when he was called up in 2006 and the first 6 weeks of 2007. But I think Pedroia was a better hitter in AAA, numbers wise. Is there any reason to think Iglesias is going to hit once he adjusts to MLB?

Sections
Shortcuts