Forgive me that I didn't notice...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Forgive me that I didn't notice...

Every once and a while, an issue keeps being bandied about like it's a never ending curse with little hope of ever getting better and little desire to accept improvement.

To that issue, I ask that you all might forgive me that I didn't notice until it keeps being made a drum beat over and over again.

I know my sign on name is SinceYaz.  But I never really took notice of the fact that Carl was Polish.  Did it really matter?  To some it did and does. 

But Carl isn't the only player I liked, not by a long shot.

I loved Boomer, George Scott.  But I never really noticed he was black. 

I loved Rico Petrocelli.  But I never really noticed he was Italian.

I loved Reggie Smith, but I never really took note he was black.  Loved his 'Fro, but that was just hair, man.

I loved Fred Lynn and Jim Rice.  I am not sure if I cried the day they traded Freddy, but man was I hurt.  Not nearly as much as if they had traded Jim.  I would have stomped into Fenway and screamed my head off.   But I never really noticed Fred was white and Jim was black.  I know, it's obvious.  But so what?  All that mattered was that they were Sox and I had hoped they would be golden twins until they retired - in Fenway.

I loved Jim Lonborg and grieved for him after his leg injury.  But I loved Pedro even more and, man did I love his antics and his pitching, and man did my heart sink when he made staying with us history in the WS championship dugout..  I didn't really notice that the star of the dugout was so clearly shining ... I mean, do stars shine if they are black?  I am sorry, I never really noticed.  I just loved the guy.

I loved that PED using fella.  You know, before he made a donkey of himself the last season he was here.  What a pair he and Big Papi made!  And I loved to watch them play, backing each other up at the plate.  Wheweeee..... was that magic or what?  But ... hey, they did appear to have a better tan than I have.  But forgive me if I never really noticed, never really cared.  I love Big Papi.  "Big Smile; Big Heart; Big Papi!"  Man, he's been sweet as a Red Sox!

I love this Ells kid.  But he's American Injun, like me (he's more than I am, but so what).  I love Pedey too - but never really cared the circus lost one of it's tossing dwarves.  I love Carl Crawford.  I'll stand by him until the cows come home - I don't give a rat's pattoot he started badly.  I DO care that some are giving him such a hard time instead of saying, "You de man!"  Wait, did I notice he's ... black?  I could care less.  Really. 

Heck, I love Youk!  And until someone pointed it out that he's Jewsih not Greek, I didn't know, didn't care - still don't. 

I noticed they had or have a Red Sox jersey on.  That's all that mattered.

Forgive me if I didn't know Boston fans might have been prejudiced or racist.  I did learn later about it, but as a kid, all that mattered was that I filled with pride when I saw Bill Russell, the minister of defense - -the greatest Celtic ever.  I was almost as proud of Hondo, the greatest 6th man ever. 

Dad taught us there was only one race.  The human race.  I DID work hard in high school and college to fight prejudice and mindless hatred in school and in the streets.  I did know it was there.  Heck, Polish jokes, French jokes, Italian jokes ... It was everywhere.  But it didn't define my life and my great joys.  I hardly noticed that many of my finest friends and strongest Christian leaders were ... black.  I mean, I had to, because I wasn't blind.  But, forgive me if I didn't notice that what someone else's old or present hatreds didn't define my life and the things I loved in life.

I am sorry that for some that post here it remains a ... stumbling block.  But I swear to you, and Scripture says I'm not supposed to do that, I would never have known that terrible pain if you didn't keep on bring it up.

"The ink is black, the page is white.  Together they ...."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Forgive me that I didn't notice...

What is this thread about? Do we really need to have a race thread?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

C'mon burrito, we are in a pennant race..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Forgive me that I didn't notice...:
    [QUOTE]What is this thread about?

I don't know.  Oh, wait, the last set of idiotic claims that we somehow are holding back our love and support for Papi because he's black.  What hogwash.   

Do we really need to have a race thread?

Yes, but it should be about the pennant race.  But I couldn't help myself ...

Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]C'mon burrito, we are in a pennant race..
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

There you go.  You called it, baby!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ortiz needs to stop acting like a braggart. Where was his "take it like a man," and "mean machine" boloney over the previous two seasons. I am suddenly skeptical to as why he is doing so well... mainly because his mouth is so big.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Hi SinceYaz, are you still a Gator fan?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Ortiz needs to stop acting like a braggart. Where was his "take it like a man," and "mean machine" boloney over the previous two seasons. I am suddenly skeptical to as why he is doing so well... mainly because his mouth is so big.

Burrito, my friend,  we have talked about Papi before and I think the last two years are molded by two things: injury and the uncertainty it procduces; the lack of feared support like when Manny was here.

Now, I think, with Adrian in the line up, as well as another pure hitter like Manny was, the comfort zone is back.  He doesn't feel like he's out on an island by himself.  

Badly misquoting that old Yanqui catcher, "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is skill"

I am delighted he's gotten better.   Actually, his BA is improved dramatically, but his power numbers are on par with the last few years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Hi SinceYaz, are you still a Gator fan?

Yessir.  I'm waiting to see if they get their swagger back this season.

But I'm a really odd bird.  I like half-azz U too ...  I know that isn't supposed to be possible, but dadgummit, I liked that old southern gent they had as a coach.

:o)

Makes one game a year REALLY hard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Forgive me that I didn't notice... : Yessir.  I'm waiting to see if they get their swagger back this season. But I'm a really odd bird.  I like half-azz U too ...  I know that isn't supposed to be possible, but dadgummit, I liked that old southern gent they had as a coach. :o) Makes one game a year REALLY hard.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]
    I have kids at both places, so I like both too. Heading up to gainesville later today for the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I believe, as you seem to say yourself, that he lost his confidence once Manny was traded. Now he has it back because AGon is here to carry the front of the load... so now Ortiz is the self-proclaimed bad-azz again. I just don't care for his macho crap. Its ridiculous. Yaz or even Rice just would have shook their heads at Ortiz as a teammate back in the day... unnecessary machismo. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Forgive me that I didn't notice... : I have kids at both places, so I like both too. Heading up to gainesville later today for the game.

Oh now YOU REALLY MADE ME JEALOUS!!!!!

Be safe and enjoy!  GO GATORS!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I believe, as you seem to say yourself, that he lost his confidence once Manny was traded. Now he has it back because AGon is here to carry the front of the load... so now Ortiz is the self-proclaimed bad-azz again. I just don't care for his macho crap. Its ridiculous. Yaz or even Rice just would have shook their heads at Ortiz as a teammate back in the day... unnecessary machismo. 

:o)  I tend to think of his Carribean background ... and I swear now I've got that Disney "Pirates of the Carribean" theme in my head.  Check that, "It's a Small World" ....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"I'm not black, but there's a whole lots of times I wish I could say I'm not white."

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."

"Politics is the entertainment branch of industry."

"A mind is like a parachute. It does not work if it is not open."

-Frank Zappa.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]"I'm not black, but there's a whole lots of times I wish I could say I'm not white." "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." "Politics is the entertainment branch of industry." "A mind is like a parachute. It does not work if it is not open." -Frank Zappa.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Forgive me that I didn't notice... : I have kids at both places, so I like both too. Heading up to gainesville later today for the game.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]Gainesville, the home of Lynyrd Skynyrd, one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I always thought Reggie Smith was the best Center Fielder the Red Sox ever had, at least until Ellsbury that is. But I wasn't too bummed when the sox traded him for Rick Wise and Bernie Carbo.l

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

S.Y. This is obviously UR answer to Softone's bigotry idiocy.

Burrito hammered Papi for two years and now cries PEDS. Typical of his garbage.
    Papi has stated many times he made hitting adjustments coming out of ST this year. He doesn't get eaten up inside or flail at outside balls like he used to the last two seasons. He's simply controlling the zone better. Having AGONE as a sounding boardv has been a positive. He had similar with Manny. But the credit is due to Papi, just as Jake's season it's due to Jake.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]"I'm not black, but there's a whole lots of times I wish I could say I'm not white." "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." "Politics is the entertainment branch of industry." "A mind is like a parachute. It does not work if it is not open." -Frank Zappa.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I didn't know you were a Mother, Zill.  :o)

Good stuff.

But ... Dweeble, really? 

:o)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I always thought Reggie Smith was the best Center Fielder the Red Sox ever had, at least until Ellsbury that is. But I wasn't too bummed when the sox traded him for Rick Wise and Bernie Carbo.l
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Hey Carnie!

Don't know what was coming after the period.  (I)   But I agree with you 100%.  Reggie was smooth.  The trade was one of the better one's made that I can remember.  Ells may just end up being better.  This season looks like it.  But no one's had Jake's speed ... I love that and now coupling it with power, who can really say anything negative about him?   Liking Ells in no way negates one's affection for Reggie. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]S.Y . This is obviously UR answer to Softone's bigotry idiocy. Burrito hammered Papi for two years and now cries PEDS. Typical of his garbage. Papi has stated many times he made hitting adjustments coming out of ST this year. He doesn't get eaten up inside or flail at outside balls like he used to the last two seasons. He's simply controlling the zone better. Having AGONE as a sounding boardv has been a positive. He had similar with Manny. But the credit is due to Papi, just as Jake's season it's due to Jake.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Your horse sense is showing, harness.  :o)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In Response to Re: Forgive me that I didn't notice... : Gainesville, the home of Lynyrd Skynyrd, one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.
    Posted by carnie

Skynyrd is from Jacksonville. Tom Petty is from Gainesville.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

In Response to Forgive me that I didn't notice...:
    Every once and a while, an issue keeps being bandied about like it's a never ending curse with little hope of ever getting better and little desire to accept improvement. To that issue, I ask that you all might forgive me that I didn't notice until it keeps being made a drum beat over and over again. I know my sign on name is SinceYaz.  But I never really took notice of the fact that Carl was Polish.  Did it really matter?  To some it did and does.  But Carl isn't the only player I liked, not by a long shot. I loved Boomer, George Scott.  But I never really noticed he was black.  I loved Rico Petrocelli.  But I never really noticed he was Italian. I loved Reggie Smith, but I never really took note he was black.  Loved his 'Fro, but that was just hair, man. I loved Fred Lynn and Jim Rice.  I am not sure if I cried the day they traded Freddy, but man was I hurt.  Not nearly as much as if they had traded Jim.  I would have stomped into Fenway and screamed my head off.   But I never really noticed Fred was white and Jim was black.  I know, it's obvious.  But so what?  All that mattered was that they were Sox and I had hoped they would be golden twins until they retired - in Fenway. I loved Jim Lonborg and grieved for him after his leg injury.  But I loved Pedro even more and, man did I love his antics and his pitching, and man did my heart sink when he made staying with us history in the WS championship dugout..  I didn't really notice that the star of the dugout was so clearly shining ... I mean, do stars shine if they are black?  I am sorry, I never really noticed.  I just loved the guy. I loved that PED using fella.  You know, before he made a donkey of himself the last season he was here.  What a pair he and Big Papi made!  And I loved to watch them play, backing each other up at the plate.  Wheweeee..... was that magic or what?  But ... hey, they did appear to have a better tan than I have.  But forgive me if I never really noticed, never really cared.  I love Big Papi.  "Big Smile; Big Heart; Big Papi!"  Man, he's been sweet as a Red Sox! I love this Ells kid.  But he's American Injun, like me (he's more than I am, but so what).  I love Pedey too - but never really cared the circus lost one of it's tossing dwarves.  I love Carl Crawford.  I'll stand by him until the cows come home - I don't give a rat's pattoot he started badly.  I DO care that some are giving him such a hard time instead of saying, "You de man!"  Wait, did I notice he's ... black?  I could care less.  Really.  Heck, I love Youk!  And until someone pointed it out that he's Jewsih not Greek, I didn't know, didn't care - still don't.  I noticed they had or have a Red Sox jersey on.  That's all that mattered. Forgive me if I didn't know Boston fans might have been prejudiced or racist.  I did learn later about it, but as a kid, all that mattered was that I filled with pride when I saw Bill Russell, the minister of defense - -the greatest Celtic ever.  I was almost as proud of Hondo, the greatest 6th man ever.  Dad taught us there was only one race.  The human race.  I DID work hard in high school and college to fight prejudice and mindless hatred in school and in the streets.  I did know it was there.  Heck, Polish jokes, French jokes, Italian jokes ... It was everywhere.  But it didn't define my life and my great joys.  I hardly noticed that many of my finest friends and strongest Christian leaders were ... black.  I mean, I had to, because I wasn't blind.  But, forgive me if I didn't notice that what someone else's old or present hatreds didn't define my life and the things I loved in life. I am sorry that for some that post here it remains a ... stumbling block.  But I swear to you, and Scripture says I'm not supposed to do that, I would never have known that terrible pain if you didn't keep on bring it up. "The ink is black, the page is white.  Together they ...."
    Posted by SinceYaz

This post was great, right up to the point where you made your dumb joke about little people. I know most people don't see that as a big deal, but as a sibling of a little person, I can tell you that the descrimination they face is unlike anything you can imagine. I don't think you are a jerk are a bigot or anything...I would just like to ask you to think before you insult a group of people that have to fight harder than most everyday to be treated as equals amongs their peers. Otherwise, like I said the sentiment of this post was excellent, keep up the thoughtful posts :0)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Forgive me that I didn't notice... : This post was great, right up to the point where you made your dumb joke about little people.I know most people don't see that as a big deal, but as a sibling of a little person, I can tell you that the descrimination they face is unlike anything you can imagine. I don't think you are a jerk are a bigot or anything...I would just like to ask you to think before you insult a group of people that have to fight harder than most everyday to be treated as equals amongs their peers. Otherwise, like I said the sentiment of this post was excellent, keep up the thoughtful posts :0)
    Posted by stormcrow7878

If the post was great, how could he belittle people of lesser stature?
    Why would he satirize every element but one???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Forgive me that I didn't notice... : This post was great, right up to the point where you made your dumb joke about little people. I know most people don't see that as a big deal, but as a sibling of a little person, I can tell you that the descrimination they face is unlike anything you can imagine. I don't think you are a jerk are a bigot or anything...I would just like to ask you to think before you insult a group of people that have to fight harder than most everyday to be treated as equals amongs their peers. Otherwise, like I said the sentiment of this post was excellent, keep up the thoughtful posts :0)
    Posted by stormcrow7878

Storm,

Apologies for the place you found offensive.  I was literally feeding off Big Papi's reference to Pedey as a circus escapee, which he obviously thought was funny - and I did smile about it.  The hardships people face are really unfortunate.  I have a cousin who used to measure each 1/4 inch in growth with exuberant fanfare.  Both of my sons, though not dwarfish, dealt with being smaller than their classmates for years.  Only the onset of adulthood calmed that for them - and a martial arts class or two.  

Thank you for the remainder of the compliment.  Enjoy the remainder of the season.  And really this time forgive the pun, not intended ... how did the season get so short ... so fast?