Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver passed away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver passed away

I just saw it on Sportscenter.He was an old time baseball man who knew a lot about the game and respected it. May he rest in peace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver passed away

GPG + 3R HR = W

RIP Earl

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

He was fun to watch and had some great teams in the late 60's and early 70's

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Earl Weaver, one of the most colorful mangers that game has ever seen has passed away.

We should be seeing the classic video clips this weekend of his "disagreements" with American League umpires.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

RIP Earl - or rather - peace be upon AL umpires .... and some NL ...  :o)

Not rather, but as well.  Earl was the reason I could have cared less about the "rivalry" as a kid.  His O's teams were often the class of the AL (and ALE) ... and the only guy I didn't like, eventually, was Jim Palmer and his pomposity.  But that was long after he retired.

I loved the way he managed pitchers ... I think he helped being bring on a lot of the changes in the game when it came to relievers.  While he had great starters, if they wavered a little, the BP came into play immediately.  He rarely - using my childhood memory, and it could be wrong - allowed his starters to give up 4 runs.  Three brought on the BP.

Now off to see if I was right.  

Great baseball guy ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

the defender of 3-run  homers everywhere :-)..RIP Big Earl..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

RIP Earl - or rather - peace be upon AL umpires .... and some NL ...  :o)

Not rather, but as well.  Earl was the reason I could have cared less about the "rivalry" as a kid.  His O's teams were often the class of the AL (and ALE) ... and the only guy I didn't like, eventually, was Jim Palmer and his pomposity.  But that was long after he retired.

I loved the way he managed pitchers ... I think he helped being on a lot of the changes in the game when it came to relievers.  While he had great starters, if they wavered a little, the BP came into play immediately.  He rarely - using my childhood memory, and it could be wrong - allowed his starters to give up 4 runs.  Three brought on the BP.

Now off to see if I was right.  

Great baseball guy ...

He had a great philosophy that he applied to his pitching staff. Limit walks and don't worry about strikeouts. He didn't want to give the opponent a free pass. Check out where a lot of his teams ranked in pitching for total BBs, BB/9, and WHIP. Usually the best or almost the best in the league. Amazing consistency.

Great manager. RIP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Here's to you Mr Weaver! The all heaven allstar team is waiting for you! I still loving pitching and 3 run homers!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Another piece of my childhood has passed.  I can still remember watching or listening to a Sox vs. Oriole game (when the Sox weren't very good and the O's were the best in the league) hoping for a call against the O's just to see Weaver "in action."  My goodness, compared to Yaz (who was no slouch when arguing with Umps - we're talking early 70's) - he was the Babe Ruth of arguing with umps - and a great manager to boot.  God bless Earl - RIP!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

The Orioles were a nightmare during my childhood...seems like they had four twenty game winning pitchers every year...same as the A's...painful...