Francona says it's likely Agon WILL play in OF...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Francona says it's likely Agon WILL play in OF...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/pregame_notes_f_26.html?comments=all

I just want to go on record, and say this is patently idiotic. Here's my reasons:

-Huge downgrade defensively at 1st base
    -Huge downgrade defensively in RF
    -The team has been tearing the cover off the ball of late, I think they'd do just fine for a few series' with him as an imposing potential pinch hitter

The risk far outweighs the potential gain. The risk, to me, is definitely not worth the reward.

If Ortiz' or Gonzalez' defense costs them a game, be prepared for a lot of outrage. Even worse, if Gonzalez is hurt playing a position he should never be in...totally unnacceptable.

They err on the side of caution with pitchers and Crawford's hammy, and then do this? Dumb, and inconsistent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Francona says it's likely Agon WILL play in OF...

I agree ma6.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It is what it is, at least it will keep Ortiz's bat fresh.  I actually think Ortiz plays a pretty decent 1B I'd be more concerned with Gonzo in right.

I'll Give Gonzalez all the credit in the world for being open to doing anything for the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

Dumbest idea I've heard in a while, and that's saying alot when you read some of the posts in here.

It's not like the red flops are struggling to score runs right now. Perfect time to give agone a day off here and there and still keep papi's bat fresh.

If agone gets hurt in the OF the red flops are gonna look awfully stupid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Francona says it's likely Agon WILL play in OF...:
    It is what it is, at least it will keep Ortiz's bat fresh.  I actually think Ortiz plays a pretty decent 1B I'd be more concerned with Gonzo in right. I'll Give Gonzalez all the credit in the world for being open to doing anything for the team.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I forgot to touch on keeping Ortiz fresh...

You give AGon one day off in those 2 weeks. Otherwise, you have Ortiz PH for the pitcher every game. Sure, it's only 1 AB compared to the 3-5 he normally gets, but he gets live pitching, and can get some live BP in between. If he gets rusty after that...well, you live with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Francona says it's likely Agon WILL play in OF...:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/pregame_notes_f_26.html?comments=all I just want to go on record, and say this is patently idiotic. Here's my reasons: -Huge downgrade defensively at 1st base -Huge downgrade defensively in RF -The team has been tearing the cover off the ball of late, I think they'd do just fine for a few series' with him as an imposing potential pinch hitter The risk far outweighs the potential gain. The risk, to me, is definitely not worth the reward. If Ortiz' or Gonzalez' defense costs them a game, be prepared for a lot of outrage. Even worse, if Gonzalez is hurt playing a position he should never be in...totally unnacceptable. They err on the side of caution with pitchers and Crawford's hammy, and then do this? Dumb, and inconsistent.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

I'm with you on this. Not only does it make us worse at two positions, it runs the risk of our best player getting injured by playing a position he's not used to.
    I don't mind Ortiz at first, but no way Gonzo should be in right.

Naturally, I understand wanting to have both Gonzalez and Ortiz in the lineup. But as you said, the risk outweighs the potential gain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Francona says it's likely Agon WILL play in OF... : I forgot to touch on keeping Ortiz fresh... You give AGon one day off in those 2 weeks. Otherwise, you have Ortiz PH for the pitcher every game. Sure, it's only 1 AB compared to the 3-5 he normally gets, but he gets live pitching, and can get some live BP in between. If he gets rusty after that...well, you live with it.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Ortiz is our second best hitter in the lineup. Period, no debating that. Our lineup will not continue producing 8-12 runs a game, having the Ortiz we've had in this lineup for the rest of the season is huge for the success of this team. I feel like you're seriously downplaying how well Ortiz has been doing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Francona says it's likely Agon WILL play in OF... : I forgot to touch on keeping Ortiz fresh... You give AGon one day off in those 2 weeks. Otherwise, you have Ortiz PH for the pitcher every game. Sure, it's only 1 AB compared to the 3-5 he normally gets, but he gets live pitching, and can get some live BP in between. If he gets rusty after that...well, you live with it.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Hey I'm not defending AGON in the outfield I'm just looking at the bright side of this.  As Babe said if Gonzo gets hurt the RED SOX!!!! look pretty stupid.  If you ask me I say you bite the bullet and let Ortiz get that 1 at-bat per game, and let Ortiz start one or two games during inter league play in which case Gonzo still gets a couple atbats.   I think we can all live if Adrian Gonzalez only starts 160 games for us this year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/pregame_notes_f_26.html?comments=all I just want to go on record, and say this is patently idiotic. Here's my reasons: -Huge downgrade defensively at 1st base -Huge downgrade defensively in RF -The team has been tearing the cover off the ball of late, I think they'd do just fine for a few series' with him as an imposing potential pinch hitter The risk far outweighs the potential gain. The risk, to me, is definitely not worth the reward. If Ortiz' or Gonzalez' defense costs them a game, be prepared for a lot of outrage. Even worse, if Gonzalez is hurt playing a position he should never be in...totally unnacceptable. They err on the side of caution with pitchers and Crawford's hammy, and then do this? Dumb, and inconsistent.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Agreed ! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Here's an idea......

Papi at SS  :)   :)   win - win???    :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by ma6dragon9

If Adrian gets hurt and loses significant time I guess we all know who to blame.  Not the brighest idea just to keep David in the lineup.  Hopefully everything goes well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Idiotic, stupid, mornonic to even consider AGon in RF.  Houston sucks, and can be beaten with Pawtucket's lineup.  NO need for AGon and Papi to have to be in the same lineup all 3 games.  AGon plays two, Papi one, and the other is available off the bench.  The one on the bench will be guaranteed an AB in the game they aren't starting

Pittsburgh isn't much better.  Francona can use the same strategy as against Houston.

Basically over the 9 games, Agon plays 6 and Papi plays 3.  To put a 20+ million investment in a position he has never played before is begging for disaster!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This shows Tito's minimization of defense as a major factor in winning games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

the positive side of this decision is that "IT WILL REDUCE DREW'S PLAYING TIME."
    so, it's not all bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Whatever happened to "run prevention" 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It is a complicated issue. The two players account for 106 of the 386 RBI the team has this season. In terms of runs the top five guys in the order are where most of the production comes from 234 out of the 390 plus runs scored belong to 1-5 in the order. Another 58 is on the DL. So taking one of the most productive bats out of the line-up is tough.

What I am trying to say is the problem beyond the issues with the two players involved getting rusty is that the OF without Crawford is sub par in its production aside from Ellsbury and that we are league average at best at SS and C. It would be one less thing to consider if Drew wasn't one of five worst offensive OFers in the league and Crawford was healthy.  

But beyond that sitting either guy for any extended period of time risks their getting out of sync and impacting more than a game or two. And while it is looking way ahead, if the RS were fortunate enough to make it to the WS shouldn't they know if they had their backs against the wall if they should even consider fielding their best offensive team in the NL park?

On the flip side the right side of the field is far weaker defensively. If an injury happens to either player in the field Francona knows that the media and fan base will roast him.

But they will roast him if Ortiz is sporadically used because of the no DH rule and either player ends up on an extended slump. It will be because Francoma can't think out of the box that Ortiz missed too much time and lost his groove or that he should have known to take advantage of the 9 game interleague stretch to rest Adrian.

Not a fun place to be. My guess is that we might see Adrian in RF for a game versus a tough RH and if that isn't a disaster maybe one more game. We won't see that in Houston. Adrian probably gets a day off in Pittsburgh and a day off in Houston. I am sure that Epstein is involved in the thought process BTW, it would be the smart play on Tito's part to seek his GM's opinions.

Rotten break getting a 9 game road trip in interleague...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Fivekatz,

I was just working on similar stats, but with a slightly different twist. 

In terms of run production, the seven best Sox hitters this season have been AGon, Ortiz, Youk, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Crawford, and Lowrie--to the tune of 75% of the runs scored and/or batted in.   

The problem right now is that two of those seven are on the DL, leaving five.  Making Ortiz the designated pinch hitter will basically leave four.  So I think Francona has reason to worry about offensive production in NL parks even though Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, and Youk will still provide some pretty good offense.  Plus Reddick just might stay hot, who know?  And Salty/Tek have been above average for catchers. 

Ortiz has played first before and been adequate.  Heck, Ted Williams played first base a few times.  With Youk or AGon, you can see the advantage of a great fielding first baseman, but adequate will work.  AGon in RF is a more of a stretch because he is definitely slow, but he still has the good hands, the good arm, and some experience playing there in the winter league.  He will be better than Youk was in left a few years back. 

There is a risk of an injury, but I don't think it is great. 

Here's the best part.  Francona can do this on a game by game basis.  He can look at the opposing pitcher and the NL park and decide whether moving AGon to right and Ortiz to 1B is worth a trial run.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, it's just one game. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

Whatever happened to "run prevention" 

Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

That was so last year........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

This is why interleague plays suck...IMO.  I hate the the decision even needs to be considered.

I do not think you'll see them both in there all nine games.  I'd bet at least 3 games one of them will sit...maybe Ortiz gets 2 days off and AGon at least 1.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

What position was Puljols playing when he got hurt?? Oh That's right it was his "Normal" Position. Players get hurt all the time, Drew has been hurt since the winter before he got on this team. I too applaud A-Gon for being a Team player !! This may be one of the very few decisions Tito makes this season that I can agree with !! I also agree with posters that this team should be just fine going against the teams we'll be playing on this road trip. A Nice balance of rest and Out of Position Play should work wonders on the trip and the Sox will finish it going 7-2. I am shocked that Tito has actually thought a little out of the box !! LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This is why interleague plays suck...IMO.  I hate the the decision even needs to be considered. I do not think you'll see them both in there all nine games.  I'd bet at least 3 games one of them will sit...maybe Ortiz gets 2 days off and AGon at least 1.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth

Actually, I think this is why interleague play is fun for the fans.  It's weird that the leagues have split on this issue without resolving it, but fascinating for fans. 

If you want to blame anyone, blame Ortiz for being the best DH in the world this year.  If he were lousy, the decision would be so simple. 

AGon will not sit, period.  He has played every game to date for two reasons:  he is hands down the team MVP and very likely the AL MVP; he wants to play every day. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Last night and today point to why Francona can't afford to assume the offense will always produce enough runs to win.  Last night Aceves gave up 4 and Wheeler the 5th run, and the Sox, despite 13 hits, couldn't bring more than 4 home and lost.  Today Lackey struggled and put the Sox in a hole. 

The point is the Sox have very good hitting when everyone is healthy and allowed to play (that is, DH), but not so great when the other team is pitching well and/or not the best hitters are available. 

Ortiz's OPS is over 1.000 and among the top five in the AL.  Francona can not be blamed for wanting to keep that bat in the lineup in NL parks. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mazzpep. Show mazzpep's posts

Come on guys. Agon is an athlete. Yes, he's incredibly slow. But, yes, he can play rightfield, as well as left if necessary for up to nine games. He's not going to hurt himself out there. Ellsbury, who has been great commanding the outfield will cover any range problems with Gonzo. He's a smart guy. He will always be prepared to throw to the right base, etc....You've got a lot of time between pitches to figure it out!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts