Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0

Can someone present me with a plausible explanation why Francona let 
    Beckett bat when the Sox were down 3-0 in the 6th with a man on first and no one out?

You only have 9 outs left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0

Wouldn't it be 12 outs?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Becket was obviously a bit rusty but the sox bats predictably did nothing against Lee anyway. time for changes tito, Gonzo to right ortiz to 1st and reddick in left. oh no Lackey is on the mound for us tomorrow so it wont matter who we have in the lineupCry

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Coma is asleep and has already forgotton he "managed" once in NL

A tired Josh who missed the last start with the flu was begging for this move but our see no evil manager flubbed it again -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

The trifecta for ADG tonight -- three equally draining threads. Don't you just sometimes drain the life out of yourself? I know I've mentioned this before to you.

FTR I have no problem with known posters venting their frustrations, but names that just appear when the team isn't doing well to put up negative threads, to me, is not the same thing. All of these posters, if they were real, would be here all the time. And that would include posting, and not just adding negative threads.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Tito always saves his water until after the fire has burned the building to the ground. Brilliant to put DMac in the 5 hole, getting the only extra base hit. It had a catalystic affect on the rest of the lineup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't know, he was well, under 100 pitches (maybe 76) at that time wasn't he? Thanks to NESN being so modern that little pitch count ticker in the top right corner of the screen really comes in handy.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0:
    I don't know, he was well, under 100 pitches (maybe 76) at that time wasn't he? Thanks to NESN being so modern that little pitch count ticker in the top right corner of the screen really comes in handy.  
    Posted by BurritoT

thats right Burrito..Beckett did only have like 76 pitches..Lee was beating everybody..No reason to take him out and Tax the bullpen unlike some would do on this board..Or its just another reason for yet another "francoma' thread

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thats what I thought, though I only got to watch the game from the 4th inning onward so I did not have the hindsight to how those first 3 runs scored...... seemed the count was low and 3-0 is not the end all. 

It would not have been surprising if our ACE had gone 8 and given up no more than those 3 runs.... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thats what I thought, though I only got to watch the game from the 4th inning onward so I did not have the hindsight to how those first 3 runs scored...... seemed the count was low and 3-0 is not the end all.  It would not have been surprising if our ACE had gone 8 and given up no more than those 3 runs.... 
    Posted by BurritoT

Rookie Dominic brown hit a 2-run dinger off him..Vicrorino hit one as well...I want to say there was another to make it 5-0..He didnt do all that bad for having the flu and 12 days off, but u could see the obvious rust..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes there was that final homer that drove him out of the game...  Beckett certainly will bounce back, this is one of his best years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0:
    Can someone present me with a plausible explanation why Francona let  Beckett bat when the Sox were down 3-0 in the 6th with a man on first and no one out? You only have 9 outs left.
    Posted by ADG

Nine outs if your a Yankee fan...... Check your math A-Rod

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

In Response to Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0:
    Can someone present me with a plausible explanation why Francona let  Beckett bat when the Sox were down 3-0 in the 6th with a man on first and no one out? You only have 9 outs left.
    Posted by ADG

There are several "plausible" reasons why Francona let Beckett bat in the 6th.  He was pitching well and efficiently (only 3 hits and fewer than 80 pitches). 
    Had he not missed his location on one pitch, the game would have been a more of a classic duel between 2 premier pitchers.  Beckett can actually swing the bat pretty well and the way Lee was dealing to both righty and lefty bats, it "probably" would not have mattered who he used to pinch hit.  Beckett tried unsuccessfully to bunt the runner to second which was absolutely the right move given the game situation.  Given a choice between Beckett and Jenks to work the bottom of the 6th in a close game, who would you want to have the ball?   The answer is obvious to knowledgeable fans. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

another obvious answer is that 'coma sux as a field manager.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Wilcy that is 100% ... Jenks or Beckett?  Free pass to the forum asylum if anyone chooses Jenks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A really tough question in the OP because everyone knows that, when the other team's ace is absolutely destroying your lineup and pitches a complete game shutout, when to pinch-hit for the pitcher is the crucial decision. 

I would have let Beckett bat because, strangely enough, he was one of the better bats in the lineup.  Too bad he's a lousy bunter, but, then, so is the rest of the team.  Had Youkilis been available as a pinch-hitter, he could have hit into a double play.  Or even Gonzalez, who leads the team in GIDP's. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Cliff Lee with a 3 run lead is like giving him a 33 run lead.  Especially with the lineup he faced.  That game was over, so it didn't matter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

couldn't bat for beckett as his two best right handed pinch hitters were already in the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

this is why

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=5050061

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

these arguments defending Coma make no sense - if lee was as unhittable as you say, then why not take Josh out and give it a shot if it is that hopeless? (dont even factor in his recent illness)  This was a white-flag lineup and coaching performance by our manager - nothing more nothing less - NO ONE can say with any amount of sincerity that our manager tried to win this game - he didnt and from the time the lineup was created to the last out it was just a pathetic effort by our team

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

these arguments defending Coma make no sense - if lee was as unhittable as you say, then why not take Josh out and give it a shot if it is that hopeless? (dont even factor in his recent illness)  This was a white-flag lineup and coaching performance by our manager - nothing more nothing less - NO ONE can say with any amount of sincerity that our manager tried to win this game - he didnt and from the time the lineup was created to the last out it was just a pathetic effort by our team
    Posted by georom4

What makes no sense is burning your bullpen in a game in which you are getting shut out.
    Lackey is pitching tonight. Think the Sox might need a lot of arms ready?

Any excuse to whine about the manager...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Posted by georom4

Exactly. It's not complicated, it's called quiting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0 : What makes no sense is burning your bullpen in a game in which you are getting shut out. Lackey is pitching tonight. Think the Sox might need a lot of arms ready? Any excuse to whine about the manager...
    Posted by niz-58

And tonight, if Lackey pitches poorly, he'll save his bullpen again, utter nonsense. I don't care who's pitching against the Sox, being down 3 to zip is not time to throw in the towel. The sox lead the league in scoring.
    If the tables were turned, and Francona was managing Lee, he probably would have taken him out after 7 innings or after 8 innings. The Philly manager saw no reason to fix something that isn't broken.
    When the manager inserts players with averages under .150 into a games with a true #1 pitcher going against them, it is the same as saying we concede this game. Seven plus years of this BS, and still, he has his minions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0 : Exactly. It's not complicated, it's called quiting.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Right, the Sox lost because the manager quit.  It couldn't have anything to do with Lee being in one of the best stretches of his career-32 scoreless innings-or Beckett having an off-night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Francona Letting Beckett Bat in 6th Down 3-0 : Right, the Sox lost because the manager quit.  It couldn't have anything to do with Lee being in one of the best stretches of his career-32 scoreless innings-or Beckett having an off-night.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

The Francona haters are downright giddy with the recent record of the Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts