Forget Stanton, primary need @ 3B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Forget Stanton, primary need @ 3B

Here's a thought, the Rangers would probably love to get some of the Sox young prospects, but would the Sox want Beltre back to play 3B.

First, let's acknowledge that Beltre will be 36 years-old next Spring.  However, is it unreasonable to expect similar production from Beltre in 2015 to that which he's done this year for the Rangers, 17 homers and 69 RBI at this point in the year, and is currently third in the AL with a .323 batting average and seventh with an .874 OPS.

And here's what reportedly his contract calls for: 2015: $18 million, 2016: $16 million vesting option.

Imagine for the moment what his presence in the lineup would mean.

Betts CF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Cespedes LF, Napoli 1B, Beltre 3B, Bogearts SS, Castillo RF, Vazquez C.

This in my mind would be a daunting lineup.

The interesting two questions, are Rangers ready to get out from under this contract, and would the Sox be willing to 'pony' up.

Awright guys and gals, fire away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Free-UB. Show Free-UB's posts

Re: Forget Stanton, primary need @ 3B

presuming we get Stanton, y would we need beltre.. mr. dell is outta here..3 instant candidates as GC and others develop are holt, Rumsey and CRAIG! figure in a week, we'll have both pedey and Rumsey and up with us at full strength.. cant have them sitting for middy. could have betts in LF, but y not at 3rd. cant mess with boegs going forward.. some1 said his arm wasn't strong enough.. methinks its RUMSEY for the rest of the year. he's likely a better CF right now than betts but lets see if he can play mlb 3rd base.. he's most needed there... will keep betts as CF going forward.. unless we get Stanton! wont trade him straight up for Stanton.. I kid! that's the exception! bno need for beltre! sox could also get yasmani Thomas! stay tuned, will b a great  summer.. only certainty is mr. dell wont b the opening day 3rd baseman.. will trade him for another team's similarly-based underachiever who plays catcher, pitcher or another infield position..

craig has essentially taken gomes' spot with more range and a better gun for RF.. once Rumsey is ready and u put betts at LF and cespy in RF, there will b no room for craigy! y not put him everyday at third and lets c what we've got! that will b his only shot to play everyday or regularly going forward. with power such a premium, not trading NAPOLI!

"Freedom to be = less THEISM, more SEX AND startup CAPITALISM....while speaking truth to power, jabronis +blind traditions!

@Free_UB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Even as much as I love Beltre, trading top prospects (because Texas won't let him go cheap...why should they?) for a 36 year-old seems like asking for trouble. I would be fine with Sandoval or even Headley (1 yr rebound candidate) at third base if Xander is staying at short.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I agree we need a plan at 3B going into the 2015 ST.  I think WMB had his chances.  But I don't see Sox giving up our top prospects for elite expensive 3B.  First Bogey always can be shifted to 3B if team feels that's the right move for the team.  Second, Holt could be still around and you know what he's capable of.  Third, we have Cecchini in AAA and he spent enough time there I think.  He didn't have the season many hoped he would but he's been red hot lately and put up solid OBP this season.  Sox have few options besides WMB that might not lead to getting elite 3B in the league giving up 2-3 top prospects.  And also, they might be using some of our prospects for top of rotation guy in the OS.

"There is no try.  Do or Don't"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even as much as I love Beltre, trading top prospects (because Texas won't let him go cheap...why should they?) for a 36 year-old seems like asking for trouble. I would be fine with Sandoval or even Headley (1 yr rebound candidate) at third base if Xander is staying at short.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd go with Sandoval also.  I've always been a fan of Beltre, even while some of our posters were bashing his acquisition, but-

1-He's missed some games this year.  Not a lot, but at his age, it usually doesn't get better (disclaimer-I did not check what type of injury).

2-This year, he has some H/A splits.  Not bad, but I don't want to buy Arlington stats.

3-There is only one lefty in that lineup.  The first two issues aren't big, but combined with this being a very RH-centric lineup, I'd prefer to a lefty bat somewhere.  

Sandoval has a .852 v lefties for his career.  

Headley also has some interesting stats with a .705/.799 H/A split.  He's declined, but might still be a buy-low candidate.  

Hanley is intriguing,but never stays on the field.  But on a flat one-year contract, maybe.  If there were no prohibition against a QO, there is a very reasonably chance we could sign him for a year, offer him a QO, and net something at the end.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

that ship (beltre) has sailed.  Stanton can cover a lot of warts.....

other names i have posted under:  none

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I like Stanton well enough, but 3B is a much deeper hole for us than the OF is.  As it stands today, and I have no idea what Ben has in mind, but our starting OF in 2015 is?

Seriously, I had to stop because I can't even figure it out.  Off the top of my head-

• Betts
    • Castillo
    • Cespedes
    • Vic
    • Nava
    • Craig
    • JBJ

We could trade Vic and eat most of his salary, leave JBJ in AAA to develop, and Craig would still be our #5 outfielder.  I'd be more open to Stanton in 2016.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Well put, Joe.  We currently have seven OF's not including Holt that could be combined into a very serviceable OF for 2015 but we have no idea who's going to be playing 3B.  In my mind that would make 3B a higher priority than getting Stanton to play in the OF. I know that Stanton is a beast, but we still have to fill the team's needs first.  

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's a thought, the Rangers would probably love to get some of the Sox young prospects, but would the Sox want Beltre back to play 3B.

First, let's acknowledge that Beltre will be 36 years-old next Spring.  However, is it unreasonable to expect similar production from Beltre in 2015 to that which he's done this year for the Rangers, 17 homers and 69 RBI at this point in the year, and is currently third in the AL with a .323 batting average and seventh with an .874 OPS.

And here's what reportedly his contract calls for: 2015: $18 million, 2016: $16 million vesting option.

Imagine for the moment what his presence in the lineup would mean.

Betts CF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Cespedes LF, Napoli 1B, Beltre 3B, Bogearts SS, Castillo RF, Vazquez C.

This in my mind would be a daunting lineup.

The interesting two questions, are Rangers ready to get out from under this contract, and would the Sox be willing to 'pony' up.

Awright guys and gals, fire away.

[/QUOTE]

Here's a thought .....Betts....... might just happen

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

It will probably be Holt at 3rd base next year. It's really the only hole open. Betts, with his speed, is too valuable in the outfield. All this pre-supposes that Castillo will not be a flop, and that Cecchini doesn't show up looking like the new Brooks Robinson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I like Stanton well enough, but 3B is a much deeper hole for us than the OF is.  As it stands today, and I have no idea what Ben has in mind, but our starting OF in 2015 is?

Seriously, I had to stop because I can't even figure it out.  Off the top of my head-

• Betts
    • Castillo
    • Cespedes
    • Vic
    • Nava
    • Craig
    • JBJ

We could trade Vic and eat most of his salary, leave JBJ in AAA to develop, and Craig would still be our #5 outfielder.  I'd be more open to Stanton in 2016.

[/QUOTE]

Vic and JBJ are probably gone long before spring training. Craig is the biggest ? mark. I wouldn't hold your breath on him, either. Nava's the almost perfect 4th outfielder. Gets about 3 starts a week, pinch hit, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

i would be shocked if Castillo sees much time in the majors next season.

he'll either struggle too much in the spring to start with the club, or, if they push the issue and he does start with the club, he'll struggle too much in the regular season and they'll send him down. he'll be in AAA most of next year.

Craig is not a good defensive outfielder, hopefully he can be serviceable at 3rd and split time at 1b and DH.

JBJ will be playing with Castillo in Pawtucket. so that leaves you with 4 outfielders, with Nava probably being the odd man out as usual.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Are there any reasons other than age to think Victorino won't be able to play next year? Was his injury this year really that devastating and career threatening?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

This idea of hoping Craig can play 3B really needs to stop.  The man has played 2 games there in his major league career for a total of 11 innings.  Otherwise, he's been a corner outfielder and first baseman.  Maybe I'm jaded by my memories of Yaz volunteering to play third back in the early 70s.  A great left fielder and a pretty good first baseman, Captain Carl was a horrible third sacker and the experiment ended after 30 or so games. I don't see Craig as having the same base defensive skills as Yaz, so I don't hold out a lot of hope that he would even be adequate.

I would rather try Betts there (and I really don't want to do that).  I don't think he's played much if any 3B, but at least he's played ground ball fielding infield positions for much of his life.

This isn't little league, there are far too many nuances to playing any defensive position to just view it as rearranging chess pieces.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This idea of hoping Craig can play 3B really needs to stop.  The man has played 2 games there in his major league career for a total of 11 innings.  Otherwise, he's been a corner outfielder and first baseman.  Maybe I'm jaded by my memories of Yaz volunteering to play third back in the early 70s.  A great left fielder and a pretty good first baseman, Captain Carl was a horrible third sacker and the experiment ended after 30 or so games. I don't see Craig as having the same base defensive skills as Yaz, so I don't hold out a lot of hope that he would even be adequate.

I would rather try Betts there (and I really don't want to do that).  I don't think he's played much if any 3B, but at least he's played ground ball fielding infield positions for much of his life.

This isn't little league, there are far too many nuances to playing any defensive position to just view it as rearranging chess pieces.

[/QUOTE]

except that Craig kind of sucks in the outfield too, and you have lots of better options in the outfield. 3rd base is about reaction - first step and little else. that can come with repetition. even Wade Boggs was able to do it because he was willing to work at it every. single. day. if Craig's not willing to work at it, then the he double sticks with him. his bat isn't good enough to put up with any nonsense, and he'll probably be hurt again anyways.

by the way, where is Holt going to play?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

except that Craig kind of sucks in the outfield too, and you have lots of better options in the outfield. 3rd base is about reaction - first step and little else. that can come with repetition. even Wade Boggs was able to do it because he was willing to work at it every. single. day. if Craig's not willing to work at it, then the he double sticks with him. his bat isn't good enough to put up with any nonsense, and he'll probably be hurt again anyways.

by the way, where is Holt going to play?

[/QUOTE]

Holt ? Traded or super sub ? Second half for him is the real Holt.. ok but not , must play guy !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i would be shocked if Castillo sees much time in the majors next season.

he'll either struggle too much in the spring to start with the club, or, if they push the issue and he does start with the club, he'll struggle too much in the regular season and they'll send him down. he'll be in AAA most of next year.

Craig is not a good defensive outfielder, hopefully he can be serviceable at 3rd and split time at 1b and DH.

JBJ will be playing with Castillo in Pawtucket. so that leaves you with 4 outfielders, with Nava probably being the odd man out as usual.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Craig has a .667 fielding % at 3B in the pros (3 chances in 5 years).

His minor league FP is .927 with his last real action in 2008.

Sections
Shortcuts