Francona again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Francona again

Why was Aviles pinch hit for last night, but Varitek gets to hit for himself? That should be the bigger question, Varitek of his .175 average since July.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Francona again:
    [QUOTE]This won't make Francona lovers  happy, but, last night's game[and many other games,actually most games] are a prime example of Terry's lack of good managerial  sense. Again  he is not the greaest manager in Sox history, but being in the right spot and having great player's will make just about anyone a canaditate for the title of Best Manager Ever. Last night knowing Felix Hernandez would be on the mound, the Sox would not have Youkilis available, He chose to play Scurato instead of Lowrie[a left hand bat against the right hander], now I know it will be pointed out that Scurato had a triple[a ball that should have caught], again chose to catch Veritek, it seems Francona must get Tek in every  other day, I thought Salty was the regular, but it seems we are using Salty every other day, [just have to play Tek]. Francona seems to treat his lineups like this is Little League baseball, as he seems to think everyone must play so much a week. What is wrong with playing  Lowrie and Salty most days? They are the two better player's at SS AND CATCHER. Look Francona is a great guy and a stablizing force on the Sox, but is not a good field manager. Today will have to suffer thru another game of trying to get Wakefield his 200th win and again it will not be pretty. So go ahead Francona lover's and pink hat's and tell again about Francona's  great maganerial abilities.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]
    You honestly think the difference between a win and a loss last night was the absence of Jed Lowrie? Really?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If you hate Francona a better argument my have been:

This clown gets thrown out of a game for arguing a call he was completely wrong on.

Otherwise keep the nonsense to yourself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Francona again:
    [QUOTE]What is wrong with playing  Lowrie and Salty most days? They are the two better player's at SS AND CATCHER.  This is kind of where you go wrong. Salty does play most days.  He's started 69, and Tek has started 49. The next thing to consider is that it's possible that Tito wants to keep Salty fresh for the playoffs.  He's never started more than 83 games, and started a whole lot less, The final, and most important is that you are making a wild assumption that Lowrie is a better SS than Scutaro.  There is no evidence to support that.  What evidence does exist supports Scutaro being better.  He has a better OPS, is a much better fielder, And Scutaro is the hotter player. It doesn't really look like you did a lot of research to come to your conclusions, imo.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

This tough, but for the most part, I agree with you. The part I feel is nonsense is keeping Salty fresh. The rest of your post made sense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Could Peanut man be Bosox1941?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

No, it couldn't!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]If you hate Francona a better argument my have been: This clown gets thrown out of a game for arguing a call he was completely wrong on. Otherwise keep the nonsense to yourself.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]
    But that would have actually made sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Now that I've riled up some on this board, I want to say that I read and admire most of the poster's, that are now ripping me.
    Believe me I am not a front runner or fair westher fan, as I have lived and died with the Sox since 1946, and I mean lived and died with them. In those years when they just plain stunk, I watched or listened to every game, never missing a game, while putting off my family for my selfish reasons.
    Again while I like Terry as a person, and he is all baseball, I feel he has many shortcummings as a manager.
    Now no one can deny that he has been given very good player's while in Boston, and has been good to them, and guided them to 2 WS and many good years.
    But don't we all [Francona lovers and those who don't care for his magerial skills] sometimes think we could do a good job of managing the Sox. Let's face it everyone on this board has a opinion, and thinks more highly of themselves and their baseball knowledge then they ought to, myself included.

I don't mean to come down on Francona or make enemies on this board, but maybe sometimes I wear my feelings for the Sox on my selve[is that spelled right?] but want very badly for the Sox to win.

Iam not a negative person by nature, but again I bled little Sox, and am guilty I guess of taking losses to much to heart.
    Again I did not mean to rile up anyone, just maybe I took the loss to hard.

After all I live deep in Yankee territory, and have to listen to them for day's at a time, espically when the Sox lose and the Yankee's win. It's not fun having to listen to Yankee fans all the time, but again their are some very good Yankee fans also.
    Iguess this will be the last time I discuss FRancona. Again sorry for the unrest I caused. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Peanut, when you listen or watch a game, do you have all of the statistics at your fingertips that a manager has. Do you know each player's BA vs. each pitcher and each pitcher's success vs. each hitter. Are you aware of what baseball philosopy that Tito had to subscribe to when he was interviewed for the job. Have you read Moneyball or the writings of Bill James?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

wow.  If you take one loss this hard you must have been a wreck for most of the 50's and 60's

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, no, no, no...and...No.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Could Peanut man be Bosox1941?

Can they both be u?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]No, no, no, no...and...No.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Sorry to interject here, but youre being very negative.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Peanut, when you listen or watch a game, do you have all of the statistics at your fingertips that a manager has. Do you know each player's BA vs. each pitcher and each pitcher's success vs. each hitter. Are you aware of what baseball philosopy that Tito had to subscribe to when he was interviewed for the job. Have you read Moneyball or the writings of Bill James?
    Francona got the job, because Schilling wasn't going to sign unless they hired Francona.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I agree with mr peanut. Watching Wake's slow demise today over 6 innings made me wanna chuck-up. How do you think our vaunted lineup feels if they know they need 6 runs to win EVERYTIME Wake pitches. We need that win today...losing 2 of 3 to the Mainers is inexcusable. I agree with playing Salty most of the time and Josh in right. And, oh, by the way, Felix is not ALL THAT UNHITTABLE. Wake-up Tito-heads...he's lousy day-to-day. To the person worried about spelling errors, check you kids' homework...this is a blog!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

That is absolute nonsense about Schilling.  If it were true, Francona would be gone by non.

This Sox are a very successful business that makes a lot of money and routinely fields good teams.  Upper management, starting with John Henry, is absolutely first rate.  And there is no way they are going to give the manager's job to a second rate manager.  They didn't hesitate to fire the idiot who Francona replaced, and, based on that, they would not hesitate to fire Francona now. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with mr peanut. Watching Wake's slow demise today over 6 innings made me wanna chuck-up. How do you think our vaunted lineup feels if they know they need 6 runs to win EVERYTIME Wake pitches. We need that win today...losing 2 of 3 to the Mainers is inexcusable. I agree with playing Salty most of the time and Josh in right. And, oh, by the way, Felix is not ALL THAT UNHITTABLE. Wake-up Tito-heads...he's lousy day-to-day.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

I'm plenty awake.  But I'm not sure there was much of a point in anything you typed there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Francona again:
    [QUOTE]This won't make Francona lovers  happy, but, last night's game[and many other games,actually most games] are a prime example of Terry's lack of good managerial  sense. Again  he is not the greaest manager in Sox history, but being in the right spot and having great player's will make just about anyone a canaditate for the title of Best Manager Ever. Last night knowing Felix Hernandez would be on the mound, the Sox would not have Youkilis available, He chose to play Scurato instead of Lowrie[a left hand bat against the right hander], now I know it will be pointed out that Scurato had a triple[a ball that should have caught], again chose to catch Veritek, it seems Francona must get Tek in every  other day, I thought Salty was the regular, but it seems we are using Salty every other day, [just have to play Tek]. Francona seems to treat his lineups like this is Little League baseball, as he seems to think everyone must play so much a week. What is wrong with playing  Lowrie and Salty most days? They are the two better player's at SS AND CATCHER. Look Francona is a great guy and a stablizing force on the Sox, but is not a good field manager. Today will have to suffer thru another game of trying to get Wakefield his 200th win and again it will not be pretty. So go ahead Francona lover's and pink hat's and tell again about Francona's  great maganerial abilities.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Thats why your not a manager... Enough said !!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, Tito played Jed today, and he almost singlehandedly lost the game. Fire Tito today!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

This isn't a knock on Francona cause I think he had already been tossed but in the Beckett defeat what bothered me was that after clawing back in the 6th inning to make it 5-4 Ellsbury gets on base with a 1 out single to left in the 7th and he doesn't try to steal. I don't expect him to try to steal every time he gets on base but this was a tight situation (not exactly Dave Roberts tight) but one where a stolen base would have put the tying run in scoring position. So what happens? Crawford grounds into a double play---inning over! Gozalez starts the 8th by hitting a single in the gap in right center. Missed opportunity!
     Add my name to those who would pinch hit with Salty for Tek late in close games. Maybe he would have had trouble with League as wel, but Tek didn't look like he had any chance at all.l

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]That is absolute nonsense about Schilling.  If it were true, Francona would be gone by non. This Sox are a very successful business that makes a lot of money and routinely fields good teams.  Upper management, starting with John Henry, is absolutely first rate.  And there is no way they are going to give the manager's job to a second rate manager.  They didn't hesitate to fire the idiot who Francona replaced, and, based on that, they would not hesitate to fire Francona now. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

"Francona would be gone by non(now)". ?? Why would he be gone by now? Unless, of course, you agree that he's been a lousy field manager. Is that what you meant?
    "They fired the idiot that Francona replaced, and based on that, they would not hesitate to fire Francona now."   Again, I ask, why?? Is it because they fired one idiot, so naturally they'd fire another idiot? So all along you've been a closet hater. Wow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Francona plays guys on a schedule.  He doesn't veer from the schedule very often.

I think the understanding is that by setting a schedule, then everyone knows when they will be playing.  Players know what to expect, which allows them to focus on the game instead of wondering if they are going to be playing or not.

Overall, it seems to work out given the Red Sox record. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE] This isn't a knock on Francona cause I think he had already been tossed but in the Beckett defeat what bothered me was that after clawing back in the 6th inning to make it 5-4 Ellsbury gets on base with a 1 out single to left in the 7th and he doesn't try to steal. I don't expect him to try to steal every time he gets on base but this was a tight situation (not exactly Dave Roberts tight) but one where a stolen base would have put the tying run in scoring position. So what happens? Crawford grounds into a double play---inning over! Gozalez starts the 8th by hitting a single in the gap in right center. Missed opportunity!  Add my name to those who would pinch hit with Salty for Tek late in close games. Maybe he would have had trouble with League as wel, but Tek didn't look like he had any chance at all.l
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]
    Trouts, Crawford grounded into the double play BECAUSE Ellsury was trying to steal and the middle infielders were in perfect position to turn two because they were headed that way to catch the throw from the catcher.
    I totally agree on hitting for Tek late in games!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE] This isn't a knock on Francona cause I think he had already been tossed but in the Beckett defeat what bothered me was that after clawing back in the 6th inning to make it 5-4 Ellsbury gets on base with a 1 out single to left in the 7th and he doesn't try to steal. I don't expect him to try to steal every time he gets on base but this was a tight situation (not exactly Dave Roberts tight) but one where a stolen base would have put the tying run in scoring position. So what happens? Crawford grounds into a double play---inning over! Gozalez starts the 8th by hitting a single in the gap in right center. Missed opportunity!  Add my name to those who would pinch hit with Salty for Tek late in close games. Maybe he would have had trouble with League as wel, but Tek didn't look like he had any chance at all.l
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

That didn't escape me either trouts. As a matter of fact Ells just doesn't run much anymore. I guess he figures he hits enough homers to make up for it.
    Actually though, i think he's afraid of getting caught. He is stilll very tentative leading off, sometimes waiting until the pitcher starts his stretch, before even leaving the bag.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona again : Trouts, Crawford grounded into the double play BECAUSE Ellsury was trying to steal and the middle infielders were in perfect position to turn two because they were headed that way to catch the throw from the catcher. I totally agree on hitting for Tek late in games!
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]
     In my post I should have indicated that I wanted him to steal early in the count. He ran on a 3-2 count and the infielders were ready for it. Maybe he could have been more successful by trying earlier in the count. At any rate thanks for pointing that out.