Francona for "Manager of the Year"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Francona for "Manager of the Year"?

Is Tito worthy of being named "Manager of the year"?Edes seems to think so and so do I.He's been overlooked for too long.This is a couple of paragraphs from the article on ESPNBoston.com written by Gordon Edes as well as a link to the whole article:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6905451/boston-red-sox-manager-terry-francona-manager-year

It's not just that Terry Francona has never been voted the American League's Manager of the Year. In his first seven seasons as Red Sox manager, he has not received so much as a single first-place vote.

This despite two World Series titles, five postseason appearances and five seasons of 95 or more wins.

The last Sox manager to win manager of the year was Jimy Williams in 1999, when the Sox won the wild card. John McNamara won in '86 when the Sox took the pennant. Shoot, Kevin Kennedy got more first-place votes (11) than winner Lou Piniella (9) in 1995, when the Sox won the division.
     These are the men who have been elected manager of the year since Francona was hired in Boston: Ron Gardenhire, Mike Scioscia, Joe Maddon, Eric Wedge, Jim Leyland, Ozzie Guillen and Buck Showalter. What do they have in common? Their teams were perceived to have overachieved in some way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"?

mojo, the AL Managers of the Year from the year 2000 right through 2008 did indeed have one big thing in common.

In every case, their team was the AL team that had the biggest increase in wins from the previous year.

9 straight years the writers went this route.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Edes is an idiot! Manny "Acta is manager of the year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Just to make it clear, the voting for Manager of the Year is done BEFORE the playoffs, which I think is idiotic. So Tito's postseason record has nothing to do with it.

My vote this year would probably go to Girardi over Tito -- at least now. Both have held their teams together despite tough times, but for NYY to be so close despite that starting pitching is incredible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Excellent manager but in my opinion Girardi and Tito are eliminated automatically because they are basically the dealers and the other managers are all sitting at the black jack tables!

Not a fair playing field whatsoever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"?:
    [QUOTE]Just to make it clear, the voting for Manager of the Year is done BEFORE the playoffs, which I think is idiotic. So Tito's postseason record has nothing to do with it. My vote this year would probably go to Girardi over Tito -- at least now. Both have held their teams together despite tough times, but for NYY to be so close despite that starting pitching is incredible.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

wow what a cool post

a shot and a compliment at the same time

all while having some merit too

I love it LD

a left handed compliment at it's best

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Sure, I'd make that trade.

Aauuhh... who's the manager of the year?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Valid points LLoyd and Hfxsoxnut.Girardi didn't have much of a pitching staff to work with and he's really done a good job with them so far.Francona has also had to deal with 40% of his opening day pitching staff (Dice-K and Buchholz) missing the majority of the season.But despite that,he's also having his best season right now as a manager with a winning percentage of .617.His previous best was in 2004 with a .605 winning percentage.Remember this is a team that started out 2-10 to begin the season and Tito's gotten them turned around to having the best record in the AL after missing the playoffs last year.Even if he doesn't get the MOY,he certainly deserves some votes.

Lloyd,I also agree 100% with this statement from you:
     "Just to make it clear, the voting for Manager of the Year is done BEFORE the playoffs, which I think is idiotic."
     It's a horrible way to vote for that award.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

In Response to Francona for "Manager of the Year"?:
    [QUOTE]Is Tito worthy of being named "Manager of the year"?Edes seems to think so and so do I.He's been overlooked for too long.This is a couple of paragraphs from the article on ESPNBoston.com written by Gordon Edes as well as a link to the whole article: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6905451/boston-red-sox-manager-terry-francona-manager-year It's not just that Terry Francona has never been voted the American League's Manager of the Year. In his first seven seasons as Red Sox manager, he has not received so much as a single first-place vote. This despite two World Series titles, five postseason appearances and five seasons of 95 or more wins. The last Sox manager to win manager of the year was Jimy Williams in 1999, when the Sox won the wild card. John McNamara won in '86 when the Sox took the pennant. Shoot, Kevin Kennedy got more first-place votes (11) than winner Lou Piniella (9) in 1995, when the Sox won the division.  These are the men who have been elected manager of the year since Francona was hired in Boston: Ron Gardenhire, Mike Scioscia, Joe Maddon, Eric Wedge, Jim Leyland, Ozzie Guillen and Buck Showalter. What do they have in common? Their teams were perceived to have overachieved in some way.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

one thing they all have in common; they're all better field managers than tito.
    who isn't?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Unfortunately neither Tito or Girardi are in the running because in the eyes of the voters the Sox and the Yankees are supposed to win by virtue of their payrolls.  That means that those two can never do a great job, they can only not live up to expectations.  

Yup, there's something wrong with that! 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I love Tito, but he's not deserving of MOTY.  A 2-10 start.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Just because the Red Sox had an awful storm that Tito weathered beautifully does not mean he's the MOTY...he probably deserves a few lower votes, and he's done a good job, but the Red Sox are too good to merit MOTY consideration.

The same goes for Girardi, as some have said. However, please stop giving him credit for handling "a terrible pitching rotation". If you haven't noticed, the Yankee rotation has NOT been terrible. The reason some are worried about it is because it COULD fall apart at any time...but it has actually been very good (other than stinky Burnett). Girardi doesn't get credit for Colon and Garcia pitching far better than ever could have been expected. If anything, the credit goes to Cashman for being ballsy enough to fill a NY market team's rotation with older, riskier pitchers...he was willing, and he chose right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately neither Tito or Girardi are in the running because in the eyes of the voters the Sox and the Yankees are supposed to win by virtue of their payrolls.  That means that those two can never do a great job, they can only not live up to expectations.   Yup, there's something wrong with that!   
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

In general I agree that it should be hard for sox and yankees managers to win MOY because they always have a lot to work with. I am a big fan of Terry, but I don't think he deserves it this year.  The sox are at best living up to expectations this year.  Girardi on the other hand has done excellent with an Yankee team that did not look as good on paper as it has in most years. I have noticed many times this year Girardi has pulled a starter after 2 innings when he clearly did not have his stuff and ended up winning the game. This is a move that takes guts, especially with a veteran team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Coma deserves consideration, but IMO it's Joe Maddon.  He should probably just receive it every year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Francona for "Manager of the Year"? : one thing they all have in common; they're all better field managers than tito. who isn't?
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

Yeah right on yazzer, the Sox are on pace for 100 wins in spite of both the GM and the manager being bumbling incompetents.  That's usually the way it works, isn't it? 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"? :  If voting for manager of the year was done after the post season, then most likely all attention would be given to those managers in the playoffs. Someone  who took over a last place team and managed them to a near- playoff berth the next year would lose a fair amount of consideration during the knee- jerk, emotional high that is post season. Besides, that's a dozen or so more games the PS managers have to show their stuff as opposed to those who don't make it. The voting is done before PS for this reason.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]
    That's a valid point. But look at last year: Ron Gardenhire was named MOY, and Ron Washington was second. Personally, I thought Washington should have won.
    Then come the playoffs. The Twins go out in the divisional series; the Rangers beat the Rays and Yankees (despite not having homefield in either) to advance to the World Series.
    If you look at the entire body of work, I don't know how you couldn't say Ron Washington had the better managerial year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I love Tito, but he's not deserving of MOTY.  A 2-10 start.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

12 games swings your vote?  Wow.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I love Tito, but he's not deserving of MOTY.  A 2-10 start.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    But wouldn't that speak to how he held the team together, etc.?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Not sure. But for Pamperer of the Year, he gets my vote!

Sections
Shortcuts