Francona Factor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Francona Factor

You probably can't find a manager whose style is more diametrically oppsed to Francona than Chicago's Ozzie Guillen, yet in the same eight year period mild mannered Tito has been winning at a .580 clip with 2 WS, meanwhile the Napoleon on the Lake has a .526 winning percentage and 1 WS, in a less difficult division too. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: Francona Factor

I'll say it again I've been watching Sox managers since the early sixties and Francona is the best these eyes have seen, and second isn't even close. Having said that, I still reserve the right to second guess his each and every move.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Fracona is the best manager I've seen since Ralph Houk, but that is not to take away from McNamara or Morgan, both who had some strong points (and not so strong points). It's just a different game. This is going to sound like I'm dissing today's MLB managers (or defending them all), but the fact is that Jimy Williams would not ever be a manager in today's game because everything is scouting reports, shifts based on scouting reports, pitcher v. batter splits, etc. Francona simply follows a party plan that is most certainly approved in the FO by Epstein. There seems to be an almost systematic way in which Tito will do the white-flag lineup (it's just my term, and it applies more so when everyone is healthy, and not now when it's a walking wounded). He also is strict to the medical reports on players. There is no stone unturned. Everything is business like. That's why it's so easy to rip him because the repetitiveness of some of the same moves, or mandatory rests, or RH v. lefty lineups. I don't think you can blame Tito without then blaming Theo. They are a tag-team. Tito is an extension of Theo. Sure, there are managerial decisions that require strategy, but it seems a lot of it is very predictable based on past experience. I don't know if it's fair to even criticize Tito the way I used to bash Jimy, who albeit had far lousier talents overall than the current regime.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

"Jimy" Williams---wasn't it Dick Williams who managed the Sox?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Francona Factor:
    [QUOTE] You probably can't find a manager whose style is more diametrically oppsed to Francona than Chicago's Ozzie Guillen, yet in the same eight year period mild mannered Tito has been winning at a .580 clip with 2 WS, meanwhile the Napoleon on the Lake has a .526 winning percentage and 1 WS, in a less difficult division too. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

If the ALC is not a difficult division, why do always have so much trouble against it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

how old are you trouts? yikes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In Response to Re: Francona Factor:
    [QUOTE]how old are you trouts? yikes.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
     If I don't look in the mirror, I pretend that I'm still young and can do the things that I've always done, such as hunting, fishing, chasing young women and traveling the globe. In may ways I think that growing up is for old farts and who wants to be lumped into that category?. As a matter of fact it's a beautiful day and I'm off to do some fly fishing before the game.
     By the way, your posts are among the best on this site. Keep up the good work.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jimy Williams was the manager of the Sox late 90s,early2000s, Dick Williams was the late 60s/early 70. and thanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Fracona is the best manager I've seen since Ralph Houk, but that is not to take away from McNamara or Morgan, both who had some strong points (and not so strong points). It's just a different game. This is going to sound like I'm dissing today's MLB managers (or defending them all), but the fact is that Jimy Williams would not ever be a manager in today's game because everything is scouting reports, shifts based on scouting reports, pitcher v. batter splits, etc. Francona simply follows a party plan that is most certainly approved in the FO by Epstein. There seems to be an almost systematic way in which Tito will do the white-flag lineup (it's just my term, and it applies more so when everyone is healthy, and not now when it's a walking wounded). He also is strict to the medical reports on players. There is no stone unturned. Everything is business like. That's why it's so easy to rip him because the repetitiveness of some of the same moves, or mandatory rests, or RH v. lefty lineups. I don't think you can blame Tito without then blaming Theo. They are a tag-team. Tito is an extension of Theo. Sure, there are managerial decisions that require strategy, but it seems a lot of it is very predictable based on past experience. I don't know if it's fair to even criticize Tito the way I used to bash Jimy, who albeit had far lousier talents overall than the current regime.

sounds like tito would have been a very successful wal-mart employee.
    as for being an extension of theo, i agree. theo is paul winchell and tito is knucklehead smith.
    similar to the cheney-bush administration.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Fracona is the best manager I've seen since Ralph Houk, but that is not to take away from McNamara or Morgan, both who had some strong points (and not so strong points). It's just a different game. This is going to sound like I'm dissing today's MLB managers (or defending them all), but the fact is that Jimy Williams would not ever be a manager in today's game because everything is scouting reports, shifts based on scouting reports, pitcher v. batter splits, etc. Francona simply follows a party plan that is most certainly approved in the FO by Epstein. There seems to be an almost systematic way in which Tito will do the white-flag lineup (it's just my term, and it applies more so when everyone is healthy, and not now when it's a walking wounded). He also is strict to the medical reports on players. There is no stone unturned. Everything is business like. That's why it's so easy to rip him because the repetitiveness of some of the same moves, or mandatory rests, or RH v. lefty lineups. I don't think you can blame Tito without then blaming Theo. They are a tag-team. Tito is an extension of Theo. Sure, there are managerial decisions that require strategy, but it seems a lot of it is very predictable based on past experience. I don't know if it's fair to even criticize Tito the way I used to bash Jimy, who albeit had far lousier talents overall than the current regime.

Great post. As someone who has been rooting for the Sox since the late sixties, I cant say how well I remember Dick W as our Manger, but I do as the A's manager and he was a great Manager, but Tito is the best Sox Manager in my opinion since Williams, and to your point that him and Theo are a tag team, despite posters who kill him, Theo is the best GM I can recall(again Dick O is a little before I cared about GM's)....and this ownership group is the best owners the teams has had.....is it any wonder that the team/organization is held in high regard these days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Francona Factor : If the ALC is not a difficult division, why do always have so much trouble against it?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

tom, I find some people want to separate Tito from Theo, but you can't. In fact, the real reason why Grady was fired was Theo felt Grady was not on the same page in terms of both scouting reports and playing batters based on splits. He made sure Tito was going to go party line. It has worked mostly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Most good franchises would hire a manager who would mirror their baseball strategies and philosophy. Itf the FO wants to use Bill James and Moneyball philosophies then they would search for a managerial candidate who mirrored those philosophies. They would also demand that the manager when chosen would adhere to those principles. It don't find it strange at all that Terry goes by the book which is dictated from the FO. Of course, Yazzer can't grasp this concept.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Most good franchises would hire a manager who would mirror their baseball strategies and philosophy. Itf the FO wants to use Bill James and Moneyball philosophies then they would search for a managerial candidate who mirrored those philosophies. They would also demand that the manager when chosen would adhere to those principles. It don't find it strange at all that Terry goes by the book which is dictated from the FO. Of course, Yazzer can't grasp this concept.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

that's mr. yazzer to you, mortimer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Good cop/Bad cop...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]tom, I find some people want to separate Tito from Theo, but you can't. In fact, the real reason why Grady was fired was Theo felt Grady was not on the same page in terms of both scouting reports and playing batters based on splits. He made sure Tito was going to go party line. It has worked mostly.

The reason Grady was fired was because he cracked under pressure and let Pedro pitch when it was obvious to the rest of the known universe that he was spent. He compounded the error by failing to relieve him. Third he said he would do the same thing all over again if situation arises in future, if Sox win that game and don't win series Theo would have had to re-sign Little. A Sox WS victory in '03 and Grady gets at least a three year deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Loved the quotes from Jimy, which the Boston Globe coined the phrase 'JIMYWOCKY"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

What do you mean the Sox always have trouble about the ALC teams.  Since 2007, they've had 1 losing record against the teams in the AL central.  They usually dominate the AL Central.  And with KC the only team from the AL Central left on their schedule, they should have a dominant record against them this year.

YearWinsLosses

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Dirty: thats 105-68 for .6474 winning Percentage...good point...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Francona Factor:
    [QUOTE] You probably can't find a manager whose style is more diametrically oppsed to Francona than Chicago's Ozzie Guillen, yet in the same eight year period mild mannered Tito has been winning at a .580 clip with 2 WS, meanwhile the Napoleon on the Lake has a .526 winning percentage and 1 WS, in a less difficult division too. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Put Francona in Chicago and Guillen in Boston for the last 8 years and i wonder which team would be improved. I don't really wonder, I know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Tito is a reasonable manager at the very least, and so long as I never forget Jimmy Williams nobody will top Jimmy as the worst manager in my lifetime.