FoxSports:Sources: Red Sox, Royals have discussed Francoeur

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

FoxSports:Sources: Red Sox, Royals have discussed Francoeur

from FoxSports:

The Red Sox are among the teams interested in Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran. But some in the industry anticipate that Beltran will insist on his using his no-trade clause to remain in the National League.

So, Boston officials are pursuing other alternatives to fill their need for an outfield bat. One option is Kansas City right fielder Jeff Francoeur.

The Red Sox have inquired about Francoeur’s availability, multiple sources told FOXSports.com; one person briefed on the discussions said they were of an “exploratory” nature. The Royals have a mutual option on Francoeur for next season, so they are under no pressure to move him.

Francoeur and fellow outfielder Melky Cabrera have garnered interest from multiple clubs leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. It seems unlikely that general manager Dayton Moore will move them both.

Francoeur, 27, has appeared in the postseason twice and reached the World Series with the Texas Rangers last year. He has a .973 OPS against left-handed pitching in 2011, making him one of the most coveted right-handed hitters on the midseason trade market.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Re: FoxSports:Sources: Red Sox, Royals have discussed Francoeur

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Why don't they use Reddick & find a decent starting pitcher?  I don't think Miller & Wieland can hack it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Makes more sense than Beltran IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: FoxSports:Sources: Red Sox, Royals have discussed Francoeur:
    [QUOTE]Why don't they use Reddick & find a decent starting pitcher?  I don't think Miller & Wieland can hack it.
    Posted by joyceand[/QUOTE]

They could still use Reddick against RHP's.  Lester will be back Monday and Buchholz is close to throwing a bullpen session.  SP depth is returning to Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Beltran makes sense on a couple of fronts.
    Switchhitter
    Good fielder
    Capable of DH'ing and playing OF NEXT Year during inter-league play.
    May be a lower cost signing as a DH than Papi for 2012.

Francoeur would be a nice pick-up but Beltran has a little more value.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Can somebody please explain why we need outfielders?  Francoeur?!? 

The Red Sox need help in pitching.    

Dice-K is done for the year, Buchholz is on the DL and Lackey has been struggling (although he has been good his last three starts). 

Beckett and Lester have been hurt as well. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I know they know best, but this is ridiculous.  Reddick is ready now, and JD will do fine as a defensive backup.

Dealing, spending, or trading to get Francouer is a terrible idea. He's a fine player, but he is no better than Reddick at present or future. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Reddick's sample size is small, as are Miller's and Weiland's.

Francouer would be a much much cheaper option than Beltran. He is a fine defensive RF'er and has done very well vs LHPs for 3 years. If the Mets pay for Beltran's contract, they will want a lot more or better prospects than KC will get for Francouer.

Theo could possibly get Francouer and a cheaper option 4th/5th starter-type as well. Our budget has a huge percent wrapped up in starting pitchers, some who are are not even pitching (Dice and Taz). I do not see him taking on big salary at the starting pitcher slot. 

Also, Lackey has looked very good for 3 straight starts. If he looks good his next start, Theo may think he has found our 3rd starter (assuming Buch is done).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick's sample size is small, as are Miller's and Weiland's. Francouer would be a much much cheaper option than Beltran. He is a fine defensive RF'er and has done very well vs LHPs for 3 years. If the Mets pay for Beltran's contract, they will want a lot more or better prospects than KC will get for Francouer. Theo could possibly get Francouer and a cheaper option 4th/5th starter-type as well. Our budget has a huge percent wrapped up in starting pitchers, some who are are not even pitching (Dice and Taz). I do not see him taking on big salary at the starting pitcher slot.  Also, Lackey has looked very good for 3 straight starts. If he looks good his next start, Theo may think he has found our 3rd starter (assuming Buch is done).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think Francoeur is going to be the guy they get.  I just have that vibe.  The Sox can't afford to put all their eggs in Reddick's basket.  They need a safety net and a guy that can contribute as a starter if need be.  Francouer can be that guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yeah, but dealing for Francouer would likely cost them Reddick.   His name is consistently mentioned as potential trade-bait.  That s***s.

Getting Francouer doesn't give extra protection, it just trades Josh for Jeff.  Wouldn't this deal also include a prospect and/or $$$? 

Whichever way they go, JD Drew is now the backup rightfielder.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do not think it will be Reddick for Francouer. I doubt it will even be Kalish. I think it will be 2 mid-level prospects, maybe like Bowden & Exposito (clearing up a slot for Lavarnway to join the 40 man roster).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I read somewhere today that Francouer is happy in KC and they want to bring him back next yr.  Supposedly they're just putting his name out there to see if someone will overpay.

If that's true, it lessens the chance that the Sox will get him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]I do not think it will be Reddick for Francouer. I doubt it will even be Kalish. I think it will be 2 mid-level prospects, maybe like Bowden & Exposito (clearing up a slot for Lavarnway to join the 40 man roster).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Mr. Moon I think the package would be more than Bowden/Exposito and less than Kalish or Reddick.  It should be noted that KC has a $4m option on Francoeur for 2012, and he is on pace to be worth about $12m this year.  For that reason, I doubt
    a Bowden/Exposito is even close.

Doubront or Weiland maybe?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Reddick is playing well ... but they need a righty bat for the playoffs with some  power.   I wish they could get Reyes, injuries and all ... Scutaro as the backup.  Short stop is our weakest spot.  Not RF.   Not going to happen though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Beltran, like many players, probably just wants money (or other considerations) to waive his no-trade clause.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Francoeur is a pretty decent ballplayer, can't explain it, but always seemed a bit out of place on the the Mets to me...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobbylyt. Show bobbylyt's posts

Francoeur would be a fan favorite from day one!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Being #6 hitter on this team is not embarrassing, this is the best offense in baseball.   Having Crawford as your #6 is a luxury.  Don't spin everything into negativity.  We are in first place with this bunch of guys.   

Adding a piece is smart, tearing the team apart is foolish.  We have the potential to be even better.   A RH bat with power puts us over the top IMO. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

francoeur in, drew out

After sep 1. DMac loses 40 man roster spot to Lin.  Nice to have RHH excelent defender for late innings.

Sections
Shortcuts