Francona for "Manager of the Year"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"?

In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"?:
    [QUOTE]Not sure. But for Pamperer of the Year, he gets my vote!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

i am looking forward to Terry pampering these guys to the World Series.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent manager but in my opinion Girardi and Tito are eliminated automatically because they are basically the dealers and the other managers are all sitting at the black jack tables! Not a fair playing field whatsoever.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

But Giriardi won a few years back right?  Torre won, Scioscia (Sp?) has won, so while I totally agree that huge payroll has to be considered it hasn't prevented guys from winning in the past.

I don't know that I would give it to Tito this year.   In 2007 he may have deserved it but the writers went with the small market flavor of the month in Wedge.  In 2008 Tito maybe did his best job, but it is hard to argue against Madden.  The writers have long been enamored with Gardenhire and Scioscia, although that Weaver on short rest thing didn't turn out to be a stroke of managerial genious.

Tito won't win, but if he takes home his third title, I doubt anyone around here will care much about MOY.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

they should name a diaper after him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"? :   And he can stop using his father's nickname anytime and start being "Terry" again.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

When is the last time you heard Francona refer to himself as Tito?  Do you really think it is that strange that others started calling the younger Francona Tito?  How outrageous on the part of the two Titos.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

Manager of the year, for what?  Any one can make out a line up card!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

So Yazzer, let me get this straight.  Both Theo and Tito are horrible.  Why is the team on pace for 100 wins?  Who gets the credit?  Jesus?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]So Yazzer, let me get this straight.  Both Theo and Tito are horrible.  Why is the team on pace for 100 wins?  Who gets the credit?  Jesus?
    Posted by saxydogg77[/QUOTE]

jesus is no longer with us. he died 2011 years ago.
    i'll give most of the credit to john henry and his never ending supply of cash.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"? : jesus is no longer with us. he died 2011 years ago. i'll give most of the credit to john henry and his never ending supply of cash.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

So in your opinion, yazzer, if we had a competent GM and manager, how many games would we win this season?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"? : So in your opinion, yazzer, if we had a competent GM and manager, how many games would we win this season?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

the sox haven't WON anything yet. with the money spent on this team this year, only an appearance in the WS would be acceptable.
    # of games won doesn't automatically make that happen. (ask seattle)
    btw, a competent GM would never have signed CRAWFORD to such a ridiculous contract. and tito is nothing more than a glorified human resource director.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

What determines who gets a vote in the MOY poll??
    What are the qualifications to get a vote?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]What determines who gets a vote in the MOY poll?? What are the qualifications to get a vote?
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Voting is done by the members of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintJ. Show saintJ's posts

If Torre can win it in 96 and 98, Terry can win it in 11.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"? : Voting is done by the members of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it makes sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Sox had 89 wins last year.If they break 100 wins this year,which is very possible,it will be the first 100(+) win Red Sox team since 1946.It would also represent a 11(+) game improvement.I think Francona has to be in the conversation.
    I also think it's absolutely ridiculous he's never received a 1st place vote.It's a travesty

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox had 89 wins last year.If they break 100 wins this year,which is very possible,it will be the first 100(+) win Red Sox team since 1946.It would also represent a 11(+) game improvement.I think Francona has to be in the conversation. I also think it's absolutely ridiculous he's never received a 1st place vote.It's a travesty
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

well, it is the baseball writers; what the hell do they know?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox had 89 wins last year.If they break 100 wins this year,which is very possible,it will be the first 100(+) win Red Sox team since 1946.It would also represent a 11(+) game improvement.I think Francona has to be in the conversation. I also think it's absolutely ridiculous he's never received a 1st place vote.It's a travesty

Did you not see who votes? It makes perfect sense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"? : well, it is the baseball writers; what the hell do they know?
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

I see you understand why he doesn't get consideration for MOY. Voting is done by fairly knowledgeable baseball people. Baseball is their job. The Red Sox have underachieved with Francona as the manager. They've struggled to make the playoffs a few times. In the 7 plus years that Francona has been manager they should be considered a dynasty and they're not close. Life long loyal Red Sox fans are so grateful for the 2 WS championships, they fail to recognize that this team should have been in 2 or 3 more WS.
    The baseball writers have been correct for the last 7 years. Francona has not earned, nor does he deserve consideration for MOY. A MOY does a great job that particular year and is rewarded with the award. Francona has never even done a good job, neither here or in Philly. Knowledgeable baseball people know this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ron Gardenhire, Mike Scioscia, Joe Maddon, Eric Wedge, Jim Leyland, Ozzie Guillen and Buck Showalter.These are all managers who have been voted by the Baseball writers of America MOY since Francona's been in Boston.
      Do you really believe all of these managers are better than Francona?Really?
     And not even 1 first place vote for Francona during his tenure here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Ron Gardenhire, Mike Scioscia, Joe Maddon, Eric Wedge, Jim Leyland, Ozzie Guillen and Buck Showalter.These are all managers who have been voted by the Baseball writers of America MOY since Francona's been in Boston.   Do you really believe all of these managers are better than Francona?Really?  And not even 1 first place vote for Francona during his tenure here.
    I believe it, and it seems THE BASEBALL WRITERS OF AMERICA also believe it.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think he's ever been in the top 3, never mind #1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona for "Manager of the Year"? : I see you understand why he doesn't get consideration for MOY. Voting is done by fairly knowledgeable baseball people. Baseball is their job. The Red Sox have underachieved with Francona as the manager. They've struggled to make the playoffs a few times. In the 7 plus years that Francona has been manager they should be considered a dynasty and they're not close. Life long loyal Red Sox fans are so grateful for the 2 WS championships, they fail to recognize that this team should have been in 2 or 3 more WS. The baseball writers have been correct for the last 7 years. Francona has not earned, nor does he deserve consideration for MOY. A MOY does a great job that particular year and is rewarded with the award. Francona has never even done a good job, neither here or in Philly. Knowledgeable baseball people know this.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

unfortunately, there's only a few of us on this board.
    anyways, 1941, feel free to join my entourage. it's a very diverse group.
    they have one thing in common; they don't appear to like me.
    i'll need someone to cover my back. someone who also firmly believes that tito sux as a field manager.btw, i'm not too fond of theo's skills as a GM either, but that's my own cross to bear.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Manager of the Year either goes to the manager whose team significantly surpassed pre-season expectations, or to the manager whose club finishes with 100+ wins. If the Red Sox win 100 or more games, Francona will finally get his due. If not, it'll be Mike Scioscia of the Angels (if they overtake the Rangers, or finish within striking distance of them) or Manny Acta of the Indians (if they surge and finish close to the Tigers). Though Joe Maddon probably deserves recognition for hanging tough with the Red Sox and Yankees, no manager of a third place team will win this Award.

In the National League, Kirk Gibson has the award sewn up already. The Diamondbacks have shocked everybody and boast a 5 game lead in the NL West. Charlie Manuel would have won it with the Phillies, or Fredi Gonzalez with the Braves, if the Giants had won the West, as prognosticated. I don't see how this Award can go to anyone other than Gibson. Who do the Diamondbacks have exactly, beyond Justin Upton? Ian Kennedy is their No. 1 starter! On paper, the Diamondbacks are arguably the second worst team in the division.

How I'd vote if the season ended today: Mike Scioscia and Kirk Gibson.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Manager of the Year either goes to the manager whose team significantly surpassed pre-season expectations, or to the manager whose club finishes with 100+ wins. If the Red Sox win 100 or more games, Francona will finally get his due. If not, it'll be Mike Scioscia of the Angels (if they overtake the Rangers, or finish within striking distance of them) or Manny Acta of the Indians (if they surge and finish close to the Tigers). Though Joe Maddon probably deserves recognition for hanging tough with the Red Sox and Yankees, no manager of a third place team will win this Award. In the National League, Kirk Gibson has the award sewn up already. The Diamondbacks have shocked everybody and boast a 5 game lead in the NL West. Charlie Manuel would have won it with the Phillies, or Fredi Gonzalez with the Braves, if the Giants had won the West, as prognosticated. I don't see how this Award can go to anyone other than Gibson. Who do the Diamondbacks have exactly, beyond Justin Upton? Ian Kennedy is their No. 1 starter! On paper, the Diamondbacks are arguably the second worst team in the division. How I'd vote if the season ended today: Mike Scioscia and Kirk Gibson.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

two excellent choices.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Mike Scioscia has already won MOY twice.  IMO he benefits from being in a weak division.  The Angels are only 10 games over .500.

Scioscia supposedly has a big say in personnel decisions, which probably means it was his idea to jettison Mike Napoli and to retain career .196 hitter Jeff Mathis as his #1 catcher.

Count me as a Scioscia skeptic. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

sure give it to him, why not...2-10 start, that's a big hole to dig out of.