Francona self-medicated as manager...admits it book

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Re: Francona self-medicated as manager...admits it book

You know, I was glad to see him go. Every time and I do mean every time they put him on camera all he seemed interested in doing was stuffing his mouth with bubble gum.  Can you imagine what his teeth was like?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Francona had/has a multitude of medical conditions and issues. The RX's were prescribed by treating medical Dr's, not a meth lab.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Francona had/has a multitude of medical conditions and issues. The RX's were prescribed by treating medical Dr's, not a meth lab.

Trying to confuse the haters with facts again? ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What happened to the OP? I'll be glad when they finally get the software straightened out here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

He may have popped a few painkillers.  But his succesor spent an entire season speedballing cocaine, heroin and LSD for good measure.  I mean, thats really the only way to explain his 'managerial' exploits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

He also lived by himself in a hotel room in the seaport district during the entire 2011 season as he went through a nasty divorce.  He also had the nads to admit it affected his job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

He may have popped a few painkillers.  But his succesor spent an entire season speedballing cocaine, heroin and LSD for good measure.  I mean, thats really the only way to explain his 'managerial' exploits.

I don't think drugs are necessary to explain Bobby V. Just a narcissistic self absorbed personality.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

What happened to the OP? I'll be glad when they finally get the software straightened out here.

I don't think it's the software, carnie. I think the mods are doing their jobs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't think drugs are necessary to explain Bobby V. Just a narcissistic self absorbed personality.

Good point Carnie.  No doubt about that.  I mean, we knew we were getting Narcissus Inacrnate when Larry Lar decided to goose the ratings sexiness and hire his boy Bobby V.  

But, in my eyes, only fiend-worthy hard drug cocktails can explain his nightly baseball decisions and ensuing heroin-nod press conferences.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Was the OP offensive? I didn't see that. At least it wasn't as offensive as a typical softlaw screed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Was the OP offensive? I didn't see that. At least it wasn't as offensive as a typical softlaw screed.

Apparently, they thought so or  just tired of Geo railing on Francona;)  Maybe should scrap the entire thread.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Lots of people self medicate.  Tell me that either you or someone close to you has never done it.

If nothing else, Francona's knee(s) forced him out of baseball.   Do you think that his knee miracuously got back to 100% as he aged.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Lots of people self medicate.  Tell me that either you or someone close to you has never done it.

If nothing else, Francona's knee(s) forced him out of baseball.   Do you think that his knee miracuously got back to 100% as he aged.

i think he was admitting it affected him as manager that last yr...of course everyone has done it...thats not the point...hes trying to be honest in his book

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The impression I got is that he was taking pain killers when he was in pain as opposed to asking a doctor when to take them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to charliedarling's comment:

i think he was admitting it affected him as manager that last yr...of course everyone has done it...thats not the point...hes trying to be honest in his book

I would take Francona high as a kite over a perfectly sober Valentine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I don't think this is a good subject at all. I always was on his tail about his managerial moves.... and it was time for him to go. However bringing up medication implies it affected his managing... I have serious doubts about that.

The book does serve one purpose to me... lets us know that the ownership really is not one to be admired.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I would take Francona high as a kite over a perfectly sober Valentine.

[/QUOTE]

Same here, I'm anxious to read his book, I think his observations should be most interesting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Is narcissistic self absorbed the new term for completely crazy? Then he's a narcissistic self absorbed personality.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Strangeglove's comment:

You know, I was glad to see him go. Every time and I do mean every time they put him on camera all he seemed interested in doing was stuffing his mouth with bubble gum.  Can you imagine what his teeth was like?

So glad you showed up on the board. Your posts have been riveting. I mean the guy was chewing gum. Outrageous!

FTR most of his time was spend eating sunflower seeds. But don't let that fact get in the way of your ridiculous post.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Is narcissistic self absorbed the new term for completely crazy? Then he's a narcissistic self absorbed personality.

I don't think Bobby V is narcisstic; but he was definitely the wrong guy for this team. The goal was to shake up the culture, and while the idea may have been good since he was supposed to be the "anti-Francona", and while it wasn't for a lack of trying, as well as being a very smart baseball guy. his shortcomings only made things much worse. It wouldn't surprise me if Farrell was a 1 yr Mgr as well; it's a tough task, when you consider all the elements; perhaps the only job harder is President. When Farrell sees how good his former team is, he may have misgivings as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I don't think Bobby V is narcisstic; but he was definitely the wrong guy for this team. The goal was to shake up the culture, and while the idea may have been good since he was supposed to be the "anti-Francona", and while it wasn't for a lack of trying, as well as being a very smart baseball guy. his shortcomings only made things much worse. It wouldn't surprise me if Farrell was a 1 yr Mgr as well; it's a tough task, when you consider all the elements; perhaps the only job harder is President. When Farrell sees how good his former team is, he may have misgivings as well.

Bobby V is out of his mind. Like I said a while ago, there's no way they didn't know that. You could easily tell just by having one conversation with him. I'm assuming they had at least one. I don't believe he was hired as the anti-Francona. They could have hired alot of different not-crazy people to do that. It may have been a favor, maybe because of his ESPN ties. It was obvious they were going to hire him no matter who they interviewed. No sane person would do that unless they thought they were getting coverage in return.

The coverage turned out to be negative about the team, with Bobby leading the way. It's possible they wanted the negative coverage on the team, or at least the players they weren't happy with. A lot of players got tossed during that time. I don't believe that's an accident.

Sections
Shortcuts