Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder"

"At the same time, there’s no denying that Friedman has developed more top-end pitching than Epstein. That is why the Rays still have a chance. So maybe Epstein and Friedman should put a gentlemen’s bet on the wild-card race."

This guy didn't do his homework. These pitchers might have come of age under Friedman but he didn't draft all of them. As I posted on another thread:

Nieman, Shields, Hellickson and Davis were all drafted by the Chuck LaMar regime. Only price was drafted by Frieman.

As another poster noted, Price and Niemann were drafted before the Sox had a chance at them. The Sox took Pedroia with their only pick ahead of Davis. Then in 2005, while the Rays took these players with their first four picks: 

Wade Townsend
    Chris Mason
    Bryan Morris
    Jeremy Hellickson

The Sox took these players ahead of Hellickson
    Ellsbury
    Hanson (disappointment but was used to get Bay)
    Buchholz
    Lowrie
    Bowden
    Jonathan Egan

So while Friedman looks like he might be a good GM, he's benefitting from players that LaMarr drafted. And except for Shields, the Sox never had a chance at the other pitchers in the Rays' rotation or took better players. And it was Duquette who missed out on Shields, not Theo.

And let's not forget that Theo also drafted Papelbon and Bard, two elite relievers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder":
    [QUOTE]"At the same time, there’s no denying that Friedman has developed more top-end pitching than Epstein. That is why the Rays still have a chance. So maybe Epstein and Friedman should put a gentlemen’s bet on the wild-card race." This guy didn't do his homework. These pitchers might have come of age under Friedman but he didn't draft all of them. As I posted on another thread: Nieman, Shields, Hellickson and Davis were all drafted by the Chuck LaMar regime. Only price was drafted by Frieman. As another poster noted, Price and Niemann were drafted before the Sox had a chance at them. The Sox took Pedroia with their only pick ahead of Davis. Then in 2005, while the Rays took these players with their first four picks:  Wade Townsend Chris Mason Bryan Morris Jeremy Hellickson The Sox took these players ahead of Hellickson Ellsbury Hanson (disappointment but was used to get Bay) Buchholz Lowrie Bowden Jonathan Egan So while Friedman looks like he might be a good GM, he's benefitting from players that LaMarr drafted. And except for Shields, the Sox never had a chance at the other pitchers in the Rays' rotation or took better players. And it was Duquette who missed out on Shields, not Theo.   And let's not forget that Theo also drafted Papelbon and Bard, two elite relievers.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy, the Article in general has some merit but Tampa, regardless of who drafted them probably had more top picks than anyone for at least six of those years. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : This still doesn't answer my question.  When/if you can break it down by league and individual batters like moon might do I may look at it.  Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt its clear Lackey can't handle this kind of pressure.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Craze it aint that hard to grasp.  The theory that he has faced tougher batters is false.  The numbers don't lie.   Over his entire year all the batters he has faced are added up and the total is what it is.  Counterintuitive I know but still true.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Red Sox do something the Rays don't/can't do - they trade prospects for proven talent.  Agon was acquired via trade, and the Sox didn't send over chopped liver.  They did the same to get VMart.

But there also other big differences between the Rays and Sox.  The Rays haven't won a WS.  And the Rays have terrible attendence and TV ratings and nothing they do seems to change that.

The Sox can't allow themselves to be the worst team in the AL for 10 years and stockpile high draft pick prospects like the Rays can do. 

But lets see how successful the Rays are after there prospects turn into proven free agents and leave. 

Too funny - the Sox have the WC lead and people are calling out Theo.

Not a doubt in my mind that if Buch hadn't gotten hurt, the Sox would be fighting for the Division crown.  Heck, if Lackey was half the pitcher he should be the Sox would be fighting for the crown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : Craze it aint that hard to grasp.  The theory that he has faced tougher batters is false.  The numbers don't lie.   Over his entire year all the batters he has faced are added up and the total is what it is.  Counterintuitive I know but still true.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Then I guess his arm is on its way out and he can't handle pressure.  Maybe another Dice in the making but either way it was a bad signing.  Knowing our medical staff hes probably had a problem that hasn't been diagnosed :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : Crawford knows he is having an off year and at least apologized to our fans in the below article.  That alone shows he has more class than Lackey.  I think CC deserves one more year before passing judgement like some did with Jacoby. http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/carl_crawford_apologizes_to_red_sox_fans_for_poor_season/6871399

I'm glad someone finally brought this up. Too many have written this guy off. Judge him after his contract is up. Not before the end of his first season. Personally I think he needs to change that funky batting stance of his. Look what a little change did for Curtis Granderson.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : Roy, the Article in general has some merit but Tampa, regardless of who drafted them probably had more top picks than anyone for at least six of those years. 

My point was in this particular case, he's distorting the truth because by mentioning Friedman in this example, he's making it sound like he's doing a better job than Theo.

Friedman didn't draft all those pitchers. So you can't say he's developed more pitchers. Sure they came up when he was GM but he didn't draft them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : I'm glad someone finally brought this up. Too many have written this guy off. Judge him after his contract is up. Not before the end of his first season. Personally I think he needs to change that funky batting stance of his. Look what a little change did for Curtis Granderson.  
    Posted by soxfanwest[/QUOTE]

soxfan,

The funny thing is Carl had a completely different stance when he came up with his legs much closer together.  It was in 2003 the Rays hitting coach Lee Elia had Carl open up his stance because he had a habit of swinging at bad pitches.  I guess he didn't help Carl  much :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox do something the Rays don't/can't do - they trade prospects for proven talent.  Agon was acquired via trade, and the Sox didn't send over chopped liver.  They did the same to get VMart. But there also other big differences between the Rays and Sox.  The Rays haven't won a WS.  And the Rays have terrible attendence and TV ratings and nothing they do seems to change that. The Sox can't allow themselves to be the worst team in the AL for 10 years and stockpile high draft pick prospects like the Rays can do.  But lets see how successful the Rays are after there prospects turn into proven free agents and leave.  Too funny - the Sox have the WC lead and people are calling out Theo. Not a doubt in my mind that if Buch hadn't gotten hurt, the Sox would be fighting for the Division crown.  Heck, if Lackey was half the pitcher he should be the Sox would be fighting for the crown.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Great post.

I posted earlier in the year about Rizzo. In year's past, the Sox would have waited for Rizzo to be ready (next year?) and gone a different route this year in the short term, keeping a Youk at 1B and find a cheaper 3B, even if that meant winning 83 or 84 games. But the Sox have to be a 90-plus win team every year and contend, so the Sox had to find an A-Gon to build around. It's often hard for young players to break through on teams like the Red Sox.

And some keep bringing up Masterson. He had a shot in the rotation and struggled with Boston. He found a bullpen niche, but even then was struggling against left-handers. In the first year and a half after he was traded, he stunk with Cleveland. But the Indians had no one else to start and there were no expectations, so they could keep throwing him out there and hope for the best. You can't do that in Boston.

I don't recall a big outcry for him to be in the rotation when the Sox traded him. 

I find it funny when fans complain about big FA signings when they don't work out -- big FA signings are high risk to begin with -- yet these are likely the same fans who btched about Henry being cheap a couple of years ago when the payroll was around $130M.

I don't care who you are. There's a lot of luck in drafting. Theo has had many good drafts but take a look at draft lists. Most of those guy you never hear anythign from. Friedman has too short a track record for anyone to say he's better than Theo, especially has I pointed out, he didn't draft all of the guys on the staff.

I agree about Buch. The team survived for awhile but the longer they went, especially with Lester and Beckett missing starts here and there, it caught up with the team. Even with everyone else doing what they did, give Buch two or three starts this month instead of Weiland or Miller or Wake or whomever -- and I think the team has a couple more wins.

And it's funny two. The Sox are two up in the wildcard. If Bard didn't have those two meltdowns where he blew three-run leads, the Sox would be up four and there'd be a whole lot less handwringing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : My point was in this particular case, he's distorting the truth because by mentioning Friedman in this example, he's making it sound like he's doing a better job than Theo. Friedman didn't draft all those pitchers. So you can't say he's developed more pitchers. Sure they came up when he was GM but he didn't draft them.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Roy, it would be interesting to see an across the board comparison for the last nine years to see how all GM's rated in drafting/developing young pitchers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : I agree to some extent fivkatz, It would be interesting to see a breakdown of all GM'S in the past nine years and Tampa certainly isn't the team to compare us to.  I still believe Theo concentration hasn't been as focused on pitching since arriving in Boston.  I spend a lot of time in CT. these days and do feel he made a great choice with Barnes.  The kid has good pitches and poise
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]As for finding teams trying to run a similar business model there are only a half dozen or so. NYY, Mets, Cubs, Phillies, Tigers, WS, LAA, Dodgers (until McCourt's divorce) and Houston. Everybody there got bad at some point except the NYY. The Mets, Cubs and Astros all buried themselves in unlucky FA signings. Tigers have needed a couple of years to shake off the trade moves they made right after winning the AL in 2006.

Nobody on that list aside from the NYY who operate on 15%-20% more budget and the Phillies who are on a real nice role since 2009. Epstein certainly has avoided the pot holes that engulfed the Astros, Cubs, Mets and sent the Orioles to eventual drop their budget relative to the market. The Angels have the luxury of having off years a lot more quietly than you could in Boston and their really dumb moves like Matthews Jr. and trading for Wells go by with much less notice. 

If you look back at any draft since Epstein has been here, 50% of his picks are pitchers. Buchholz, Masterson, Bard, Papelbon are some of his more notable "hits". They got a few years of good service from Delcarmen.  The RS most years aren't going to pick until in the mid-20's or later. Add to that the natural fragility in pitching and the uneven nature of player development and the results don't indicate neglect as much as they reflect the balancing effect of the amateur draft.

Epstein gets too much hype when the RS do well and too much heat when moves don't work out IMO. There is a lot of luck to team building even after you establish a business model and execute it.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : As for finding teams trying to run a similar business model there are only a half dozen or so. NYY, Mets, Cubs, Phillies, Tigers, WS, LAA, Dodgers (until McCourt's divorce) and Houston. Everybody there got bad at some point except the NYY. The Mets, Cubs and Astros all buried themselves in unlucky FA signings. Tigers have needed a couple of years to shake off the trade moves they made right after winning the AL in 2006. Nobody on that list aside from the NYY who operate on 15%-20% more budget and the Phillies who are on a real nice role since 2009. Epstein certainly has avoided the pot holes that engulfed the Astros, Cubs, Mets and sent the Orioles to eventual drop their budget relative to the market. The Angels have the luxury of having off years a lot more quietly than you could in Boston and their really dumb moves like Matthews Jr. and trading for Wells go by with much less notice.  If you look back at any draft since Epstein has been here, 50% of his picks are pitchers. Buchholz, Masterson, Bard, Papelbon are some of his more notable "hits". They got a few years of good service from Delcarmen.  The RS most years aren't going to pick until in the mid-20's or later. Add to that the natural fragility in pitching and the uneven nature of player development and the results don't indicate neglect as much as they reflect the balancing effect of the amateur draft. Epstein gets too much hype when the RS do well and too much heat when moves don't work out IMO. There is a lot of luck to team building even after you establish a business model and execute it.   
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I think the article is based more on starting pitchers fivekatz.  We have definitely had a few nice relievers. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Buchholtz HASN'T pitched 200 inning, and probably never will.
    He's injury prone, like Lowrie.
    Ortiz was not developed by the farm system. Fact. The point of the article was who came up from the minors.
    Youk is not a failure, and he was not signed by your hero's regime.
    Lavarnway hasn't hit a single homer in the majors, and doesn't have a position.
    So, how is he a legitimate power hitter? Maybe someday, but we're talking about NOW.
    Masterson would never have pitched 200 innings for the Sox, because the mentality was that he was a set up guy or middle relief.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Buchholtz HASN'T pitched 200 inning, and probably never will. He's injury prone, like Lowrie. Ortiz was not developed by the farm system. Fact. The point of the article was who came up from the minors. Youk is not a failure, and he was not signed by your hero's regime. Lavarnway hasn't hit a single homer in the majors, and doesn't have a position. So, how is he a legitimate power hitter? Maybe someday, but we're talking about NOW. Masterson would never have pitched 200 innings for the Sox, because the mentality was that he was a set up guy or middle relief.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I agree tbrod, the Sox didn't seem to feel Masterson would be a solid starter and again I feel to some extent it was because of our loyalty to Wake.  Clay is really Theo's biggest prize for starting pitching.  There are a lot of factors that come into play and we havn't had the luxury of many high picks but keep your eye on Barnes.

I will personally be shocked if he isn't a productive starter at some point.  Renaudo and Weiland also have a shot. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Buchholtz HASN'T pitched 200 inning, and probably never will. He's injury prone, like Lowrie. Ortiz was not developed by the farm system. Fact. The point of the article was who came up from the minors. Youk is not a failure, and he was not signed by your hero's regime. Lavarnway hasn't hit a single homer in the majors, and doesn't have a position. So, how is he a legitimate power hitter? Maybe someday, but we're talking about NOW. Masterson would never have pitched 200 innings for the Sox, because the mentality was that he was a set up guy or middle relief.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]Masterson never would have pitched 200 innings for the RS because they weren't going to take the beating that the Indians took for 200 innings in 09 and 10 to get his numbers acceptable versus LH.

He was a used in relief in part because LH killed him until this year.

For all the talk here the power hitting was tactical. The RS drafted heavily in pitching with the belief that signing power in FA was less risky than signing pitching in FA. Carl Crawford aside that is still largely true.

Saying Buchholz is injury prone is kind of premature. The injury last year and this are totally unrelated and neither is to his shouldr or arm which is where injury becomes cronic for a pitcher.

The Phillies have a great pitching staff. Excatly one starter is "home grown". The NYY have Nova and Hughes. The RS Lester and Buchholz.

The entire conversation about its Epstein's fault he did not have the depth to cover this injury storm is kind of the ultimate arm chair exercise IMHO.

The RS opened the season with:

Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Lackey
    Dice K

in reserve on roster or in Pawtucket:
    Wake
    Miller
    Doubront

At the deadline traded for Bedard.

So just what would others have done with a few bounderies. Keep in mind you trade fo Halladay he is going to cost you Buch, Ellsbury, Masterson and more.  Accept that of Cliff Lee wasn't signing with the NYY he wasn't signing with Boston and that the RS weren't going to out bid the NYY for Sabathia.

Keep in mind if you get bad to get good NESN ratings are going to fall and you lose 20% of payroll budget.

Now knock yourselves out BDC GMs. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : Masterson never would have pitched 200 innings for the RS because they weren't going to take the beating that the Indians took for 200 innings in 09 and 10 to get his numbers acceptable versus LH. He was a used in relief in part because LH killed him until this year. For all the talk here the power hitting was tactical. The RS drafted heavily in pitching with the belief that signing power in FA was less risky than signing pitching in FA. Carl Crawford aside that is still largely true. Saying Buchholz is injury prone is kind of premature. The injury last year and this are totally unrelated and neither is to his shouldr or arm which is where injury becomes cronic for a pitcher. The Phillies have a great pitching staff. Excatly one starter is "home grown". The NYY have Nova. The entire conversation about its Epstein's fault he did not have the depth to cover this injury storm is kind of the ultimate arm chair exercise IMHO. The RS opened the season with: Beckett Lester Buchholz Lackey Dice K in reserve on roster or in Pawtucket: Wake Miller Doubront At the deadline traded for Bedard. So just what would others have done with a few bounderies. Keep in mind you trade fo Halladay he is going to cost you Buch, Ellsbury, Masterson and more.  Accept that of Cliff Lee wasn't signing with the NYY he wasn't signing with Boston and that the RS weren't going to out bid the NYY for Sabathia. Keep in mind if you get bad to get good NESN ratings are going to fall and you lose 20% of payroll budget. Now knock yourselves out BDC GMs. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Theo definitely came into the season armed but also hoped guys like Lackey, Dice and Wake would be a solid supporting cast and Beck would rebound.  I think many already expected Dice was in trouble going in and losing Clay was huge.

Outside of this there really wasn't anything concrete to back us up, so there was a very fine line between armed and being well armed.  Miller, Weiland, Doubront, Tazawa and others were all just wishful thinking.  Bedard is a good pitcher but injuries have a way of killing a career and the little help he did give us turned into another issue.  I think this season has definitely opened some eyes that may have been closed for the last couple of years.  It may not help this season but changes need to be made before next season.  Lastly, our pen has been sketchy most of the season outside of a select few.

Bashing Theo is different than pointing out facts.  All GM's go through this but Theo is in a place where people and writers won't ever be shy to voice their opinion, as they have when hes done well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

The RS drafted heavily in pitching with the belief that signing power in FA was less risky than signing pitching in FA.

So, when will that farm hand be ready to replace Lackey and Wakefield............

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]The RS drafted heavily in pitching with the belief that signing power in FA was less risky than signing pitching in FA. So, when will that farm hand be ready to replace Lackey and Wakefield............
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

He was traded "Masterson" for a positional player "Victor" a move that should have been addressed at least two or three years prior.  If we had gone after a catcher like Salty when we should have things could be different.

Too little too late!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : He was traded "Masterson" for a positional player "Victor" a move that should have been addressed at least two or three years prior.  If we had gone after a catcher like Salty when we should have things could be different. Too little too late!

Don't you recall the asking price for Salty at all? Anytime before the time we got him would've costed Buchholz, +, +...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : Don't you recall the asking price for Salty at all? Anytime before the time we got him would've costed Buchholz, +, +...
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

Hey emp, I wrote/meant a catcher "like Salty" that could eventually start in a year or two.  This should have happened somewhere around 2007/08.  I do remember everyone was asking the world for Salty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fox article labeling Theo "Boy Blunder" : Hey emp, I wrote/meant a catcher "like Salty" that could eventually start in a year or two.  This should have happened somewhere around 2007.  I do remember everyone was asking the world for Salty.

Ok. I gotcha. Sorry. It's just this article is redunculous.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The funny thing about this article is that it criticizes the Sox development for not having a young 200-inning pitcher and then compares Buchholz to Rich Harden ...

[QUOTE]Buchholz has thrown about 165 fewer major league innings than Rich Harden had at the same age. And Harden has proved himself to be injury prone.[/QUOTE]

If Morosi stopped and thought for a moment, he'd realize that all of those great young A's pitchers of 7 - 8 years ago "proved to be injury prone".  Either injury-prone, or ineffective the moment they left town.  Harden, Mulder, Zito, Hudson, Blanton, Cory Lidle, Only Dan Haren has had a healthy and effective post-Oakland experience.  Related to throwing 230 innings a year? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]The funny thing about this article is that it criticizes the Sox development for not having a young 200-inning pitcher and then compares Buchholz to Rich Harden ... Buchholz has thrown about 165  fewer  major league innings than  Rich Harden  had at the same age. And Harden has proved himself to be injury prone. If Morosi stopped and thought for a moment, he'd realize that all of those great young A's pitchers of 7 - 8 years ago "proved to be injury prone".  Either injury-prone, or ineffective the moment they left town.  Harden, Mulder, Zito, Hudson, Blanton, Cory Lidle, Only Dan Haren has had a healthy and effective post-Oakland experience.  Related to throwing 230 innings a year? 
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

These days not too many teams want their top pitchers to throw that many innings.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Craze, did you previosly say that you work for NESN? Have they instructed you to increase hits to the forum? Your post history seems to infer that you like to stir up the hornets' nest.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Craze, did you previosly say that you work for NESN? Have they instructed you to increase hits to the forum? Your post history seems to infer that you like to stir up the hornets' nest.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

Beacon, no disrespect intended but looking at how long you have been here this is a strange statement.  So who are you really?  It's an article period.  It has some merit which makes for a good discussion both pro and con towards Theo.  If you can't handle discussions about our struggling pitching maybe this isn't the place for you. 

Sections
Shortcuts